Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

I think some Hollywood executives really dramatically miscalculated how many people wanted multiple Star Wars spin-off movies.

Rogue One & Solo showed me that I am not the Star Wars fan I thought I was. I love the nontology, as an idea and a fun sorry, and played a lot of the video games and really love the franchise, but both of those movies looked like total dogshit to me and all indications are that they are both super dumb and superfluous cash grabs and I’ve seen nothing since they came out to redress that opinion.

the idea behind rogue one wasn't bad but everyone's kinda given up on making good movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

I dont think you quite remember how that went down because the big thing that happened with that movie wasnt a controversy around its banning in North Korea but the alleged North Korea hack of sony servers with the hackers threatening sony if they released it to theaters. In retrospect probably either a disgruntled ex-employee loving with them or a marketing stunt gone very very wrong since theaters did actually refuse to carry the movie and they had to release it on Netflix.

I mean nobody with a functioning brain bought that North Korea was the hackers.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hence why I said soft power. Still, people did wanna nuke NK for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kunster posted:

Hence why I said soft power. Still, racist gamer shitheads did wanna nuke NK for it.

FTFY

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, this was a bit more generalized and several people had their own personal way of affecting the country over it, including Romney and Jason Alexander.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

This was such an obvious crap marketing ploy on Sony's part. "Look how controversial this movie is, it's banned in North Korea!" Well of loving course it's going to be banned, you made a movie specifically designed to be banned and hence drum up controversy.

Why not just make a slapstick comedy about the King of Thailand or Queen Elizabeth with them constantly wiping out, falling down into mud and poo poo like a goddamn Three Stooges. "Wow, this movie's banned, isn't that crazy?? Other countries are so repressive, yenno?"

Rich people not ostracised from the world economy might sue you.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

miniscule12 posted:

That's what people thought about rogue one and it wasn't the case.

People have said this about every piece of garbage that hollywood shits out ever since the WoW movie made a gazillion dollars in China for some reason

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Say what you want about Rogue One, it didn't look bad. Gareth Edwards and his cinematographer know how to make pretty pictures.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like a billion dollars in China is a bad opening

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

josh04 posted:

Rich people not ostracised from the world economy might sue you.
Exactly. The movie would be banned, or worse, but a thinking person wouldn’t even attempt it because the end result is so obvious. I also feel like the King of Thailand could throw down, so he’s definitely not one to gently caress with. So why would you, is the question

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Posting the photo that makes the king of thailand look like a street fighting badass carries a three to fifteen sentence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Say what you want about Rogue One, it didn't look bad. Gareth Edwards and his cinematographer know how to make pretty pictures.
It’s still the best of the new SW films

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean nobody with a functioning brain bought that North Korea was the hackers.

Ignoring all evidence and being a contrarian because your gut tells you to is the opposite of having a functioning brain, actually.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Ignoring all evidence and being a contrarian because your gut tells you to is the opposite of having a functioning brain, actually.

lol

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure they've expressed the idea before that Republicans want to win while Democrats just want to play the game right, but I really enjoyed the way they get into it in the latest ep. They involve both the character of the individuals, and the material incentives, and neither one alone would be a good enough analysis.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yup, they put it in a succint and scary way. Conservatives want power, and if grabibng power pisses off the people they hate, even better.

Liberals want to get a gold star for good behavior, and hey, if they lose because the other guy is a cheating bully, they come across as looking EXTRA noble! And since they don't experience actual consequences for losing, it's a self-perpetuating cycle.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Setting the bar so low that an Australian just fell over it and dropped all his tinnies. Lol what an idiot. Oh drat he's just saying the n-word over and over. I hope you're happy

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

People have said this about every piece of garbage that hollywood shits out ever since the WoW movie made a gazillion dollars in China for some reason

Looking it up, WOW failed miserably in america but made all it's money in china.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11988990/warcraft-highest-grossing-video-game-movie

Rogue one

was the opposite, did extremely well in the west, bombed in china

https://www.businessinsider.com/sta...n%20in%20China.

mulan is a disaster in america, and we shall see how well it will do in china

THS
Sep 15, 2017

also the idea that the worse the democrats gently caress up, the higher the stakes become, and that means you have to vote for them even harder because they’ve raised the stakes by repeatedly loving up rings very true

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sephyr posted:

Yup, they put it in a succint and scary way. Conservatives want power, and if grabibng power pisses off the people they hate, even better.

Liberals want to get a gold star for good behavior, and hey, if they lose because the other guy is a cheating bully, they come across as looking EXTRA noble! And since they don't experience actual consequences for losing, it's a self-perpetuating cycle.

The dems are the kids in class who tells teacher that they forgot to assign homework on Friday. There’s a reason people hate them.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
watching matt's latest stream where he's talking for what feels like the hundredth time about how voting is just an idiosyncratic, personal choice that doesn't matter that much

which is true. but i'm surprised he never seems to talk about the larger issue, which is that contributing time, effort, and money to campaigns is probably more effective than voting, especially if you're already in a solid blue state. and beyond voting, are the biden people suggesting that committed bernie voters should be making calls or knocking doors for biden? contributing money to him? trying to persuade undecided voters? how far is the left supposed to go to support a candidate that offers them nothing to fend off the monsters that he absolutely will not protect them from

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitch.tv/chapotraphouse

here is the twitch stream for the debates, CNN is loving the audio up already. Debate is starting now 9 PM EST

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
five minutes in and matt's already yelling in frustration at being told by the chat to turn the volume down on his tv

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol this is their full time job and no one involved can be assed to test how the streams will work out beforehand

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
brain genius virgil doing a very funny bit where he coughs loudly into a microphone and then says "hey, can anyone hear me???" then doesn't cough again at all afterwards

also matt looks like he's genuinely in agony lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Biden: I AM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY RIGHT NOW

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

terrorist ambulance posted:

brain genius virgil doing a very funny bit where he coughs loudly into a microphone and then says "hey, can anyone hear me???" then doesn't cough again at all afterwards

also matt looks like he's genuinely in agony lol

if chris gets to a max malarkey level, matt's going to have a stroke

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

One woman explained it to me like “it’s like if you made a movie about Washington chopping down the Cherry Tree and a genie comes out and grants him 3 wishes.”

I'd watch this movie.

bust rodd

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This stream is unlistenable lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Posting the photo that makes the king of thailand look like a street fighting badass carries a three to fifteen sentence.

DUDES ROCK

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This stream is unlistenable lol

Good streaming is when the hosts give their own completely unrelated anecdotes while the candidates are giving answers so you can't hear what either of them are saying.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1311060386184126464

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Good streaming is when the hosts give their own completely unrelated anecdotes while the candidates are giving answers so you can't hear what either of them are saying.

acting as if you were missing out anything other than chris wallace screaming

sir
sir
sir
sir
sir
sir sir

sir
mr president
sir sir sir
sir
sir
sir sir
sir
sir
sir
sir sir sir
sir
sir
mr president
sir
sir
sir sir sir
you agreed to the rules
sir
sir
sir
sir
sir sir
mr president
sir
sir

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this is my exact argument to my friend/colleague whenever we discuss system design/development and every time, I have to go through the full argument because his brain just retreats back to status quo lib positions, it's infuriating.

lib propaganda was infinitely more effective and insidious than the religious stuff he broke out of

edit: I did not watch the streams but I had a look and amber's new hair looks good

crepeface fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 30, 2020

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Still lolling that the debate ended with Trump telling his base to stand guard at polling stations, and Biden's answer to this call for voter intimidation was "vote"

In case you had any doubts that Biden would capitulate to Trump if there's a 2000 rerun, there you go. I really think Trump had the stronger showing because he made Biden look weak, mobilized his own base with calls to action, and probably depressed some turnout for Biden by the way he got Biden to disavow anyone a millimeter to his left

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Biden proved he is alive and can walk and hold a simple conversation.

Otherwise, yeah, it was a poor show. I really hope people are yearning for a safe boring grandpa after the rollercoaster of the last years. Trump was his loud rear end in a top hat self, and at this point we cannot pretend that large swathes of the country don't like it. Either because they are assholes themselves, or see it as being assertive.

I don't see how they can do two more of these. Why don't they have the moderator mute the microphone of whomever is not supposed to be speaking? Well, because they care about the spectacle. Missing out on Trump's crazy antics would hurt ratings!

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

crepeface posted:

edit: I did not watch the streams but I had a look and amber's new hair looks good

her lighting was great too, she put some effort in unlike, you know, everyone else on the stream. the talking over the debate with whatever she felt like would normally be grating but anything that blocked that debate out is welcome imo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best part of the stream was when Matt started calling Biden “a genetic bitch” and it’s probably the fastest phrase has immediately injected itself into my normal rotation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
More fuel for the "Jeni's processes the adrenochrome for the sicko rituals" conspiracy:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1311084592338735104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Halloween Jack posted:

More fuel for the "Jeni's processes the adrenochrome for the sicko rituals" conspiracy:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1311084592338735104

Prepping for the debate with a bag of my favorite treats, Root Beer Twisties.