Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/AustinAnadu_/status/1311204973506633729

Lot to digest in that Tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
genuinely surprised no-one's having a meltdown about bortmund telling united to do one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Have you not seen Der shovels posting over the last however many months

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

this thread is mostly a United meltdown

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Eau de MacGowan posted:

genuinely surprised no-one's having a meltdown about bortmund telling united to do one

I'm sure a lot of people on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are, but most people place the blame squarely on United for this one*. Dortmund said from the start they wanted 120m€ and they wanted it by August 10th or no deal. United tried to bid low and took their sweet time, blowing past the deadlines.

Even yesterday the likes of Fabrizio Romano were reporting United's last bid would have been for 90m€, so you'd have to be crazier than a shithouse rat to lay any blame on Dortmund here. But, considering United's Facebook page is normally full of people yelling about the club betraying 100 years of tradition and selling out to the gays by adopting a temporary Pride themed Facebook header, I'm sure those shithouse rats are out there.

(* and again I personally think 120m€ on Sancho, while he would be a great addition to the team, would be foolish in this economic situation)

E:

a quick look turned plenty of crazy people really angry about a lot of things, but also this so it wasn't all time wasted

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 30, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Otoh. Utd obviously don't value him that highly and wanted to see if Dortmund would cave to a lower bid.
It does happen, you very rarely see transfers go for the original price unless it's a buyout clause

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CyberPingu posted:

Otoh. Utd obviously don't value him that highly and wanted to see if Dortmund would cave to a lower bid.
It does happen, you very rarely see transfers go for the original price unless it's a buyout clause

Sure, and I don't have a problem with trying to bargain. It's just frustrating when the deal seems to be stuck for months in a loop at the exclusion of other things. This summer was immensely important for United, because the team needs to strengthen significantly, or it will probably slide back from last season's good position. This was not a time to spend months laser focused on one player, and instead move on to other targets in reasonable time.

Now the season is already on, and United still don't have a right winger, a left back, a backup striker or any of the other things they REALLY needed this summer.

If the transfer window closes with Van de Beek as United's only signing... hooo boy. But I do have a feeling they'll end up panic buying Cavani or someone on the last day, and overpaying massvely.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
United linked with Ainsley Maitland Niles this morning :allears:

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
i'm glad newcastle takeover chat is over so we can get back to the regular endless man u whining chat

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Speaking of endless Man U whining, Leeds are apparently in for Dan James again. If they sign another winger he'd be looking to leave. I don't read Man U news and views but the bits and pieces I have seen seem to suggest that the fans haven't taken to him and the last transfer was an absolute mess. Would be keen to see him pinging balls in to Lord Patrick 'the white Pele' Bamford

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
why is patrick bamford good now

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

why is patrick bamford good now

Bielsa taught him where the goal is and now he's the first tory to be accepted in Leeds since probably Churchill

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Barkley's gone on loan to Villa. Great loan signing by them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/30/aston-villa-sign-ross-barkley-on-season-loan-from-chelsea

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Speaking of endless Man U whining, Leeds are apparently in for Dan James again. If they sign another winger he'd be looking to leave. I don't read Man U news and views but the bits and pieces I have seen seem to suggest that the fans haven't taken to him and the last transfer was an absolute mess. Would be keen to see him pinging balls in to Lord Patrick 'the white Pele' Bamford

He's a perfectly adequate squad player which is what he was originally bought to be. Unfortunately for him he scored a bunch of goals in his first few appearances and all of a sudden was the second coming of Ryan Giggs in a bunch of United supporter's eyes which is something he was never going to be.

He's not going to start matches because his preferred position is really where Rashford plays and Ole had mostly played him on the right which is pretty firmly Greenwood's now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

In other news, Danny Drinkwater is still technically a Chelsea player although he wasn't given a squad number for the season.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Happy with the Barkley signing, I think we have enough about us to avoid relegation this season

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Good signing for villa.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Barkley shouldnt have gone out he was a decent bench option. That will cost us down the road.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

whoops

https://twitter.com/DeanCoombes/status/1311042209379241989

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Fulham have signed Ademola Lookman on from RB Leipzig. Only on loan though, so he won't have to play in the Championship in 2021/22.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Karl Sharks posted:

got a new stat for you: xX

expected Expecations, a measurement of what they are expected to bring to a club based on expectations (our proprietary model)

Congrats, you've invented betting odds.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

CyberPingu posted:

because you're thinking it is a transfer, not a transfer attempt

there's countless times where a club stayed firm on their price, the player wasn't begging to leave and the buying club tried to get a lower price but didn't and nobody cares cause nothing actually happened

sassassin posted:

Congrats, you've invented betting odds.

is there a way to monetize my new invention?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The simple fact is that you can't negotiate as the buyer if the seller knows you have no alternatives. It's not hard to plant some stories in the papers or even actually start feeling out some other young players in Sancho's position and make Dortmund think you're going to close one of those deals for £80 mil or something like that. Then they start to think about what if he gets injured, we could really use that £90 mil etc. etc. But United have such obvious tunnel vision for this one single player that he probably could do his ACL in May and Woodward would still buy him next summer (OK-realistically deadline day) for whatever Dortmund are asking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm starting to think that's the plan. Get through this season with this squad plus a couple of last day panic buys (or loans), then go back to Sancho next summer.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I would be very surprised if Ole approves panic buys. He's been very much on the "the player I want or no player at all" train so far.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I go back and forth between enjoying the Pooshited meltdowns and wanting them to just shut the gently caress up about their small time club.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Aren't you an american spurs fan lmao

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

Now the season is already on, and United still don't have a right winger, a left back, a backup striker or any of the other things they REALLY needed this summer.

If the transfer window closes with Van de Beek as United's only signing... hooo boy. But I do have a feeling they'll end up panic buying Cavani or someone on the last day, and overpaying massvely.

Greenwood, Shaw, Ighalo :confused:

But yeah deadline day Cavani will be funny

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

TheRat posted:

lol imagine being so dense

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

TheRat posted:

sure am but at least i recognize where my club is in the grand scheme of things

imagine being a united supporter in 2020 and thinking your club is still relevant lmao

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

the thing about Sancho is he's not good enough to make United competitive so spending all summer pining for a talented attacking player when they're not going to be supported at all seems to be the real problem

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think United learned the wrong lesson from Liverpool's transfers over the last few years where Klopp identified players who were his #1 targets in areas where the team needed significant improvement and then signed them even if they cost a lot and took one or two transfer windows for the deal to be completed. In hindsight that looks like a really good plan because it's gotten us some really huge improvements over what we had before, like VVD and Alisson. But it also depends on paying a lot of money and on the player wanting to come play for the club, which Liverpool have been able to do because the club has been willing to spend big on top targets (helped by some wizardry in selling poo poo players for big money and some huge outgoing transfers like Coutinho) and the club is contending for and winning big trophies while playing fun attacking football, which makes the club an attractive place for top players to go.

But the lesson United seem to have taken from that is "identify one top target and then sign them no matter what" without realizing the rest of what made Liverpool's approach work.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Also having a good manager who players would want to play for seems like a given too.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I think United learned the wrong lesson from Liverpool's transfers over the last few years where Klopp identified players who were his #1 targets in areas where the team needed significant improvement and then signed them even if they cost a lot and took one or two transfer windows for the deal to be completed. In hindsight that looks like a really good plan because it's gotten us some really huge improvements over what we had before, like VVD and Alisson. But it also depends on paying a lot of money and on the player wanting to come play for the club, which Liverpool have been able to do because the club has been willing to spend big on top targets (helped by some wizardry in selling poo poo players for big money and some huge outgoing transfers like Coutinho) and the club is contending for and winning big trophies while playing fun attacking football, which makes the club an attractive place for top players to go.

But the lesson United seem to have taken from that is "identify one top target and then sign them no matter what" without realizing the rest of what made Liverpool's approach work.

Well it also helped that we had basically a complete team by the time we got to spaffing all the money on VVD and Alisson, Utd arent in that same position

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
it also helps that liverpool are cool and good, while united are not

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Lots of chat on this story now.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsLyall/status/1311402507072163840

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Well it also helped that we had basically a complete team by the time we got to spaffing all the money on VVD and Alisson, Utd arent in that same position

loving insane given the sheer number of players they've bought over the years

i think they've spent fine they bought players who were good to excellent at the clubs they got them from but their poo poo coaching ruined them

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Van Dijk and Alisson are sort of outliers because they were two players that Liverpool internally thought were the best in the position that Liverpool needed to improve in and the price they were given for both was acceptable and affordable at the time. I'm sure Liverpool would love to have Sancho, but they'd get quoted £100m or whatever it is and then move on to the next name down the list because they don't think hes worth that much right now. Which is what United should be doing instead of this farcical negotiating game that Dortmund have repeatedly and clearly stated will not work. Even Sancho isn't that fussed about staying there so hes not pushing hard to leave, so its not like they have leverage there in the same way Barcelona did when Coutinho and Suarez wanted to leave.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

mila kunis posted:

loving insane given the sheer number of players they've bought over the years

i think they've spent fine they bought players who were good to excellent at the clubs they got them from but their poo poo coaching ruined them

How many of their players would have been good buys for the transfer fees and wages they spent for clubs without their massive piles of noodle partnership money to piss away? Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Pogba? The same goes for the massive increases in wages for squad players that makes them impossible to shift. Their massive financial advantage over everyone except city has been covering for incredible incompetence for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mila kunis posted:

Who specifically are you thinking of?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing entirely, as I do think there are some players United have mismanaged over the years, I think a far bigger problem has been wasting money on bad buys.