Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Were ice cream cones in the Pokemon universe invented to look like Vanillites? Did humans design trashbags to look like Trubbish?

Generally I assume it's the opposite and Pokemon are kind of yokaish in that they come into creation based off certain things. Trubbish didn't exist before trashbags but the existence of trashbags caused Trubbish to exist.

Voltorbs probably also either didn't exist or had some other form in the era before Pokeballs existed.

Considering Pokemon are capable of instantly evolving into different forms it seems entirely reasonable to assume they can change fairly quickly in response to new stimulus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
my belief is that Trubbish learned, socially, to dress themselves in garbage bags after watching humans do it

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
That's actually kind of a minor plot point in Pokemon BW and what the professor there was researching. She makes a mention of how Klink only came into existence around 100 years ago, so it's kind of assumed that maybe they were born from gears and not a naturally occurring thing. Pokemon are weird like that.

In other news, I was doing battle tower stuff for the fun of it and an interesting thing happened. I was against an Intelleon and I had a Maractus with Storm Drain out with another Pokemon, and the Intelleon used Water Pledge and totally bypassed the Storm Drain ability. As far as I could see there's no documentation about Pledge moves having that property, and Intelleon doesn't have an ability that lets it bypass abilities, so I don't know how that happened. I have to do some testing myself. And yes, it was definitely Water Pledge and not Snipe Shot that it used.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like there are a bunch of Pokemon that are aliens (Clefairy, Staryu, Deoxys, Elgeyem etc) and Pokemon that are explicitly pollution come to life (Koffing, Grimer)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Pokemon seem to be affected by evolution besides just "Evolution", hence Fossil Mon's and Regional Variants. I know Relicanth's Dex entry mentions the fact that it hasn't evolved (the real life way) in thousands of years being an oddity.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If there's ever a big open world Pokemon game where you can go to every region, Relicanth would be a really cool candidate for a pokemon that has an evolution based on every region, based upon the "shock" of being exposed to the modern world after existing in the depths of the ocean for so long.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If evolution is real then how come there are still Mankeys?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Because humans were created by God, in His image.

..nevermind.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 28, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ice cream cones were based on Vanillite, which were hunted to near extinction for their smooth and creamy flesh. Actual ice cream is better for you, as the pokémon absorb a lot of elements they cannot digest over their lifetime, which are harmful to humans. Mostly radon, but also more heavy metals than livestock. There's still a pretty large poaching and black market segment, and you should probably avoid wonder trading them.

Trubbish evolved organically alongside human development in waste processing, though. Their immediate precursors resembled middens and dung pits and no one thought to preserve them. Their closest extant relative is the Burmy family, curiously enough, despite the species existing across the world from each other, and neither having any relation to the Sewaddle family.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1310566023637143552

Tundra news tomorrow

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why are they just sticking EX on everything?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

EXpansion, I'm guessing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Watch them actually release the games as Pokemon Sword EX and Shield EX with the DLC included a year after Tundra's released. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Framboise posted:

Watch them actually release the games as Pokemon Sword EX and Shield EX with the DLC included a year after Tundra's released. :v:

This is what I've always assumed they'll end up doing tbh.

They might not even wait a year.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
PokemonSSEX

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I guess today might be a good day to buy the DLC and play Isle of Armour.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 29, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

#PokemonSwordShieldEX

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

EX in this case probably refers to it being an expansion :v:

E: beaten like a recent-gen rival character

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Here’s the link to the stream:

https://youtu.be/ayIZaCMKpYE

Only 43 more minutes

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I bet it'll just be confirmation of the Hoenn starters or something rudimentary like explaining some new attacks.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I definitely saw Galarian Slowking in there but they didn't acknowledge it.

edit: never mind, here he is

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1310931442789122048

Shneak fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 29, 2020

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What did I say about them selling a combo pack for the holiday season.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

October 22nd release date, as guessed.

Also, mystery gift ash-hat pikachu with code P1KACHUGET

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Next DLC releases on the 22nd.

Lots of legendaries will be obtainable.

Code for special hat pikachu: P1KACHUGET

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
This is a really pretty music video.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That was kinda underwhelming but it’s nice to have a release date finally. And no surprise at the DLC bundled with the game, makes sense at this point.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Bobulus posted:

October 22nd release date, as guessed.

Also, mystery gift ash-hat pikachu with code P1KACHUGET

I'm delighted, I was expecting mid-November.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
edit: spoilered in case you're going in blind, but galarian slowking

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, here's my guess how this will work, based purely on images and speculation:

- You form a party of four players in a raid lobby. Everyone picks a pokemon, like they do in current raids.
- You enter the 'caves' below the island. This puts you on a branching pathway.
- Each node in the pathway is a raid battle. You somehow pick which path you take ( voting? Leader decides?)
- If you get to the end of the path (after, say, three raid battles?), You can fight and capture the legendary at the end.

Lots of ways to tinker with this. Does everyone have exactly one pokemon for the whole raid? Or does everyone get to pick, say, three, and switch them between raids? Is there healing between raids?

My big worry is that Nintendo is bad at online and probably won't let you bring in new people if someone drops out between raids.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
It always weirds me out when Pokemon evolve clothes...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bobulus posted:

So, here's my guess how this will work, based purely on images and speculation:

- You form a party of four players in a raid lobby. Everyone picks a pokemon, like they do in current raids.
- You enter the 'caves' below the island. This puts you on a branching pathway.
- Each node in the pathway is a raid battle. You somehow pick which path you take ( voting? Leader decides?)
- If you get to the end of the path (after, say, three raid battles?), You can fight and capture the legendary at the end.

Lots of ways to tinker with this. Does everyone have exactly one pokemon for the whole raid? Or does everyone get to pick, say, three, and switch them between raids? Is there healing between raids?

My big worry is that Nintendo is bad at online and probably won't let you bring in new people if someone drops out between raids.

For whatever reason Dynamax Adventures are rentals only

quote:

In Dynamax Adventures, you’ll team up with three other Trainers to explore a Pokémon Den where Dynamax Pokémon are said to lurk!

Instead of your regular Pokémon team, you and your fellow Trainers will choose rental Pokémon to bring along into the depths of the den. If you encounter a wild Dynamax Pokémon during your exploration, you’ll need to work together with your three teammates in a Max Raid Battle! If you win the battle, you’ll have the chance to catch the Pokémon, and one Trainer on the team can swap the newly caught Pokémon in for the Pokémon they had before. But if you lose a battle, you’ll be ejected from the den!

Try swapping out your Pokémon as you explore so you’ll be prepared to face whatever comes next as you seek the Legendary Pokémon said to lurk in the depths. And if you want to delve even deeper into the den, Endless Dynamax Adventures may be the thing for you! Endless Dynamax Adventures let you keep on going until you lose a battle.

Give them a try if you want to test your mettle.

If we have to battle legendaries with rentals then the catch rate had better be higher...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The hidden ability capsule is called an ability patch.

The Ability Patch: A new useful item for raising Pokémon
In The Crown Tundra, you may get new items called Ability Patches. They’re hard to come by but worth the effort. If you use one on a Pokémon, its Ability will change to its species’ Hidden Ability, if it has one! With an Ability Patch and a helping of Max Soup from the Isle of Armor, you can bring out the Hidden Ability of the first partner Pokémon you chose at the beginning of Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield and give it the capability to Gigantamax as well.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Silvally is a legendary pokemon

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Galarian Slowking, Poison/Psychic. Its signature move, Eerie Spell, is Psychic-type and removes 3 PP from the target when it hits, along with dealing damage. It has a new ability, Curious Medicine, which resets its allies' stat changes when it's sent out.

G-Max Melmetal, it has G-Max Meltdown which has a torment effect, I think this was datamined before but hey

Dynamax Adventures have you use rental Pokémon. After winning a battle, one trainer can swap their rental for a different rental Pokémon. There are also Endless Dynamax Adventures that go until you lose a battle.

Every Legendary Pokémon is here! (Note: some legendaries are version-exclusive)

The Galarian Star Tournament unlocks after enough story progress in the Crown Tundra. There's special dialog depending on who your ally and opponents are.

The Ability Patch is an item that gives a Pokémon its Hidden Ability. Where do you get them? Do they switch Hidden Abilities back to normal abilities? Such are the mysteries.

Go -> Home connectivity. Get a G-Max Melmetal for using it! Terms and conditions apply:

quote:

Please be aware that Pokémon HOME Mystery Gifts are only available on the mobile device version of Pokémon HOME, and the ability to connect to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield is available only on the Nintendo Switch version of Pokémon HOME. Also note that you cannot feed Melmetal the Max Soup from The Isle of Armor, the first wave of content for the Pokémon Sword Expansion Pass and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass. Depending on your OS or device, you may not be able to use certain features.

Wow!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp dynamax adventures sounds bad now

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Bobulus posted:

There's all this stuff about picking mons, and only one person being able to swap in a mon after a battle, and so on. It seems like the kind of thing where people will disconnect if they don't get their way. Hope I'm wrong.

Every legendary will be catchable:

With The Crown Tundra, you’ll be able to encounter every Legendary Pokémon that’s appeared in the main series of Pokémon games! Find Legendary Pokémon during your travels in the Crown Tundra or while you’re on Dynamax Adventures, and you’ll have a chance to catch them! Some Legendary Pokémon appear only in Pokémon Sword with the Pokémon Sword Expansion Pass, while others appear only in Pokémon Shield with the Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Galarian Slowking is horrifying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZ0Zwab6Oc

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Galarian Slowking is horrifying

Should've made it Galarian Cloyster and go hard on it taking control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Thinking of the Pokemon Stadium rental Pokémon and wondering if I'll ever catch a legendary Pokémon again.