Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It depends, some are additive, others are multiplicative. Often there are separate minimums.

For courthouses it's per province, so you want them in every province. The Manufactory one has a state wide effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
is there a good single resource for how to get brokenly good at the game? basically I want to do a one faith run as najd but I'm not really sure how to get started optimally as a smaller nation. I know it involves loans and mercs and no-cbs and vassals but is there a go-to guide for the details?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

for just state maintenance courthouses/town halls do effect the entire state, but they only lower the governing capacity of the province they're in. I am not entirely sure how the numbers average out for state maintenance but I am sure that 4 courthouses don't bring it down to zero.

Generally speaking for courthouses the value of lowering governing capacity is way more important than the state maintenance costs

EDIT:

awesmoe posted:

is there a good single resource for how to get brokenly good at the game? basically I want to do a one faith run as najd but I'm not really sure how to get started optimally as a smaller nation. I know it involves loans and mercs and no-cbs and vassals but is there a go-to guide for the details?

Florryworry's expert tutorials on coaltions/loans are a reasonably good place to start, although they're 3 years out of date at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awPNaMmM8Sw

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 28, 2020

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

awesmoe posted:

Reman's Paradox has a ryuku world conquest guide up on youtube, but that's outdated with 1.3. You could always roll back some patches it you want though. I think he didn't abuse vassal swarm stuff in it too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The state maintenance is the total of the provinces in it so if you plop a courthouse in one province it lowers the cost for that province so the total decreases as well. :homebrew:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Reman's Paradox has a ryuku world conquest guide up on youtube, but that's outdated with 1.3. You could always roll back some patches it you want though. I think he didn't abuse vassal swarm stuff in it too.

thanks, it'll probably be helpful - hopefully I understand the game well enough and know the changelogs enough to be able to differentiate the general approach from the patch-specific brokenness

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

awesmoe posted:

I don’t think there’s one magic YouTube to watch that will make you OP. You just have to play the game a whole lot and try using the things you mentioned to see how/when they work.

But here’s a quick run down on them anyway.

Loans and mercs (and/or just building over force limit) are good ways to get a jump start. Say you start as an OPM with a force limit of 5. You border two other OPMs with similar force limits and they’re allied. If you declare on them with your 5 regiments you’re outnumbered 2:1 and get owned. Or you take a bunch of loans and build up to 12 regiments and hire a morale advisor. Now you can crush their armies (one at a time ideally) and siege both their capitals at once. You annex both and now you have three times your old total development and a higher force limit. You also took all their money and use it to pay off a bunch of your debt. You can now either disband down to force limit and go to low maintenance while you pay off the rest or maybe take some more loans, build or merc up to get even more regiments and go after some slightly bigger neighbours.

No-CBs have a few different uses. One is to jump people on December 11 1444 before they can get (more) allies. Pretty self explanatory and you might do it in the example above before your OPM neighbours ally some regional power or a whole bunch of other OPMs. Another use is to bail the gently caress out of a hostile neighbourhood before some big power eats you. For example if you neighbour the Ottomans you might no-CB someone in Ireland. They’re probably too far away to core their land so instead you make them a vassal. You can always core land bordering your vassals so then you declare on one of your vassal’s neighbours and now you have land in Ireland and will not die when the ottos eat your original land. You might also use the same technique when you’re not existentially threatened but have other avenues of expansion blocked by big rivals/alliances. Another use is if you’re the HRE emperor and want to force convert centres of reformation or random heretic princes you don’t border.

Vassals also have different uses but aren’t usually an important early game small tag thing except for the no-CB thing I just outlined. Usually they’re used for getting a reconquest CB on their cores or for getting around overextension or admin cap. Force vassalising someone also gives less AE than outright taking their land and of course if you’re big enough you can vassalise small neighbours peacefully and avoid war and AE altogether.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I had some weird stuff happen as France.

I declared war on Leige for conquest of a province which drew in Austria as the Emperor, so far as planned. But the Burgundian inheritance happened during the war and I chose to fight Austria over it.

Somehow within a few months those provinces all became Austrian and I didn’t get a chance to win the war - would have been a massive help in getting those provinces without AE!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

for just state maintenance courthouses/town halls do effect the entire state, but they only lower the governing capacity of the province they're in. I am not entirely sure how the numbers average out for state maintenance but I am sure that 4 courthouses don't bring it down to zero.

Generally speaking for courthouses the value of lowering governing capacity is way more important than the state maintenance costs

This is not true. The term "state maintenance" is highly misleading to begin with because that's actually calculated on a per-province basis. Each province has its own maintenance cost that you can only see by hovering over the total state maintenance cost in the state tab while looking at a province. Building a courthouse only reduces that one province's maintenance cost even though it says it reduces "state maintenance."

So if a state's maintenance is 1 ducat and it has 5 provinces that each contribute 0.2 maintenance cost, then building a courthouse in one province will basically give you .05 ducats a month. Most provinces cost much less than 0.2 maintenance though, making courthouses very not worth it for the maintenance reduction alone. If courthouses did reduce the entire state's maintenance cost, they would be extremely powerful monetarily.

For Governing Cost, those modifiers are additive, and they add up to a max of -99%. This means if you have a town hall and a state house in full effect, that province's governing cost is reduced by 90%. A town hall in a trade company province is -99%, making it effectively free GC-wise, because TC provinces are -50% already by default. (This makes TCs very good btw.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 29, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

awesmoe posted:

lol good luck, i think one faith is basically impossible now unless you’re an expert due to how you need to juggle states , vassals and various modifiers and the huge cost of missionaries overall

you can do the exploit to delete every country except your own to do it though, probably more doable , or roll back to an earlier version

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One thing is absolutely, 100%, make sure all your vassals are tags that will take religious. https://pastebin.com/u2Gjhkpq Here's a list of them. The number next to them is what slot they'll pick it as

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This game is on sale so I’m thinking about it... I like the Civ games but this looks much more complex and potentially fun

Can it be a chill game where I manage my nation and build cool things or is it more of a war game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

blue squares posted:

This game is on sale so I’m thinking about it... I like the Civ games but this looks much more complex and potentially fun

Can it be a chill game where I manage my nation and build cool things or is it more of a war game?

It's basically a war game. There are ways you can play somewhat peacefully but they're not really how the game was designed. There isn't really anything to build so to speak, other than buildings that enhance your warmaking abilities in some manner.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Gotcha. I don’t think I’d be so into it then. I like internal management more

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Min-maxing your country to run as efficiently as possible and make as much money as possible is satisfying, but doing so doesn't really serve a greater purpose beyond allowing you to field bigger/stronger armies, or maybe colonize quicker.

I'd say EU4 is closer to Total War than Civ. If you want internal management, maybe take a look at Crusader Kings 3 instead? There's still not much interesting stuff to "build" there so to speak, but there is a bigger focus on internal management.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Min-maxing your country to run as efficiently as possible and make as much money as possible is satisfying, but doing so doesn't really serve a greater purpose beyond allowing you to field bigger/stronger armies, or maybe colonize quicker.

I'd say EU4 is closer to Total War than Civ. If you want internal management, maybe take a look at Crusader Kings 3 instead? There's still not much interesting stuff to "build" there so to speak, but there is a bigger focus on internal management.

Yeah CK 3 rules. I hope they add some city building stuff and economic development

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

blue squares posted:

Echoing the group, come play CK3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

blue squares posted:

Yeah CK 3 rules. I hope they add some city building stuff and economic development

I keep saying this but they shoulda just copied Romance of the Three Kingdoms X.

Every game should, really.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

blue squares posted:

Go buy victoria 2 and the expansions

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

please don't do this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They said they wanted an internal management game. Vicky is that in spades.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Play Vicky 1 for some real fun internal management

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*spends hours manually promoting and splitting pops*

“This is so fun”

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*spends hours manually promoting and splitting pops*

“This is so fun”

There was something..satisfying about immediately seeing your steel factory's output double. Hard to describe, and Victoria 2's weird-rear end throughput and input system never really lets you get there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is not true. The term "state maintenance" is highly misleading to begin with because that's actually calculated on a per-province basis. Each province has its own maintenance cost that you can only see by hovering over the total state maintenance cost in the state tab while looking at a province. Building a courthouse only reduces that one province's maintenance cost even though it says it reduces "state maintenance."

So if a state's maintenance is 1 ducat and it has 5 provinces that each contribute 0.2 maintenance cost, then building a courthouse in one province will basically give you .06 ducats a month. Most provinces cost much less than 0.2 maintenance though, making courthouses very not worth it for the maintenance reduction alone. If courthouses did reduce the entire state's maintenance cost, they would be extremely powerful monetarily.
You can save a bunch more money with courthouses if you run edicts.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Beamed posted:

There was something..satisfying about immediately seeing your steel factory's output double. Hard to describe, and Victoria 2's weird-rear end throughput and input system never really lets you get there.

Which is why we need a vicky 3

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Government specific Aristocracy/Plutocracy improvements/additions!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-29th-of-september-2020.1428518/

Also info on PDX Spain

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Is there a specific way I should be approaching playing Burgundy? I'm trying weaken France around the Surrender of Maine to prevent them from getting powerful but I'm finding that I'm having trouble dealing with France's vassal swarm and even when I try to fight defensively they usually come up and stack wipe me. I have my subjects set to supportive but it rarely seems to help. Wondering if I should play more conservatively and pick at France and England over the course of the game but I'm worried that that's a losing prospect. I only have about 200 hours in the game so I'm by no means an expert in combat at this point.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Probottt posted:

Is there a specific way I should be approaching playing Burgundy? I'm trying weaken France around the Surrender of Maine to prevent them from getting powerful but I'm finding that I'm having trouble dealing with France's vassal swarm and even when I try to fight defensively they usually come up and stack wipe me. I have my subjects set to supportive but it rarely seems to help. Wondering if I should play more conservatively and pick at France and England over the course of the game but I'm worried that that's a losing prospect. I only have about 200 hours in the game so I'm by no means an expert in combat at this point.

Ally Castille or Aragon and call them in.

Also, the Burgundy mission tree for destroying France is weird because its only really useful if you cheese it really hard. You need to absolutely crush them and take like 200%+ WS in the first 10 years to get them weak enough to not be able to annex all their vassals. So you either have to truce-break and deal with a massive coalition (give away allies territory) or do the trick where you 100% occupy and then transfer control of every province over to your ally forcing them to peace out for (hopefully) provinces and then carpet siege them again and take your 100%.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Firebatgyro posted:

Ally Castille or Aragon and call them in.

Also, the Burgundy mission tree for destroying France is weird because its only really useful if you cheese it really hard. You need to absolutely crush them and take like 200%+ WS in the first 10 years to get them weak enough to not be able to annex all their vassals. So you either have to truce-break and deal with a massive coalition (give away allies territory) or do the trick where you 100% occupy and then transfer control of every province over to your ally forcing them to peace out for (hopefully) provinces and then carpet siege them again and take your 100%.

Is there a consistent way to call Aragon into the first war? I've been allying them in my last few attempts and they've been refusing to join even when I promise them land. I've been attempting this war during the Maine war if that helps at all.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Probottt posted:

This guide may help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzgGACUlBgk

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Government specific Aristocracy/Plutocracy improvements/additions!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-29th-of-september-2020.1428518/

Also info on PDX Spain

Alexander Ivannikov produces a powerful aura. I trust this person with my GSG development.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Probottt posted:

Is there a consistent way to call Aragon into the first war? I've been allying them in my last few attempts and they've been refusing to join even when I promise them land. I've been attempting this war during the Maine war if that helps at all.

If you disable Cossacks DLC it works fine, see my post history ITT about England and the surrender of Maine.

The problem is that it's an offensive war basically, and you need to build up trust to get allies to join those which takes decades and so isn't really an option at the start of the game.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 30, 2020

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Probottt posted:

The video guide is pretty solid. You don't necessarily have to rival England at the start since allying them also works for the mission, and that may be possible if they start with a friendly disposition. One additional advantage is that Burgundy starts out with a very good ruler and will be able to hit the first military tech before France. That will give you a window during which your army will be much better than theirs, and if you line that up with your invasion you will be able to beat them convincingly. Don't be afraid to take loans and hire mercs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Probottt posted:

They’ll be a lot more likely to join offensively if they’re France’s rivals. I’d prioritize whoever has rivaled France as allies.

Also, the Maine war isn’t going to be as helpful as it seems because AI England is a passive bitch. The war is mostly just France sieging with no interference.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Burgundian mission tree for beating France is interesting but frustratingly designed.

The way I eventually got it to work was i triggered the league of the public weal immediately before my first war with France; that should get their biggest vassals disloyal and tip the scales in your favour. Try and avoid attacking vassal armies if you can; if you can stackwipe France enough to eat into their manpower reserves, their other vassals should become disloyal as well. Sit on them for a bit to build war exhaustion etc, then peace out for Paris and enough provinces that you only need 3 more to complete the "king of the franks" mission.

Next I declared war on Provence. You want to do it in a way that France doesn't get called in. You can do this in a number of ways - timing the original declaration of war on France such that Provence breaks the alliance, declaring war on Provence while you're still at war with France etc. The goal here is to get 3 provinces in the french region in a way that doesn't turbofuck you with AE. You might need to sit at 100% warscore for a while to let your AE decrease and get the coalition size down to a reasonable amount.

While you're still at war with Provence, when the truce with France is up, declare war again. They should be pretty weak and easy to defeat at this point. The goal, once again, is to stackwipe France but leave the vassal armies. as soon as you see that all of France's vassals are at or above 50% liberty desire, peace out with Provence for the 3 provinces in the french region that give you the least AE and trigger the king of the franks mission. Hooray, you've now got an insane amount of diplomatic relations.

One thing that might make it easier is to seize the province of Rethel from Nevers at the start of the game (do this AFTER you complete the mission to get 0% liberty desire in your subjects), then release Champagne. While this costs an extra diplomatic spot, the AE reduction from using the return cores CB on France should make it easier to avoid a massive coalition.

e: the video linked above swaps around the order of the first war with France and Provence, which might be wiser.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 30, 2020

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I appreciate the advice! I'm having a lot more success with Burgundy now thanks to the pointers everyone gave. So far, I've conquered Paris and am part of the HRE in an attempt to eventually form Lotharingia. I've noticed that I've made a lot of mistakes as I've played, but It's nonetheless encouraging to see some progress playing a "non-newbie" nation.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Keeping all 33 of my level 8 forts active is killing my income in my prussia game-is not losing 1 army tradition/yr worth 60 ducats a month? I make like 20 with forts active and my bigass army drilling, and 80 with forts deactivated. Tradition is around 80 atm.

I will say being constantly poor and dealing with AE has been the hardest part of this campaign. It seems like Prussia is pretty doomed to be poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There is no way you need even half that many forts as Prussia unless you have expanded hugely (in which case you should be rich af and afford them easily). 30 forts is a reasonable number for like, China or Russia.