Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The ISS got a second go on Ideas I think?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

They're about the same scale though, right? Like there wouldn't be a problem just replacing them with minifigs that suit their sets?

Pretty much. They look weird side-by-side but they are close enough to the same scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Chairchucker posted:

I wanted The Castle in the Forest, but more just because I want more Castle LEGO.

Big same. That was the only one I was interested in. I guess Lego just doesn’t want my money.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't worry LEGO Game of Thrones should be out soon :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect Harry Potter is filling that Castle niche at the moment. Certainly the Hogwarts sets have a lot of castley aesthetics, and are usually more interesting architecturally than generic castles have been in the past.

I would love those sets without the licence.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty much. They look weird side-by-side but they are close enough to the same scale.

This makes them even more tempting.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
You've heard of orange and turquoise brick separators, but have you heard of the OG turquoise brick separators?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had a grey one when I was a kid.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I had fingernails and a butterknife, in that order.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That globe's gonna go real well with the ship in a bottle and pop up book on my shelves

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I had a grey one when I was a kid.

I got two of those, I finally got my first orange one last week!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had teeth!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Cool! Looking at these on BL, someone is selling a "bright orange" (yellow) old style one for 130EU :stare:

I would like to due a Museum of Brick Separators in minifig scale with all of the old iterations behind trans-clear cases.

The new Beatles and Iron Man art sets have a new extra wide black separator which is kind of neat.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Globe is cool. I want one.

Not sure where it's gonna fit now because I've got this monster taking up room...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157716103266837

SHIPtember 2020 - Hecate Heavy Fighter-Bomber

(Full set of photos in the album link.)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Going to need a video of you making pew pew noises, swooping it around, and cheesy bomb sounds.

(It’s great. I love the reversed arches)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anias posted:

Going to need a video of you making pew pew noises, swooping it around, and cheesy bomb sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHhn2WtwYU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was there just a generic chip that made all those sounds in a loop because I had a completely different gun that made those exact same sounds. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sound chip that came with a demo mode that showed off what kind of sounds it could make and everyone just packaged the demo mode into toy guns.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I had a robocop toy that also did the same sounds

Olpainless posted:

SHIPtember 2020 - Hecate Heavy Fighter-Bomber

This is super loving cool

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:yeshaha: :bisonyes: :sbahj: this hits all the nostalgia notes. Mine was black though and didn't flash, it looked more like a bulked-up Gears of War rifle or something

e:

Cojawfee posted:

Was there just a generic chip that made all those sounds in a loop because I had a completely different gun that made those exact same sounds. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sound chip that came with a demo mode that showed off what kind of sounds it could make and everyone just packaged the demo mode into toy guns.
Ahhhh.

e:
Lego content:
I just want to say, holy crap at how much classic pirate ship prices have gone up on BL in the last year. I'm glad I got my Skull's Eye Schooner when I did, and that I didn't buy the Imperial Flagship or the Caribbean Clipper- they're just inferior overall compared to SES and BSB. Realistically you could part out the SES, just the sails and the printed Jolly Roger brick on the stern are the only unique items. And that super expensive minifig torso that only otherwise appears in Imperial Trading Post.

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 30, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Anias posted:

(It’s great. I love the reversed arches)

I'll try but it's pretty heavy :v

Gonna pew pew no matter what though

Brawnfire posted:

I had a robocop toy that also did the same sounds

This is super loving cool

Thankyou!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I still really don't like the minidolls. The lack of wrists limits what they can hold, and they don't fit in seats as well as minifigs (both of which come up in the great submarine set).

But the range of buildings and vehicles and settings is good.

And those matte soft hair pieces are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE! Argh!

My daughter has amassed a sizeable army of minidolls by now, 40-something from sets she has gotten and 40-something that i have bought cheaply while filling BL orders, and EVERY SINGLE hairpiece is no longer useable after like 15 minutes of play.
They are loose fits at best even when brand new and after abit of use they are so loose they slide off when you hold the minidoll at a slight angle, you don't even need to hold it upside down.

I don't understand why Lego is not called out on this and why they continue to produce this garbage. (Well i guess i answered that last point myself...)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can you stick normal Lego hair on them or do you just have an army of bald minidolls?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Time to do some fundraising to pay for my MOC projects! I'll keep it brief. Mix of sets and MOCs. Everything ships from 75243 for $actual shipping cost. I think I've handily undercut the next best price for everything I'm listing.

$25 - 75871 Ford Mustang GT, complete, stickers applied, instructions, no box. image
$10 - 75885 Ford Fiesta M-Sport WRC, complete, stickers applied, no instructions or box. image
$15 - 40252 Mini Volkswagen Beetle, complete, stickers applied, instructions, no box. image
$15 - 75881 2016 Ford GT & driver ONLY. Not the complete set! Instructions, no box. image
$120 - 9465 The Zombies, complete, no instructions or box. The rarest Monster Fighters set, complete with its sought-after figs! image
$30 - 40290 60 Years of the Lego Brick, complete, instructions, no box. Also, I'm including a MOC I built of 6769 Fort Legoredo in the same scale and style as the set. More pics of that. image
$30 - MOC: 2008 Ford Mustang GT. This is a 5th gen Mustang in the 6-wide City scale (not really Speed Champs scale due to the wide cabin). It has 7 custom chromed pieces, too - four wheels, two mirrors, and the round tyle representing the badge. image
$30 - MOC: 1970 Dodge Challenger. This is the white one that I built to round out my collection of Death Proof builds. I don't really need two of the same car in my personal collection, though, so here it is! image
$??? - a couple old classic car style MOCs. These are from, uhhh, like 11+ years ago? So definitely not my newest or best work. They're both fragile. The white one has yellowed a lot and two of its chrome pieces are flaking. On the plus side, it DOES have a lot of chrome! Anyway, I feel bad asking for money for such flawed old builds, but it feels like a shame to just take them apart since they've survived for so long. Will accept basically any offer. Hell, they're yours for a buck if you want. Strip 'em for parts if you like, I just can't bring myself to do it. image
Freebies: buy any two things and get a freebie of your choice. I've got 30603 Batman Classic TV Series - Mr. Freeze (sealed), 71361-7 Eep Cheep (no package or inst), and 5004936 Iconic Cave (sealed). image

edit: oh and let me know if you want the ADP Saloon (complete with instructions and original box) or the BSB reissue from '02 (complete, instructions, no box). I'm not hard committing to selling either yet like I am with the above stuff but I could part with 'em if someone's actively looking for one.

edit 2: ONE LAST THING: I will also offer this:

$30 - access to a google drive link with all paid instructions I've ever put on my Rebrickable account. All my cars and the new Saloon as well. I think this values over $100. Also, I retroactively update this every time I add something to RB, so this includes all FUTURE instructions (at least for as long as I keep selling in this format) as well. I'm trusting you to not post this all over the internet, please! :v: I really appreciate y'all's continued love and support.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 3, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can you stick normal Lego hair on them or do you just have an army of bald minidolls?

They're literally standard hair so yes.

Ineptitude posted:

And those matte soft hair pieces are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE! Argh!

I don't know where you're buying from because they are standard hair!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

LEGO Ideas First 2020 Review Results.

The Globe was successful, the Sonic course might be successful, everything else was knocked back.

Not surprised about the Globe making it through but I thought the Castle in the Forest might too.

Disappointed about the Castle in the Forest tbh. That would have been a day 1 buy for me.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I’ve never had any trouble with the Friends minidoll hair, and my kid and I used to play with them all the time.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Olpainless posted:

They're literally standard hair so yes.

I don't know where you're buying from because they are standard hair!
A lot of them are made of a softer rubberized material. Then again, some of the minifig hair pieces are, too (but far fewer). I also have never had trouble with either.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Spookydonut posted:

You've heard of orange and turquoise brick separators, but have you heard of the OG turquoise brick separators?

Those are green, not turquoise/teal. And yes, I have both colours of the OG ones. Only orange of the new ones though, but I'd like to get the green and teal ones.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Cool! Looking at these on BL, someone is selling a "bright orange" (yellow) old style one for 130EU :stare:

That's because it's a prototype part that never came in any sets. It's possible to obtain that kind of thing that's escaped the factory, but you generally have to be either rich, lucky or persistent to get any.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Lego content:
I just want to say, holy crap at how much classic pirate ship prices have gone up on BL in the last year. I'm glad I got my Skull's Eye Schooner when I did, and that I didn't buy the Imperial Flagship or the Caribbean Clipper- they're just inferior overall compared to SES and BSB. Realistically you could part out the SES, just the sails and the printed Jolly Roger brick on the stern are the only unique items. And that super expensive minifig torso that only otherwise appears in Imperial Trading Post.
Ow god, it did. Time to sell my https://brickset.com/sets/6280-1/Armada-Flagship. I bought that thing years ago and its kinda meh. But it seems to have tripled in value since then.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's because it's a prototype part that never came in any sets. It's possible to obtain that kind of thing that's escaped the factory, but you generally have to be either rich, lucky or persistent to get any.
Fans call these things Q parts, which is an incorrect bastardization of an internal LEGO term. In LEGO, a Q part is any mold of part/color combination that isn't currently in production, regardless of whether it once was or never was. For instance, this staircase that hasn't been made since '94, or a sand blue 1 x 1 plate since this common piece hasn't been made in that particular color since 2003. Inside LEGO, both are Q parts, even though they used to be produced.

In the fan community, though, Q part is usually slang for a piece in a color that never came in any set at all, and therefore "shouldn't" exist. Take a look at our good friend the Travis brick here. If you compare "lots for sale" against "known colors," you'll see there is a seller with a bright pink one (that may be a mistake, given its low price), and 17 sellers with yellow ones, which don't appear in any set and therefore shouldn't exist. But they definitely do! I have one. Sometimes these are experimental prototype molds that escape the LEGO factory (this is often the case when you see red pieces, i.e. this dude's $1,200 red Darth Vader helmet. Some are pieces that were produced on request for LEGOLAND builders and Master builders, who can request parts that are otherwise not in production. And some of them are baffling and I am unable to explain them: how on earth does this guy have hundreds of dark red revolvers? How do this many people have orange Star Wars blasters? I don't really know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In that stop motion credits animation at the end of the lego movie one of the classic space ships used 2x2 slopes in transparent yellow, which have never been used in a set. :v:

(but they can be created by dying trans clear pieces)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Any idea when the Winnie Pooh set will come out? First half of 2021 or second?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I hope that sonic set makes it, if they just make it like the submitted one it'd be a perfect affordable ideas set.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The ISS got a second go on Ideas I think?

ISS was selected in a "10 years of Ideas" thing where they pulled a few really good rejected submissions our and had fans vote of them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, I got a strong urge to get another modular, but: 1) I'm waiting on a back-order Assembly Square with a ship-by Oct 16th and 2) October's GWP is slated for the 15th (100$+ 5-in-1 mindstorms mini bots.)

I want to take advantage of the GWP later in the month but I also kinda want something to build sooner, and I doubt I'd be able to get them to give me the GWP with the Assembly Square.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

So i have a ton of door/window frames and not enough inserts for them. talking probably 150+ doors. i dont want to buy that many inserts and am trying to find something temporary until i can spend on the actual pieces.

i think im going to get some clear plastic sheets and try to make my own. it may take a while but i have some time on my hands

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The globe might be cooler if it came with a box of "pins" you could throw on to mark where you've been.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

The globe might be cooler if it came with a box of "pins" you could throw on to mark where you've been.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the final model came with something like that.

Short of that, I'm sure many builders will have collection of varying colours of studs or other 1x1 bits that might make for makeshift pins.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So I just installed Studio, and I'm trying to build some existing sets to figure out how it works. I figured out how to import a set, but how do I get instructions for it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

So I just installed Studio, and I'm trying to build some existing sets to figure out how it works. I figured out how to import a set, but how do I get instructions for it?
Just google "[set name/number] instructions" and you'll find a lot of sites that host them. Or, go to Brickset and look up the set there - they aggregate the places that host instructions for sets, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lego itself has pdf instructions for most (all?) sets