Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

So in other words I can keep my hazard blinkers on and cruise down the freeway like Moses parting the Red Sea!

Seriously though, my dad was a firefighter for 35 years, and the amount of times he was almost run over is astonishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Seriously though, my dad was a firefighter for 35 years, and the amount of times he was almost run over is astonishing.

I would rather be held at knifepoint than do a call on the side of the highway. I did one for an overturned tractor trailer while it was snowing heavily and people were still zipping by at 80 even though they could see a plainly upside down 18 wheeler facing the wrong way surrounded by emergency vehicles. It was loving terrifying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the Bronx what we do is hope to be behind the emergency vehicle so you can race in their wake while all the pulled-over suckers desperately search for an opening to pull back into traffic.

Peeve: people who think “loving their pets” means treating them like people. No. They are precious but they aren’t people. They are happier and healthier when you treat them like what they are. Dog, cat, snake, whatever. Learn what they need. Learn breed specific quirks. Stop assuming common healthy pet keeping strategies are going against what they “want.” Truth is your dog likes learning and being disciplined. Your snake prefers free frozen rat to life-or-death struggle for every meal.

Peeve 2: strangers talking to me while I’m wearing large obvious noise-canceling headphones, unless it’s like “omfg look out for that detailed train heading for you!”

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Sep 24, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the snake thing, I thought that live prey was important due to it's movement aiding peristalsis and digestion, or is that a myth?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's not really a pet peeve because I've never experienced it and only recently heard of a single family doing it, but this seems like the best place to post.

My sister's boyfriend's family has probably the most horrible birthday tradition I've ever heard of. After singing Happy Birthday, they start chanting "ARE YOU ONE? ARE YOU TWO?..." The birthday boy/girl has to stop them when they reach their age. He's in his thirties, and they still do this :gonk:

And one of his parents has twelve siblings who inflict this on each other :gonk: :gonk:

He asked my dad for permission to marry her. I think inviting this into our family is grounds enough for my sister to break up with him. We have to nip this in the bud before it spreads. This is how gender reveal parties started.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

CJacobs posted:

it also requires you to get into the opposite lane for pedestrian vehicles on the shoulder.

what, like shoes?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr Christmas posted:

It's not really a pet peeve because I've never experienced it and only recently heard of a single family doing it, but this seems like the best place to post.

My sister's boyfriend's family has probably the most horrible birthday tradition I've ever heard of. After singing Happy Birthday, they start chanting "ARE YOU ONE? ARE YOU TWO?..." The birthday boy/girl has to stop them when they reach their age. He's in his thirties, and they still do this :gonk:

That's because most people would have murdered their families for this.

Hell, I was 22 when I finally convinced my parents that we don't need to set up the camera and film my brother and I walking out on Christmas morning and seeing what "Santa" brought us. Despite being 39 now, and having no children, I can't convince my mom to just cancel Christmas morning, although the plague may finally do that this year.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

That's because most people would have murdered their families for this.

Hell, I was 22 when I finally convinced my parents that we don't need to set up the camera and film my brother and I walking out on Christmas morning and seeing what "Santa" brought us. Despite being 39 now, and having no children, I can't convince my mom to just cancel Christmas morning, although the plague may finally do that this year.

My sister was in her late teens or early twenties before my mother finally and gently told her we weren't doing "stockings from Santa" anymore. I think partly because the tradition had evolved as we got older to include us kids putting together stockings for our parents, and they were running out of places to put the piles of useless crap my sisters would choose.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I mentioned his age not just because his family has a childish, cringey tradition, it’s that they make each other sit through that chant until they reach thirty, or much higher for his other relatives.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I haven't attended a family gift exchange for a birthday or Christmas in like fifteen years and everyone still acts surprised every single year. Like... just fuckin' tell me you think I'm an rear end in a top hat instead of acting surprised over and over. We're all capable of pattern recognition.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: people who think “loving their pets” means treating them like people. No. They are precious but they aren’t people. They are happier and healthier when you treat them like what they are. Dog, cat, snake, whatever. Learn what they need. Learn breed specific quirks. Stop assuming common healthy pet keeping strategies are going against what they “want.” Truth is your dog likes learning and being disciplined. Your snake prefers free frozen rat to life-or-death struggle for every meal.

"Heehee, look how happy Rover is! He's smiling!!"

*dog is visibly panting, ears pressed back, constantly licking its lips*

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who say "POTUS". just call him the president

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Get rid of wonks in general. Also people who say “45” because they refuse to say Trump’s name or call him the president. Get over yourselves.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Shibawanko posted:

What is your view on SCOTUS?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dysgenesis posted:

What is your view on SCOTUS?

i immediately parse it as scrotum

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FLOTUS has always made me think of poop

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

All audio on everything should be normalized to a certain volume.
God I loving hate going from something that's vaguely low to playing some webm/mp4 somewhere, and it drat near blows my ears out because it's as loud as humanly loving possible.

I've started using an extension that lets me boost the volume of certain tabs to boost up some websites and content I know tend to be on the lower side, but it's so loving annoying.
(This especially applies to ads and inserts that are way louder than the content around them. Like those auto-inserted ads in some podcasts.
Some podcasts even have this issue with stuff like music they play in them, No Such Thing as a Fish had an issue in earlier years that the intro/outro got played in each cut in the episode, and was notably louder than the podcast content itself. )

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Ugh, yes. I've been binging my way through TV shows lately and have to keep turning the volume up or down depending on whether there's dialogue or any other noises (especially if it's a show with a lot of gunfire/explosions). I did have a TV once that had a feature that was supposed to balance the volume disparity a bit but as far as I can remember it didn't work very well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

HOLY gently caress posted:

Ugh, yes. I've been binging my way through TV shows lately and have to keep turning the volume up or down depending on whether there's dialogue or any other noises (especially if it's a show with a lot of gunfire/explosions). I did have a TV once that had a feature that was supposed to balance the volume disparity a bit but as far as I can remember it didn't work very well.

That's a different kind of normalization than the one I was complaining about, but yes absolutely.
Atleast it's started getting more common in games to have an option to tweak that normalization/compression a bit more.

I've seen some vague references to it being that a lot of things are mixed for 5.1 where dialogue comes from the center channel. But then in 2.0 and 2.1 systems that leads to dialogue-volume issues unless that's corrected for.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh whoops, I see what you mean! Thank you for the explanation, I don't know a lot about audio stuff :unsmith:

A peeve of mine that hasn't been happening since quarantine but I still think about frequently:

I hate it when you go to someone's house and they have so many potential hand towels in the bathroom that you cannot tell which one you're actually supposed to use. If they have embroidered ones and plain ones then yeah, you don't use the one with a loving snowman sewn into it or whatever but there times when I've just picked one at random because there are like 5 fancy snowmen towels on the towel rail and they all look unusable. Sometimes people have a folded hand towel pointedly set by the basin which I appreciate.

like i know it's such a loving stupid thing to be annoyed about but ugh :saddowns:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

All audio on everything should be normalized to a certain volume.
I have loudness equalisation turned on at all times.

HOLY gently caress posted:

I hate it when you go to someone's house and they have so many potential hand towels in the bathroom that you cannot tell which one you're actually supposed to use.
Worse and (in my experience) far more frequent is where they don't have a towel there at all, or only have full-sized towels that may be for hands or might just be their regular towels they use when they shower. I don't know how you invite people to your house and don't put out a fresh hand towel in the bathroom - and make sure there's soap there. So many times I've gone to wash my hands and found neither soap nor a towel because apparently everyone who lives there normally washes their hands in the laundry and they just expected their guests to magically know that and where it is. The door will not be left open and will look exactly like the doors to other rooms you don't want to just barge into (eg. bedrooms).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My shorts have pockets on them that catch the knobs of my lower kitchen cupboards and yank the doors open when I step away. Every time I use the sink or counter, this happens. The whole time I'm cooking dinner or washing dishes. And of course I don't remember this until it starts happening, I've gotten to the point where I've stopped prepping food and literally changed my pants. It's absurd.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I got tired of destroying pants/shirts and ended up removing all of the knobs and filling the screw holes with wood filler. I have some cup style drawer pulls I was going to put on, but the drawers work well enough with no handle at all.

Related: door levers that are the exact right height and shape to go through my belt loops as I walk past.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
When you need some garlic, and find out that the bulb is made up of loads of puny cloves rather than half a dozen big ones, so you have to spend loads more time peeling.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

When you need some garlic, and find out that the bulb is made up of loads of puny cloves rather than half a dozen big ones, so you have to spend loads more time peeling.

Holy poo poo this, especially when you grab that one big clove and it just dissolves into like seven little tooth-sized fuckers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Holy poo poo this, especially when you grab that one big clove and it just dissolves into like seven little tooth-sized fuckers

Just chop 'em all, you can never have too much garlic

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Teachers who say "No one ever gets every single question correct on this. If you do, I will assume you got the answers ahead of time, so you get no points." What a poo poo attitude. The students have all of the resources needed to answer every question correctly and no restrictions on using those resources. They can take the time to review their work and check it against the book before grading it. But if they get a well-earned 100 percent, it automatically becomes a zero? Bullshit.

Related: Teachers (especially in the arts) who never give perfect scores (regardless of performance) because "there's always room for improvement". :jerkbag:

Brawnfire posted:

Evocative! :gonk:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I have loudness equalisation turned on at all times.

Yeah, ditto.
It's more been an issue on my tablet and phone. Especially since it took a while for me to discover youtube vanced and get around the utterly obscene amount of ads youtube tries to push on users.
I don't understand how anyone could even use youtube normally when it tries to shove in an ad every 3-5 min.
(Youtube Vanced is a modified youtube app that makes it ad free, lets you turn off those channel badges on videos, and allows for background and screen-off playback. So I guess better than youtube premium/red/whatever.)

I had Viper4Android to add some audio compression on my last tablet, I'll probably do so again the next time I get annoyed about something super loud in a podcast again.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Just chop 'em all, you can never have too much garlic

It's the peeling, man, the peeling. The more you peel, the more sticky your fingers get with garlic juice, the harder it is to get all the skin off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's the peeling, man, the peeling. The more you peel, the more sticky your fingers get with garlic juice, the harder it is to get all the skin off.

Get yourself a silicone garlic peeler.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I started buying jugs of pre-peeled garlic cloves. I'm sure I've getting gouged on the price per pound but WORTH IT. I can never go back. I just open the jar, grab a handful, and chop 'em up.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The guy from Tangled surrounded by swords flooding twitter. I don't give a poo poo what your "hot take" opinion on food/games/movies/tv shows/type of mancala marbles is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fartington Butts posted:

The guy from Tangled surrounded by swords flooding twitter. I don't give a poo poo what your "hot take" opinion on food/games/movies/tv shows/type of mancala marbles is.

This is a pretty hot take.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In the vein of loudness, my phone connects to my car stereo just from an AUX cable, no Bluetooth.

There are times where I have my car and phone audio at max, and if I'm at highway speeds, I can barely hear, depending on what I'm listening to.

I ASSUME this is because the phone thinks I'm using headphones and has some sort of built in ear-protection? Idk, it's like this in both my cars, both just use AUX cord cause they're old and I don't want to bother to replace them with after market bluetooth capable stereos.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There's no need to peel garlic because the peely part dissolves after cooking for a couple of minutes. Just mash it hard with the side of your knife and throw it in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hirayuki posted:

Related: Teachers (especially in the arts) who never give perfect scores (regardless of performance) because "there's always room for improvement". :jerkbag:
This applies to every other situation where there's any kind of rating scale. I used to work for a market research company and the people who say "I never give 10s because there's always room for improvement" and then when you follow up with "what could they have done better?" they say "Nothing." :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

This applies to every other situation where there's any kind of rating scale. I used to work for a market research company and the people who say "I never give 10s because there's always room for improvement" and then when you follow up with "what could they have done better?" they say "Nothing." :argh:

"I'm willing to bet though, if anyone can figure out how to make it better? It's you guys."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

this happens a lot in holland, the scale goes from 1 to 10 and 10 is treated as "theoretical perfection" and hardly given out. the only 10 i ever got was from a british professor who had recently immigrated and was new to the system

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

There's no need to peel garlic because the peely part dissolves after cooking for a couple of minutes. Just mash it hard with the side of your knife and throw it in.

I feel like this can't POSSIBLY be true because if it were then I would know it, and it would mean all my favourite chefs have been lying to me for my entire life :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

this happens a lot in holland, the scale goes from 1 to 10 and 10 is treated as "theoretical perfection" and hardly given out. the only 10 i ever got was from a british professor who had recently immigrated and was new to the system

In the US, lots of companies use the opposite system and anything less than perfect is a failure.

And lots of morons don’t know this so reviews will be like “awesome! Great food, great service, babysat my kids for the complimentary handjob. Parking lot was crowded though. 3/5.”