Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

the President of the United States went on TV and told a violent militia group to "stand by" and people are debating about the loving Green Party, lol'ing forever

Yeah, the other one also told the proud boys to stand by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Space Gopher posted:

According to his campaign website, yes.

But even if he wasn't, it doesn't change the very simple calculus: President Trump has taken concrete steps to end DACA, he has promised to continue, and a Biden administration would not.

Biden is far from perfect or even good on immigration, but trying to draw an equivalence between him and Trump is absolute nonsense. Obama and Biden did a poor job at the border. Trump and Pence have been apocalyptically bad on immigration and refugee issues, at the border and within the US. Going back to just "poor" isn't great, but it will mean very real positive changes for hundreds of thousands of people.

If you really want to value purity tests above that to the point you throw your lot in with the proud boys and the Klan, have fun heiling your way to pure leftism.

OK so if everyone votes biden and he wins what then?

If they're only ever going to be "poor" at everything then... doesn't this argument just happen again next election?

Do you not think the fact that you need to keep having it is a problem?

If it is a problem, what's the solution if you have to keep voting for them regardless?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so then why is it okay when democrats do it

Democrats are not trying to make the electoral college how presidents are decided.

I am I’m loving done here that’s not even close to reality.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
"Joe Biden would have vetoed the Green New Deal" I smugly reply as my ballot for the 2022 midterms is rejected under the new Trump Fair Voting Act.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

OwlFancier posted:

If they're only ever going to be "poor" at everything then... doesn't this argument just happen again next election?

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/298.html

oh we've been having this argument for nearly a century now why would we stop now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ascii genitals posted:

You were never going to vote for Trump, correct? And theoretically you were going to vote for a Democratic candidate until your feelings got hurt and you decided to take up some misguided revenge campaign--yes? OK

i've never voted for a republican or a democrat for president

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Democrats are not trying to make the electoral college how presidents are decided.

I am I’m loving done here that’s not even close to reality.

what the gently caress are you talking about? this argument we're having has nothing to do with the electoral college and is instead about who is and is not allowed to be on ballots

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Popete posted:

"Joe Biden would have vetoed the Green New Deal" I smugly reply as my ballot for the 2022 midterms is rejected under the new Trump Fair Voting Act.

smugly nodding to myself that Joe Biden didn't say "defund the police" as I bleed out after being shot at a Proud Boy checkpoint for being Jewish

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know he's been saying it for months, but to me the stand out moment was trump, in a televised presidential debate, telling his supporters to intimidate voters at the polls. And they will.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"You are helping Trump win!!!" you screech at the Californian/New Yorker NoJoe voter while also claiming "Yes of course I know what the Electoral College means!!! 🙄🙄🤣🤣"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Popete posted:

“At least I voted for Biden” I smugly reply as I choke to death on toxic fumes from the new oil refinery that the Biden administration is subsidizing.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ElrondHubbard posted:

Please provide examples of particularly complicated legal requirements that were unfair to them. Please exclude any that gave them notice of their error and provided them a period of time to correct it.

https://elections.wi.gov/sites/elections.wi.gov/files/2020-09/2020AP1488-OA%20%2809-14-20%29.pdf

Read the opinion and the dissents.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Votes for no-hoper third party candidates automatically favor the incumbent why do people not grasp this.

Not really, actually they favor the leading candidate. In this case Joe Biden is leading. Therefore it follows that a third-party vote is in fact a vote for Joe.

It brings me no joy to report this.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

fart simpson posted:

Wow someone get this guy an award please, what an amazing life. is there a movie or anything i can watch about your struggles?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

illcendiary posted:

This no joe poo poo is so tiresome lol
Blaming people with valid reasons to gently caress the system for trump somehow winning against all polling data is tiring to.
If I can separate any bad thing Biden would do with my vote why the hell would i care for third partier who didn't stop him winning?

I mean gently caress accelerationist argument but this derail was started by "Who dare these people not support biden? You just want Diamonds"
Shun the people who literally want to vote trump. Disagree with those who just want you to vote green and let yourself cooperate with them in any post-biden win activism. All this labeling nonsense isn't really to going to make anyone change their drat votes at these stage either it would be the audience or fellow posters and is just going to be divisive nonsense.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 30, 2020

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ascii genitals posted:

You were never going to vote for Trump, correct? And theoretically you were going to vote for a Democratic candidate until your feelings got hurt and you decided to take up some misguided revenge campaign--yes? OK

I was never going to vote for Trump, no. And I was going to vote for the democratic candidate until the candidate whose platform I supported - and who I believed may actually try to deliver that platform, given his history - ceased to be in the running. Now I am voting for the other person who is on my ballot who has the platform I agree with and who I also believe will try to deliver it based on his history.

"Misguided revenge campaign", lol I gave up on Bernie as soon as he backed Biden in the immediate wake of the Reade allegations, I couldn't give a gently caress less about revenge.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

😂

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

smugly nodding to myself that Joe Biden didn't say "defund the police" as I bleed out after being shot at a Proud Boy checkpoint for being Jewish

stop catastrophizing. it isn't mentally healthy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fart simpson posted:

stop catastrophizing. it isn't mentally healthy

🤯

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I can quite believe that if biden wins there will be another election in 2024 and it won't be significantly more or less unfair than any of the previous ones but I really think it's important to ask what's the plan because mediocre democratic presidents seem to result in worse republican ones if recent trends are anything to go by.

I think there really needs to be a plan for that and if biden committing to mediocrity and not changing anything is good because he needs the swing voters that seems like it might preclude the development of a plan for the next election?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
things don't seem that bad. mostly just looks like sand?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Like I can quite believe that if biden wins there will be another election in 2024 and it won't be significantly more or less unfair than any of the previous ones but I really think it's important to ask what's the plan because mediocre democratic presidents seem to result in worse republican ones if recent trends are anything to go by.

I think there really needs to be a plan for that and if biden committing to mediocrity is good because he needs the swing voters that seems like it might preclude the development of a plan for the next election?

the plan is to waste everyone's time until capitalism has finished killing the planet and then throwing their hands up and going "whoops"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ascii genitals posted:

Wow someone get this guy an award please, what an amazing life. is there a movie or anything i can watch about your struggles?

well im just point out youre wrong. a lot of us were not going to vote for a democrat

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

“At least I voted for Biden” I smugly reply as I choke to death on toxic fumes from the new oil refinery that the Biden administration is subsidizing.

Did you even watch the debate? (No, of course not)

If you had, you would know Biden specifically said no one would be building new coal or oil fueled power plants in the US because he intends to set incentives toward less polluting alternatives. But sure, talk more stupid nonsense made up out of your own rear end

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

Because they don’t want to admit they want a second Trump term.

Or because they've decided to vote on principle and policy rather than voting defensively for the 6th or more time in their life. The lesser of two evils candidates has reliably been more evil every 4 to 8 years since at least the 80s, and most people's lives have become steadily more miserable. It's nobody's fault our election system is carefully constructed to ensure that we must pick between one of two choices, neither of which who will ever be a threat to corporate power, and neither of which will make a meaningful impact on the material conditions of working class Americans.

Yea sure I sincerely hope Trump gets the boot, but I am no longer complicit in a system that forces me to choose between steady decline and rapid decline. Moralize all you want, but we'll ultimately be right back here having this same discussion about the next most evil candidate ever.

gently caress the presidency and focus on whatever local candidates you have that are actual progressives. Support them in your city councils or state senates or wherever. Realize that leftism starts at home in your communities, with acts of solidarity and resistance, not on Twitter beating people's brow for not voting for whoever the DNC trots out for us.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

if you are using the luxury of living in a deep blue state to vote third party, or you were never going to support Trump or Biden, why are you subjecting yourself to this discussion or participating in this thread?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

ratbert90 posted:

The point is Joe and the DNC are bad and shouldn’t be rewarded for their terrible behavior. Everybody should vote 3rd party instead of for the people who looked at the boat that was listing to the right and decided that moving more and more to the right was better than moving to the left to upright the boat.

Good idea, I was going to vote for Biden but let's show him who's boss by voting 3rd party and splitting the vote, handing Trump a landslide victory.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ascii genitals posted:

If you had, you would know Biden specifically said no one would be building new coal or oil fueled power plants in the US because he intends to set incentives toward less polluting alternatives. But sure, talk more stupid nonsense made up out of your own rear end

biden also said that his stance on the issue is that you should GO VOTE! just vote! be sure to vote

V O T E

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

the President of the United States went on TV and told a violent militia group to "stand by" and people are debating about the loving Green Party, lol'ing forever

Militia groups are growing because Democrats have done nothing for most of the American people for decades, and this thread is really self-conscious about it.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

fart simpson posted:

so brave and principled! have you ever considered applying for a somethingawful.com forums moderator position?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ascii genitals posted:

incentives toward less polluting alternatives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"You are helping Trump win!!!" you screech at the Californian/New Yorker NoJoe voter while also claiming "Yes of course I know what the Electoral College means!!! 🙄🙄🤣🤣"

Oh so every no Joe is from NYC or California? Can you 100% confirm this?

I'm not just talking about SA either

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea sure I sincerely hope Trump gets the boot, but I am no longer complicit in a system that forces me to choose between steady decline and rapid decline. Moralize all you want, but we'll ultimately be right back here having this same discussion about the next most evil candidate ever.

so you want Trump to lose, would be happy he'd lose... but don't want to help that process? Are you going to thank Biden voters for their service at least?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

Apparently “refinery” and “power plant” are the same words to you?

Also lol at that weasel language. He didn’t say “I will ban new coal or gas power plants” he said “I will give incentives to not make them” ahahahaha.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

A new coal or oil power plant would be unprofitable even under the current administration.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

SKULL.GIF posted:

Obama's ineffectual centrism led to Trump.

Clinton's ineffectual centrism led to W.

Carter's ineffectual centrism led to Reagan.

How far back do you need to go before you accept evidence as evidence?

Obama and Clinton were term limited. They were both wildly popular and would have been elected for third terms given the chance. There's no such thing as "ineffectual centrism." Centrism wins 2nd terms.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

OwlFancier posted:

OK so if everyone votes biden and he wins what then?

Do you not think the fact that you need to keep having it is a problem?

If it is a problem, what's the solution if you have to keep voting for them regardless?

Yes, it is absolutely a problem. We should have candidates who will do better than "poorly" on immigration. That's why I protested at the local immigration prison under Obama, didn't vote for Biden in the primary, and will continue to support candidates who will do better than Biden.

It also doesn't change the fact that, if Trump wins, hundreds of thousands of people who have known nothing but the US and who have built stable lives here will be turned into unpersons and deported, and that if Biden wins, those people will be allowed to stay, study, and work in the United States.

You're willing to sacrifice those people for the sake of your purity. Good for you, you're very pure, much purer than I am. I happen to know and care about some of them, so I'm going to exert whatever meager scrap of power I've got to bend the outcome to the one where they don't get deported, even if it means I'm not as good a leftist as you are.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Militia groups are growing because Democrats have done nothing for most of the American people for decades, and this thread is really self-conscious about it.

This is the worst post in awhile. Militia groups are growing because a segment of Americans are violent racists, you loving moron, and the President is giving them a loving platform and cheering them on. Stop going to bat to defend literal anti-Semites and Nazis you dipshit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone who thinks Biden or any mainstream politician would actually champion the term "defund the police" is loving delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

if you are using the luxury of living in a deep blue state to vote third party, or you were never going to support Trump or Biden, why are you subjecting yourself to this discussion or participating in this thread?

Because they want to be smug about their ideological purity