Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I feel like the Bowie stuff was another Colbert issue where if they’d known it would have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In my opinion the Sovereign didn't get hit with a moron ray - his time was up. He made a deal with the investors, and they were ready to collect.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

When the Sovereign first appeared it was cool and mysterious that he was Bowie and just randomly had magic powers and turned into an eagle.

When they started getting deeper into the Guild story and it was obvious they would have to do something with the leader, it made sense to retcon the Bowie thing because it would be kinda weird to make someone they were a fan of some scheming murderous rear end in a top hat.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Sovereign was revealed as not really Bowie in Season 5 in the episode where we last see Mol. The OSI one. I believe Bowie was still publicly known to be healthy and fine and he certainly wasn't dead yet. When Brock is interrogating Monstroso he asks him who/where the Sovereign is and Monstroso gives him Bowie's address and Brock tells him to cut the bullshit since they both know that the Sovereign isn't really Bowie.
Although he is probably the creature on the cover of Diamond Dogs.

The Sovereign's death was ambiguous enough - can always say Headshot just shot some other random eagle - that if we ever did/do get more seasons/specials that he could come back and given how wheels within wheels most things involving the Guild, OSI, and spy poo poo on the show is, I think they could retcon him back to being Bowie if they wanted.
Particularly since I feel like that's the one thing most fans universally agree was a mis-step. Although I do kind of like the pathos and vibes of the Sovereign at the end. 'Just someone who wanted to be anyone else.'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Having the Sovereign come back would be dumb. There's no need for him after Sheila worked so hard rebuilding the guild. If anything, they should just poo poo on him and tell him to piss off. If he really is just some kid that wanted to be anything other than himself, he should just go somewhere else and be that. From how things went when they were in New York, it sounds like he ignored all the other guild chapters and just focused on the Colorado one where the council of 13 was.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
having David Bowie as the leader of organized villainy was funny and cool but I don't think having it be some nameless faceless shapeshifter who used his ability to give himself an important place in the world was a mistake either

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If Sovereign comes back it should be as a nod just in the background. He's moved on to just being an average joe he works at a coffee shop and yet still looks like David Bowie.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Speaking of Bowie, let's not forget that Red Mantle and Dragoon are Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whatever happened to ritchie valens

Unmature
May 9, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Speaking of Bowie, let's not forget that Red Mantle and Dragoon are Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.

And that they accidentally invented hip hop!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hank actually points out that the Sovereign specifically looks like David Bowie in the 70s. While there's already some fun gags with a number of real world celebrities being Guild members, I think it works that the Sovereign just uses the look as his persona- making it a multilayer facade given he has the creepy hologram head already at the start.

I do love that he takes the form of Jonas at first to mess with Dr Mrs The Monarch and she doesn't even seem particularly surprised. Though a big part of the Soverign is everyone underestimates him- after all, it was piss easy for him to start the Pyramid Wars by impersonating SPHINX Commander, though I get the feeling the OSI had no idea of his existence at that point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

, it was piss easy for him to start the Pyramid Wars by impersonating SPHINX Commander, though I get the feeling the OSI had no idea of his existence at that point.

I don’t think the OSI even knew for sure the Guild was still around at that point. There’s a flashback scene from around then where someone gives Brock and Hunter poo poo for going after them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think the OSI even knew for sure the Guild was still around at that point. There’s a flashback scene from around then where someone gives Brock and Hunter poo poo for going after them.

The whole subplot of the flashback episode were we find out the origin of Phantom Limb's abilities and Billy's hand is Brock and Hunter trying to prove CGI still existed. That's how Billy/Pete got mixed up in OSI's crap to begin with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

The whole subplot of the flashback episode were we find out the origin of Phantom Limb's abilities and Billy's hand is Brock and Hunter trying to prove CGI still existed. That's how Billy/Pete got mixed up in OSI's crap to begin with.

Oh, yep, you’re right. And Rusty is done with college in that, so it’s definitely post Movie Night.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh, yep, you’re right. And Rusty is done with college in that, so it’s definitely post Movie Night.

Another suffering bastard!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'M LOOKING RIGHT AT HIM.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'M LOOKING RIGHT AT HIM.

Oh ha ha!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, even though I agree "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner" isn't the strongest episode and Bud Manstrong isn't a great character, but it has one of the best line deliveries in the whole series.

quote:

"Did he offer you vice president?"
"He did! And I told him he could take that job and stick, he could stick, and take-- He could take the job he could it-- I RAN AWAY!"

Unmature
May 9, 2008
You’re in for a world of SUCK!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh come on. Everyone knows the best part of that episode is THE NOZZLE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still say the OSI likely has a ton of mad science doodads laying around that they've forgotten what they are or what they're for. (So does the Guild, for that matter, but they do just outright steal poo poo, so)

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm rewatching the last season (ever, I guess), and I forgot how good it was at wrapping up a ton of plot points.

I still have no idea why the guys went so hard on Sharky's Machine though.

Also,

Who wore it better?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sharkey’s Machine / movie night was established as canon in season 1

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

They love the length of the joke becoming the joke itself see Nozzle. Going overboard is funny as long as it's not the sole focus just something you keep coming back to. Which they are also good at.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Brock I'm all out of Condom, can you pick me up one if you go out?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

MadJackal posted:

I'm rewatching the last season (ever, I guess), and I forgot how good it was at wrapping up a ton of plot points.

I still have no idea why the guys went so hard on Sharky's Machine though.

Also,

Who wore it better?

Something I only noticed on a rewatch was Augustus St. Cloud's various background appearances before his proper debut in season 5, starting all the way back in Tag Sale - You're It! (credited as "Girly Mag Scientist")

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Sharky's Machine worth watching?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Please do not be alarmed. We are about to engage... the Nozzle.

Please do not move while the Nozzle is engaging. Moving will disrupt calibration of... the Nozzle.

Please wait while we calibrate... the Nozzle.

Please do not look away from... the Nozzle.

The Nozzle is now calibrating.

The Nozzle is still calibrating.

The Nozzle has completed calibration. Thank you.

I wonder how many people caught on the original Guild (before they went evil) was actually what the OSI also came from. If you looked at their icon it has both CI and OSI symbols.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I wish Jackson had let Doc keep his very very very obscure 19th century mystics as the original guild. I love rabbit hole in jokes that only the creator and maybe 10 other people understand.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

I wish Jackson had let Doc keep his very very very obscure 19th century mystics as the original guild. I love rabbit hole in jokes that only the creator and maybe 10 other people understand.

They are extra fun in Venture Bros because everything is a reference. If I don't get a reference it's one more thing to consume and enjoy. Then I can rewatch the episode and get the joke that much more.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is Sharky's Machine worth watching?

it's ok. it's not a bad film, if anything it's decently good - not groundbreaking or anything but competently done. it's definitely just a gritty 80's cop movie and a vehicle for burt reynolds. very likely the reason it became VB canon is because of the tenuous pop culture obsession of doc and jackson thinking the film title sounds menacing when it becomes a point of trauma and dark history for bud manstrong. it's got nothing to do otherwise with any ventureverse stuff

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
What is the quintessential Venture Bros episode? For be it will always be Ghosts of the Sargasso. It was the first episode I ever saw and has almost everything in it. You get to see old team Venture, music references, Rusty and crew on a modern "adventure", Rusty's failed legacy on full display, the boys being the boys ("Hank, if there was ever a time I need you to not be Hank, it's right now"), Brock being a murder machine, cheesy Scooby-Do villains, and even a Doctor O cameo.

Arguably the only thing missing is Molotov and the Monarch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TerminalRaptor posted:

What is the quintessential Venture Bros episode? For be it will always be Ghosts of the Sargasso. It was the first episode I ever saw and has almost everything in it. You get to see old team Venture, music references, Rusty and crew on a modern "adventure", Rusty's failed legacy on full display, the boys being the boys ("Hank, if there was ever a time I need you to not be Hank, it's right now"), Brock being a murder machine, cheesy Scooby-Do villains, and even a Doctor O cameo.

Agreed. I feel like Molotov/The Monarch would only drag that episode down, for having a little bit of everything in it it’s super-focused.

E:The funeral one is similar like that but less Johnny Quest-y.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TerminalRaptor posted:

Yeah it or Tag Sale You're It are definitely towards the top of the list, at least for Season 1 episodes

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Escape From The House Of Mummies Part II is thr quintessential VBros episode, it has almost everything you could ask for and it's extremely funny. Sargasso is a good choice too tho

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hughesta posted:

Escape From The House Of Mummies Part II is thr quintessential VBros episode, it has almost everything you could ask for and it's extremely funny. Sargasso is a good choice too tho

Escape From The House Of Mummies without a doubt, that encapsulates the original premise of the show perfectly

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

multijoe posted:

Escape From The House Of Mummies without a doubt, that encapsulates the original premise of the show perfectly

I wasn’t able to catch VB all the time then and remember frantically searching the internet wondering how I missed episode 1.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

multijoe posted:

Thank god it was the first episode I ever saw. If I'd seen some episode that was less of a Quest/adventure riff I may not have given the show a fair shake.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm a big fan of Viva Los Muertos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pixaal posted:

They are extra fun in Venture Bros because everything is a reference. If I don't get a reference it's one more thing to consume and enjoy. Then I can rewatch the episode and get the joke that much more.

If something is clearly a reference and you don't get it, then that's just a reason to watch the whole show again later in life and maybe you've seen the thing it references by then.