Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of, what do you guys think of Reinforce actions? They weren't accessible to me when I fell out of 1e. Good use of an action? Good on 1 AGI ships only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SuperKlaus posted:

Speaking of, what do you guys think of Reinforce actions? They weren't accessible to me when I fell out of 1e. Good use of an action? Good on 1 AGI ships only?

Second edition reinforce (reduce damage by 1 after all other calculations, minimum 1) is much, much weaker than first edition (add an evade, minimum 0 damage)

It's a situational action--you take it when it's advantageous to do so. Generally you see the action itself available on 0 or 1 agility ships, and they take that action when you expect that ship to take multiple attacks from the same general direction. However, in many cases, it's better to just focus or target lock to ensure you deal damage on the return fire. You'll take more damage, but you'll DEAL damage in return. This is a game where the best defense is often a good offense.

Where reinforce really shines--like so many things--is when a ship has a way to reinforce and still mod its attack dice. If a ship can do that, it almost always should reinforce. Something like a Decimator with 5th Brother Gunner (especially if it's Rear Admiral Chiraneau) should reinforce almost any time it can do so, safe in the knowledge that it's very likely to have a solid attack also.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It tends to take too many cards/points to really be worth it, but a slow ship + reinforce + scum lando is very rude.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lichtenstein posted:

It tends to take too many cards/points to really be worth it, but a slow ship + reinforce + scum lando is very rude.

The Trandoshan Slaver is only 51 points now, 59 with Lando. That's probably worth it on its own. It was pretty close to worth it before the last update, where it dropped several points.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was tickled to see Angled Deflectors as a mod because you know "angle the deflector shields" from The Movies but with a -1 shield penalty it looks pretty bad. I'd try it on a Y or B wing I guess.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SuperKlaus posted:

I was tickled to see Angled Deflectors as a mod because you know "angle the deflector shields" from The Movies but with a -1 shield penalty it looks pretty bad. I'd try it on a Y or B wing I guess.

Oh, we thought you were talking about ships that have reinforce built in, like the Ghost or Decimator or Lambda shuttle.

Angled Deflectors is not great. To be worth its points on a B-Wing or Y-Wing it has to save you more than 2hp.

Look at it this way:
With no upgrades, the basic B-Wing is 41 points and cannot reinforce. It has 8hp.
With a shield upgrade it's now 45 points, cannot reinforce, and has 9hp.
With Angled Deflectors, it's 47 points, can reinforce, and has 7hp.

If reinforce only saves you 2 hits, it was less efficient than the shield upgrade version. It has to save you 3 to come ahead. That's a pretty tall order. Possible, yes, but not probable.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, and there's the cost of taking the action, as you said. I appreciate it; my question was about the action where it's innate to ships and where it's on that mod. I may yet buy something that can innately do it.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

I've had some success using the Angle deflectors on T-70's. Especially Red Ace and Poe. Who can get mods other ways or have Heroic to help offense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

soulfulspinster posted:

I've had some success using the Angle deflectors on T-70's. Especially Red Ace and Poe. Who can get mods other ways or have Heroic to help offense.

Angled Deflectors is not something I ever considered with Poe, but it might help that problem he has where he spends more of his time dodging than shooting and doesn't earn back his points. Maybe.

Although I have a feeling that OverDrive Thrusters are going to be stapled to his mod slot if they're even remotely affordable, once they come out. The ability to do a speed 2 barrel roll at i6 is stupid powerful. First edition TIE Phantoms decloaked with a speed 2 template at initiative and it got nerfed to hell because of how good it was at dodging arcs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Can we all agree that new Poe's ability is a pretty poo poo co-ordinate?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can we all agree that new Poe's ability is a pretty poo poo co-ordinate?

Eh, I've come around a bit on it. Turns out a free coordinate (or extra action for yourself) is good, especially at I6. It's going to make Poe weaker on his own but stronger in a group, which I'm 100% down for. I mean, god drat, just the ability to give Rey a boost at i6 alone is gonna be baller.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

When a Discord Missile is launched and the Buzz Droid Swarm token immediately overlaps an enemy ship, does it trigger immediately?

There is a similar ruling with Proximity Mine, but they didn't really generalize that ruling ..

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

polynominal-c posted:

When a Discord Missile is launched and the Buzz Droid Swarm token immediately overlaps an enemy ship, does it trigger immediately?

There is a similar ruling with Proximity Mine, but they didn't really generalize that ruling ..

It attaches immediately, and does damage at initiative 0 as usual.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
I'm pretty sure the Buzz Droids will be placed at the end of the template as normal, under the ship. Since it is at range zero, it will do damage as normal at initiative zero. The Buzz Droids don't relocate until a maneuver template is placed overlapping them.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Derlix posted:

I'm pretty sure the Buzz Droids will be placed at the end of the template as normal, under the ship. Since it is at range zero, it will do damage as normal at initiative zero. The Buzz Droids don't relocate until a maneuver template is placed overlapping them.

This made me wonder if I've been playing wrong for almost a year now so I checked the RRG. It uses the same language ("overlaps or moves through") for both proximity/cluster mine detonations and buzz droid relocations so I think the relocation happens immediately.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard

Napoleon Nelson posted:

This made me wonder if I've been playing wrong for almost a year now so I checked the RRG. It uses the same language ("overlaps or moves through") for both proximity/cluster mine detonations and buzz droid relocations so I think the relocation happens immediately.

Well shoot, so it does! I guess I'm the one who's been playing it wrong! Thanks for the correction.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
My kids are old enough now that playing with them is feasible now. I last played a bit of xwing in the first edition, and I've got a fairly limited set of ships, with more imperial ships overall:

4 x TI/LN
2 x TI/FO
3 x TI/Int
1 x TI/D
1 x Decimator

4 x XWing
1 x AWing
1 x BWing
1 x Falcon

I got the 2nd edition set and the rebel/empire adaption kits, and I'm trying to see what would make sense to fill out the sets. I'm considering getting a Tie Bomber and Ywing to add bombs/ordinance to the mix. The bomber is cheap on amazon, the Ywings less so. The bomber's also a 1st edition, and while I can convert, I don't know if the rules changed enough that my conversion kit wouldn't be helpful. I could also get a Tie/Advanced, I guess, for Vader. I'm not sure what else to add to the rebels, since I've never actually used the A-wing and B-wing, and outside of that everything on the rebel side comes from weird stuff I haven't watched and don't know the roles for. Given the role, I'm guessing another A-wing would be good for using them, since they're sort of a speedster sort of ship. Any ideas?

Velius fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 5, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Conversion kits absolutely cover the TIE bombers. Nothing in the conversion kits is "outdated" in any way.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you don't mind the scum paint job the Most Wanted kit will get you a Y-wing + 2 Z95 headhunters that'll work fine for Rebels. If you think you might want to expand to resistance or republic ships someday you might consider picking up the resistance RZ-2 A-wing or Republic BTL-B Y-wing instead of their rebel counter-parts - they'll work fine as proxy models (though not tournament legal) and then you'll have the cards for the resistance/rebel pilots and upgrades. Same with the republic ARC-170, though that's actually tournament legal.

On the Empire side, there's also the Lambda shuttle is relatively cheap for a large ship[/url] and adds a less-mobile support ship that you can fill with crew. The Tie Reaper (from the Rogue One movie, along with the TIE Striker) is also a support ship and comes with 2.0 cards, but is more mobile because is required to do a free boost before it's movement. That might make it a bit too much for younger kids, though - it's tough to fly even for veterans.

E: The U-Wing is rebel support (also from Rogue One) and pretty cheap right now. The Saw's Renegade's pack would get you more pilots but it's quite a bit more expensive most places that it's in stock (though Miniature Market is decent).

EE: I'd probably get whatever the kids are into. You could even combine factions if you don't have enough republic/resistance/whatever ships.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 5, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Stickman posted:

If you don't mind the scum paint job the Most Wanted kit will get you a Y-wing + 2 Z95 headhunters that'll work fine for Rebels. If you think you might want to expand to resistance or republic ships someday you might consider picking up the resistance RZ-2 A-wing or Republic BTL-B Y-wing instead of their rebel counter-parts - they'll work fine as proxy models (though not tournament legal) and then you'll have the cards for the resistance/rebel pilots and upgrades. Same with the republic ARC-170, though that's actually tournament legal.

On the Empire side, there's also the Lambda shuttle is relatively cheap for a large ship[/url] and adds a less-mobile support ship that you can fill with crew. The Tie Reaper (from the Rogue One movie, along with the TIE Striker) is also a support ship and comes with 2.0 cards, but is more mobile because is required to do a free boost before it's movement. That might make it a bit too much for younger kids, though - it's tough to fly even for veterans.

E: The U-Wing is rebel support (also from Rogue One) and pretty cheap right now. The Saw's Renegade's pack would get you more pilots but it's quite a bit more expensive most places that it's in stock (though Miniature Market is decent).

EE: I'd probably get whatever the kids are into. You could even combine factions if you don't have enough republic/resistance/whatever ships.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give it a bit more plays before we start thinking about more ships beyond the Bomber and Y-wing. We watched Empire again last night for the first time in a couple years, and we'll watch Jedi sometime soon, so that may make things fun. It's too bad Armada is apparently dead, but maybe the new Xwing game will rejuvenate things, because big ships are cool too.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Velius posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give it a bit more plays before we start thinking about more ships beyond the Bomber and Y-wing. We watched Empire again last night for the first time in a couple years, and we'll watch Jedi sometime soon, so that may make things fun. It's too bad Armada is apparently dead, but maybe the new Xwing game will rejuvenate things, because big ships are cool too.

Armada is hopefully emerging from hibernation with the Clone Wars releases in December!
Republic fleet starter
Separatist fleet starter

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Armada is also a Good Game, that's a lot of fun

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Signal posted:

Armada is also a Good Game, that's a lot of fun

I think it’s super boring.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

This game lets you fly around as Series Hero Luke Skywalker and Extended Universe Hero, X-Wing Jesus himself Wedge Antillies. Armada i guess lets you play as Admiral Ackbar for the memes?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

This game lets you fly around as Series Hero Luke Skywalker and Extended Universe Hero, X-Wing Jesus himself Wedge Antillies. Armada i guess lets you play as Admiral Ackbar for the memes?

There is a definite appeal to the idea of driving a Space Triangle around and standing imperiously on the bridge of your Star Destroyer and intensifying forward firepower.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Armada was the game I was a lot more excited about, but it's fiddly and unintuitive. The models are super neat, though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Armada is super fun. It's like playing the battle of endor on your kitchen table. Theres nothing really meme-y about it. You can still play with luke and wedge in Armada if you want.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Eta 2 preview is up

Likning the bro-bots esque synergy of Anakin and Obi

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 7, 2020

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yoda flew a fighter plane? And is it me or is there something wrong looking compared to the others about his ship?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yoda had his own smaller version of the ETA2 in the cartoon

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I wonder if they made the onion ring in such aa way one could actually slot a Delta into it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Yoda flew a fighter plane? And is it me or is there something wrong looking compared to the others about his ship?

An ETA-2 he flew and as cute as a button it was.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
FFG missing a chance to print an entirely different model and include a Yaddle pilot card huh smh

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

SuperKlaus posted:

FFG missing a chance to print an entirely different model and include a Yaddle pilot card huh smh

Worlds Exclusive Model.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm actually pretty stoked for this new toy. It looks like an Interceptor on meth if it's a highly maneuverable ship with "power surge" options from its Force-user pilots. I love "burst of power" options in games. And it's one of the best looking prequel ships IMO.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm actually pretty stoked for this new toy. It looks like an Interceptor on meth if it's a highly maneuverable ship with "power surge" options from its Force-user pilots. I love "burst of power" options in games. And it's one of the best looking prequel ships IMO.

If there's one thing the prequels definitely did correctly, it was design. The Eta is so obviously the TIE ancestor, right down to the avionics.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Vwing preview up
I lile click and tarkin's pilot ability snd there are a bunch of upgrades for imperials/FO.

Like that precision one on Kylo?

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 15, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It wouldn't be good, exactly, but every other round with a named Reaper + ion limiter override would be glorious.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tri-fighter article is up

drat, this look pretty cool

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tri-fighter article is up