Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

As far as I know no, but the armor you get in there can still be found later in game, so not a huge loss.

That bit was cool, the game asks you to do something very evil but very easy in exchange for a huge reward, and if you choose the good path theres absolutely zero way to win that reward. I like that kind of moral choice that actually apes real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

King Bahamut posted:

Is there an alternate way to get past the locked doors in Ranger HQ besides helping that slaver? I tried to see if you could betray her, lie, threaten whatever and not only did that fail she despawned while her guards walked off so I couldn’t even double check the corpse

The only way to get into the second room is to do the very bad thing. But there aren't any unique rewards in there if that's what you are worried about.

e: there's a unique hat I forgot

redpleb posted:

Gary wolfe is ben shapiro and everyone who advocates for indiscriminate killing of synths might as well be talking about white genocide.

I don't think that analogy works at all

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 27, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there a reason when I go into the mechanics yard place I'm forced into combat? I had issues with the neighbour quest where after being attacked by the clones everyone else in the building instantly went into combat with me too

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
If I could give anyone advice about starting this game it would be to not min-max the stats. There are no dialogue options with stat reqs I know of, they solely affect combat, int gives you extra skill points once, and playing with a bunch of speed 1-2 characters is miserable. The exact opposite is then true about skills

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Hey I finally beat it, good game. I really liked it.

The Gippers were fun as hell and well done but I'm 100% down with communist robots so they are all dead

I got some kind of cluster bomb thing on my kodiak at some point that was ridiculous, i blew up Angela Deth and her people in like one attack

Song at the end was bad rear end

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The only way to get into the second room is to do the very bad thing. But there aren't any unique rewards in there if that's what you are worried about.

There's a unique hat.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
Speaking of things you can miss, I backed out of the Gold Scorpitron encounter because I wasn’t prepared. Do I get another shot?

King Bahamut fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 27, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The what!?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is toaster repair worth putting points into? Feels like I've got a bunch of duplicated skills after picking up kwon/lucia but I can't really be bothered fully remaking some characters again

edit: seems I failed heads or tails because I drove to colorado springs not realising that wasn't how I needed to get there? stupid as gently caress lol

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 27, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jose posted:

is toaster repair worth putting points into? Feels like I've got a bunch of duplicated skills after picking up kwon/lucia but I can't really be bothered fully remaking some characters again

Yes. Yes. Oh god yes get toaster repair 10 (with the trinket) on someone. It is 100% worth it.

best armor in the game

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Jose posted:

Not really tbh. The loot is mediocre and the perks mostly focus on boosting fire damage. Plus you can buy in pretty late, at least I started ending up with a lot of extra skill points around level 18 towards the end of the game I was still able to get it up to level 9 and just go back and get the ones I missed.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

especially if you mostly have skill mules back at base for armorsmithing/weaponsmithing you're probably going to have at least someone that can probably pick it up and up it as you go along

and yeah the perks double up as bonuses to fire damage, which is nice if that character already is leaning that way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are there any long term impacts to failing heads or tails because it loving sucks lol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jose posted:

Are there any long term impacts to failing heads or tails because it loving sucks lol

Well there's a bunker you can't get into if all the Hoons are dead (there's a collapsed tower blocking the way). Also some story relevant dialogue, and +rep with the refugees.

Edit: the Hoons also have a two headed goat you can charm/kill.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

It's a super boss fight and if you clear it, you can find a time capsule on the encounter map with a message from inXile to send them a screenshot for some contest.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

itry posted:

Well there's a bunker you can't get into if all the Hoons are dead (there's a collapsed tower blocking the way). Also some story relevant dialogue, and +rep with the refugees.

Edit: the Hoons also have a two headed goat you can charm/kill.

Really poor design you can immediately get onto the world map that fucks you for those quests then. Guess I'll power on then hopefully that bunker doesn't have too much in it

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is there a good character editor? I ran into that bug where if you swap out your original rangers they lose their skills/stats to the point that they have negatives and I don't have a save that goes far back enough to recover my brawler with the precognition perk. :sigh:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There are some Cheat Engine tables you could use to give them their points back.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

itry posted:

There are some Cheat Engine tables you could use to give them their points back.

Thanks, it'll be good to have lil' knucks back to snuff.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is there a good character editor? I ran into that bug where if you swap out your original rangers they lose their skills/stats to the point that they have negatives and I don't have a save that goes far back enough to recover my brawler with the precognition perk. :sigh:

Its way easier to just make another identical dude

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

edit: seems I failed heads or tails because I drove to colorado springs not realising that wasn't how I needed to get there? stupid as gently caress lol

So.... it doesn't look like the last patch nerfed it so there is a way to get "skill point" free toaster repair skill to max. If you save the Bizarre that Mannerite guy will move into your base if you invite him and were respectful. He sells a toaster book. You buy out all his inventory and either zone or reload your saved game before you bought it and his inventory is back with a toaster repair book. Just keep repeating until your skill is maxed.

Is the skill worth it? No quests locked unlike W2. A few extra bits and nothing essential. There is the toaster companion that some people think sounds awful then the best armour in the game. Can you live without these? Sure. But use that inventory trick and then get max toaster. Don't feel bad but do it now before they "fix" it.

As an aside I am still a little salty about the last patch. I might have been ok with it if I still didn't crash to desktop every multiple times a game session. I really love this game but fixing the antique perk "exploit" while I still crash to the desktop multiple times a playsession is bad form. I'm not the only one as they are getting lambasted in user reviews on XBox. Not trying to be a dick... just if I had a game company and released a project I loved (which inXile really do love this game and put in effort) I would make stability the first priority.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Was there any discussion in alpha, beta, etc about why they didn't include a combat log? It's a very baffling decision and one I'm hoping they patch in somehow.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the game totally fucks itself at the last part and i really dont want to fight again the sky dudes and the loving dorcies again, there is a way to disable combat? what buggy game

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

babypolis posted:

Its way easier to just make another identical dude

That doesn't help if you're far enough into the game to earn the special perks that you cannot ever get again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I do hope they do a steeltown dlc or something, I really want to see those domes.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ded posted:

That doesn't help if you're far enough into the game to earn the special perks that you cannot ever get again.

yeah losing those sucks but they are all fairly inconsequential

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
In addition to cheat engine there is also a save editor. I used it to reallocate some skills after encountering a new companion and it's no more difficult than creating a brand new character.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

the game totally fucks itself at the last part and i really dont want to fight again the sky dudes and the loving dorcies again, there is a way to disable combat?

The Jackhammer.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

The Jackhammer.

this right up in here. Small arms seems like the best combat skill, hands down. Between shredding cover (and bodies) with the shotgun, and using handguns with a half-decent crit on everything else. It's my number one damage dealer next to a crit sniper. Melee/brawling seem underwhelming only because by the time my characters sprint over to the enemy, all my ranged guys have half the battlefield empty. Even maxed out melee weapons with mods and max strength didn't hold a candle to either my sniper or pistol/shotgun damage dealers. Of course, the fact that even my most heavily armored guys with max strength could still be dropped in a single enemy combat turn made charging into the thick of it a bad idea. Maybe I should have used more drugs with the melee/berserker types. And if you've got a couple animal companions, now you are kind of stuck fighting fore melee space, especially for enemies in a corner or backed up against objects.

The biggest disappointment was heavy weapons, cause while some of the flamethrower stuff was decent, the big guns burned so much ammo as to be just a rare treat. I was using my rockets more often than my minigun. Even with over 100k in cash by the end, just dealing with the ammo burn was annoying. Automatic weapons was also a bit of a waste, at least if you stuck with rifles. The submachine guns were a surprisingly amazing clutch weapon once you grabbed the perks. And the game had surprisingly few robots/synths to encourage that many plasma weapons.

Beat the game on normal, but I'm going back in after a few patches, might hold out for the inevitable DLC. All in all, a truly badass game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Grapplejack posted:

I do hope they do a steeltown dlc or something, I really want to see those domes.

is that supposed to be steeltown in that SW corner? either way agree want to visit whatever that is

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
anyone got any character creation advice? just wondering if there's any trap picks or particular things to know more than min-max builds etc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Each character should have one combat skill and about 2 non-combat skills. Don't spread yourself too thin.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Horizon Burning posted:

anyone got any character creation advice? just wondering if there's any trap picks or particular things to know more than min-max builds etc.

If you want to break the game :

Int and cha are king, with coordination being #3. Everything else (other than 4 str and pushing it to 6+ later on) is a dump stat.

With good crit from your INT and your specials charging fast from your CHA you can murder a cone of people nearly every time it's your turn to shoot a shotgun or smg.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What strength do you need for reasonable guns and armor? Is 4 enough to use everything but miniguns or whatever, for example?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

What strength do you need for reasonable guns and armor? Is 4 enough to use everything but miniguns or whatever, for example?

Take three frontliners to 8 by level 20 or so, one more to whatever chemtek needs (you’ll find it early), can dump on the other two. You will probably want them at 4-5 just for the HP though, and you’ll absolutely get enough ability points over the course of the game

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I ignored strength on all my dudes as per some build guides and now no one can wear armor and everyone's health is like 100 versus enemies with 250 hp each.

It was a mistake.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I'm on my second playthrough and I have to say, this game is a lot more fun with Cheat Engine shitloads of cash.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I just realized the prostitute's bonuses all stack. For $60 you can get each Ranger: +5% Bonus experience, +25% Hit Chance, +25% Critical strike chance, +1 AP / AP max, +4 Penetration and +15% Evasion. And it lasts for 20 minutes. Once I realized this I also realized the game needed an "orgy" option to get it all at once instead of taking each ranger through individually.

My team of JERKS will SUCK and gently caress their way across Colorado and no one will be able to stop them.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 29, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
holy hell angela plans is loving insane, reloading a previous save to stop the goddamn bloodbath on my loving base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Did anyone ever figure out why some weapons double their damage if you use them for long enough? My Red Dragon sniper is doing twice the damage its supposed to do and I'm too scared to change it to the next tier in case I actually lose damage.