Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

At least we got Cleganebowl. They were the smartest character of them all, diving into a sea of fire to escape the poo poo plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know if anyone watched The Affair, but that show just completely imploded after the first season (which was good). Same with Killing Eve.

Other shows that I gave up on and stopped watching: The Good Wife, Halt and Catch Fire, Mr Robot.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What happened with Killing Eve? I was thinking of checking it out after hearing so much about it.

Mr. Robot...man, talk about a show going off a cliff. I thought S3 was fine but the final season...yikes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

oliwan posted:

Other shows that I gave up on and stopped watching: ...Halt and Catch Fire...

I actually liked Halt and Catch Fire. It's true that it radically changes the premise and focus across seasons, but I didn't find it that jarring since those changes tended to correlate to a new season arc.

The final season had some great moments in it. After the first season, Donna and Cameron become way more centrally important characters, and their intersecting trajectories in the tech industry are kind of the backbone of the show from S2 onward (Cam as a temperamental creative and Donna as a high-powered manager.) There's a scene near the end where they stand around in the vacated office space of their dead startup, and talk through a new startup idea - how it'd begin, what would happen to it, what would happen to them as they tried to run it - and then they part ways possibly forever. It's genuinely great, and I give that show a lot of credit for it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I've been theorycrafting again and I think I've realized that if the show and book share endings that much, the thing about Dany's book ending isn't going to be that Jon kills her because she destroyed King's Landing (because in the books Chekov's Wildfire almost certainly won't be ignored and therefore it might just be an accident), it's going to be because she's utterly and completely convinced that fAegon is fake and therefore she will kill him. Nobody else will believe that fAegon is fake so the moment the Starks discover R+L=J they'll believe that Dany will kill Jon if she ever finds out, and they'll start taking measures to eliminate her before that happens. They'll gently caress it up and Jon will be forced to choose: Starks, or Dany. And he'll choose Starks, and to protect them, he will kill Dany.

And the big tragic twist will be that Dany was right, fAegon was fake all along, and that's why Dany killed him. Not only would she never have hurt Jon for ACTUALLY being Rhaegar's son, she'd only have loved him more for it.

If my (f)Dany theories are correct, Jon killing Dany, possibly to usurp her throne so he can protect House Stark, will not only be before the Long Night, it will be the event that causes it. A new Blood Betrayal. "Treason for Blood." Because in TWOIAF legends state that the first Long Night was caused by the Bloodstone Emperor murdering his sister, the Amethyst Empress, and usurping her throne.

And one character who seems to be very eager to bring forth the Long Night (Book Euron) has repeatedly described Dany as having "eyes of amethyst", and it's theorized the Gemstone Emperors names were based on the colors of their eyes.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Holy poo poo that would be absolutely terrible to read.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sky Shadowing posted:

I've been theorycrafting again :words:

I do want to say I'm sorry for the overly harsh previous post Sky Shadowing, I have no real excuse. But I honestly think what with the Targeryen family tree basically being multiple ouroboros entangled within each other there will come a point where Dany goes insane. It might be the bells, it might be fAegon killing one of her children or it might be something else.

Basically water's wet, snow is cold, Targaryens go insane. Jon being a walking corpse might be what saves him from the madness but I think he'll be more Stoneheart than a functional person. He might be the one to put Dany down or it might be another character. Personally I'm hoping somehow Sansa as an absolute gently caress you to the idea of prophecy. The more funny option to me would be fAegon though.

Have a pretender on the throne because bloodline means dick all.
I do enjoy your theory crafting but this morning I just woke up on completely the wrong side of the bed I think.

Sorry again.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The tv show plot is absolutely the best case scenario we can get from GRRM but he'll probably change it to something worse.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Last time I looked at this thread was on a greyhound bus ride from Vancouver to Portland while watching the finale.
And a hundred pages over the course of a year for as big of a show as this was is NOTHING.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Coffee Jones posted:

Last time I looked at this thread was on a greyhound bus ride from Vancouver to Portland while watching the finale.
And a hundred pages over the course of a year for as big of a show as this was is NOTHING.

You did all that in 15 minutes?!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bip Roberts posted:

The tv show plot is absolutely the best case scenario we can get from GRRM but he'll probably change it to something worse.

Jon kills Dany but there's a lot of what he had for breakfast that morning too.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

For shows that went out terribly but started strong...has anyone said Sherlock yet (with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch?) I genuinely enjoyed the first season and thought it had good acting but I think by the end of season 4 everyone was ready for it to be buried and forgotten.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

An insane mind posted:

For shows that went out terribly but started strong...has anyone said Sherlock yet (with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch?) I genuinely enjoyed the first season and thought it had good acting but I think by the end of season 4 everyone was ready for it to be buried and forgotten.

Sherlock was so bad that fans made up theories about how it'd all make sense in the end.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sherlock got so bad that it's fans made up conspiracy theories that a totally unrelated BBC program in development was actually a secret Sherlock spinoff that would retroactively fix all the problems with Sherlock's 4th season, and then when it came out and was just a regular old run of the mill BBC rape drama they were incensed.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I watched the first 2 episodes, thought it was meh and then just kinda forgot about it. what happened?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it turned into a twee drama about Sherlock and his social circle instead of being about fun mysteries

that being said I actually think the second season is quite a bit better than the first, but the third is where it started up its own butt and the fourth is where it fully disappeared up there

like imagine a full hour and a half of Sherlock Holmes where it's just Holmes and Watson talking about how they feel about Watson getting married

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bleck posted:

it turned into a twee drama about Sherlock and his social circle instead of being about fun mysteries

that being said I actually think the second season is quite a bit better than the first, but the third is where it started up its own butt and the fourth is where it fully disappeared up there

like imagine a full hour and a half of Sherlock Holmes where it's just Holmes and Watson talking about how they feel about Watson getting married

That's the Steven Moffat "modern" Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch, right? I ask only because anyone who'd watched Moffat's run on Doctor Who could have told you that was inevitably gonna happen. :v:

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
I liked the episode where Sherlock discovers he has a sister, who is a magical, mind controlling witch.

First couple of seasons were entertaining though!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah i thought the first two seasons were fine, but then it rapidly disappeared up its own butt as if it were anally rocket-propelled.

Vague Spoilers:

Season 2: Moriarty is the evil mastermind behind every mystery! It culminates in an insanely elaborate murder-suicide pact between Sherlock and Moriarty that sees Moriarty shooting himself and Sherlock jumping off a building to save Watson's life.

Season 3: Sherlock survived! How? gently caress you, that's how! It's never explained, and they make fun of the audience for wanting the mystery to be explicable! Watson gets married, and Sherlock is a jerk about it, and somehow this is an entire episode! Also Moriarty isn't dead, except that Moriarty is still dead, and it's actually an elaborate computer program pretending to be Moriarty!

Season 4: Moriarty is alive again! Except it's not Moriarty, it's Sherlock Holmes's secret magical even-smarter-than-Sherlock-or-Mycroft-but-autistic-question-mark sister who is a serial murderer who faked her own death and then everyone forgot about her and never mentioned her again! Also the last episode of the series is mostly a dream sequence!

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I honestly thought making Mary a bad rear end merc was pretty fun. It's just a shame that they went absolutely up their own poopchute in season 4.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I just wanted to see Sherlock Holmes solve mysteries in cool ways and the series was less and less interested in that as it went along

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It was all very discombobulating.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The ruse to fool moriarty was so convoluted and stupid it pretty much lowered the bar on the show completely. I had hopes that Season 4 would be ok, but I mostly just remember it being extremely dull and unmemorable.

At its best it was a pretty good time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Which is the season with the dutch or whatever media mogul and Sherlock just straight up murks him?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

End of three I think. I believe he even says I'm not a hero, I'm a high functioning sociopath like it's some huge own.

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 29, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

I just wanted to see Sherlock Holmes solve mysteries in cool ways and the series was less and less interested in that as it went along

The montage where Sherlock solves multiple cases by just looking at the people in question was so insulting in retrospect.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Moffat's Sherlock wasn't even a detective. Every episode was either a spy thriller or some superhero junk about Sherlock defending humanity against bigger, badder galaxy brains. I guess solving crimes isn't cool enough for Moffat.

The crowning turd for me was the episode where he teams up with MI5 to take down Rupert Murdoch :catdrugs:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The second-to-last episode with totally not Jimmy Savile is another low point.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I maintain that Dexters ending was a more dramatic gently caress up than game of thrones for the simple reason that given where GRRM left off sticking the landing was always going to be a challenge. Whereas any random person off the street could write more compelling beats for the finale of Dexter if given a brief summary of the premise.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I am still annoyed that Sherlock spent the entire first episode doing a really cool take on Watson as a badass thrill-seeker who is completely calm under danger and actually misses the excitement of war, only to abandon it entirely in episode 2 in favor of standard comic-relief Watson.

I want more badass Watsons, dammit!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Normally I wouldn't watch massive things about people talking about TV but the hbomberguy video about Sherlock lays it all out really well.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
This thread is a focal point of hatred. I like it.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
It's all we have left

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Have a look at the domain name you're on

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

It's easy to poo poo on season 8 but I find it a lot harder to pick my favorite season. 1-4 are really strong and the climaxes of each of those seasons are really good too. The end of season 2 is probably some of the best television I've ever watched. I'd say S3 kind of drags with the theon stuff. I'd put 1 and 2 ahead of 3 and 4, but it's a tough pick.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm just glad Spartacus ended on such a high note. That show was always firing on all cylinders (well, except the first 2 or 3) and made the politics of game of thrones look elementary. It's still my highwater mark of great television.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Spartacus is a great show but the first episode does feel like a bad 300 rip off

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Bleck posted:

????

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 30, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bobjr posted:

Spartacus is a great show but the first episode does feel like a bad 300 rip off

Oh yeah the first fourish episodes are just terrible. It's bizarre how abrubtly it transitions into a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Oh yeah the first fourish episodes are just terrible. It's bizarre how abrubtly it transitions into a good show.

Nah it's the first two episodes that are terrible. The third isn't particularly interesting but starts dropping hints that it isn't going to be all bad 300. Episode 4 is when it gets great and doesn't stop.