Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You are aware that it's the land that's ridiculously expensive in California, right? Not the houses? You can (and people do!) pay hundreds of thousands for a bare lot, upwards of millions depending on the location and what kind of development it's cleared for.

And what the hell is wrong with stick-built construction?

Anyway I'm sorry you've lived in some poo poo houses, but I don't think they're remotely a peculiarly Californian invention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We always lived in rentals in California and the lack of overhead lighting annoyed me the most. Then we were encouraged to save electricity. Everyone just lives in shadows during the daytime, then uses a mediocre Costco floor lamp at night.
(The actual owned houses I've visited had windows and lights in comfortable places.)

Maybe it's just my bad luck…

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There were a LOT of poo poo houses built post-war but they're mostly still standing in CA because the environment here means they won't instantly rot in the first bad storm or collapse with a heavy snow.

Kinda the opposite where in the northeast there's a shitload of foundation issues from the freeze/thaw cycle and water getting into basements and poo poo while it's not nearly as bad a problem in a place like SoCal. Doesn't mean they're built any better, we just don't have basements and build on slab so we don't deal with that.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

peanut posted:

We always lived in rentals in California and the lack of overhead lighting annoyed me the most.

This is pretty common in homes built before the 90s. They certainly didn't have $15 LED puck lights back then.

I actually prefer floor/table lamps for living areas and bedrooms over recessed/puck lights (fight me.) LED recessed lights are tough to do without being harsh, even with a dimmer, and so many installs I've seen are atrocious.

Now, for work rooms (kitchen, laundry, garage, etc.) light the poo poo out of that with whatever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Allow me to present: Beerhalla.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wow. They're going to have to shave some more money off that price. I would imagine 20K or so under the 107-110K valuation of the neighboring places to offset the cost of undoing all that bullshit.

(I do like the large shower stall with glass doors)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I imagine this is what a European beer drinker's version of Hell looks like.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What happens when you trip and crumple a can wall? I mean it would make more sense to just buy can label wallpaper but :shrug:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

This dude died of cancer under 70...I wonder why?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

cowofwar posted:

What happens when you trip and crumple a can wall? I mean it would make more sense to just buy can label wallpaper but :shrug:

Based on that dining room picture, you just leave the crumpled can in place forever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I like to imagine the walls are actually freestanding and you're one trip or slammed door away from them all falling apart.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Building walls out of beer cans is like building with these bricks. https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/erlvsq/id_say_these_look_pretty_unsafe_to_use/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 30, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

if you want to build out of beer containers, the Heineken brick bottle is a much better choice

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-heineken-bottles-were-square-62138490/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

With mismatched outlet directions too, I wonder what else is hosed up?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe there are structural concerns, but those three windows with the dummy thicc pillars betwixt them are silly. Give me one big window.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Tag yourself. I'm the opening for the dishwasher that's way too wide

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm the unsatisfyingly thin board enclosing the dishwasher space.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I'm the lightbulb with the ac plug on the end

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Im the haphazard can light placement

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm the two light switches on different walls within a foot of each other.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm the hanging lamps that are nearly at counter level

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Stick construction is stupid and dumb at the best of times, but California really takes it to the next level

Stick construction is fine, but in north america they make real bad examples of it.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Imagine being a landless serf who can't build his home from 100+ year old timbers :agesilaus:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm the.. wait, where's the sink? :confuoot:

I guess it's that silver blip on the back counter, but it looks laughably small for a kitchen sink, perspective be damned. Looks like they haven't installed a faucet yet either, or they installed it on the left side and picked a fixture small enough to be obscured by a lightbulb. Nevermind the fact that the sink and the stove should be swapped.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the opening for the dishwasher that's way too wide

By popular demand posted:

I'm the unsatisfyingly thin board enclosing the dishwasher space.

..I think that's a mini fridge.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zamujasa posted:

i'm the hanging lamps that are nearly at counter level

Now, that's some high-level trolling by the electricians (as if)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kid sinister please post the listing, I have to see the rest of the house.

I could almost understand most of the lovely choices here with the exception of those pendant lights. What the gently caress??

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bees on Wheat posted:

..I think that's a mini fridge.

Oh poo poo it is, I have one of those at work

This has to be some weird basement rental conversion or something.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sirotan posted:

kid sinister please post the listing, I have to see the rest of the house.

I could almost understand most of the lovely choices here with the exception of those pendant lights. What the gently caress??

Sorry, it was just a singular post off of Reddit.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

That poo poo's all photoshopped up, come on guys.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yoooooo unless you live in a different California than I do, "classic mid-century California houses" isn't the loving pinnacle of construction you seem to think it is. As a transplant to California, I can confirm that as lovely and dumb as US housing is in general, California is worse. Ten loving times worse. Because guess what, in an environment that isn't rough on houses in the least, it turns out their builders will cut corners (literally) that would border on criminal in other states that have weather. California houses, ESPECIALLY the ones thrown up after the war, are little more than lovely wooden tents. Sheathing, proper insulation, guarding against water entry? Who gives a poo poo, it's never gonna rain, just throw that sucker up and move the gently caress on. The house I was living in a few years ago was in a development (built in the mid-50s) where it was well-known that the developer would put down the rebar for a house's slab pour, get it inspected and passed, then promptly move the rebar to the next house's foundation and pour the first house's slab. Cue every house in the neighborhood having huge settling and cracking issues because, y'know, there was no loving reinforcement in their slabs. (And I mean this settling happened while I was living in it after a whole bunch of rain in one El Nino year, it wasn't because of Loma Prieta 30 years ago).

Stick construction is stupid and dumb at the best of times, but California really takes it to the next level, and it's some cosmic joke poo poo that THESE houses are now the ones worth millions, when they were constructed out of twigs and tape and wouldn't last one loving winter in the Northeast, or through one hurricane in the Southeast, or one twister in the Midwest (to be fair, no US house would withstand a direct hit from a tornado). My house now was built in the 70s and the ONLY good thing that can be said about it is it's really easy to run wires through because there's just nothing there to block you. For fucks sake, the siding has vertical channels in it to add visual texture, and the builders just slapped trim boards over the siding around the windows and doors. Yes, that's right, so now there's vertical channels running down behind trim boards, right above windows, perfect for funneling water right down next to the window frame and having it sit there. Caulk? Whatever for? The house will burn down from the Federal Pacific breaker panel long before it has a chance to rot.

(Also, "classic" mid-century? What is with Californians' absurd idea that a 70 year old building is "classic" and needs preserving? Massachusetts has 200-year-old houses that don't qualify as historic because who cares, there's another five down the block, and the thread literally just talked about 600 year old houses in Germany).

Anyway I really hate California houses, if that wasn't clear.

Southern California homeowner here, originally from the northeast. It really blew my loving mind when I realized there was no sheathing and the frame is just wrapped in 14 gauge wire every 12", then covered in house wrap paper, and then stucco on top.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FogHelmut posted:

Southern California homeowner here, originally from the northeast. It really blew my loving mind when I realized there was no sheathing and the frame is just wrapped in 14 gauge wire every 12", then covered in house wrap paper, and then stucco on top.

Wait, what?? It's just the framing and then some sort of paper/wrap and stucco? No ply or boards? Where does the house get any sheer strength?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Wait, what?? It's just the framing and then some sort of paper/wrap and stucco? No ply or boards? Where does the house get any sheer strength?

I imagine that the 14 gauge wire every 12" gives it lateral strength. Still not something I'd ever heard of, let alone seen, before.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Baronjutter posted:

From hopes and dreams

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Diagonal braces lapped over the studs can give sheer strength as an alternative to plywood. Maybe that's what you meant by "boards". I can't imagine that builders would rely on wire alone for strength; I'm pretty sure the wire is just meant to give the stucco something to hold onto. That said, I'm more used to seeing chicken wire or something that looks like it -- a grid of fine wire, anyway. So who knows what's going on down there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FogHelmut posted:

Really handy if you ever need to escape but can't get to a door or window tho. Just punch your way through the drywall to freedom.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

Sloppy posted:

That poo poo's all photoshopped up, come on guys.

There might be some photoshop elsewhere in that photo but I’m gonna call the pendant lights as real because each one has a reflection in the backsplash tile at the same level, on each wall

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Those pendant lamps are supposed to have a second hanger that suspends them center over the middle of the countertop. The extra cord gets looped in some way to keep them at the right height.

It probably hasn't been done yet because they were repainting the ceiling, of what is probably a garbage basement-level apartment.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I read somewhere that code only required (requires?) sheathing or sheer boards on/near corners of the house.

Proteus Jones posted:

I imagine that the 14 gauge wire every 12" gives it lateral strength. Still not something I'd ever heard of, let alone seen, before.

I went and measured, its 5" not 12". Hadn't really looked at it in a while.

Diagonal braces lapped over the studs can give sheer strength as an alternative to plywood. Maybe that's what you meant by "boards". I can't imagine that builders would rely on wire alone for strength; I'm pretty sure the wire is just meant to give the stucco something to hold onto. That said, I'm more used to seeing chicken wire or something that looks like it -- a grid of fine wire, anyway. So who knows what's going on down there.

The wire is on the studs. The paper is over the wire. The stucco lath (its probably off the shelf chicken wire and not actual lath) is over the paper with 3 layers of stucco.

Here is an exposed section in my garage. Stucco is right on the other side of that paper.

One positive is that the house breathes and the stucco doesn't rot out all of the sheathing like many recently built homes in the northeast are finding out.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 30, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MRC48B posted:

Those pendant lamps are supposed to have a second hanger that suspends them center over the middle of the countertop. The extra cord gets looped in some way to keep them at the right height.

It probably hasn't been done yet because they were repainting the ceiling, of what is probably a garbage basement-level apartment.

Nah, you're supposed to trim the wire to the desired height when you install them. I can only assume what you see there is the cord length out of the factory and it was literally babbys first light fixture install. Or the flipper was just a moron. Possibly both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Jesus, I thought the wire and wrap chat was just a joke that some people ran with