Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Oh gently caress here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SpitztheGreat posted:

So just tuning in. How do we think it has gone? Has Biden avoided disaster?

He's extremely Bideny while Trump is basically an uncontrollable shithead whose performance is going to win zero undecided voters.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The suburbs line was probably his best performance in the debate so far.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
say you support BLM you dumb gently caress jesus

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
:doink:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Baronash posted:

A debate can't work if someone isn't willing to listen to the moderator. If you have a debater who intends to win the debate by ignoring the rules, there really isn't much you can do unless you are willing to end the debate.

Basically this. When Chris Wallace said he was going to be invisible during this debate he basically handed it to Trump. Trump either doesn't care about or understand how a debate is supposed to work (probably both), which means that someone who has 50 years of exposure to American political debating as was historically done is going to get steamrolled.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Biden is going to eke out a win in polls in the next few days. Period. It doesn't matter what ideologues here say because only a small fraction of voters are gettable right now and none of them are close to "D&D posters." They are overly polite suburbanites and midwesterners. They are older people who wait to decide because they think it makes them look intelligent.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Sydin posted:

I think she would have done better than Biden yeah, but that's not so much "clearing the bar" as it is "stepping over the bar laying on the ground without tripping."

Fair enough

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the takeaway line will be "will you please shut up" and the ratings will be nobody watched it because everyone shut it off after a few minutes. I doubt it will move the needle at all.
Again, I feel like you have to massively gently caress up to take damage from a presidential debate and the standards for what qualifies as a fuckup have vanished.

Hillary did well in pretty much all of her debates and it didn't really change much either way. Didn't hurt, didn't help. The rest was all campaigning and turnout.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

SpitztheGreat posted:

The world is hosed. Trump will not shut up. Add in a dash of antifreeze to your whiskey sour. Or maybe chug it straight from the bottle.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mistaya posted:

I'm just imagining Bernie up there and sobbing silently inside.

Bernie couldn't land a kill shot on Biden. He'd get just as swapped and sputtering as Biden is.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
More money for cops woo

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Biden does not support BLM, not a surprise

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mistaya posted:

I'm just imagining Bernie up there and sobbing silently inside.

I hope bernie is loving wasted wherever he is so he doesn't have to watch this

but you know he is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Did somebody on Trump's idiot team seriously tell him that Joe Biden was some kind of unsealie fae who couldn't say the phrases "law enforcement" or "law and order" or he would vanish into the aether?

Remember during 2008-2016 where Republicans were seemingly convinced that Barack Obama would screech and sink into the floor if he was forced to utter the magic words,"Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorism"?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

opposed to defunding the police? gently caress you Joe

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Xarthor posted:

Trump is going to get all the headlines for the next few days/weeks. The media will chop up the whole debate into :05 segments of Trump’s best loud/yelling/ lines and zingers. Sleepy Joe will get :02 before they go back to Trump’s sick burns because the sick burns get eyeballs and ratings. Same thing that happened during the Hillary debates.

What do you think the last 4 years of news has been.

I legitimately don't know who you think is getting on the Trump train from this who wasn't already.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

People who think Trump is somehow "winning": do you really think persuadable voters are going to be receptive to what he's doing?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
lol this debate sucks

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Both these guys suck.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
"gentlemen can I have my debate back pls"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

human garbage bag posted:

Ouch flooding the suburbs that's gonna be used in an ad.

What? He meant that the suburbs are literally flooding. Like, with water.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Biden just taking every loving bait to talk about how much he loves cops

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/samthielman/status/1311116991739162625?s=20

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Biden is gonna lose this election

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Wow Trump looking bad there. Biden made some legitimately great points and addressed Republican fears and Trump just says NUH UUUUH.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Suburb line was good.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lol @ everyone in the politics thread earlier today thinking Biden was going to crush Trump. We've known for a week now that Trump wasn't planning on debating, and was only going to attack. This was 100% to be expected.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

He's extremely Bideny while Trump is basically an uncontrollable shithead whose performance is going to win zero undecided voters.

I don't think this is going to sway undecided's either way

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to this while I made dinner and it's just the most insane bullshit. Biden is giving a mediocre performance but he is coming off much better than Trump. I wasn't planning on drinking but I just started getting so god damned angry I started downing scotch after the first ten minutes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Taffer posted:

Biden just taking every loving bait to talk about how much he loves cops

yeeeeep

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?
Trump legitimately calling out Biden on law enforcement support, and Biden's got nothing in response at all.

gently caress the police at all, but Biden's not even trying to push back on any of it. He's literally got nothing substantial to say at all.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hell, the best thing Biden can do is try to anticipate Trump's claims, know the facts so that as soon as Trump lies about something he can just jump in and say "Stop lying to the American people, rear end in a top hat." Over and over.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Suburb line was good.

This was the only good thing he said all night

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Zero_Grade posted:

Not the worst segment by Biden.
...aaaaand back to incoherent garbage

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol I hate Biden's answer here but it's probably his best answer in terms of getting elected, gently caress me

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I know Trump thinks he's killing it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
biden understanding he just has to shoot off a name, who cares who it is

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So what should I take away from the debates so far, because to me, it looks like while Trump is constantly interrupting Biden, Biden has been playing it cool, and laughing at some of Trump's bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Biden is rocking this and keeps spitting out lines that are going to get repeated over and over. Every time he talks straight to the camera he wins more voters.