Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Woke up to bright orange air outside, yet again. It's cool that this is happening multiple times a year now.

We're pretty close to the evacuation warning zone this time. Evacuating in this toxic air, with no car, would be pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
man wine country just loves being on fire

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
a lot of this area burned two years ago in the tubbs fire, so i guess that's plenty long to regenerate fuel for another nightmare fire. this bodes well

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

They just wanted a return to normality.

http://www.staritahills.com/wine-and-fire

quote:

It goes without saying that we are all missing our annual Wine and Fire event that is typically held the third weekend in August.

Better late than never?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's a stupid, naive platitude. If we kill all the species and make vast swaths of the globe uninhabitable then we have killed the planet for humans. Who gives a poo poo about the fungus on the rocks five million years from now? I certainly do not.

a lichenologist would since they are critical for creating soil from the barren rocks likely to be in overabundance after humans have had their fun.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Charles Mansion posted:

a lot of this area burned two years ago in the tubbs fire, so i guess that's plenty long to regenerate fuel for another nightmare fire. this bodes well

Just FYI it was 3 years ago, but yeah. This region is pretty hosed long-term, I love Santa Rosa and our cheesy-rear end Peanuts statues and absurd overabundance of brewpubs, but I'm gonna look into moving and I'd recommend anyone else living in the area do the same. Just the damage this poo poo is doing to my lungs alone, god.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

remember that after the End Permian, it took ten million years or so to recover. we’ve got plenty of time for another sapient species to evolve, look at an inch-thick layer of weird sediment in a cliff face, and hopefully learn from our mistakes

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh0flY0NeKA

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Charles Mansion posted:

Not per this site: https://firemap.sdsc.edu

The fire is going primarily between the historical burn scars of the past 3 years, so far.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Just FYI it was 3 years ago, but yeah. This region is pretty hosed long-term, I love Santa Rosa and our cheesy-rear end Peanuts statues and absurd overabundance of brewpubs, but I'm gonna look into moving and I'd recommend anyone else living in the area do the same. Just the damage this poo poo is doing to my lungs alone, god.

Born and raised here and ready to leave whenever the pandemic is over. My lungs sucked already, gently caress this.

This isn't even on the old burn scars, it's a fresh new area between scars that hasn't burned in a really long time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Charles Mansion posted:

Yeah, the previous fire opened up more space wild grass which burns like crazy and regrows every year.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

It's really cool when wondering if you have to evacuate just becomes a regular thing 3+ months of the year. "Oh, the leaves and air are turning orange, is it Potentially Fleeing For My Life season already?"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

It's really cool when wondering if you have to evacuate just becomes a regular thing 3+ months of the year. "Oh, the leaves and air are turning orange, is it Potentially Fleeing For My Life season already?"

In 15 years that's going to be every season, everywhere.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Most trees on the planet aren't going to survive the next 40 years. So we can probably expect some serious rip roaring fires and a fuckton more smoke with all the oncoming dead wood.

Complications has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Sep 29, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Complications posted:

Most trees on the planet aren't going to survive the next 40 years. So we can probably expect some serious rip roaring fires and a fuckton more smoke with all the oncoming dead wood.

ah ha

ha

haaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaa

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Complications posted:

Oh well, at least I probably won't be alive by then!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Complications posted:

My browser did NOT like me clicking on that link.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Complications posted:

"During blistering heat waves and droughts, air bubbles invade their delicate, watery veins, cracking them open with an audible pop."

lmao literal crack ping

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
only nuclear war can save the planet now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
don't worry guys all the wildfires will stop because the trees will all die turning the entire planet into an uninhabitable desert

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also it says the tipping point for coral was reached in 2013-2016 lol thanks obama

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

also it says the tipping point for coral was reached in 2013-2016 lol thanks obama

my marine biologist friend who did coral studies started working on freezing them and reviving them because she was like "oh yeah they're all going to die, we can't stop that, but maybe we can move them?"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

just take genetic samples so you can regrow them like dinosaurs in 2,000 years after the oceans are back under control

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Laterite posted:

"During blistering heat waves and droughts, air bubbles invade their delicate, watery veins, cracking them open with an audible pop."

lmao literal crack ping

lmao

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

i'm glad the hurricanes are taking a break this year so we can focus on the #election

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Zarin posted:

My browser did NOT like me clicking on that link.

Checked from my phone, yeah looks like their security certificate is messed up. Here's a pastebin for you, took the liberty of adding in URLs after text that was hyperlinks. https://pastebin.com/yrYr8TRe

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

A bunch of famous wineries burned down this time. Also the fire is heading towards Santa Rosa now. Efforts to stop it at the big roads that cut north/south through Napa failed. 0% containment as of this morning.

https://twitter.com/GreatWinter2017/status/1310432219626795009

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sonoma County Supervisor Susan Gorin evacuated her property in the Oakmont community of Santa Rosa at about 1 a.m. She is rebuilding a home damaged in the 2017 fires.

Gorin said she saw three neighboring houses in flames as she fled early Monday.

“We’re experienced with that,” she said of the fires. “Once you lose a house and represent thousands of folks who’ve lost homes, you become pretty fatalistic that this is a new way of life and, depressingly, a normal way of life, the megafires that are spreading throughout the West.”

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

well she’s a loving idiot

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd call her dumb for returning, but I'm living in New Orleans so ... glass houses.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
didn't healdsburg burn down last year too

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I'd call her dumb for returning, but I'm living in New Orleans so ... glass houses.

More that the thought process shouldn't be, "welp looks like we're burning down again, guess there's nothing to be done new normal blah blah," and instead should be, "this should come as a wake up call that we need to drastically change our habits and patterns and society or else we are doomed to repeat this."

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kazinsal posted:

only nuclear war can save the planet now

I live real near a naval base, I hope to god it gets directly targeted.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

at least the federal government has shown that they'll throw many billions of dollars keeping new orleans on the map because it's a strategically and economically important port city

wine country burning down every year will just make the rich people that own all the politicians sad

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Gods_Butthole posted:

I live real near a naval base, I hope to god it gets directly targeted.

I mean, if there were ever anything to be certain about, it’s that

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Complications posted:

Checked from my phone, yeah looks like their security certificate is messed up. Here's a pastebin for you, took the liberty of adding in URLs after text that was hyperlinks. https://pastebin.com/yrYr8TRe

Well, thank you! But, y-y . . . you shouldn't have :(

I really like trees. Like, they're my favorite plant. That makes me very sad :(

It does seem like on a wider scale, though, if we can predict what a region is going to end up at, we can start planting things now that will thrive in the new environment. I realize that's easier said than done, but . . . it's not necessarily ALL doom 'n gloom.

It's a shame there's no cheap and easy way to desalinate the ocean and just spray that all over the place.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

well she’s a loving idiot

A lot of the Napa/Sonoma area is pretty urbanized and not terribly remote, not many people thought those types of developments would be meaningfully threatened until 1/4 of Santa Rosa burned down a few years back. It's not like Paradise where it's a clear case of "this place is unfit for human habitation."

There are also plenty of idiots living in gigantic cabins up in the surrounding hills among bone-dry oaks and pines, though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at least the federal government has shown that they'll throw many billions of dollars keeping new orleans on the map because it's a strategically and economically important port city

wine country burning down every year will just make the rich people that own all the politicians sad

i'm pretty sure the state of california can be convinced to bail out the wine industry

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Zarin posted:

It does seem like on a wider scale, though, if we can predict what a region is going to end up at, we can start planting things now that will thrive in the new environment. I realize that's easier said than done, but . . . it's not necessarily ALL doom 'n gloom.

i have bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Complications posted:

[ ] Get Money
[ ] gently caress Bitches
[X] Smoke Trees