Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if I would be entirely surprised to learn that there is no technical law against building a volley gun, or presumably on that same basis, outfitting your car with a carronade battery so you can broadside people who try to overtake you.

A volley gun I /believe/ would not be permitted as it fires more than one shot with each 'trigger pull' (hot wire/fuze/whatever). But if each barrel fired individually? Honestly, no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So you're saying I can definitely outfit my corsa as a 144 gun ship of the line and declare myself sovereign over the A66.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As long as each cannon has a maximum bore of 2"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Camrath posted:

My parents place, where they're currently living. Got a problem?

drat they must be getting owned by brexit

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

feedmegin posted:

I mean, like, Prosciutto is fairly available over here too and is basically the same principle.

It's not the exact same process though. Curing salt mixes are basically split into Type 1 and Type 2 (basically does it have nitrate in the mix or not); Type 1 is for curing meat like bacon that is intended to be cooked and Type 2 is for the stuff you're curing to be eaten uncooked. Modern shop bought bacon especially won't have been cured long enough to render it safe to eat raw. And it's also unlikely 'smoked' bacon you buy has actually been smoked either, but had flavourings injected in it, so it's not any safer either. Cooking meat is pretty much the only way to guarantee it's safe but the risks associated with eating dry cure meat are really down to making sure it's done properly and the quality of the meat you're using in terms of whether the animals have been reared in a disease ridden cesspit or not. So if you're going to do some home dry curing don't use budget mass produced pork. Curing your own bacon is something anyone can do as it's a lot less hard to gently caress up than a dry cure sausage for example. You can just buy a pack of curing salt 1 from amazon or wherever and cure a nice pork belly from your local butchers in a food bag in your fridge. The result is going to taste much better than anything you buy in a packet especially if you add flavourings like pepper and garlic to your cure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 2" maximum bore limit for a shotgun was picked to preserve this traditional Lincolnshire activity, which tbh seems a lot better than the upper-class pursuits of breeding idiot chickens to shoot at and harassing wildlife on horseback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOkrprr2kwg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the loving state of this government

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1310927160153174016?s=20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TACD posted:

My partner had a Russian flatmate at Uni who used to slice up and eat raw chicken breasts

I know this is a thing in Japan as "chicken sashimi", but it's supposed be really high-quality meat.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/sarf_ldngirl/status/1310852638599249920?s=20

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My uni mates used to love Tesco value sausages crammed with a variety of spices served with value noodles. To be honest I've not had many worse 30p meals

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know what era you were at school, but in the 70s when I was at secondary school, girls did cookery and boys did woodwork. When we got to our 'choices' year (year 10 in the new money), for the compulsory 'arts/crafts' subject, I chose to do technical drawing (I was the only girl - and as ever with my choices found other girls sneered at me and made comments about me choosing it - not the boys - even though as it happens I was second in the class, the boy who was top had a draughtsman father) and 2 boys chose cookery.

Then my folks moved to Germany and at the all girls army comprehensive I ended up in there was no TD provision and I was supposed to sit at the back of the bottom group art class and do TD by myself - yeah right. I switched to music after a term.

One of my relatives went into teaching in the early 2000s and was training in "Resistant Materials" and I had no idea what that was - turns out it was Woodwork & Metalwork LOL

My momma never taught me how to cook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUcE9cdQdkM

VVV - I loved TD and when I started my Surveying training I got great marks and comments for my technical drawings :D It's all on CAD now I guess!

Hah, we didn't get the option of cookery, or IT, or anything useful like that - not when there was Latin to learn!! In fact the headteacher declared that computers would never amount to anything and weren't worth learning about - in 1999.

I wish I'd paid more attention in Design & Technology though, I feel a bit left behind in that.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

lol my first on campus workshop is tomorrow and is going to be 60 people ffs

lol jesus. shoulda hooked up with your uni before term started and convinced them for all distance learning, they were pretty willing in my case (admittedly after i clarified i wouldn't be using student accommodation anyway, lol)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

lol jesus. shoulda hooked up with your uni before term started and convinced them for all distance learning, they were pretty willing in my case (admittedly after i clarified i wouldn't be using student accommodation anyway, lol)

yeah i can probably do it i'm just gonna see how this week goes for now. 60 was way more than i was expecting lol it was a real wtf moment

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The scum never changes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

As long as each cannon has a maximum bore of 2"

He's driving a Corsa, the maximum bore is already around six feet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand I don't want to drive like a twat, on the other hand if I don't redline it in first and deafen everybody nearby, it doesn't go anywhere because it's powered by a sewing machine, so I'm just driving like a different sort of twat.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I don't know if it's just the reporting on it, but the Johnson's waffling today about vocational training etc seems to be doing a really good job of avoiding talking about what post-covid jobs/skills people will be trained for other than something about "online shopping". So I guess delivery drivers and warehouse staff is what he's meaning?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54338762

Its to work in b&m shops

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Your job will be to oil the roombas

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sorry for the Mail link, but this chap is a convicted criminal.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

We'd have done something wrong if warehouse and delivery jobs are still done by people in ten years. The only jobs in ten years will be dentist, entertainer, midwife, dog walker, bar staff and fruit picker. Luckily we'll all get $100 amazon bucks every month to recycle into Bezotism, the next stage on from capitalism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Plus there'll be a small army of expats hiding in bunkers in New Zealand and paying credits for the smoothest brained takes of the week published on Spectator TV and Spikedbook.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/kennardmatt/status/1310596070704119810?s=19

I'm not surprised the uk left media types have been mostly quiet about this tbh, it's pretty obvious they are first and foremost careerists, and also terrified of being labelled a conspiracy theorist and kicked out of the club.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Forum update: see Jeffrey of YOSPOS announcement update

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

yaaaay I'm being made redundant

Thank god I got jobhunting a couple of weeks back.

It wont go into effect until the 30th Oct as we're on consultation, and I've been there 5+ years so I'm hoping for a meaty notice & statutory payout

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Skeletome posted:

It wont go into effect until the 30th Oct as we're on consultation, and I've been there 5+ years so I'm hoping for a meaty notice & statutory payout

oh yeah that will be a nice chunk of change. is it still tax free?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skeletome posted:

Lowtax alt detected.

J/k, sorry to hear that mate, hoping you get a fat wad of cash that you can spaff on vidya

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

CoolCab posted:

oh yeah that will be a nice chunk of change. is it still tax free?

I think up to 30k is tax-free, which I won't be hitting

I work in product management for a job board, and christ even I wasn't expecting job-hunting to be this dire

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Here's an old telephone exchange for sale for £5000 where we can set up the revolutionary headquarters:

Far too exposed. ROC bunkers come up for sale every once in a while and generally already have a toilet, shower, and fresh water from a well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also perfectly accommodates the average number of people in a revolutionary communist group before splitting occurs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Also perfectly accommodates the average number of people in a revolutionary communist group before splitting occurs.

One?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Speaking of Iceland being loving amazing:

Camrath, Baileys fudge when? You could call it 'the Irish border solution.'

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Seems a bit spurious TBH, but then equally well I could see Sainsburys gambling (rather correctly) that nobody in the UK would give a gently caress what Egyptian law and courts have to say.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Camrath, Baileys fudge when? You could call it 'the Irish border solution.'

Miwk Gapes Memorial Fudge

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My uni mates used to love Tesco value sausages crammed with a variety of spices served with value noodles. To be honest I've not had many worse 30p meals

I've maybe told this story before but I was friends with a guy at uni who used to make what he would call "meat bread". A full loaf of bread, top cut off and hollowed out, filled with miscellaneous meats - sausages and bacon mostly I think, then put in the oven for something like an hour.

I mean, fine I guess, but can't have been very interesting, and terrible for you.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I'm currently sitting in a 4000 square meter open plan office and my desk and myself are the only things left, maybe I've been 'Miltoned'.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SpicePro posted:

I'm currently sitting in a 4000 square meter open plan office and my desk and myself are the only things left, maybe I've been 'Miltoned'.

Has social distancing gone too far?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SpicePro posted:

If you know you've been Miltoned, then you know there's only one logical next step

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

WhatEvil posted:

I've maybe told this story before but I was friends with a guy at uni who used to make what he would call "meat bread". A full loaf of bread, top cut off and hollowed out, filled with miscellaneous meats - sausages and bacon mostly I think, then put in the oven for something like an hour.

I mean, fine I guess, but can't have been very interesting, and terrible for you.

And that guys name was Albert Einstein

I never saw anything too peculiar cooking-wise, which is a shame, as I live for that kind of poo poo. People who post photos on Instagram of meals they are so happy with and it's just a dry chicken breast with microwaved peas. Or things that 'look burnt but taste sooooo good'

I am only into authentic gently caress-ups, not GBBO type stuff. The primo poo poo, top shelf, if you take enough of anything you can get high.