Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah. I thought the ending of that arc was actually really unsettling and sad. The first time I did a big read-through of 80s X-comics I was struck by how likeable and interesting Madelyne is, and how horrific her transformation in Inferno was. I felt like her sense of confusion and loss in Hellions was very understandable, and the responses of the two Summers brothers at the end extremely revealing.

Uncanny X-Men 170 is really good. Just finished it a half hour ago, and the Madelyne/Scott stuff is almost as good as the Storm/Calysto fight. There’s even a good scene with Destiny and Mystique that sets up Rogue joining in the next issue.

I feel like I’ll have to read X Of Swords: Creation again and take notes. There was a lot going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's an alternate universe where Jean Grey stayed dead and Scott Summers retired to Alaska with Madelyn Pryor and their kid Nathan and I often wonder what the gently caress X-Men comics would actually look like for the 30 years after that.

Storm would probably be even more important than she is for the book.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Skwirl posted:

most def.

The amount that Chris Claremont was horny for Storm literally cannot be overstated. I started reading the entire Claremont era from Giant Sized forward in quarantine and from her first appearance ( in which she is topless) through the dark Phoenix saga ( which happens much earlier than I thought) she managed to get in 3-4 shower scenes.

It’s wild.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

most def.

The amount that Chris Claremont was horny for Storm literally cannot be overstated. I started reading the entire Claremont era from Giant Sized forward in quarantine and from her first appearance ( in which she is topless) through the dark Phoenix saga ( which happens much earlier than I thought) she managed to get in 3-4 shower scenes.

It’s wild.

See also how her mere presence turns villains horny on main for her. Dracula and even Doom.

There's a guy over on RPG.net reading all the X-stuff ever and I was reminded even in the Heroes For Hope section Claremont himself writes we get Storm being shown different versions of herself which include fairy, cheerleader, "the wanton" and ending with dominatrix.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

There's an alternate universe where Jean Grey stayed dead and Scott Summers retired to Alaska with Madelyn Pryor and their kid Nathan and I often wonder what the gently caress X-Men comics would actually look like for the 30 years after that.

How much was X-Men's continued popularity throughout the late 80s tied to the expansion into stuff like X-Force and X-Factor? Because without Scott and Cable you don't really have either of those.

People would probably like Wolverine even more, without him being able to act like that guy about Jean

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OnimaruXLR posted:

Because without Scott and Cable you don't really have either of those.

I don't think Cable was conceived (no pun intended) as a Summers kid so it certainly wouldn't have affected him. And I don't think any of his initial popularity could be contributed to his parentage. Hell, I'd argue he wasn't popular so much as the person creating/drawing him was popular and he just benefitted from that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah Cable was originally just created as a foil for Professor X, a mysterious hardlined military leader type who was also a cyborg. even without the Summers family connection he still would have stuck around though his later years obviously would have been far different

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I appreciate Hickman's ability to read my mind.
Me, reading X-Men #12: "What the gently caress is with all of these place names? Can you give us some clue as to where they all are in relation to each other? Aren't you the infographics guy, Hickman? Get on that poo poo!"
Me, reading Creation: "Oh, there it is. Thanks Hickman!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

yeah Cable was originally just created as a foil for Professor X, a mysterious hardlined military leader type who was also a cyborg. even without the Summers family connection he still would have stuck around though his later years obviously would have been far different

I feel like at most Liefeld had him as somebody from the future aside from that, which feels like the typical thing of Rob only ever having broad strokes and the interesting stuff filled in by more competent writers later.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So no precogs are allowed on Krakow, right? Isn't Betsy a precog? I know she was before the body switch with Kwannon. (I can not remember any precog things in her body) so now does she have precognitive poweres back in her original body?

Psylocke, - so confusing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So no precogs are allowed on Krakow, right? Isn't Betsy a precog? I know she was before the body switch with Kwannon. (I can not remember any precog things in her body) so now does she have precognitive poweres back in her original body?

Psylocke, - so confusing.

God knows I don't have perfect X-Men knowledge, but I don't remember Betsy ever predicting the future.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think she was mildly precog in her first, first appearances in Captain Britain (I listed to a two hour podcast about her recently, I should remember this more clearly) but since moving into mainline Marvel I think she's been strictly a telepath/telekinetic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

I think she was mildly precog in her first, first appearances in Captain Britain (I listed to a two hour podcast about her recently, I should remember this more clearly) but since moving into mainline Marvel I think she's been strictly a telepath/telekinetic.

Did she premiere when Alan Moore was writing Captain Britain, i keep meaning to read those.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yes and same.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kinda related, but shouldn’t she be able to fly, too? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Kinda related, but shouldn’t she be able to fly, too? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen.

I only consider Marvel UK stuff canon if it's shown to be in the main books.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

I guess it could be like Rachel where I don’t think anybody remembered her actual mutant power until the most recent X-Factor.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like X-Factor is also glossing up the ability a little to make it stand out. I knew Rachel could project minds through time, including her own, but I don't think I've even heard the term "chrono-skimming" before now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Doesn’t she have psychometry as well?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Doesn’t she have psychometry as well?

She does in X-Factor, I don't remember her ever using it before though, maybe once or twice when she first got sent back in time to help figure out that the Jean and Scott in the 616 timeline weren't the Jean and Scott from hers.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like X-Factor is also glossing up the ability a little to make it stand out. I knew Rachel could project minds through time, including her own, but I don't think I've even heard the term "chrono-skimming" before now.

iirc her power is referred to as chronoskimming in Days of Future Past. I wanna say the psychometry came later as an extension of that power? But I don’t think the psychometry was ever referred to as chronoskimming like it is now in X-Factor.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So no precogs are allowed on Krakow, right?

Not since the PiS took over.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hi all, I stopped when comics paused for covid and am just getting back on the horse. What’s good and what sucks?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Don't read Fallen Angels, and the beginning of Excalibur is weak. Everything else is more or less gravy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New Mutants is a bit inconsistent too, partly because of the changing writing team.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New Mutants is a bit inconsistent too, partly because of the changing writing team.

The Hickman issues were great and the others definitely were. I'm hoping the new writer brings the quality back up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I've been enjoying New Mutants, even if it's closer to the middle of the pack for me, but I'm really looking forward to what Vita Ayala does on the book. So far I've enjoyed everything of theirs I've read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hi all, I stopped when comics paused for covid and am just getting back on the horse. What’s good and what sucks?

Cable is a lot of fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-Factor only has a few issues out but it's stellar.

Sword of X Spoilers: Aw, rest in peace, Rockslide.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 30, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

X-Factor only has a few issues out but it's stellar.

Sword of X Spoilers: Aw, rest in peace, Rockslide.

oh man how pissed off am I about to be

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blockhouse posted:

Good thing it doesn’t matter!!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:lol: X-Factor is more expensive than usual because it's now part of a crossover event. gently caress my life and gently caress Marvel.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I just started really catching up last night. X of swords seems like a really goofy and off-brand idea.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

Good thing it doesn’t matter!!

Do you mean like in general as relates to a comics character or here specifically, because it matters here specifically. It's a whole thing.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Krakoa really needs to set up a temporal corp. A group that does missions in the recent past to rectify mistakes that would represent major threats to Krakoa's continued existence as a nation. Not minor set backs, but existential threats.

No one's using the name Exiles right now, right?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The prophecy/end summary by Doug only lists 9 champions right? 10 swords are mentioned and 10 spots at the sanctus sancrum. So waiting on one person to be revealed still.

I assume it is possible for Rockslide to eventually reform in Otherworld at some point. Hope goon favorite X-man isn't gone for too long.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Fritzler posted:

I assume it is possible for Rockslide to eventually reform in Otherworld at some point. Hope goon favorite X-man isn't gone for too long.

He'd better not be! He wore a hockey mask to conceal his identity. How is that the mutant you off for stakes? (Seriously though, just let Anole and Rockslide be bros! They got it bad enough during the Rosenberg era.)

:(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Blockhouse posted:

update: the answer is "moderately"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
X-Factor got me a lot more invested in X of Swords, and I actually kind of liked how what might have normally just been a routine crossover shock-death brought up a number of important questions about the rules of Krakoa as a setting. Pretty strong writing for and around Apocalypse as well. I'm very interested to see how some of the other better side-titles-- Marauders, (imo) Hellions, etc.-- find ways to explore the margins of this arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm going to be fair and say I'm willing to give New-Rockslide a shot but minimizing him as a character in favor of Glob followed by killing him off to prove a point just really sticks in my craw.

I greatly appreciate Emma being pissed off about it.

I'd be less salty if he had done literally anything since Dawn of X started