Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HopperUK posted:

To be fair that was in answer to a post that implied the rape dog is in the show, just maybe not very much.

There is a dog who has the same name and belongs to the same character, but he hasn't raped anyone and they've only made a very brief allusion to the idea, with him humping a plush toy. It's sorta a microcosm of the show's relation to the comics: the broad strokes are still there, but the edge gets filed off a good bit to make it palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Not only that but they managed to make the show relevant to today and still resemble the past. You’d think adapting a character literally named Stormfront would either fall into edgy bullshit or become way too on the nose (ok, technically it still kinda is) but they managed to make it work.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

hyperhazard posted:

^^ I'm trying to think of a single change they made to the show that wasn't an improvement over the comic, and I'm coming up empty. It really is quite good.

I have basically one, but its something I could easily see someone disagreeing with, its really a point of preference;

In the comics the boys, including Hughie, are dosed with Compound-V. In the comics this means they are an actual physical threat to a supe, as they are all super strong and durable, but not to the point where any of them could duke it out with Homelander alone. Butcher is therefore an intimidating presence as hes a barely restrained thug for whom disproportionate violence is always a distinct possiblity (although its not always option A, in the comic he does do a fair bit of gathering blackmail material, but the implicit threat of "or we could just kick your face off if its easier?" is always there). They spent a lot of the comic pointing out how much of an unrepentant arsehole various characters were, so you would then get some catharsis when they got the absolute poo poo kicked out of them.

In the show only Kimiko has been dosed with V, so she is the only one who can have a physical confrontation with a supe (and she's been shown to not be capable of taking on a member of the seven by herself). They havent changed Butchers character terribly much, so hes still a borderline psychopath who intimidates... Well, only Hughie really. Because he is literally incapable of doing any actual physical harm to most of the supes he has a vendetta against. This leaves only really blackmail, which makes him feel a little toothless tbh. All we have is "gather blackmail evidence and hide" because almost any supe with any offensive ability could kill them all with barely a second thought.

Now, I can absolutely understand if someone prefers it this way, it means not every (or even most) conflict is going to end with "then the boys beat them to death", but Karl Urban is working his little kiwi socks off (and doing a drat fine job, why we never got a Dredd sequel I will never understand) playing an intimidating motherfucker who cant actually intimidate any of the bad guys. I'd have personally prefered it if they had still left butcher some way of being a physical threat to at least a low level superpowered person

Now, in fairness, I havent seen the most recent episode yet, maybe they found/will find a way. And its not really a major criticism of the show, either, the show has done a fantastic job of adapting a book I would have said was basically unadaptable. Its been generally smart in what aspects to keep (the basic characters and set up), what to discard (all the purile bullshit, although the recent announcment of a "college based spin off" does make me worry that the Teenage Kix Orgy poo poo from the comic will find a home there) and what to change (no spoilers, but as someone who read the whole run of the comic I have NO loving IDEA where this plot is going due to big changes from the comic, and I am curious to find out).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The college spin-off is more likely to be Super Duper without the weird edgy mental disability angle, I feel like.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

ngl, I definitely thought this was going to be Butcher's big reveal in Season 2. But the overall theme of this season seems to be "Holy poo poo, it would be terrifying to date a superhero" so unless they're going for the long con, I think that's out.

e: Also seconding the love for Karl Urban. I had a crush on him when I was like 13 when he was in LoTR, and the fact that his career is still kicking rear end is awesome.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Sep 28, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't think there's a single thing Karl Urban is in where he isn't the best thing in it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rydiafan posted:

I don't think there's a single thing Karl Urban is in where he isn't the best thing in it.

The Doom movie?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

pentyne posted:

The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Thor: Ragnarok.

That's not to say I don't love Karl Urban, but Ragnarok was great for a number of reasons, and Karl Urban wasn't one of them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pentyne posted:

The Doom movie?

Yeah, everyone sucks in that movie.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

That's not to say I don't love Karl Urban, but Ragnarok was great for a number of reasons, and Karl Urban wasn't one of them.

Ok, I'll allow this.

Although him with the shake weight was legit.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, everyone sucks in that movie.

Literally the only thing I remember from that movie was The Rock yelling "I'm the hero! I'm not supposed to die!" right before he was killed.

Also that the camera goes into first person shooter mode for what seemed like an agonizing amount of time but was probably less than a minute because time had lost all meaning by that point.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hardcore Henry was a movie and if they just made a DOOM movie like that itd probably be pretty ok tbh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

:hmmyes:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Monkey posted:

BEHOLD, MY STUFF! was great, especially with the way he walked into frame like he was showing off the prizes in a game show.

But overall his plotline wasn't the best.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BEHOLD, MY STUFF! was great, especially with the way he walked into frame like he was showing off the prizes in a game show.

in Marvel Future Fight you upgrade his Des and Troy to make him stronger

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Let's be real, Kaiba is the best YGO charcter for having no limit to how he would meet his match even after a;; the other stuff. Like Last YGO I know is about pendulum summons and I am very sure Kaiba knows a way to be a dick about that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zedd posted:

Let's be real, Kaiba is the best YGO charcter for having no limit to how he would meet his match even after a;; the other stuff. Like Last YGO I know is about pendulum summons and I am very sure Kaiba knows a way to be a dick about that.

We're up to Link summons now and Pendulum summons have basically been nerfed into nothingness.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My fiancee babysits for an alcoholic (it's a bad codependent relationship) and one night she came home at 2am and slam bought Doom and we awkwardly watched like 1/3rd of it with her and then excused ourselves from her home.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rydiafan posted:

I can't think of anything he's even been a memorable part of. He's basically a wooden prop.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It sucks cause the comics that they were attempting to adapt skurge's bits from ruled.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Disproportionation posted:

It sucks cause the comics that they were attempting to adapt skurge's bits from ruled.

holy poo poo that owns

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The whole sequence is fantastic. Walt Simonson's Thor has aged like a fine wine.

bobkatt013 posted:

This is still one of the most badass moments in a comic full of badass moments.
Let there be Skurge! Thor 362
Sorry about so many but they are all needed

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

verbal enema posted:

holy poo poo that owns

The full sequence is even better.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611347&userid=189212&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post470680051

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Squidster posted:

The whole sequence is fantastic. Walt Simonson's Thor has aged like a fine wine.

:respek:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Ok, I'll allow this.

Although him with the shake weight was legit.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:hmmyes:

Agreed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

There's an anime about the Japanese board game Go where the protagonist is told what moves to make by some Go genius in his head, which always struck me as unexciting. Its like using a computer to play chess.

Um excuse me but you're talking about Hikaru no Go and the three-episode arc where a man at a Go convention very patiently teaches Hikaru what the internet is, how to use a computer mouse, what clicking on something is, and the concept of usernames (this is treated as mind-blowing information by Hikaru) with the words "With the internet you can play Go with people all over the world! :)" is repeated every three lines verbatim by Hikaru, the computer salesman, a Dutch professor, a Japanese student at a Go school, and a tall blonde American with pizza boxes and fast food littering his shabby apartment overlooking the statue of Liberty is of the greatest arcs in Anime history.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

Literally the only thing I remember from that movie was The Rock yelling "I'm the hero! I'm not supposed to die!" right before he was killed.

That scene is great, I don't care what anyone says.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SiKboy posted:

The Boys:

I'd have personally prefered it if they had still left butcher some way of being a physical threat to at least a low level superpowered person

Given that this happens twice in Series 1Translucent, Mesmer and is implied to have happened multiple times in Series 2 in the flashback, also remember that Frenchie's role in the Boys was coming up with ways to kill supes, I don't know what your issue is.

E: and the Stand at Gjallerbru is one of the best moments in comics. When I saw the brief shot in the trailer for Ragnarok and realised they were doing it, I was stoked.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Seeing Karl Urban in person made me realize I'm bi

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

rodbeard posted:

I can't think of anything he's even been a memorable part of. He's basically a wooden prop.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you haven't seen Dredd.

Which you really should.

E: He was also arguably the best-acted character in RED and that was a star-studded cast.

Moo the cow has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Sep 29, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Squidster posted:

ngl sorta disappointed that he actually shoots the guns. I would have preferred him to just use it as a club the entire time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Urban was also quite good in Almost Human, though that ran only for a single season before it was unceremoniously cancelled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Moo the cow posted:

E: He was also arguably the best-acted character in RED and that was a star-studded cast.

gently caress off if you think the best thing in RED wasn't Helen Mirren. Her performance was surpassed only by Honor Blackman in Cockneys Versus Zombies.

Also Urban was poo poo in The Chronicles of Riddick.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jedit posted:

Also Urban was poo poo in The Chronicles of Riddick.

To be fair, that entire film was rancid. It's existence is only justified by the mental image of Dame Judi Dench being taught to play Dungeons and Dragons by Vin Diesel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrigadierSensible posted:

To be fair, that entire film was rancid. It's existence is only justified by the mental image of Dame Judi Dench being taught to play Dungeons and Dragons by Vin Diesel.

Also the tie in game that was a fantastic first person brawler. It didn’t adapt the movie but I doubt it would have been made without it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BrigadierSensible posted:

Call me crazy but I have a soft spot for Riddick and don't think that movie is all bad. There are a lot of cool elements (like the Necro general's ghostly predictive movements) and you can tell that no one took it too seriously.

Now Bloodshot, on the other hand, is dreck. I didn't even get half way.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Call me crazy but I have a soft spot for Riddick and don't think that movie is all bad. There are a lot of cool elements (like the Necro general's ghostly predictive movements) and you can tell that no one took it too seriously.

Now Bloodshot, on the other hand, is dreck. I didn't even get half way.

The opening bit in riddick with the camera pan and the giant statue face that turns out to just be a normal bloke was pretty awesome.

Now, Riddick, that film was worthless.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Now, Riddick, that film was worthless.

You mean you didn't like "Pitch Black again, but worse, and also Riddick is so manly he turns lesbians straight"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More like Chronicles of Vin's Dick