Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I feel like I'm moving in the opposite direction of this thread because I thought last night's episode went super off the rails bad. Like, the show continues to ride the shlock and "thinking it's a smart show" fence too much and fails at both. Hippolyta doing all these silly Myst puzzles that only sound smart to a stupid person (ohhh, calculate the mass/velocity on the planet's axis, then account for the Shwartzkampf equation, blah blah blah) and throwing that drat meme of the formulas floating in front of her was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Also, was there any historical basis in black women in the 1800s banding together in a Native American-style camp while wearing Amazonian armor and then fighting Confederates who don't like actually using their guns or... what? I guess that was a multi-verse universe where that happens?

I hate the show's continual trashing of Tic's character more and more with his added homophobia this episode. YES, I KNOW IT'S TIED UP WITH HIS ABUSE BY HIS FATHER, but still.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
prediction: Lovecraft Country, a prophetic book from the future, is the real Book of Names

Also Hippolyta was reincarnated as a member of the Minon.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Also, was there any historical basis in black women in the 1800s banding together in a Native American-style camp while wearing Amazonian armor and then fighting Confederates who don't like actually using their guns or... what? I guess that was a multi-verse universe where that happens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey_Amazons

e:f,b

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Still was super dumb that the men attacking them didn't shoot, they just charged them with swords.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

JazzFlight posted:

Still was super dumb that the men attacking them didn't shoot, they just charged them with swords.

It was a fantasy happening in Hyppolita's head / a representation of her true self after she said she wanted to kill white men, as every other thing that has happened in this episode. Although you could question how "real" things were due to the quasimagic technology used to generate it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martman posted:

Did I totally misread a scene near the end or did Tic stumble on a copy of Lovecraft Country, the book, at the end of that episode?

Yes he did but it was authored by George Freeman not the actual author Matt Ruff

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JazzFlight posted:

She was given reality bending powers by some sort of super being. She was fulfilling fantasies with it to show the audience that she'd sacrifice unlimited power to achieve every desire she has to go back to lovely 1950s America to help herself/loved ones.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I loved the episode but I will agree that the floating math graphics with swelling music scene was beyond corny and went on for way too long.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^ It really looked like a voluntary reference to the math lady meme, but I have no idea why they would do that.

Digital Jedi posted:

Yes he did but it was authored by George Freeman not the actual author Matt Ruff
Which makes sense since that's the name Tic and Georce used to describe the part of America they are travelling to in the 1st episode. I wonder if that's a dramatization of events that have happened to them in the same adventure but in a different reality.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The only reason I'd be mad at the father who attempted to beat homosexuality out of me secretly being gay the whole time is homophobia.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

AccountSupervisor posted:

I loved the episode but I will agree that the floating math graphics with swelling music scene was beyond corny and went on for way too long.

This is 100% because gen pop would be confused otherwise.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The only reason I'd be mad at the father who attempted to beat homosexuality out of me secretly being gay the whole time is homophobia.
So then have him use the word hypocrite, not drop the gay F-bomb.
My read on his character the way it was written/shot was like he was angry 50/50 because the father was gay AND lying to him.

...and all the responses after will be flooding in about how it just makes Tic flawed or how it was accurate to the time period... based on what I read about the book, none of this plot was there (war crimes/gay dad), it's made up completely for the show, so it's all on the showrunners for these choices.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Tic ain't rationalizing it like that and he's definitely acting like a man from his day. He's pissed that his dad 1) is a hypocrite and 2) didnt actually care about him.

If it's not in the books then bravo to the showrunners because Tic seems like the most realistic character on TV. You don't have to cheer for him but all his motivations make perfect sense.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Yes, but Dahomey amazons had firearms of their own, so I'm willing to concede artistic license that that part of the skirmish was over.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wait are people still complaining that the show is portraying a black man from 1950 not being as woke as their something awful posting rear end in 2020?

JazzFlight posted:

...and all the responses after will be flooding in about how it

just makes Tic flawed or how it was accurate to the time period... based on what I read about the book, none of this plot was there (war crimes/gay dad), it's made up completely for the show, so it's all on the showrunners for these choices.

lol so it'd have been fine if Matt Ruff wrote it but now that we got black people writing this poo poo hahahahhaha oh man

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
As someone who found this show purely because I wanted some horror to watch and this had Lovecraft's name in it, I'm really digging it. The last episode was really really cool, even if the giant afro lady got a positive chuckle out of me, looked like something out of a old pulp sci-fi magazine.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The last ep reminded me of the short lived HBO show called Perversions of Science, which was supposed to be a scifi sibling of Tales From the Crypt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gp4u5vR0hk

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love what Jonathan Majors does as Tic. Very physical expressions of love and anger issues, in both his face and movements.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

ruddiger posted:

The last ep reminded me of the short lived HBO show called Perversions of Science, which was supposed to be a scifi sibling of Tales From the Crypt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gp4u5vR0hk

Stupid sexy robots.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

davidspackage posted:

I love what Jonathan Majors does as Tic. Very physical expressions of love and anger issues, in both his face and movements.

Yeah he's an awesome actor even if he emotes a bit. I've really been enjoying Ruby too she gets super into the anger. I kinda wished the Hippolyta episode was the Ruby episode instead.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

JazzFlight posted:

I thought last night's episode went super off the rails bad.

Yeah. I decided to catch up after episode two turned me off the show, and I'm kind of impressed how that in a medium where every moment is a creative choice that the creators somehow manage to constantly make choices that are so stunningly dumb. It took me three attempts over two days to make it through the last episode because I kept getting shut down by second hand embarrassment. Something about how the greater universe underlying the thin layer of reality we live in turns out to be a terrible Rick and Morty-esque parody of a Missy Elliott video really made things awkward. I mean if you want to paint a picture of empowerment, you probably should do better than a smarmy cartoon caricature that feels more sarcastic than the surreal vibe that I assume they were shooting for.

I mean hooray for taking chances and everything, but sometimes you fall on your face and goddamn does this show do that in grand fashion.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The show continues to be really good, actually.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

So then have him use the word hypocrite, not drop the gay F-bomb.
My read on his character the way it was written/shot was like he was angry 50/50 because the father was gay AND lying to him.

...and all the responses after will be flooding in about how it just makes Tic flawed or how it was accurate to the time period... based on what I read about the book, none of this plot was there (war crimes/gay dad), it's made up completely for the show, so it's all on the showrunners for these choices.

This is a show about the black experience and it is cool + good that bad things like homophobia and toxic masculinity are rightfully addressed in that context, actually.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Found out today that the Black lady on the motorcycle that waved to Hippolyta was a reference to a real woman, Bessie Stringfield, a Black woman who rode her motorcycle through all 48 contiguous states (and crossed the US eight times working for the Army as a courier). Thematically appropriate for the show, apparently Bessie "reimagined" her life a few times, claiming different birthplaces and whatnot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Stringfield

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Frankenstyle posted:

Something about how the greater universe underlying the thin layer of reality we live in turns out to be a terrible Rick and Morty-esque parody of a Missy Elliott video really made things awkward.

Hi I would recommend that you commit to no longer watching the show and extremely commit to no longer posting in the thread for it, because I think this might be the worst read of a TV episode I've ever seen and I do not think I can handle another one.

Tic is an excellent character and Majors is doing some loving incredible work along with the rest of the main cast.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I give every actor and every character an A+++ except for Tic's character (B-) and MKW's character (C-) and acting (F)

Similar to Watchmen, I can't shake the feeling that this is a show about the black experience for white audiences, which is fine, but such a terribly crowded space. At the end of the day though, an HBO show's purpose is to sell HBO subscriptions, so I shouldn't be expecting anything but high production value entertainment. It's really, really nailing that though. I think this is going to be a show with lasting legacy, but likely not a second season (and that's not an inherently bad thing)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
This is absolutely a show about black characters for a BLACK audience, jesus christ. Half the reason posters in this thread got uncomfortable after the first episode is because the writers blew right past the typical "racism is bad, just like a monster!" that white audiences were used to and started getting into some real dark poo poo that exists within the black community and where race intersects with gender, and sexual orientation. I mean, the writers are on Twitter explaining what they were doing with each episode, it's not that hard to dig up.

Jordan Peele is pretty loving explicit when he is being interviewed by black publications about what his stories mean. He literally point-blank said that Get Out was about the bullshit post-racial performative crap white people pulled during the Obama years, and even joked that white people were going to rave about the movie while missing the loving point. The first episode of this series is basically "racism that white people are comfortable with". It's coded as being far away, in a different time and place, in a way that white people can shake their heads at and compliment the writers on being clever by comparing it to Lovecraftian horror. It even has Uncle George, a survivor of The Tulsa Race massacre, who despite living in such lovely times is inoffensive and nonviolent and takes everything in stride. White people are comfortable with that because it reassures them that great violence is not in their future should the people they've grounded under their heels for centuries actually gain a semblance of power and exact horrible revenge.

Then the writers kill him off and are like "Nope!" Black people are human beings and humans living under these conditions are like Montrose, or Ruby, or Tic. They are hosed up from their trauma, they hurt others, are prone to violence, they strike out where and when they can out of frustration. And then they circle back and point out that even George's comfortable head-of-household attitude was toxic and restrictive to his much more intelligent wife.

It's a show absolutely for black people, so just sit along for the ride and try to learn something.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This isn't a Jordan Peele show anymore than it's a J. J. Abrams show

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I wish I was enough of a prick to tell black artists their work reflecting their own experience and ancestry is too white but hey Im not a tremendous poo poo head. Man wouldnt that be an awesome personality to have!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So wildly inaccurate I'm not even sure if you're responding to me

Moltke
May 13, 2009
The show is still good. Reposting this for a new page.

Doltos posted:

No your posts are exceedingly dumb and most of the people in the thread have told you that already.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Is anyone else having a hard time understanding these characters? Some talk too low, or not enunciated. I've had some hearing damage a decade ago and I can't tell if it's finally catching up to me or if it's intentional.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah there's an audio mixing problem with the show, unfortunately. Vocal track is a solid 10db too low compared to music and background sfx

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is absolutely a show about black characters for a BLACK audience, jesus christ. Half the reason posters in this thread got uncomfortable after the first episode is because the writers blew right past the typical "racism is bad, just like a monster!" that white audiences were used to and started getting into some real dark poo poo that exists within the black community and where race intersects with gender, and sexual orientation. I mean, the writers are on Twitter explaining what they were doing with each episode, it's not that hard to dig up.

Jordan Peele is pretty loving explicit when he is being interviewed by black publications about what his stories mean. He literally point-blank said that Get Out was about the bullshit post-racial performative crap white people pulled during the Obama years, and even joked that white people were going to rave about the movie while missing the loving point. The first episode of this series is basically "racism that white people are comfortable with". It's coded as being far away, in a different time and place, in a way that white people can shake their heads at and compliment the writers on being clever by comparing it to Lovecraftian horror. It even has Uncle George, a survivor of The Tulsa Race massacre, who despite living in such lovely times is inoffensive and nonviolent and takes everything in stride. White people are comfortable with that because it reassures them that great violence is not in their future should the people they've grounded under their heels for centuries actually gain a semblance of power and exact horrible revenge.

Then the writers kill him off and are like "Nope!" Black people are human beings and humans living under these conditions are like Montrose, or Ruby, or Tic. They are hosed up from their trauma, they hurt others, are prone to violence, they strike out where and when they can out of frustration. And then they circle back and point out that even George's comfortable head-of-household attitude was toxic and restrictive to his much more intelligent wife.

It's a show absolutely for black people, so just sit along for the ride and try to learn something.

IDK what the rest of you are doing but this is how to make a good post

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hey fella a lot of us are making that post it's just that one guy who keeps melting down because the show isn't putting the main characters in pedestals

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Doltos posted:

Hey fella a lot of us are making that post it's just that one guy who keeps melting down because the show isn't putting the main characters in pedestals

Lol ok yeah there are a lot of you doing pretty well in this thread.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hahahahah Holy poo poo this episode :tviv: , fantastic Very gruesome episode that I had to skip through for a few parts especially the body bursting sex scene, but holy poo poo the ending with the creature showing up to protect Atticus and then just wrecking shop was amazing

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So in case you wanted to know the theme of this episode (and why they choose to use Naomi Wadler's speech from "March for Our Lives" as part of the soundtrack), it was Dee is essentially going through HELL, her whole family is too wrapped up in their own story-lines to notice her, or hear her, or help her...which is representative of so many black girls and how communities loose sight of them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Tonight's episode was kind of great? It had the first instance of actual deeply unsettling supernatural horror (Diana), it had extreme catharsis (the last two minutes) and it showed how rich white indifference is in some ways as bad as hatred and malice (Christina).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There have been many good episodes, but this is the first Excellent episode of the show