Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Lowen SoDium posted:

What are the "Addition Tweaks"?
All I know is from a linus video, but basically more clocks at a undervolt is the main selling point.

I see you discovered english isn't his first language!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NewFatMike posted:

We did it everyone. We got an mITX AM4 mobo:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/biostar-debuts-worlds-first-mini-itx-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen

I, for one, am excited to get weird with small form factor, underclocked R7s.

E: X370 and B350 chipsets.

LOL jokes on you, that is BIOSTAR. Basically the worst motherboard vendor that exists.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dog that posts from 2017

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
:drat:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

redeyes posted:

LOL jokes on you, that is BIOSTAR. Basically the worst motherboard vendor that exists.

What happened here?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

redeyes posted:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Do I need to explain it? Biostar is bad mmk.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

redeyes posted:

Elitegroup Computer Systems might have something to say about that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

redeyes posted:

Here's a post and AM4 mITX mobo from the current decade

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

future ghost posted:

Sorry, you win this argument. But I think they died?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

redeyes posted:

Apparently not. Their site lists some terrible 10th gen boards but god knows where they can sell them:
https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Model/EN/Socket%201200/Motherboard/Socket%201200/7

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

NZXT's boards were also ECS made, but I don't believe they are in production anymore. They also make a lot of the OEM motherboards you see in laptops for other brands, like Lenovo and Acer.

Also inquiring minds still want to know what happened when you quoted 2017 post.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Let me guess: you were caught up and then unmarked the thread by accident. You opened the thread and remarked it. Then when you came back later to read the thread you forgot about that and replied to something on the most recent page you were reading.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

future ghost posted:

Maybe, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the K7S5A.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

hobbesmaster posted:

Let me guess: you were caught up and then unmarked the thread by accident. You opened the thread and remarked it. Then when you came back later to read the thread you forgot about that and replied to something on the most recent page you were reading.

Ahh, the Modified Derek Smart thread catch-up.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mdxi posted:

Ahh, the Modified Derek Smart thread catch-up.

Becoming a mod of your own subforum?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

I just bought an ECS A320 motherboard last week

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goondolences

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It was only like 45 bucks and I'm only going to put an Athlon 200GE on it so my brother can move on from his FM2+ platform. It'll be fine I think.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, when your budget is $45, ECS and Biostar are your options. I've used them for computers that had to be dirt cheap and they've been fine for that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:unsmigghh:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Khorne posted:

I think the Elite Wifi is out now and $200 instead of $270. It wasn't out near launch. I'd definitely compare features & ports of the two before deciding.
This is also a decent board to compare the features of the elite to. For x570 boards, most are good boards you just need to find the right features at the right price. If you're someone with no specific needs then anything that has wifi+bluetooth will probably be fine.

I got the Elite non-wifi in April and it's been great. No complaints here. I generally prefer to run discrete wifi, hence the Aorus Elite rather than Elite wifi, but otherwise I think the boards are identical.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

drat, didn't realize ECS was still kicking around.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I got the Elite non-wifi in April and it's been great. No complaints here. I generally prefer to run discrete wifi, hence the Aorus Elite rather than Elite wifi, but otherwise I think the boards are identical.

Cool, yeah the only reason why I asked for Wifi boards was because I really like the bluetooth radio on these Intel cards and work with my controllers without issues and I'd prefer to use those instead of USB bluetooth dongles.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I got the X570 Elite Wifi specifically for Bluetooth (and because it has a shitload of USB2 and 3 ports) and I also have no complaints. XMP worked flawlessly first try, whereas my previous B350/1700 combo couldn't get past 2933 for the life of it on the same RAM chips. Bluetooth has been pretty much flawless; worlds better than the dongles I was using before. Just about any X570 wifi board should have the same antenna though.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 30, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Asus announced a second revision of it's B450 motherboard line.

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/Best-AMD-Ryzen-B450/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OhFunny posted:

Asus announced a second revision of it's B450 motherboard line.

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/Best-AMD-Ryzen-B450/

But... why?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cygni posted:

Leaks are starting in earnest. You can always tell when the board partners get their validation parts!

https://twitter.com/tum_apisak/status/1310793433578053632?s=21

e: KEEP YOUR EXPECTATIONS DOWN.... but wowzer

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1310796311017345025

Does anyone know enough about ashes to put these results in context? Just browsing their benchmark database, setting to that same 4k/DX12 preset, it looks like there's only two results with a CPU FPS score higher than the 133 in that second screenshot, and both results are from a (Presumably massively overclocked) i9-10980XE chip.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
System integrators: "Hey guys, we need you to label some of the B450 boards as B550-A so our customers will buy them, because higher number is better."

Asus: "B450 is super popular. Time to make B450 II."

Honestly except for the lack of built-in Wifi I might have gone for one of the B450 II boards. 2.5 Gbps ethernet has been a bit spotty in terms of driver support.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sean10mm posted:

But... why?

Since B450s are still going to be able to support Zen 3, and since people are still building PCs even before then, probably betting they can still sell some of them parallel to B550s

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Does anyone know enough about ashes to put these results in context? Just browsing their benchmark database, setting to that same 4k/DX12 preset, it looks like there's only two results with a CPU FPS score higher than the 133 in that second screenshot, and both results are from a (Presumably massively overclocked) i9-10980XE chip.

The bench is very memory limited once you have a baseline of CPU grunt, people on reddit have been posting their results and the difference between stock and 4000mhz+ memory with tight timings is massive. There's no way to divine absolute numbers out of those results, especially since the memory config is unknown for the Zen 3 system, but it's looking promising.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Thanks all for the input. Ended up ordering the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi (at MSRP even).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cool, yeah the only reason why I asked for Wifi boards was because I really like the bluetooth radio on these Intel cards and work with my controllers without issues and I'd prefer to use those instead of USB bluetooth dongles.

Ironically enough I ended up running a PCIe wireless card that uses Intel chips for the wifi and Bluetooth. It has in fact been great.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thanks all for the input. Ended up ordering the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi (at MSRP even).

Its a fantastic motherboard, very much up to date with the latest features (Given that it's a refresh of MSI's lovely first attempt of X570) and you get a LOT for the money.

Just be very mindful of the second M2 Slot. If you plan to drop a 2280 in there you have to give up the "frozr" heat sink and move the standoff to where the heatsink standoff is with the drive exposed bare.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Its a fantastic motherboard, very much up to date with the latest features (Given that it's a refresh of MSI's lovely first attempt of X570) and you get a LOT for the money.

Just be very mindful of the second M2 Slot. If you plan to drop a 2280 in there you have to give up the "frozr" heat sink and move the standoff to where the heatsink standoff is with the drive exposed bare.

Huh? Could you explain further, all the pictures I see of the board show the 2nd M.2 slot away from the chipset heatsink.

Edit: OK, I think I understand, but is the heatsink's screw not long enough to catch the standoff?

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 1, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh? Could you explain further, all the pictures I see of the board show the 2nd M.2 slot away from the chipset heatsink.

Edit: OK, I think I understand, but is the heatsink's screw not long enough to catch the standoff?

The board will come with 2 of the small standoff screws for the M2 drives.

See the red spot I circled? That screw is permanently attached to the heatsink (so it sits loose but attached when you remove the heatsink) and that is the same place where you'll have to screw in a 2280 to hold it down. With no further space you can't put the heatsink back you have to discard it back in the box.

Underneath the heatsink to the right of the red circle is another standoff that you will need to remove and place in the location where the red circle is before installing your 2280 or else it will cause your m2 slot to bend into an arch slightly. While they look identical I believe the standoff the heatsink is secured to is not the same height as the M2 standoff concealed underneath. It's an annoyance to have to go through all those steps when right above it you have a turnkey solution.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 1, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

The board will come with 2 of the small standoff screws for the M2 drives.

See the red spot I circled? That screw is permanently attached to the heatsink (so it sits loose but attached when you remove the heatsink) and that is the same place where you'll have to screw in a 2280 to hold it down. With no further space you can't put the heatsink back you have to discard it back in the box.

Underneath the heatsink to the right of the red circle is another standoff that you will need to remove and place in the location where the red circle is before installing your 2280 or else it will cause your m2 slot to bend into an arch slightly. While they look identical I believe the standoff the heatsink is secured to is not the same height as the M2 standoff concealed underneath. It's an annoyance to have to go through all those steps when right above it you have a turnkey solution.

Oh man, you talked about this in the pcbuild thread, but I could never quite understand what was going on. That was enough detail for it to finally click.

You just remove the standoff that's in the 60mm position, put in in the box or your pc screws collection. Then keep the heatspreader's standoff in the 80mm position, and the heatspreader screw itself is your retaining screw for 80mm drives.

I didn't think the standoff that was making the drive "bend" could possibly be an additional one in the 60 or 42 spot, gotta say that shipping the board with that in place was a poor move by MSI. But still, there's a pic in the manual that specifically Xs out installing a drive with a standoff underneath it.

(Don't bother to change it out to put the heatspreader back on until you've got another reason to crack the case, heatsinks/spreaders on NVMe drives don't really matter.)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Klyith posted:

Oh man, you talked about this in the pcbuild thread, but I could never quite understand what was going on. That was enough detail for it to finally click.

You just remove the standoff that's in the 60mm position, put in in the box or your pc screws collection. Then keep the heatspreader's standoff in the 80mm position, and the heatspreader screw itself is your retaining screw for 80mm drives.

I didn't think the standoff that was making the drive "bend" could possibly be an additional one in the 60 or 42 spot, gotta say that shipping the board with that in place was a poor move by MSI. But still, there's a pic in the manual that specifically Xs out installing a drive with a standoff underneath it.

(Don't bother to change it out to put the heatspreader back on until you've got another reason to crack the case, heatsinks/spreaders on NVMe drives don't really matter.)

This is how I understood it after looking at more pictures.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Klyith posted:

Wait so you screw down the heatspreader AND the M2drive together with the same screw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1311533770894462977

A 5900X scoring 652 points in single-threaded, and 9481 points in multi-threaded would be something like a 20% uplift in single-threaded performance, and a 14% uplift in multi-threaded performance relative to a 3900X