Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

BMan posted:

lol have you seen the MSFS release
No idea what that is or Wasteland 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheLoneStar posted:

No idea what that is or Wasteland 3.
flight simulator 2020 has a load of problems, same with wasteland 3 released by inxile (a microsoft company now)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tenzarin posted:

Here's some more info on the bethesda microsoft thing. It's alittle more complex than how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwk3iHTZA04

Haven't watched the video yet, but I've been thinking for a while that ZeniMax was looking to sell. Corporations want growth, and that plateaued after Skyrim. Idk the specific numbers for FO4, but I doubt it did much much better than Skyrim. And with the exception of Doom, I don't think any of their studios came close to similar sales numbers. None of their other initiatives have fared that much better. With the exception of Fallout Shelter, I think all their forays into mobile have been a failure.

Then there's FO76. Whilst probably not the unmitigated disaster most people see it as, it illustrated how precarious the video game business is. It probably looked like a sure fire hit and long term golden goose in their internal projections. Not saying they lost money on it, but I doubt they're content with it, not to mention the damage the IP/reputation took.

I was thinking they'd sell but I didn't know who or when, but in retrospect MS is a natural fit, and all things considered, probably not the worst outcome for us.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Not saying Fallout 1st is on its way out or anything, but (per Ninja Theory) MS have been giving their new studios lots of freedom including monetization or lack thereof. So I'm curious to see what Bethesda will do in the future about monetization since they no longer have an owner breathing down their neck to shoehorn microtransactions into everything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I'm not mistaken, MS's own track record with mtx isn't great. And I think they might have different expectations from its mass market cash cow than from than the indie plus developers they use to fill out their catalog.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

no business is going to stop doing things that rake in money unless doing so lets them rake in even more money

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

(hypothetical) Wasteland 3 mtx -> peanuts

Skyrim 2 mtx/sub -> not peanuts

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fallout first is pretty much what is keeping the game going. Whales are out there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Virtually everyone I saw during my last playtime was a Firster

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds like a matchmaking trick Activision would pull

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Like y’all wouldn’t pay $4.99 for an additional 800 stash space.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im not sure id bother playing the game without 1st tbh

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It is extremely not necessary to have unlimited junk storage, certainly not $10 buck a month, jesus.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

xxEightxx posted:

Berke Negri posted:

you are all fuckers

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28klp1qQGI

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

xxEightxx posted:

Berke Negri posted:

We have failed Vault Boy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

xxEightxx posted:

I already fell for that scam with ESO. They really love adding in the basic things that make the game more bearable to play behind a pay wall. In Elder Scrolls Online, its the unlimited crafting bag that hold unlimited crafting materials. You can play without it but there are so many crafting skills and item ranks that your head will just explode playing bank tetris.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, where would you guys like to see the next Fallout game? New states only, or at least ones without heavy focus.

For me, it'd be Alaska or Hawaii as my first picks. Alaska because a snowy region, outside of Operation: Anchorage, has really barely been explored in the series. And even though we've been there and it's been talked about a lot, we only truly saw it in a simulation, seeing the Post-War version might be neat and there might be a lot of old military areas or tech to explore/collect. That, and it's such an isolated state compared to most of the others. It's only really connected to Canada. I know Fallout is really all about the U.S. for the most part, but getting a tiny peek into another country could be nice, even if it's juts people that have crossed the state line and been to Canada. And, heck, Canada was annexed in the Fallout lore, so that's close enough...maybe.

Hawaii, a part of it there too is the vastly different setting and the isolation. The remnants of a tropical island is rarely seen in post-apocalyptic media, so it'd be a neat thing to explore. And, again, it's so isolated that it'd be a neat way to start totally fresh, in a sense. No NCR. No Institute. No Legion. Though knowing Bethesda, somehow the Brotherhood would manage to get a ton of their soldiers across the ocean and onto a extremely far away island they'd have little hopes of navigating to. And probably a lab there to make Super Mutants because of loving course.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I would like to see one in the USSR but the fallout games have made china the huge communism evil super power in their games. I donno if I want a fallout in china.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

So, where would you guys like to see the next Fallout game? New states only, or at least ones without heavy focus.

For me, it'd be Alaska or Hawaii as my first picks. Alaska because a snowy region, outside of Operation: Anchorage, has really barely been explored in the series. And even though we've been there and it's been talked about a lot, we only truly saw it in a simulation, seeing the Post-War version might be neat and there might be a lot of old military areas or tech to explore/collect. That, and it's such an isolated state compared to most of the others. It's only really connected to Canada. I know Fallout is really all about the U.S. for the most part, but getting a tiny peek into another country could be nice, even if it's juts people that have crossed the state line and been to Canada. And, heck, Canada was annexed in the Fallout lore, so that's close enough...maybe.

Hawaii, a part of it there too is the vastly different setting and the isolation. The remnants of a tropical island is rarely seen in post-apocalyptic media, so it'd be a neat thing to explore. And, again, it's so isolated that it'd be a neat way to start totally fresh, in a sense. No NCR. No Institute. No Legion. Though knowing Bethesda, somehow the Brotherhood would manage to get a ton of their soldiers across the ocean and onto a extremely far away island they'd have little hopes of navigating to. And probably a lab there to make Super Mutants because of loving course.

A mid pacific refueling and staging point with a significant military presence in a nuke fight with china is going to be targeted with so many nukes it'll still be glowing green 500 years later. And past that, what big bad is still going to be on the island? You maybe have a band of ghoul pirates/raiders and thats about it.

And shoehorning the BOS in wouldn't be hard. 76 established that the US military had some kind of limited communication ability for a couple years after the war, the chapter in west virginia even talks about it and how they became a bos chapter after talking with the original brotherhood chapter at mariposa. Rinse and repeat for the hawaii chapter. :v:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Elmnt80 posted:

A mid pacific refueling and staging point with a significant military presence in a nuke fight with china is going to be targeted with so many nukes it'll still be glowing green 500 years later. And past that, what big bad is still going to be on the island? You maybe have a band of ghoul pirates/raiders and thats about it.

And shoehorning the BOS in wouldn't be hard. 76 established that the US military had some kind of limited communication ability for a couple years after the war, the chapter in west virginia even talks about it and how they became a bos chapter after talking with the original brotherhood chapter at mariposa. Rinse and repeat for the hawaii chapter. :v:
I mean, D.C. would be hit a lot harder, wouldn't it? And we got a game set there. And same way everywhere else still has people, even ones not from Vaults. I don't remember there being much explanation for the many, many non-Ghoul inhabitants of the wastes that don't seem connected to Vaults at all. Might just be forgetting something.

I'll be honest, I've avoided almost everything 76-related, especially after hearing whispers of the Brotherhood being involved. I never knew the specifics and I just really hate how Bethesda has to force the Brotherhood, Deathclaws, and Super Mutants into everything. At least with the Brotherhood that they pop up in really out-of-the-way place and generally take center stage in their stories.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

76 is gonna be as uncanoned as hard as brotherhood of steel by the time the next fallout comes out, not that Beth ever gave a poo poo about canon.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I bet in the next 30 years when fallout 5 comes out that they include a scorchbeast. Just to save money on the model.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thanks to Fallout 4 and 76, the enthusiasm for the upcoming fallout is completely gone for me. Even if Microsoft did buy everything, there is no way they will hand it off to obsidian

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I feel that Fallout is about Americana (false peppiness of the 50s atmosphere vs horribly declining actual conditions etc, still very timely) and should really continue to be set there. Other countries do stories with their own distinct flavour of post-apocalypse- Stalker, Underrail, Atom RPG etc

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I sure hope they don't assassin's creed the fallout game series. Fallout london, fallout japan, fallout vikings.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
One that tells china’s side of the story and it ends by the protagonist getting waffle stomped by liberty prime.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

TheLoneStar posted:

chicago

edit:

TheLoneStar posted:

I'll be honest, I've avoided almost everything 76-related, especially after hearing whispers of the Brotherhood being involved. I never knew the specifics and I just really hate how Bethesda has to force the Brotherhood, Deathclaws, and Super Mutants into everything. At least with the Brotherhood that they pop up in really out-of-the-way place and generally take center stage in their stories.

76 is fine with the brotherhood, as that they're already all dead by the time you start, saving you the trouble

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 29, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fallout 4 is better than you think

I can imagine the response if I post this in the FNV thread, but what do you guys think?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
FO4 is a better shooter than the other games, but FO4 is dumb as poo poo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I like Fallout 4 and having beaten it twice I think its a lot of fun. :kiddo:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The explanation for the Brotherhood's presence in Appalachia was fine. Same with super mutants. The pre-war America of the Fallout series was all of the fascism and laissez-faire capitalism of our America turned up to 11 with shady black ops poo poo literally everywhere so it really doesn't take much to justify West Coast Fallout stuff showing up everywhere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I turned off the video where his point is picking up scrap in FO4 is engaging gameplay. Sorry British youtuber I ain't buying.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea I disagree with some thing in that video (collecting junk sucks, I just console in all the materials) but I do enjoy running around in Fallout 4, mainly because I don't have it completely memorized like I do New Vegas so I can still be surprised sometimes.

The story and factions though? Woof. I like the Brotherhood and Minutemen well enough as possible factions to join but the Railroad and Institute are just terrible and the whole Shaun thing is bad but that's been picked apart to death already.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"In Fallout 5, you are looking for your ____"

*bethesda writer thinking harder than he ever has before*

"brother"

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Xander77 posted:

Fallout 4 is better than you think

I can imagine the response if I post this in the FNV thread, but what do you guys think?

Fo4 is a good game. NV people hate fo4 and 76 because it doesn’t give user freedom to approach situations in different ways, but 4 and 76 don’t really try to be that sort of game. Better or worse is an opinion about what the games should be, not a review of what they are.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Many a True Nerd is kind of a shill like every Youtuber but I don't think either Fallout 3 or 4 are without merit, they're just not what I want out of the franchise. I'd forgive every other flaw if Emil Pagliano fell into an open well and never wrote anything ever again.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

NV is one of my favourite games of all time and I'm a noted Skyrim-disliker, but when I got around to FO4 I was pleasantly surprised. It was nowhere near NV, but it really did feel like Bethesda had at least tried (definitely not always successfully, maybe even mostly not successfully) to learn stuff from what Obsidian did with NV. Also the Boston city skyline and the spot the game dumps you when you fast travel to Diamond City are really pretty and visually striking scenes imo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

I would like to see one in the USSR but the fallout games have made china the huge communism evil super power in their games. I donno if I want a fallout in china.

Fallout is America's visions of the future during the cold war all mixed together. Would fallout china be america from the 50s visions of china (the most racist game ever produced), china's vision of the future in the 50s (an extremely cool idea for a game but wouldn't be fallout at all), or just some generic sci-fi story that happened to have a supermutant and a vault boy so you knew it was fallout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly my single biggest beef with Fallout 4 is the voice acted protagonist and "Sean" gutting my ability to roleplay in my rpg. If you're gonna give your lead a voice and a set personality commit to it and give them an actual personality, history and relationships. Or better yet don't do any of that, leave them silent and let me roleplay. I love me some Witcher 3 and JRPGs but they aren't what Im looking for in a Bethesda game.