Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mem posted:

Having a freesync capable tv will finally pay off. Mine only works from 48 to 60 fps on 4k, but it looks like most of the games shown in the digital foundry video are falling into that range. Never got much mileage out of that on one x since so few games target 4k60.

Kind of curious if anything will run above 60fps in 1080 or 1440 resolution, my tv goes up to 120 fps in those modes with freesync all the way up.

I think for sure you'll see 1080p 120fps for some stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

mem posted:

Having a freesync capable tv will finally pay off. Mine only works from 48 to 60 fps on 4k, but it looks like most of the games shown in the digital foundry video are falling into that range. Never got much mileage out of that on one x since so few games target 4k60.

Kind of curious if anything will run above 60fps in 1080 or 1440 resolution, my tv goes up to 120 fps in those modes with freesync all the way up.

Yeah reading some of the BC improvements, Monhun World seems to be a good one for this, the 4K/resolution mode is still ~55FPS. Been meaning to pick this up again since I haven't played iceborne yet but looks like it's definietly worth waiting until I get my Series X.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Gears of war 5 is running at 120FPS /1440p on series S. Might be 120/4k on series x?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Crafty posted:

Gears of war 5 is running at 120FPS /1440p on series S. Might be 120/4k on series x?

That's multiplayer I believe, which has far less hardware demands than the campaign (multiplayer is dynamic 4k/60 on One X). So yeah I can see it being 4k/120 or at least dynamic res 4k/120. Campaign will be likely be dynamic 4k/60, will prob be close if not locked to 4k.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wheeee posted:

how do people even play games like fps and horizon zero dawn and the like at 30fps

very carefully

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Zerot posted:

Here's Jeff Grubb's article: https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/28/xbox-series-x-impressions/

More articles and videos are popping up now. Digital Foundry's coverage is incoming.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1310569066445377536

Yowza.

It's...very good overall, but considering how MS has stated backwards compat gets the 'full' power of the GPU (I think that was a reference to PS4 Pro's boost mode that left 1/2 of the CU's unused), I was expecting all games with unlocked framerates to be 60 locked. I mean Sekiro not getting a locked 60 at 4k when the X is over 30 is a bit surprising, considering the Series X's GPU's tflops is double, but that's not counting the increased efficiency from RDNA2. Who knows what's actually exposed in back compat mode though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
theres only so much more juice you can get out of back compat while keeping it... compatible. and itll vary with every game how much itll accept something other than what it was originally coded for.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stux posted:

theres only so much more juice you can get out of back compat while keeping it... compatible. and itll vary with every game how much itll accept something other than what it was originally coded for.

Yeah, past a certain point you’re better off remastering/remaking the game and re-releasing it as a new product.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

but that's not counting the increased efficiency from RDNA2.

DF's article mentions that emulated games can't access any of that. I'm surprised at the FF15 measurements of 12-14 seconds, my 2014 PCI-E drive is just 1.5GB/s and I've never had a loading screen that long, they're near instant on PC in almost every case. Maybe it's the increased CPU overhead from emulation?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
theres no emulation, xbone/ps4 games on series/ps5 are running natively. load time differences between bc last gen games and their pc counterparts will be down to how the game is written on the different platforms.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I would play a ton more Forza 7 if it didn't take 5+ minutes to get into a game every drat time. Now I keep getting a 'You have lost your Live connection' message. rocket league and gears 5 multi seem to work fine.

loving turn 10

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

theres no emulation, xbone/ps4 games on series/ps5 are running natively. load time differences between bc last gen games and their pc counterparts will be down to how the game is written on the different platforms.

There does seem to be some kind of compatibility mode/layer thing going on. I'm sure Microsoft will talk about it at some point and clarify given how open the BC team has been in the past.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1310638993973878785?s=21

EDIT: Just to be clear, you're 100% correct.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 29, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zerot posted:

There does seem to be some kind of compatibility mode/layer thing going on. I'm sure Microsoft will talk about it at some point and clarify given how open the BC team has been in the past.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1310638993973878785?s=21

If the intent is to keep supporting and adding to games like No Man’s Sky, wouldn’t they eventually want to rerelease it for the new consoles/update it for PC to take advantage of the new hardware capabilities? Hello Games added cross platform play this summer, so maybe pushing it into next gen isn’t particularly compatible with that.

I wonder if releasing it on next gen consoles as a back-compat game is HG saying that they’re done making major updates to it. Four years was a very good run of building NMS into something much bigger and better than what initially released, and they certainly went above and beyond to please the fan base, but it’d be a shame to now see it stunted by the architecture it was initially developed for after they’ve built it into this massive multiplayer deal with a deep community, to say nothing of what they might be able to do by fully leveraging RDNA2.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I've been a longtime PS gamer, but for next gen my game-buddy has announced he is looking into Xbox. So my pre-order is off, I'm going to wait this one out, check some reviews after go-live and make my choice then. I'm kinda brand-loyal and I have this irrational anxiety about "losing" my trophies and a more real anxiety about losing my whole library of PS4 games (and a few disks) if that stuff becomes backwards compatible. But I guess I'm still open to the thought of switching.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sioux posted:

I've been a longtime PS gamer, but for next gen my game-buddy has announced he is looking into Xbox. So my pre-order is off, I'm going to wait this one out, check some reviews after go-live and make my choice then. I'm kinda brand-loyal and I have this irrational anxiety about "losing" my trophies and a more real anxiety about losing my whole library of PS4 games (and a few disks) if that stuff becomes backwards compatible. But I guess I'm still open to the thought of switching.

Your PS4 will still work after you buy an xbox though. I may be doing the same, but mostly because of the chance of Bethesda exclusivity.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
all ps4 games are backwards compatible on ps5 so it isnt an if

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

all ps4 games are backwards compatible on ps5 so it isnt an if
It's not all. I know you don't literally mean all but I do think it's an important distinction. Some games won't be able to go forwards without a patch, and depending on the age of the game that may never happen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't see the PS5 being less than almost entirely back compatible with PS4. If you want PS3 get used to streaming.

The one hitch seems to be if you have PS5 versions of games your PS4 version of that games save wont transfer but thats a fairly small edgecase (thats super annoying now in the immediate launch)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Akuma posted:

It's not all. I know you don't literally mean all but I do think it's an important distinction. Some games won't be able to go forwards without a patch, and depending on the age of the game that may never happen.

Do you have reason to think this'll be a bigger issue on PS than Xbox?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Akuma posted:

PS5 backwards compatibility is designed to work with every PS4 game, PS4 games don't have to be patched to work on the PS5. However from how I understand it the BC is a 'one size fits all' solution rather than individually testing each game so there are bound to be a few games that encounter bugs but it seems assured that pretty much every PS4 game you have will work on the PS5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a reminder, my embarassingly large Kinect collection is not back compatible and one of them got permanently revoked by ms.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Akuma posted:

as an estimate how many current gen titles do you think we'll see not able run on series x/ps5?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My favourite thing in any Games thread where Akuma posts is people telling them they’re wrong about game development.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Where's Akuma work?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

My favourite thing in any Games thread where Akuma posts is people telling them they’re wrong about game development.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Sioux posted:

Keeping your PS4 solves the backwards compatible issue, I don't think Sony have any interest in extending that compatability to ps3/ps2.

You should be rational (boring) and just wait until the first impressions come back I suppose. I'm happy to hear that the series X runs very quietly, at least when playing backwards compatible titles - which has been confirmed by a few people to be quieter than the One/One X.

If the PS5 sounds anything like it looks, you're going to need some ear-muffs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i know they work in game dev, theyve talked about having a series devkit, thats why im asking them what they think will be the number of titles that arent compatible on the next gen consoles. they should have a much more accurate estimation than anyone else here.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Crafty posted:

Keeping your PS4 solves the backwards compatible issue, I don't think Sony have any interest in extending that compatability to ps3/ps2.

You should be rational (boring) and just wait until the first impressions come back I suppose. I'm happy to hear that the series X runs very quietly, at least when playing backwards compatible titles - which has been confirmed by a few people to be quieter than the One/One X.

theres no way that giant obelisk is loud, im pretty sure the exact reason its so comically huge is to make sure its quiet after the ps4 pro

but otherwise i agree, buying either console in the first year even is just a bad idea. theres no rush. wait and see how it goes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I am excited for Xbox.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

as an estimate how many current gen titles do you think we'll see not able run on series x/ps5?
Only a small amount that people care about, but there could well be fairly high profile games from a few years ago that won't necessarily make it unless they're taken out of mothballs and fixed specifically. We may see games being fixed after launch of the hardware. I can't be more specific, I'm afraid.

Rinkles posted:

Do you have reason to think this'll be a bigger issue on PS than Xbox?
Well one has made much more of a show of the whole thing than the other

People should probably expect a whitelist based approach just like the Xbox One has for previous generation games. If a game doesn't work then both MS and Sony likely know already.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 29, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if releasing it on next gen consoles as a back-compat game is HG saying that they’re done making major updates to it.

I don't think Hello Games had any involvement with the Xbox compatibility program, so the game's presence as a part of this journalist preview doesn't mean anything. It could be that they decide not to do one because the PS4 and Xbox One versions are good enough.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

I don't think Hello Games had any involvement with the Xbox compatibility program, so the game's presence as a part of this journalist preview doesn't mean anything. It could be that they decide not to do one because the PS4 and Xbox One versions are good enough.
No Man's Sky was already put on GamePass PC so it's quite likely a lot of the work towards a Series X|S version is already done. Regardless I see them doing native next generation versions because they're still talking about developing it further. Sony and (more likely) MS will be asking for it, I'm sure.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Akuma posted:

Well one has made much more of a show of the whole thing than the other

Sony's messaging for next-gen has been so off. I'm mostly willing to blame covid, but I wonder how much is due to internal staff changes. It's hard not to second guess their statements at this point though.

I do think people are expecting way too much from PS4 BC on PS5. I don't think it's going to be as fully featured as Microsoft's implementation.

Akuma posted:

No Man's Sky was already put on GamePass PC so it's quite likely a lot of the work towards a Series X|S version is already done. Regardless I see them doing native next generation versions because they're still talking about developing it further. Sony and (more likely) MS will be asking for it, I'm sure.

I think it would be silly not to do a next-gen version, but I don't know how being a fairly small team in the middle of a global pandemic affects things.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah it will be interesting to see what happens to NMS, I can see it getting some love on xbox as its on gamepass but I wonder how they make money on the PS5 version, perhaps a paid upgrade dlc or rerelease?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

hanyolo posted:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what happens tk NMS, I can see it getting some love as its on gamepass but I wonder how they make money on the PS5 version, perhaps a paid upgrade dlc or rerelease?
I'm almost positive they'll just do it for free.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Crafty posted:

My impression is that both consoles are as big as they are specifically for thermal reasons. I’m going to guess that the PS5s will be nice and quiet

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Anidav posted:

I am excited for Xbox.

I hope that more pre-orders happen, because I don't have one yet

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I missed the news last week that Maneater was getting a next-gen upgrade at launch for the new consoles.

The FAQ at the bottom is interesting given all the weird save stuff going on with Yakuza 7:

quote:

This is not a different application/game on XBox Series S & X and saves and trophies/achievements will carry forward.
This may require subscriptions to additional services such as XBox Gold (such as for cloud save transfers)
This IS a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and trophies, stats and saves will not transfer

I don't know what's going on with potentially needing Xbox Live Gold for cloud saves, because cloud saves are free for everyone on Xbox. But the whole thing with cross-gen saves not being as much of a thing in the PlayStation ecosystem is so strange. It's good for people who are into trophies though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

I missed the news last week that Maneater was getting a next-gen upgrade at launch for the new consoles.

The FAQ at the bottom is interesting given all the weird save stuff going on with Yakuza 7:

I don't know what's going on with potentially needing Xbox Live Gold for cloud saves, because cloud saves are free for everyone on Xbox. But the whole thing with cross-gen saves not being as much of a thing in the PlayStation ecosystem is so strange. It's good for people who are into trophies though.

My understanding from stirrings online, and Akuma feel free to confirm or deny (or not), is that the PS5 is easier to develop for, but does so in such a way that it's not really factoring in cross-gen elements, while Xbox is more of a pain to develop for but its SDK has built-in integration for cross-gen and cross-platform stuff (i.e. it's more work but you wind up pretty close to a cross-platform Win10/XB1/XB Series build just doing the baseline stuff if you're not specifically excluding XB1, while with PS5 the "baseline" work doesn't facilitate a PS4 version necessarily).

Geoff did find one XB1-compatible game that doesn't work on the Series X so we don't have 100% compatibility there yet.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1310799911974178816?s=20

A tragic loss Microsoft will never recover from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I may be a humble country lawyer but I assume its that on Xbox they're considered the same game by the system and your hardware determines what you get but on playstation they are distinct skus and thus non transferable.