Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

all suns all the time baby

it’s like volcano worship! you have a plethora of godheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are the religious guys praying to the sun in our system, the local star, or the overarching concept of nuclear fusion? I'd imagine that would be a bit hard to reconcile.

Might as well ask what heaven christians will be praying to on Mars

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I was very much into the first hour but yikes this show has no loving clue what it is or what it is doing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

MaoistBanker posted:

I was very much into the first hour but yikes this show has no loving clue what it is or what it is doing.

I have hope that we'll get at least something other than a cliffhanger but I was also really really hooked by the first few seasons of Lost and we all know how that turned out.

Anyway they're all still in the Simulation and haven't even gotten to Keppler 22-B yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything being a simulation or a mega cliff hanger finale would be just about the only things that would get me to turn on the show at this point. Even then I'd probably forgive it if it was done well, but the simulation option would be a hard sell. I don't think it's that's the case though. It would be such a copout and there are already much more interesting theories for what is going on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

GABA ghoul posted:

Psure Christian heaven hasn’t been the sky in a while now. Ever since people made flying contraptions.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Psure Christian heaven hasn’t been the sky in a while now. Ever since people made flying contraptions.
Depends on the Christian.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

angerbeet posted:

I have hope that we'll get at least something other than a cliffhanger but I was also really really hooked by the first few seasons of Lost and we all know how that turned out.

Anyway they're all still in the Simulation and haven't even gotten to Keppler 22-B yet.

So basically Pandorum in spirit.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I’m kinda hoping they take the Preacher season 1 finale route and just wipe out everyone other than Mother, Father, and Campion in some explosion

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Father owns

I had the silliest grin on my face when he was restored.

I feel like guessing where the story is going is completely pointless with a show like this, but what the hell, my out of left field guess is the “temple” in the desert is the spaceship of those other creatures who crash landed ages before the humans did and the hole they keep sticking their hands in is the rear exhaust of the ship.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I had the silliest grin on my face when he was restored.

I feel like guessing where the story is going is completely pointless with a show like this, but what the hell, my out of left field guess is the “temple” in the desert is the spaceship of those other creatures who crash landed ages before the humans did and the hole they keep sticking their hands in is the rear exhaust of the ship.

its a corpse and thats its butthole

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Huh ok so Aliens came to 22B for the exact same reason as the humans, their homeworld is a poo poo hole. They make similar mistakes and also brought androids and the androids did a thing as well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

Just like Lexx!

E: His Divine Shadow is going to reveal itself as the enemy of Sol Invictus.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 28, 2020

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

Similar to me after chipotle

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hm what I get from chipotle is more of a platonic loose

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

figured out why this show swaps between sucking rear end and being super good constantly. its a pretty interesting couple of hours of heady existentialist scifi stretched out to fill multiple seasons of episodic cliffhanger based tv

Isn't this the worst show you ever seen why on Earth you still watching it

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, you're asking hardline religious fundamentalists to be rational about their 2000-year-old religion. Wearing mixed-fiber clothing is as sinful as homosexuality in the Old Testament, but try asking an Evangelical Christian about it.

I have trouble reconciling that part of the premise: in the war between Atheists and Fundies, it's the fundies who have super-science magic tech and the atheists who improvise weapons from garbage. You'd think the "atheists" would be the ones more comfortable pushing the boundaries of science, developing advanced AI and what-not. But they're resorting to child-soldiers and IED's while the Evangelicals are the ones building Star Trek-level FTL and super-killbots. I guess Sol isn't as anti-science as Jesus.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OH WORD SON posted:

I'm pretty sure he secretly loves it.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Xealot posted:

Yeah, you're asking hardline religious fundamentalists to be rational about their 2000-year-old religion. Wearing mixed-fiber clothing is as sinful as homosexuality in the Old Testament, but try asking an Evangelical Christian about it.

I have trouble reconciling that part of the premise: in the war between Atheists and Fundies, it's the fundies who have super-science magic tech and the atheists who improvise weapons from garbage. You'd think the "atheists" would be the ones more comfortable pushing the boundaries of science, developing advanced AI and what-not. But they're resorting to child-soldiers and IED's while the Evangelicals are the ones building Star Trek-level FTL and super-killbots. I guess Sol isn't as anti-science as Jesus.

Just looking at the state of the US today, it's controlled in large part by a party that has a significant number of religious fundamentalists helping to keep them in power. There's never been an atheist president, at least not one that would admit it. Religion and power have always gone hand-in-hand. Anyway, in the world of the show it appears that the Mithraist scriptures were actually true, at least in the sense that it had coded schematics of some sort that revealed the secret of "dark photons." I think the show's version of atheists are basically revolutionaries of some sort who just had to make do with what they had without the access to the secrets of that tech.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Also, the real Mithraic cult was what's known as a "mystery cult," there were quite a few of them in the ancient world. The Eleusinian Mysteries is another example in ancient Greece, supposedly after thousands of years some Roman emperor was the first non-initiate to enter their most important ritual space. All of them were very serious about preventing the uninitiated from taking part in or gaining knowledge of their rituals.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OH WORD SON posted:

i always finish what i start and i suspect the season finale is gonna be cool and epic

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Xealot posted:

I think there was one line from the believers about how their advanced tech came from a book of sol or something, so it's probably an alien loving with them and it turns out its a new Twilight Zone spin-off episode.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

i always finish what i start and i suspect the season finale is gonna be cool and epic

Man this milk has turned!

Guess I'll just have to drink it twice as fast

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the good chunks are on the bottom

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Xealot posted:

The stuff that we see on earth is a guerilla resistance by the remnants of the atheists. Before the show starts there was a relatively normal version of Earth with some kind of mithraic nation state that then decided they wanted to conquer the world. The mithraics got necromancers either by conquering an atheist state that had the technology or by decoding their scriptures (this is looking more likely now). Necromancers went on to absolutely gently caress up the atheists to the point that the atheists deployed nukes to try to stop them. That didn't work, but now the whole world was hosed. So everything we've seen on the show is after the mithraics already won the war, conquered all of earth, but oops it sucks now and they build the ark to start a new colony on kepler 22. There's a comic that got put out for free that goes over all this in passing.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Of course there is a comic/novel/Fortnite tie-in that explains all the plot they forgot to include in the actual main story. You can't complete the checklist of lovely storytelling without the tie-in!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How much of this is inspired by the South Park dawkins episode tho?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Of course there is a comic/novel/Fortnite tie-in that explains all the plot they forgot to include in the actual main story. You can't complete the checklist of lovely storytelling without the tie-in!
Yeah, just quickly read this online. I kinda don't like that they claim the secret knowledge wasn't originally in the religious texts, it was just probably stolen from an Atheist nation. Unless this comic is considered canon by the writers, they shouldn't be weighing in that much on such a big mystery.

Then again, it was Mother saying this and she's programmed to mistrust anything the Mithraic say.

Comic was kinda pointless altogether.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, just quickly read this online. I kinda don't like that they claim the secret knowledge wasn't originally in the religious texts, it was just probably stolen from an Atheist nation. Unless this comic is considered canon by the writers, they shouldn't be weighing in that much on such a big mystery.

Then again, it was Mother saying this and she's programmed to mistrust anything the Mithraic say.

Comic was kinda pointless altogether.

It's written by Aaron Guzikowski, the creator of the series, so it's canon. Agree that it's pretty pointless and skippable due to the curse of tie in content: it can't actually provide essential information or have any impact on the show because not everyone who watches the show will read it.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Eh, imo the show does not need to get into this stuff, it's clear that it is focusing on the kepler story. Spending an episode or more flashbacks on the history of the apocalypse would have just been slow and unnecessary. The comic just very briefly does a quick "ok here's what happened and what's a necromancer" and then goes to kepler, it is in no way required to understand or appreciate the show.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

At this point it seems pretty obvious that the "religious" group are the onews who received secret alien technology and built their identity around it; the atheists are those who rejected it / were attacked by the Mithraics and are at a disadvantage since they have to rely on conventional equipment.

And the religion is referring to the worship of the alien guidance, whether the Mithraics realize it or not.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How is this show any more grounded than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0fCL82XwwU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This show is so bad and stupid, yet so weird and awesome. I keep it watching it for the next utter absurdity or genuinely well composed shot of android body horror. I loved Mother surrounded by all the dismembered corpses feeding her milk.

It did take me a while to free myself from the constraints of TACTICAL REALISM and stop worrying about the viable breeding population. For maybe the first five episodes, I couldn't get over the characters' total lack of concern about the survival of the human species. Mother's supposed to preserve the human race, she and Father completely gently caress it up by feeding their kids radioactive tubers, she's down to one kid, a spaceship shows up with advanced technology and DNA and all kinds of stuff she could use and she crashes it? this makes perfect sense once you realize Mother is not exactly a beep boop optimum tactics kind of android

The Mithraists are running around in a steadily dwindling group, killing each other and getting killed, apparently just ignoring the fact that there's already no way they can have or raise enough children and they're all going to die here and humanity will end forever. Nobody acknowledges this, they just make plans like "let's go to the tropics" as if that isn't just a new venue to die. It's like watching Battlestar Galactica but nobody's concerned about the population count, instead they're arguing about whether to become vegetarians. Everyone on this show is loving nuts. Crazy poo poo happens and then it's off to the next scene.

But right about the time Mother had hot virus sex and gallons of milk cum shot out of the ceiling I guess everything clicked as a weird allegory and now I'm excited to see what's up with the eraserhead alien and the ghosts and the big holes.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 29, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Also I hope Ridley gets to do his last David movie before he dies.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Also I hope Ridley gets to do his last David movie before he dies.
Same.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
idk, if i know I'm the last of humanity and our species last real hope got crashed into a mountain from orbit, going to the tropics and loving and chilling until extinction and not worrying about brother Lucius seems pretty rational to me, at least as rational as choosing to pray to the anus of an alien dodecahedron in the desert

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 29, 2020

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

General Battuta posted:

Nobody acknowledges this, they just make plans like "let's go to the tropics" as if that isn't just a new venue to die. It's like watching Battlestar Galactica but nobody's concerned about the population count, instead they're arguing about whether to become vegetarians.

The vegetarian argument thing is probably a nod to Cain and Abel since we're doing the whole hinting at Christianity but actually it's Mithras thing as I guess Constantine never was a thing in this universe. Iirc the moral of the story is that God is kind of a dick.

As for travelling to the tropical zone to die, I'd rather live there than Radon Canyon.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
All those dead mithraic are technically food. Burned up guy was even cooked for free!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

angerbeet posted:

As for travelling to the tropical zone to die, I'd rather live there than Radon Canyon.

Gamma Gorge

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

General Battuta posted:

This show is so bad and stupid, yet so weird and awesome. I keep it watching it for the next utter absurdity or genuinely well composed shot of android body horror. I loved Mother surrounded by all the dismembered corpses feeding her milk.

It did take me a while to free myself from the constraints of TACTICAL REALISM and stop worrying about the viable breeding population. For maybe the first five episodes, I couldn't get over the characters' total lack of concern about the survival of the human species. Mother's supposed to preserve the human race, she and Father completely gently caress it up by feeding their kids radioactive tubers, she's down to one kid, a spaceship shows up with advanced technology and DNA and all kinds of stuff she could use and she crashes it? this makes perfect sense once you realize Mother is not exactly a beep boop optimum tactics kind of android

The Mithraists are running around in a steadily dwindling group, killing each other and getting killed, apparently just ignoring the fact that there's already no way they can have or raise enough children and they're all going to die here and humanity will end forever. Nobody acknowledges this, they just make plans like "let's go to the tropics" as if that isn't just a new venue to die. It's like watching Battlestar Galactica but nobody's concerned about the population count, instead they're arguing about whether to become vegetarians. Everyone on this show is loving nuts. Crazy poo poo happens and then it's off to the next scene.

But right about the time Mother had hot virus sex and gallons of milk cum shot out of the ceiling I guess everything clicked as a weird allegory and now I'm excited to see what's up with the eraserhead alien and the ghosts and the big holes.

I think I'm watching a totally different show than you. The last episodes explicitly stated that Campion and the kids were just a practice/learning run and never intended to rebuild humanity.

Almost every single "plot hole" from the first few episode got explained in a satisfying way in the last few episodes. Why can't you just chill and enjoy the drat show instead of obsessively imagining plot holes in every scene and line of dialog? Lost really broke a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I never watched Lost do people actually still rewatch that like Friends and Office?