Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Idk if this will change with the patch but it’s kind of fun committing suicide by way of stress. Love making my Shy ruler become insane, howling at the moon at night, because I gave him the horrific task of trying to be friendly with his councilors. Ditto with my greedy rear end in a top hat rulers drinking themselves to death because i forced them to give a pittance of gold to lowborn neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

Hey so, anywhere in those patch notes is there anything about vassals who embrace a heresy, are forced back to my religion either through a demand or as part of a negotiated release from prison, and then immediately convert back to the heresy, and me not being allowed to demand their conversion again?

PittTheElder posted:

It probably doesn't matter now that the patch is immenent, but if you wait a few months and then demand that they convert, they'll convert and stay converted.
Yeah basically the problem is that the localized heresy event is still running in the background for a bit, and so immediately demanding conversion results them getting hit by the still running event. Presumably they just added a temp flag that marks who already got hit by the event so they don't get double hit.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I forget if it was this thread that mentioned it but didn't William the Conqueror basically do a Chaos Partition of the realm down to what in this game would be barony-level or even smaller to prevent a powerful succession faction lol

William gave the best part of his realm, Normandy, to his elder son, and gave the worst part of the realm, England, to his second son.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elizabeth II is styled as the Duke of Normandy even though it's been a while since an English monarch held it.

I think the channel Islands might sorta kinda be part of de jure Normandy and the French haven't hit usurp on the Duchy yet

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the king of spain is still the king of jerusalem

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Is it worth moving your realm capital to uh, someplace that isn't wetlands and thus has a development penalty?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A God drat Ghost posted:

Is it worth moving your realm capital to uh, someplace that isn't wetlands and thus has a development penalty?

you could always make a different barony in that same county the capital if it has better terrain - it's practically mandatory for Bohemia.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Excelzior posted:

you could always make a different barony in that same county the capital if it has better terrain - it's practically mandatory for Bohemia.

Yeah I hosed that up and built another bishopric and I don't seem to be able to destroy the holding to build a castle instead. I didn't realize you could move your capital at the time. But it's not only my county capital, it's also my realm capital. I've got other baronies that aren't swampland in other counties.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Not sure if 1.1 has it, but I hope they eventually add in a filter for Knights so you can auto-forbid anyone under a certain skill, or perhaps direct heirs.

Yeah it sucks only having 2 knights total because the rest are 4 prowess, but it sucks even more to see your whole council get killed off in a single battle because you weren't careful enough (or, as the list gets bigger, you didn't spend 10 minutes going through the list and pruning it). Though I do also see that Knights will have less of a chance of dying in v1.1 if you are outnumbering the enemy, which is nice, because if I'm fighting 500 troops with my 1000, I shouldn't see my useless Knights die anyway, as the levies should have handled that!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There's a mod which bans knights with under a certain amount of Prowess, if that helps.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

megane posted:

There's a mod which bans knights with under a certain amount of Prowess, if that helps.
It would if I were on Steam rather than Game Pass! However, I've had plenty of fun on CK3 (as compared to CK2 where I got lost - like others said, maybe it was too many DLC features to start with), so if/when it goes on Steam sale, I'll probably buy it there so I can run some QoL mods (edit: gently caress it, may as well get it).

I've tried to start a game in the Tibet area twice. First, I got a game over after I accidently had enough land to give my secondary/tertiary heirs enough for a Duchy, making them independent, they went to war with me (along with their marriage-bound alliance of 3000 troops vs my total 500 after partition). Game Over.
Second time, I was more careful with only taking enough land from each De Jure duchy to prevent new duchy titles. Finally I was in place to expand and go for broke (heir was ~45, only had a few counties to go).

I was literally one county away from being able to create my Kingdom, I got smallpox and died almost immediately (while running at max speed waiting for the last Fabricate Claim). Welp there goes Confederate Partition again! :tif:

It sounds like 1.1 will fix/improve matrilineal marriage so I will go back to my Daura game...

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 29, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So will my save game just roll over to the new patch? I have been holding off on jumping back in because of it

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

A God drat Ghost posted:

Yeah I hosed that up and built another bishopric and I don't seem to be able to destroy the holding to build a castle instead.

Wait, is there actually a reason to make anything other than baronies in your own counties? Since you can actually get the full amount out of them.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

nsfw i guess

I don't see a nude option in the barbershop...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

guidoanselmi posted:

nsfw i guess

I don't see a nude option in the barbershop...

rulers go nude because of religious tenets or mental illness (but I repeat myself :iceburn:)

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Koramei posted:

Wait, is there actually a reason to make anything other than baronies in your own counties? Since you can actually get the full amount out of them.

Yeah it's probably better to hold one barony in each county and make the rest bishopries/temples

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I would say the only exception is your realm capital; since your primary heir will ALWAYS inherit it, and the baronies are never split off, there is no risk of ever losing these titles no matter how bad partition gets. So I would recommend building castles in your realm capital and then bishoprics in all other available baronies.

As a bonus, you can freely hand out/revoke the castle baronies without incurring tyranny to adjust to your new ruler's stewardship.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was barred from building a castle in a county until I built both a city and a shrine first...

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
A heresiarch that doesn't go with aniconism and lay clergy, a shameful heresiarch

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was barred from building a castle in a county until I built both a city and a shrine first...

true; I thought we were discussing available holding slots past the first three (which are non-negotiable)

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It bothers me that you can't build a castle at Coucy when it was historically one of the largest castles in Europe.

The rationale for holding more baronies (especially in the capital) is partition mechanics and avoiding factionalism on succession. Unless you have spare duchy titles to give out, secondary heirs will get a larger share of the county titles, and after they split off the primary heir doesn't get county-level claims automatically. You would have to then spend gold/time to get claims on them one by one (or take a bunch of tyranny) to regain full strength, and in the meantime your vassals will consider you weaker and be more prone to joining factions. Capital baronies never split off and secondary counties can be regained more easily if there are fewer of them.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is 1.1 changing anything about tribal/clan government types?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

It's more lucrative to hold counties than baronies is the reason. The exception is farmland baronies, those are worth holding directly for the superior buildings.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It gets really busted if your religion allows for you to hold church baronies.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

uPen posted:

It gets really busted if your religion allows for you to hold church baronies.

I'm not quite sure how, church baronies aren't really any better than castle baronies. Maybe very slightly better for taxes? Though any benefit is largely cancelled by having 4 slots in the county capital.

Jarvisi posted:

Is 1.1 changing anything about tribal/clan government types?

I mean, there are a few things. Converting from tribal to feudal is now supposed to give some random buildings in the new castles if they had buildings in there before, and the opinion penalties for not being allied to your vassals in a clan government are stronger. Maybe some other things I missed.

Promethium posted:

The rationale for holding more baronies (especially in the capital) is partition mechanics and avoiding factionalism on succession. Unless you have spare duchy titles to give out, secondary heirs will get a larger share of the county titles, and after they split off the primary heir doesn't get county-level claims automatically. You would have to then spend gold/time to get claims on them one by one (or take a bunch of tyranny) to regain full strength, and in the meantime your vassals will consider you weaker and be more prone to joining factions. Capital baronies never split off and secondary counties can be regained more easily if there are fewer of them.

That is an advantage, though it looks like the next patch is going to make county distribution a little more fair (higher-level titles won't eat into the county split, at least that's what I read from the notes). Personally though, I tended to make certain that my primary heir got all of the counties in my capital duchy, by hooking up my 3rd-4th heirs with duchies in advance, and my 2nd heir would inherit my second duchy. No idea how this will work out after the patch, but I imagine that preemptively landing heirs you don't want to inherit much will be better than letting your capital duchy fracture.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 29, 2020

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Magil Zeal posted:

That is an advantage, though it looks like the next patch is going to make county distribution a little more fair (higher-level titles won't eat into the county split, at least that's what I read from the notes). Personally though, I tended to make certain that my primary heir got all of the counties in my capital duchy, by hooking up my 3rd-4th heirs with duchies in advance, and my 2nd heir would inherit my second duchy. No idea how this will work out after the patch, but I imagine that preemptively landing heirs you don't want to inherit much will be better than letting your capital duchy fracture.

This is pretty much how I do it. I will do pretty much anything to ensure that my primary heir ends up with all of the counties inside my primary duchy. That's the land I've invested in. It's all got to go to one person. I've been generally successful at creating good situations even if I have had a lot of boys. Like, I recently had a situation where I had to divide up land between 5 boys. I was able to get them all into their own duchies thanks to aggressively taking land from my neighbors. If I have a lot of sons who need land to avoid splitting my main duchy I'm going to war with all of my neighbors basically right when truces end.

If the worst should happen and I die early before my succession plan is finished and my main duchy (or my second duchy depending on how far into the game I am) should fracture and split between a couple of heirs, I'm going to war to get it all back. Brother on brother action. I'll disinherit sons if I need to as well or even use the dynasty claim titles option. Whatever it takes to keep that core part of my realm intact.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

- Fixed taking someone's primary title sometimes unlanding them entirely even though they should still have vassals to steal a county from

Sounds like it's intended behavior for vassals to steal their vassals' titles, which is dumb and not how ck2 worked.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

binge crotching posted:

- Fixed taking someone's primary title sometimes unlanding them entirely even though they should still have vassals to steal a county from

Sounds like it's intended behavior for vassals to steal their vassals' titles, which is dumb and not how ck2 worked.

No, I'm pretty sure this did happen in CKII. If succession math leads to someone inheriting a duchy (or higher) level title without any of the counties inside it, and that character doesn't have any land already, they have to be given SOMEWHERE so they can have a capital, so something gets stolen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

binge crotching posted:

How is this going to work with criminals and title revocation? The lockout on revoking duchies because it would make them unlanded is really annoying, if this means it would always work as long as there's a county for them to take I guess that is better, though it doesn't seem to be the right flavor or history of basically demoting a duke as punishment?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Decided to actually jump in and fight in a crusade as opposed to paying my way out of it. Computer lagged very very hard with 60k troops roaming around. Is this one of those things that buying more RAM would solve?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

LordMune posted:

Well, if you insist!

Joke's on you, you won't make more money on me by doing the expansion cause I got the edition that includes the first few expansions.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I just had an outbreak of Lollardy. Impossible to control. Everyone converted all willy-nilly, their kids converted, I tried to get them to convert back and their court didn't follow them back. Then they just switched back to Lollardy again. Going back to my previous save and waiting for the patch to fix fervor. Lollardy is worse than smallpox.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
The new UI looks very nice

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
hmm I was waiting to play again until 1.1 and I was also gonna install some mods for the first time but I've just realised that some of the mods might need updating for 1.1 so guess I better hold off another week or so. The paradox gamer's lament.

Also I was playing the game pass version but I guess I better just buy the steam version to make mods easier.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

PancakeTransmission posted:

It would if I were on Steam rather than Game Pass! However, I've had plenty of fun on CK3 (as compared to CK2 where I got lost - like others said, maybe it was too many DLC features to start with), so if/when it goes on Steam sale, I'll probably buy it there so I can run some QoL mods (edit: gently caress it, may as well get it).

Paradox has its own platform for mods, so if you sign in there and the opening screen of the game with a paradox account you can get mods even when your on gamepass.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The patch is out.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JustaDamnFool posted:

Paradox has its own platform for mods, so if you sign in there and the opening screen of the game with a paradox account you can get mods even when your on gamepass.

Yeah you can, but it still seems like there's a wider selection on Steam. I guess some of the Steam creators don't bother porting to the Paradox platform.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Can I continue playing my previous game?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can I continue playing my previous game?

They always say that technically you can but expect the unexpected.

Meanwhile, they suddenly remade the UI and didn't even announce it with screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My game loaded fine with the new patch.
Crusades suddenly became harder, the enemy now has a doomstack of 27k instead of 6 5k stacks. Caught me off guard and decimated my army :owned: