Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/nOIT8CI.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Artistry: 10/10

Scaffold: 5/10?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

https://www.npr.org/2015/02/07/384576113/war-rugs-reflect-afghanistans-long-history-with-conflict

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/4f2fmeq.mp4

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor red lights

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/CIXkO2y.mp4

Dubuque, Iowa. Some pretty salty language in that one. One firefighter sustained minor injuries.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GotLag posted:

No we won't.

Coal exists because woody plants evolved ~360 million years ago to use a polymer called lignin for the bulk of their structure. It took about 50-60 million years for fungi to evolve with the ability to digest lignin. Most of the coal we have now was laid down in that window, when there was nothing that could eat all the dead trees.

efb

This theory has been getting some pushback
https://www.pnas.org/content/113/9/2442

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/nNaDWh8.mp4

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kinda seems like the video cuts off just when they're about to realize that that horse ain't stopping

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It's cool they at least put a sheet down but that outhouse sucks balls

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CIXkO2y.mp4

Dubuque, Iowa. Some pretty salty language in that one. One firefighter sustained minor injuries.

OH poo poo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

His Divine Shadow posted:

This theory has been getting some pushback
https://www.pnas.org/content/113/9/2442

Neat, thanks

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/701265871317762110/760499142539345920/LiveLeak-dot-com-trailer_1601349713.mp4.5f72a8c511d8b.mp4

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:gas:

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Dude almost had a much worse day.
Looks like houston-texas.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

grillster posted:

yeah if you like seeing pickup trucks speeding/driving aggressively in all weather/load conditions, houston is the place.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fifth wheel connection seems solid

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

This is the first step in evolution toward Mega Man met hats, isn't it?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Not having your hard-hat lanyard attached when off-shore is a rookie mistake.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Not having your hard-hat lanyard attached when off-shore is a rookie mistake.

But if you get in an accident, you could get trapped inside your hat and burn alive. Better to be thrown clear.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I thought I also remembered people having concerns that galvanic corrosion wasn't understood at the time and that it weakened the rivets, increasing the damage. On the other hand I would think they would have figured out the rough principles of galvanic corrosion since they had been copper bottoming ships since the early 1800s and the titanic wasn't the first metal hulled ship

The first ship launched in the “independence class” LCS program for the US Navy suffered from “aggressive disintegration” due to corrosion... I don’t think it had any real corrosion protection systems cause the hull was aluminum and that doesn’t corrode!

That ship was launched in 2008 and commissioned in 2010. Its scheduled to be decommissioned next year already. The whole LCS program is a disaster though, so it’s not just cause the hull was disintegrating.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

`Nemesis posted:

The first ship launched in the “independence class” LCS program for the US Navy suffered from “aggressive disintegration” due to corrosion... I don’t think it had any real corrosion protection systems cause the hull was aluminum and that doesn’t corrode!

Yeah but that wasn't because the shipbuilding industry as a whole didn't know about it, that was because one bean counter somewhere struck out the corrosion preventer as a cost-saving measure

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm just an accountant, how was I supposed to know that placing two different metals near each other in salt water causes corrosion?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The recent netflix documentary series on challenger was really quite good. It had all the principle players involved and presented things, in my mind at least, in a pretty evenhanded way. Seeing the anguish in the thiokol folks for not stepping up more forcefully, still acute 35 years later, was powerful.

Watching William Lucas, the director of the space center on launch day, defend his decision to launch and say he would make the same decision today based on the same information was equally powerful, in a different way. That guy's method of coping has been flat out denial and it was fascinating, and a little horrifying, to watch.

My favorite bit, even though I remember it from when it happened (yes I'm old) is Richard Feynman straight up owning the Rogers Commission and, by extension, Regan himself (who wanted NASA absolved of blame) with his little rubber O-ring parlor trick on camera, which only he could have pulled off. What I didn't know is he colluded on making it public with an Air Force general who had the intel slipped to him by Sally Ride, of all people.

And that's why so much info about the O ring failure is publicly known.

Edit: this specifically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raMmRKGkGD4

Sally Ride got inside Intel from lower-level NASA and Thiokol engineers regarding the O-ring issues but knew she would be stonewalled. She passed it to General Kutyna, who at the Air Force had managed the Defense aspect of the Shuttle program and actually gave a poo poo about the astronauts since so many were previously under his command, and he in turn gave it to Feynman, as only a Nobel-prize winning physicist would be taken seriously with such a short demonstration.

It worked, spectacularly well, and re-focused the entire commission on the problem.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 29, 2020

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Fun Fact: HydraPak Inc, the company that made the o-rings for the boosters on Challenger, was owned by Lyle and Warren Jeffs, leaders of the Mormon offshoot cult the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The FLDS was famous for, among other things, farming out its vast army of young kids to work in the various businesses that made the Jeffs' a lot of money. There is a very non-zero change that some aspect of the manufacture of those rings was done by what amounts to a child slave of a pedophilic sex cult.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ah, the rare Portuguese Man o'Work

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

haveblue posted:

Yeah but that wasn't because the shipbuilding industry as a whole didn't know about it, that was because one bean counter somewhere struck out the corrosion preventer as a cost-saving measure

I keep hearing this and nobody has ever provided a single bit of evidence for it. I mean, not even any reporting that I can find says that. A complete failure of anyone to design a cathodic-protection system into the ship is far more likely and believable than a single bean counter somewhere saying "CPS protection? Sounds expensive, delete that," and everyone else just saying "okay."

FWIW, Austal says they built a lot of ships that way and the only group having problems was the USN because everyone else follows its recommended operational maintenance procedures. If a manufacturer had laid that kind of blame on the USN in the 80s, I'd have considered it risible, but the current USN is so broken that this also is entirely believable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sacrificial Anode would be a great name for a metal band

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I'm just an accountant, how was I supposed to know that placing two different metals near each other in salt water causes corrosion?

The engineer on the phone you just called because you saw something you didn't recognize and wanted more information before you made an arbitrary decision told you.

That is a purely theoretical scenario though. No one has actually ever tested this in the real world.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Moo the cow posted:

Depends if you consider it from the driver's viewpoint or that of the spectators.

If it was Group B rally from the 80s the spectators would be on top of the ramp.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Mister Speaker posted:

ah, the rare Portuguese Man o'Work

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

CannonFodder posted:

If it was Group B rally from the 80s the spectators would be the ramp.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

oh the glory days

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

-Zydeco- posted:

The engineer on the phone you just called because you saw something you didn't recognize and wanted more information before you made an arbitrary decision told you.

That is a purely theoretical scenario though. No one has actually ever tested this in the real world.

Nonsense! Engineers ask for more money all the time. You can't listen to what the subject matter expert tells you, that's just ludicrous!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

oh the glory days

Ah, when men were men and spectators were dead

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

grillster posted:

Hey I just want to chime in to say gently caress dallas interstates too

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jetpack paramedics.

Jetpack paramedics with the jets on their hands.

Surely this the only way to traverse the rugged terrain England is so famous for.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Knormal posted:

Jetpack paramedics.

Surely this the only way to traverse the rugged terrain England is so famous for.

Love that they pretend this will be used for helpful thing and not just state sponsored assassinations and abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Knormal posted:

Jetpack paramedics.

the guy who invented this poo poo is trying so hard to find a utility beyond 'rich oligarch playground'