Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Josef bugman posted:

That is something I wanted to ask people about on a semi-serious idea, but what does define us?

If it isn't things we like or watch or read or think about, then what is there to your "self". What are the things that make someone that someone? Actions are obviously there, but how much of that is informed by what we read or watch etc.

What defines us?

Purpose. It is purpose that created us, purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us; it is purpose that defines, purpose that binds us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly the vast majority of fiction is just loving really bad.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A hundred years from now dietary supplements and the whole "food as medicine" thing are going to be seen the same way we see phrenology and humours today.

We know pretty well what a body actually needs, and if you get those things your body is getting everything it can possibly use. Also getting those things is trivially easy through a normal (or even bad) diet. Outside of that, your food or flower petals or fungus pills arent making your body do anything it doesn't normally do.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

why do some people get that one type of plastic surgery where your lips get all huge (botox?) like i get some plastic surgeries but thats one that seems like itd always be a straight downgrade from just your normal face, like theres never any reason to do that and it will always make you look hideous so why do people do that

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

why do some people get that one type of plastic surgery where your lips get all huge (botox?) like i get some plastic surgeries but thats one that seems like itd always be a straight downgrade from just your normal face, like theres never any reason to do that and it will always make you look hideous so why do people do that

thinning lips are a sign of aging and getting old freaks people out.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Pick posted:

Honestly the vast majority of fiction is just loving really bad.

I try to think of it as "the vast minority of fiction is exceptional"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Josef bugman posted:

That is something I wanted to ask people about on a semi-serious idea, but what does define us?
Nothing. "People" aren't real. Things just happen and we mistakenly believe it means something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Shibawanko posted:

The successful lip surgeries aren't noticeeable. It's for people with naturally really thin lips. You'd be surprised what a difference full lips can do to a persons face. I've seen it irl

This goes for all plastic surgery. If you see someone with messed up "obvious" surgery it's cuz they got bad surgery and/or they are mentally ill like these guys

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Simon and Garfunkel really let themselves go

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Simon and Garfunkel really let themselves go

I thought this was just an unrelated unpopular opinion for a minute lol.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I hate the term "upshot"

What's upshot?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What's upshot?

not much, chaser!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I really hate America.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I really hate America.

this isn't called the popular opinion thread

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, Canada is going to need to think real soon and real fast how many refugees it'll take over the southern border, and who and why

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, Canada is going to need to think real soon and real fast how many refugees it'll take over the southern border, and who and why
If Biden wins I doubt chuds are going to flee to Canada. More likely Australia.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Grouchio posted:

If Biden wins I doubt chuds are going to flee to Canada. More likely Australia.

Well I hope they take their boats and get the warm reception that usually brings.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Probably some sort of body dysmorphia, where they had it done once and it looked good, then more=better, then 10 years later grandma just looks like she had an allergic reaction to bees all of the time.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Big Bang Theory is funny and enjoyable.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There's cultural trends too, things like that can be signalling that you have wealth and are cool and prosperous. Just like the people on instagram.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

The Big Bang Theory is funny and enjoyable.

It's watchable on the same level as the Apprentice or something, put it on while doing the dishes or taking a poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Santa Claus, the tooth fair, Easter bunny, etc. are bad. If I don't pretend that these particular fictional beings are real, somehow I'm the arsehole even though you're the one lying to your kids? With religious stuff there's an easy out because no one's pretending other religions don't exist, so if a kid asks me if Jesus is real I can just say that some people believe he is and some people don't. But Santa? Nah, I've got to either lie or weasel my way out of it or I'm ruining Christmas. And all for what? You think kids need to be told stuff is real to enjoy it? No one's going around telling kids that Spider-Man's real but that doesn't seem to bother them.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Say that Santa Claus is like Jesus? Accurate and fair.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Stephen King is a lovely writer and I don't like him. Every time I try to give one of his books a chance I just find more reasons to dislike them.

Also why do multiple of his books have a child who gets sexually abused by a parent? Obviously it happens irl, but considering his blase response to questions about the weird stuff in It, and the lovely thing he tweeted about Dylan Farrow, I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this topic.

Tiggum posted:

Santa Claus, the tooth fair, Easter bunny, etc. are bad. If I don't pretend that these particular fictional beings are real, somehow I'm the arsehole even though you're the one lying to your kids? With religious stuff there's an easy out because no one's pretending other religions don't exist, so if a kid asks me if Jesus is real I can just say that some people believe he is and some people don't. But Santa? Nah, I've got to either lie or weasel my way out of it or I'm ruining Christmas. And all for what? You think kids need to be told stuff is real to enjoy it? No one's going around telling kids that Spider-Man's real but that doesn't seem to bother them.

Why do you even care what other people tell their kids for fun? If you're not comfortable answering questions, tell them "ask your parents about that" and be done with it.

And yes, if you spoil Santa for someone else's preschooler, you are probably an rear end in a top hat.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

like just tell the kid you don't loving know who cares?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

The concept of Santa Claus is not just a way to preserve childlike wonder for a few more years of living in an increasingly pessimistic society, it's also a way to keep your child from becoming spoiled by tying good behavior to specifically rare gifts. "Act kind in the long term = you are rewarded" is a valuable lesson to teach. If you tell your kid "I bought these presents for you because you weren't naughty", that teaches the kid to expect a reward from you for their good behavior every time since you're around them 24/7. But if you say "a mysterious man nobody knows bought these presents for you because you weren't naughty", that removes the expectation. And I know it sounds silly to talk about teaching a child as if you are training a dog but remember that they literally have never experienced anything like Christmas before, which makes it a good teaching tool. Like yes you are lying to a kid to preserve their innocence, but it's less about them literally believing in the magical fat man himself and more about teaching them the value of acting kind over an extended period of time.

edit: The tooth fairy I agree is a bit strange because that one is just a family tradition kind of thing. Some parents do it because they want to keep the kid's tooth in one of those memory box things that look like a terrifying phylactery for their soul

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Sep 29, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Telemaze posted:

Why do you even care what other people tell their kids for fun?
Because I have to interact with those kids, and then I'm expected to uphold the lie like I'm part of some conspiracy that I don't want to be in. And if you think kids are just going to let it drop if you say "ask your parents" then I assume you've never interacted with a child. If they're savvy enough to ask the question, they're savvy enough to know you're being evasive and to push you for an answer.

Elfgames posted:

like just tell the kid you don't loving know who cares?
I care. That's the point. I don't like being forced into telling stupid lies - and "I don't know" is just as much a lie as "yes".

CJacobs posted:

Like yes you are lying to a kid to preserve their innocence, but it's less about them literally believing in the magical fat man himself and more about teaching them the value of acting kind over an extended period of time.
I would love to see literally any research at all backing this up, because it sounds like bullshit. Kids know they're getting presents no matter what.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tiggum posted:

Just lie to kids, it's not a big deal, goddamn.

"Oh no i was at my friend's house for D&D night and his five year old asked me if Santa Claus was real, casting me into an inescapable moral quandary! Do I risk offending my Dungeon Master, or do I tell an unforgivable lie?!?! Curse your holiday traditions to trap me in deceits not of my own making!"

Get over yourself and lie to children.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Just lie to kids, it's not a big deal, goddamn.
Or; just stop lying to kids. It's not a big deal. Goddamn.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just lie, outrageously and often, to everyone. It’ll be fine.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Not actively telling a kid that Santa is not real is just common courtesy, but being drawn into a web of lies is another thing. This applies to a lot of things, not just kids and Santa.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My mom kept asking me if I wanted my gifts to say “From Santa” until I was 19. Don’t make a dumb joke about my username.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

edit: The tooth fairy I agree is a bit strange because that one is just a family tradition kind of thing. Some parents do it because they want to keep the kid's tooth in one of those memory box things that look like a terrifying phylactery for their soul

I always assumed that the tooth fairy is intended to help soothe and mitigate the horror of parts of your body falling off

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Do you actually have any proof that Santa isn't real?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

docbeard posted:

Do you actually have any proof that Santa isn't real?
My parents confessed after I grew up that all of Santa's presents were from them. The first crack in that theory is when they gave me my grandma's roomba in 6th grade. "Gee how did Santa get ahold of that?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One of the dubious advantages of being Of A Certain Age (and Of A Certain Size) is that it will soon be trivial for me to dress as Santa if I so choose.

And I so choose.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

a view to a kill is one of the best james bond movies

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

Because I have to interact with those kids, and then I'm expected to uphold the lie like I'm part of some conspiracy that I don't want to be in. And if you think kids are just going to let it drop if you say "ask your parents" then I assume you've never interacted with a child. If they're savvy enough to ask the question, they're savvy enough to know you're being evasive and to push you for an answer.

I care. That's the point. I don't like being forced into telling stupid lies - and "I don't know" is just as much a lie as "yes".

I would love to see literally any research at all backing this up, because it sounds like bullshit. Kids know they're getting presents no matter what.

My advice is to not be so quick to let pretty minor social interactions twist you into a gordian knot of stress. It's really not that complex, man.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

From day one, I have always had a fantastic relationship with my mother, and I still do. The first time I got really deeply upset with her was when I found out Santa Claus & the Tooth Fairy weren't real. It sounds overdramatic, I know, but the reason I was so upset is because it was the first time I felt like I couldn't trust her. The fact that she would lie to my face for years really hurt me, and the fact that I believed her made me feel embarrassed & stupid. (edit: I'm 33 years old, and I still remember these feelings; kids are vulnerable as hell, and all kinds of experiences get seared onto their brains.)

Anyway, lying to children is wrong. If for some reason I get into a conversation with a child about Santa, I'll refer to it as a fun tradition but I would feel like a total rear end in a top hat if I perpetuated a child's belief in an actual Santa Claus.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Sep 29, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tiggum posted:

Or; just stop lying to kids. It's not a big deal. Goddamn.

When we are teaching physics you keep it simple. This leads to a lot of things where people can understand and grasp something but which, if you look at it later or with more knowledge, is entirely incorrect.

In the same way we tell people stories, it helps get at something true that is part of it. Saying that, it's up to other people if they want to tell their kids about Father Christmas. I do not intend to ever have kids so will not have that difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't even remember when I found out Santa wasn't real

The stakes weren't very high, because my parents only labeled gifts for the whole family, like a TV or whatever, as "from Santa," and all gifts specifically for me or my brother said "from mom and dad"

Seems like a pretty good way to handle it