Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

It is almost like that person has no idea what ai is or what npcs in other games do

like do they think that npcs in other games...can't identify and path to a player? or that even extremely extremely simple scripts cant provide for different actions in response to external conditions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

trucutru posted:

They can sell ship skins, player homes, in-game collectables - you name it, none of which would substantially advantage a player in the game. Every year we have the IAE which is held at a convention centre in the game, we also have the Chairman's Club Lounges and the Million Mile High Club. What does that mean? It means that they can gate off parts of the game so that only those who 'qualify' can access that part of the game universe - if they want to sell tickets for real money to in-game events like the IAE they can do that, they can sell tickets to the VIP boxes for the Murray Cup Racing and SataBall tournaments. They can also make other events and locations, they can create 'guest star appearance events' if they wish, you don't even need the guest stars to come into a studio, they can play via FOiP and VOiP from home. There are lot's of ways to raise money that wouldn't prevent a player from progressing in the game if they chose not to partake.

StarCirizer: Whatever Marvel and Disney can do, Star Citizen can do.

The idea of selling tickets to a santaball game got the biggest :lol: from me. When was the last time cig even mentioned santaball?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

It is almost like that person has no idea what ai is or what npcs in other games do

like do they think that npcs in other games...can't identify and path to a player? or that even extremely extremely simple scripts cant provide for different actions in response to external conditions?

CR hit that gold box of rich adults who want to relive their youth. There's probably not going to be another lightning strike like that because games have gotten mainstream now.

But this group hit that area where playing games was still shunned, and you were not cool because you knew how to even turn on a computer. It was even worse if you were a girl because there was not really a girl friend group who also played games, though sometimes you found another. You didn't exactly make it your identity though.

These people who liked computers though in that area were probably growing into the dot com group and became tech gurus and other stuff with high paying jobs. Not all of them, but I'm sure there's a lot of these Uber backers who are that group.

They got money, a family, probably multiple cars and are in this "happy zone" between wanting to be some wild adventurer and seeing the world but also ties down to family and paying for a kid or two through college. These guys don't mind plunking down money for what they want, and yes, the last games they did play probably were 15 or so years ago. Or they are like me and their "gamer"-ness these days is reading about games and maybe watching some YouTube videos, but not really playing games because you don't really have time or inclination.

Hitting this group is that rare incident we might not see again this lifetime as far as rich people with jobs and are free and loose with their money.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bubbacub posted:

The idea of selling tickets to a santaball game got the biggest :lol: from me. When was the last time cig even mentioned santaball?

When Enders Game was in theaters/ending its run, so around 2013.

This was part of where everybody started to believe CR just stole whatever he could from popular movies/games as they came out and said "and so can my game, only even better than they did it!!"

It was the epitome of a childish developer who believed he could do anything every other game studio could do and had a huge chip on his shoulder.

You can see how far that hubris got him today.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

huh

(its one spanish guy with 57k)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Players can buy apartments, houses, condo's you name it. They will have various levels from luxury or executive to worker and slum housing. There will be hotels both planetside and in space stations.

You can buy land to build your own home to your specifications but that will be very expensive. As with all such things in the game that do not directly affect a players ability to progress there will likely be real world money options as well as in game currency options.

During the 2018 CitizenCon presentation when at TEASA Spaceport (just after looking at the Kraken) Chris talks about the levels of accommodation players will be able to buy and rent in Lorville. There will be an executive district with tended gardens and terraces etc, which isn't in the game yet.

How would this suit you? With your own private landing pad?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bubbacub posted:

Might be the same guy but I remember someone saying how they would like to gamble on sataball matches from the deck of their 890j.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

When Enders Game was in theaters/ending its run, so around 2013.

This was part of where everybody started to believe CR just stole whatever he could from popular movies/games as they came out and said "and so can my game, only even better than they did it!!"

It was the epitome of a childish developer who believed he could do anything every other game studio could do and had a huge chip on his shoulder.

You can see how far that hubris got him today.

It has been fun watching CR chasing down the successes of others, claiming he's "right behind" them or even "way ahead" when in fact his competitors have lapped him several times and he didn't notice until he looked up from his wavy hands, and they're not even competitors but real game developers who've never heard of Chris Roberts, yet are eating his breakfast, lunch, and dinner purely by accident simply by doing the minimum work required to release a game.

His "game" will have everything you've seen in Blade Runner, Dune, Star Wars, Star Trek, Flight of the Navigator, Enemy Mine, Battlestar Galactica, E.T., Alf, and Diff'rent Strokes all in one giant magnum opus, and the fact that the can't make "Hello World" run without crashing the system doesn't even register as a speed bump in his addled, worm-ridden brain.

Bask in his glory as he lands planetside once again after years of seclusion, to drop a simultaneously arrogant and clueless post about how gas pipe technology will allow dynamic crew ship repair while under enemy fire, proving he knows nothing about sci-fi, games, books, movies, or anything else. Surely the perfect person to head this project! A career fraud, liar, and thief with a lifelong documented history of failing at this exact endeavor repeatedly!

I'm pledging today!

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 29, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Scruffpuff posted:

It has been fun watching CR chasing down the successes of others, claiming he's "right behind" them or even "way ahead" when in fact his competitors have lapped him several times and he didn't notice until he looked up from his wavy hands, and they're not even competitors but real game developers who've never heard of Chris Roberts, yet are eating his breakfast, lunch, and dinner purely by accident simply by doing the minimum work required to release a game.

His "game" will have everything you've seen in Blade Runner, Dune, Star Wars, Star Trek, Flight of the Navigator, Enemy Mine, Battlestar Galactica, E.T., Alf, and Diff'rent Strokes all in one giant magnum opus, and the fact that the can't make "Hello World" run without crashing the system doesn't even register as a speed bump in his addled, worm-ridden brain.

Bask in his glory as he lands planetside once again after years of seclusion, to drop a simultaneously arrogant and clueless post about how gas pipe technology will allow dynamic crew ship repair while under enemy fire, proving he knows nothing about sci-fi, games, books, movies, or anything else. Surely the perfect person to head this project! A career fraud, liar, and thief with a lifelong documented history of failing at his exact endeavor repeatedly!

I'm pledging today!

That's convinced me to get my 3rd Idris today.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

The Titanic posted:

It lools good, and even could look like a AAA game.

It doesn't, though. It looks passable, at best, as long as it's a screenshot. Like if an X series game or whatever the newest space indie thing was had these sorts of visuals, but not falling apart when in motion, it'd be deemed just fine. When you're running on the Savior of PC Gaming ticket in 2020 it never looks good to show your 2012 engine.

The best part, though, is that it'll never get better. It's still CryEngine 2. No matter how many people get crushed under the weight of maintaining it that engine it'll get lapped repeatedly. It'll eventually look like early gen PSX games look to us now and somehow this will still have screenshots posted to reddit with everyone talking about how amazing it is.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

I said come in! posted:

"That's why they can retain the talent they have."

As a dozen plus key senior managers and directors leave the company this year, and the founder and co-founder of CIG have disappeared for 2+ years now.

If a branded shirt and baseball cap is your price to stay at a game company, then you deserve to be working at a game company.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mailer posted:

It doesn't, though. It looks passable, at best, as long as it's a screenshot. Like if an X series game or whatever the newest space indie thing was had these sorts of visuals, but not falling apart when in motion, it'd be deemed just fine. When you're running on the Savior of PC Gaming ticket in 2020 it never looks good to show your 2012 engine.

The best part, though, is that it'll never get better. It's still CryEngine 2. No matter how many people get crushed under the weight of maintaining it that engine it'll get lapped repeatedly. It'll eventually look like early gen PSX games look to us now and somehow this will still have screenshots posted to reddit with everyone talking about how amazing it is.

Yeah... it looks like Planetside 2 if everything was grey.

That game came out in 2012.

You look at games like Doom Eternal and this isn't even close. But Doom Eternal runs butter smooth and I get like 150 fps.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Bask in his glory as he lands planetside once again after years of seclusion, to drop a simultaneously arrogant and clueless post about how gas pipe technology will allow dynamic crew ship repair while under enemy fire, proving he knows nothing about sci-fi, games, books, movies, or anything else. Surely the perfect person to head this project! A career fraud, liar, and thief with a lifelong documented history of failing at this exact endeavor repeatedly!

I'm pledging today!

I think this was still when he thought he was a real developer, and had to show how awesome he was to get peoples money.

Since then he's lost that, and I don't really think he gives a drat how good or bad his game is with the sole requirement that it continues to bring him in money. If they have to lie about progress, that's ok, so long as people continue to donate.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm pledging today!

I still haven't gotten over the entire graviton pipes thing.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Awesome! posted:

huh

(its one spanish guy with 57k)

Got to admit- a ship crashing and burning is the perfect visual metaphor for Star Citizen...

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Only two more days before "Squadron 54: Episode One" goes to beta. Chris will prove all those doubters wrong!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Noted MMO Guild Wars 2 was doing this while star citizen was still on Kickstarter lmao

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

When asked what they thought of the Wing Commander movie script, a cultured Redditor posted:

The story was actually great. I loved the concept of gifted people sensitive to jump travel through evolution. A story that had never been told.

There must be so many rocks whose former tenants have only just now come out...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

Noted MMO Guild Wars 2 was doing this while star citizen was still on Kickstarter lmao

Yeah! I haven't played that many MMOs but I could swear that GW2 did that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Back in May CIG said this in a community post.

quote:

And we still plan to celebrate Star Citizen’s birthday on October 10, but doing so digitally. This will not be a virtual CitizenCon, but it will be an online celebration with our community. So, stay tuned for updates on that in the near future.

So get ready for a big ship sale event in 12 days!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

Back in May CIG said this in a community post.

So get ready for a big ship sale event in 12 days!

You know I keep looking for some sort of update on what they’re going to do, in the hopes of seeing some embarrassing live stream. But, it really is looking like they’re just going to drop a new ship sale with no updates on SQ54 or anything else, and be like “Here you go fuckers!” I really admire their gall, just the outright contempt they show for the backers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

All modern Korean MMOs do that. It's a given nowadays.

Ocarina of goddamn loving time had Inverse Kinematics ffs.

But the game that did all that SC is trying to do (in '98) is the only, the amazing, the boob-health tattoo of gaming legend: Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Inverse Kinematics, Full 1st/3rd person integration (of a single arm and a pair of boobs but those were fidelitous as gently caress), bullets coming out from the actual barrels of the guns, shooting in any sort of ridiculous position, physics-aware objects, you name it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru posted:

All modern Korean MMOs do that. It's a given nowadays.

Ocarina of goddamn loving time had Inverse Kinematics ffs.

But the game that did all that SC is trying to do (in '98) is the only, the amazing, the boob-health tattoo of gaming legend: Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Inverse Kinematics, Full 1st/3rd person integration (of a single arm and a pair of boobs but those were fidelitous as gently caress), bullets coming out from the actual barrels of the guns, shooting in any sort of ridiculous position, physics-aware objects, you name it.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Well...I stand by that I won't live long enough to see star citizen.

Nsfwish:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtztPhu8TcsDP3ze9

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ffycchi posted:

Nsfwish:

Well buddy. You don't look so good. Time to set up your Will so your idrii can be given out.

(Holy gently caress mate, I'm hoping the treatment can turn it around and you'll get better)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ffycchi posted:

Nsfwish:

God drat man I hope you rally and stick around longer than you make it sound.. hopefully these cats can bring a smile in the meantime

https://i.imgur.com/pViYDZ2.gifv

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HairyWateryJapanesebeetle-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImportantContentArrowcrab-mobile.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vrGND6Y.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/18TwZNk.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/qyyh1DH.gifv

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The grabby hand returns.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wait, where's that from? Just noticed it's in Czech ww

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Jurassic Park Trespasser, probably.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

Jurassic Park Trespasser, probably.

Meant the image specifically, reverse googling finds nothing. Does Miribot have some shady Czech forums connections? :carol:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
From refunds reddit:
https://twitter.com/DrChadMcKinney/status/1310666398083903488
:thunk:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

quote:

Which video game opinion you got that results in this?

Star Citizen is the Best drat Space Sim Ever

:gary:

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think ol' Chado there has no idea how the pricing strategy of companies like EA and Ubisoft work. It's "as much as we can get away with charging".
See: lootboxes, day 1 DLC, "season passes", etc.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Man, if only video games cost twice as much, then video game programmers would get twice the wages :psyduck:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Gort posted:

Man, if only video games cost twice as much, then video game programmers would get twice the wages :psyduck:
This is why it costs 300m $ to make very early pre-alpha screenshot generator and some concept art and why they sell that concept art for 1000$. It's not about their incompetence and wastefulness or their greed, but about fair wages.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Man, if only video games cost twice as much, then video game programmers publishers would get almost twice the wages profits :psyduck:

FTFY (yes, I know you were sarcastic)

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Man, I wish product would cost more, that way fewer plebs could afford product and I could feel better about myself. That is what start citizen is all about

marumaru
May 20, 2013

3 New Halloween Helmets this year

-Vanduul Mask

-Serial Killer Sack

-A Bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Inacio posted: