Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Drewsky posted:

I think 9.

9, but backwards. No eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Good call, never think of them as having eyes

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Predator being about the titular monsters wanting to give themselves autism as a superpower was certainly... a choice.
the 2 major plotlines of the movie are autism as a superpower and a compassionate predator trying to deliver a super battle suit to protect the human race because climate change is going to destroy it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have to try watching that movie sober sometime. I bet it's more of a wild ride.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I forgot how loving hard it is to kill Working Joes in this game.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/HKYCbCk.mp4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Snailien.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/sinkevitch/status/1311775396975706112?s=21

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I forgot how loving hard it is to kill Working Joes in this game.

Same. I became so loving scared of them I ghosted them all and didn't realize I was doing it until an achievement popped up for doing so in Comms.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was in a weed shop (only went in to get directions how to get away from there) and I saw this beauty on the wall.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They remind me of that medical boot you have to wear if you gently caress your foot up.

Floodixor posted:

I actually just graduated out of it. I found that when I wore it in public and was clomping around, people treated me as if I was a late-stage cancer patient and were super nice
In Man On Wire, he talks about scouting the WTC construction site and halfway through he broke his leg doing something else. From that point on people couldn't be more helpful. "Poor dear, here let me hold open this secure door in this skyscraper construction site, you poor damaged rando." Obv, 1970s which is not the paranoid Hell we live in. They only had a 100x murder rate to deal with, and as a consequence $300/mo rent on 2000sqft lofts on like, Houston and Elizabeth. Trade places in a second.

Sunswipe posted:

There was a ZX Spectrum game of Alien where who you played as, who was infected with the Alien and who was the android was randomised each time you played. Put that into a The Thing game along with decent trust mechanics and a variety of win states (successfully kill all Things with all remaining humans tested as human, destroy the whole base, kill everything so you know that the only thing alive is human, etc) and you could have an amazing game. Of course, I'm not games developer, but I've come up with the idea so if anyone wants to use my precious ideas, I'd happily settle for 10% of gross sales.

Splicer posted:

I'd play it as a board game

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226634/thing-infection-outpost-31

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 3, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Same. I became so loving scared of them I ghosted them all and didn't realize I was doing it until an achievement popped up for doing so in Comms.

I started experimenting once I ran out of shotgun shells and figured out stun baton + melee can gently caress them up real nice if you do it right. SO that was cool to figure out at least. I'm trying to remember to use my entire arsenal this playthrough.

But man, fuuuuucccckkk that space mall level or whatever it's called when you first "ditch" the alien after you get through the airlock part.

That map is a loving mess. So many rooms and hallways look exactly the same and the single tiny areas that do actually branch out are real easy to miss. There are shuttered doors that you can't tell if they open or not without walking right up to them and even then the environment they reveal looks exactly the same as the last place you were in. Vents lead you around in a circle to a previous area.

I've been loving around with this level for 2.5 hours now. I don't like it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

BiggerBoat posted:

I started experimenting once I ran out of shotgun shells and figured out stun baton + melee can gently caress them up real nice if you do it right. SO that was cool to figure out at least. I'm trying to remember to use my entire arsenal this playthrough.

But man, fuuuuucccckkk that space mall level or whatever it's called when you first "ditch" the alien after you get through the airlock part.

That map is a loving mess. So many rooms and hallways look exactly the same and the single tiny areas that do actually branch out are real easy to miss. There are shuttered doors that you can't tell if they open or not without walking right up to them and even then the environment they reveal looks exactly the same as the last place you were in. Vents lead you around in a circle to a previous area.

I've been loving around with this level for 2.5 hours now. I don't like it.

Hey, I was the same way when I played the game for the first time; lost, a little frustrated and kind of bored. But, after I came back to it a few weeks later, I was loving hooked and finished the whole thing. Once you get your bearings, it really is a fantastic game.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I believe in you BiggerBoat :cabot:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

thinkin about aliens versus predator versus terminator after lurking the horror thread in cd

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

Hey, I was the same way when I played the game for the first time; lost, a little frustrated and kind of bored. But, after I came back to it a few weeks later, I was loving hooked and finished the whole thing. Once you get your bearings, it really is a fantastic game.

It's not my first time playing it and I agree it's amazing. I just loving hated that god damned Spacemall level, mainly due to the layout.

I played it on release for a while, made it maybe 8 hours in (about where I am now I think), then I got divorced, got sidetracked with life and sold my 360. I dug the game just didn't have time for it.

When I found out there was an Xbone version and my kid wanted it, I picked it up cheap. The load times are way better and the graphics seem to run smoother now but I've forgotten more than I remember about the game and am focusing on using my gadgets more this time. But speaking of that, how come my stun baton and EMP mine doesn't work in the Joes anymore? They're wearing some hooded suit so maybe that's it but I stabbed one in the face with the baton and it still didn't work. Just when I finally figured out how to gently caress them up (stun baton + melee) without using the shotgun. I guess they're upgraded versions now. :shrug:

Dicks.

I really love the use of directional and ambient sound in this game too and how it encourages you to use that feedback to your advantage.

Really sucks that it didn't sell because a (slightly more combat oriented) sequel or even using the engine for a different franchise would be awesome. Having more aliens and maybe being able to kill them would be cathartic; not to the :shoot em up" degree of Aliens but a game where you can take a bitch or five down here and there. Instead, we got some lovely mobile game.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Played it on PS4, and I loved how the motion detector would alert via the controller speaker, and using it would turn the light green for additional ambience if you were playing in a dark room.

More games really needed to use those controller features.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Biplane posted:

I believe in you BiggerBoat :cabot:

It's not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks.

Iron Crowned posted:

Played it on PS4, and I loved how the motion detector would alert via the controller speaker, and using it would turn the light green for additional ambience if you were playing in a dark room.

More games really needed to use those controller features.

I think I heard if you were playing with the Kinect, the alien would react if you moved or made noise. Seem to remember someone posting that, like, their kid or their wife came in the room and hosed up their hiding spot or something which is hilarious.

Wonder if it can hear you crack a beer or do a bong rip?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 6, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

thinkin about aliens versus predator versus terminator after lurking the horror thread in cd

That is a Bad Comic, do not read it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks.

I think I heard if you were playing with the Kinect, the alien would react if you moved or made noise. Seem to remember someone posting that, like, their kid or their wife came in the room and hosed up their hiding spot or something which is hilarious.

Wonder if it can hear you crack a beer or do a bong rip?

Yeah that was me probably. Microphone connected to the ps4 picked up the sound of my son walking into the living room at night yelling DADDY, the alien tore me out of a closet and destroyed me, and I had a mild heart attack.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are you sure your kid isn't a xenomorph?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are you sure your kid isn't a xenomorph?

A question we should be asking more

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Evidently they designed VR support into it but stripped it out prior to launch. Fan patches added it in and it's supposedly one of the most anxiety-inducing things ever. An early review I read had the author making GBS threads his pants in terror hiding in a locker as the alien searched for him. He cranes his head various ways, trying to peek through the slats on the locker and see if the coast is clear. He moves his head slightly too far forward, which bumps into the door and alerts the alien to his presence and it proceeds to rip him out of the locker and eat him. The attention to small detail in that game is so good.

Agreed that the Joes are the most terrifying part of that game, though. My first encounter I thought "heh, I've played plenty of stealth games. I'll sneak up and brain him with the wrench". That faded quickly as the Joe spun around and broke my neck while calmly informing me that I was becoming hysterical.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So (Alien: Isolation) I'm in the reactor core basement part where the facehuggers first show up and alien reappears and I'm a little confused.

Is that the same creature, a different one or is that just never explained? I read and listened to the logs where it says that preserve the specimen is the primary objective but how the gently caress did the alien get all the way down there? In my head, I'm thinking of it as a different creature but I guess the robots and the computers could have broken contain and allowed her down to build a nest.

Really cool to see the face huggers show up. I never made it that far on my first run and, man, that level is creepy as poo poo. Very unnerving.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There’s more than one Alien

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The one that corners you in the escape pod gets blown out into space. Up until this point you're meant to assume there's one alien hunting you all around Sevastopol, but the truth is there are multiple aliens. How many isn't exactly clear, but at one point there are multiple wandering around at once because you obviously weren't scared enough.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BiggerBoat posted:

So (Alien: Isolation) I'm in the reactor core basement part where the facehuggers first show up and alien reappears and I'm a little confused.

Is that the same creature, a different one or is that just never explained? I read and listened to the logs where it says that preserve the specimen is the primary objective but how the gently caress did the alien get all the way down there? In my head, I'm thinking of it as a different creature but I guess the robots and the computers could have broken contain and allowed her down to build a nest.

Really cool to see the face huggers show up. I never made it that far on my first run and, man, that level is creepy as poo poo. Very unnerving.

In a nutshell, the most logical conclusion is:

Marlow's wife/patient zero either gave birth to a queen, or a normal Alien who egg-morphed some of its early victims. They took up residence in the reactor and predictable results ensued over the days that followed. The one you try to trap in the Systech Spire and is ultimately sealed/doomed in the ejected lab is just one that's hanging out there. It's possible the one in the SciMed tower was a different one entirely who took a nap for a few hours, and where you are now you've released a bunch of others who were sealed in the reactor/content to chill out there until they had to GTFO from the purge.

And yes, the Joes around Apollo/Engineering are wearing protective gear, hence their immunity to your electrical stuff.

Never has a game felt so wrong for unlocking areas - every time Amanda opens a brace or sealed vent, or cuts open an access panel, I can't help but think "yo, all this poo poo was sealed up for a reason lady..."

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Sentinel Red posted:

In a nutshell, the most logical conclusion is:

Marlow's wife/patient zero either gave birth to a queen, or a normal Alien who egg-morphed some of its early victims. They took up residence in the reactor and predictable results ensued over the days that followed. The one you try to trap in the Systech Spire and is ultimately sealed/doomed in the ejected lab is just one that's hanging out there. It's possible the one in the SciMed tower was a different one entirely who took a nap for a few hours, and where you are now you've released a bunch of others who were sealed in the reactor/content to chill out there until they had to GTFO from the purge.

And yes, the Joes around Apollo/Engineering are wearing protective gear, hence their immunity to your electrical stuff.

Never has a game felt so wrong for unlocking areas - every time Amanda opens a brace or sealed vent, or cuts open an access panel, I can't help but think "yo, all this poo poo was sealed up for a reason lady..."

One of my biggest jumpscare deaths was while blowtorching through a panel. I think I'd assumed that the world around you paused while you did those kinds of minigame tasks, but nope! All of a sudden the alien's tail burst straight through my chest. I'd heard it was close and figured I might be dead once the blowtorch sequence was over, but I had no idea it could actually kill you halfway through.

Another was when I'd checked a computer while the coast was clear, turned left after exiting and was face-to-face with the xeno. I can't remember if you can die while actually using the computer, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Or the vents. They're usually a shortcut between rooms where you're safe from human or robotic enemies. You do hear the alien running around in them but they're always ceiling vents that it spawns in and out of, so I figured that was a cosmetic noise and the vents were a safe place to travel. Nope. I'm crawling through a vent, turn a corner and the alien is right in my face waiting on me. drat near pissed myself.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Wild T posted:

Or the vents. They're usually a shortcut between rooms where you're safe from human or robotic enemies. You do hear the alien running around in them but they're always ceiling vents that it spawns in and out of, so I figured that was a cosmetic noise and the vents were a safe place to travel. Nope. I'm crawling through a vent, turn a corner and the alien is right in my face waiting on me. drat near pissed myself.

Paging Xenomrph, please post the A:I video of vent alien.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Voting Floater posted:

One of my biggest jumpscare deaths was while blowtorching through a panel. I think I'd assumed that the world around you paused while you did those kinds of minigame tasks, but nope! All of a sudden the alien's tail burst straight through my chest. I'd heard it was close and figured I might be dead once the blowtorch sequence was over, but I had no idea it could actually kill you halfway through.

Another was when I'd checked a computer while the coast was clear, turned left after exiting and was face-to-face with the xeno. I can't remember if you can die while actually using the computer, but it wouldn't surprise me.

That's amazing.

haha I am never going to pick that game up again reading things like this, but I have tremendous respect for it. Please make another Alien game with that incredible environment / art direction but make it coward-friendly, Sega, tia

(I'll probably pick it up again, I just need to play with the lights on and the surround sound off :v:)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

That is a Bad Comic, do not read it.

I did not heed your advice, I thought it would be good.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It features clone Ripley and Call from Resurrection

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sigourney Weaver turns 71 today! Holy shitballs!

Here's a photo from her 1968 yearbook:

Here she is relaxing with a nice massage:

Happy B-day you goddamn badass Mama Bear!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: in the extended cut of ‘Aliens’ when Burke tells Ripley about her daughter’s fate, the photo he shows her is a photo of Sigourney Weaver’s real-life mother.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My biggest jump scare death was running from some joes, and I didn't know the Alien could grab you from the ceiling.
So doing my best Doom guy impression with a pistol but realizing I don't have enough ammo for them all, I turn to run, empty corridor, corner up ahead, turn it, door to freedom within my grasp.
Then YOINK!
Brian Glover'ed.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

happyhippy posted:

My biggest jump scare death was running from some joes, and I didn't know the Alien could grab you from the ceiling.
So doing my best Doom guy impression with a pistol but realizing I don't have enough ammo for them all, I turn to run, empty corridor, corner up ahead, turn it, door to freedom within my grasp.
Then YOINK!
Brian Glover'ed.

If the ceiling's a droolin', best not be foolin'

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In the original Alien movie the android got instructions to make sure the xenomorph got back to his masters why didn't he just, like, immediately vent the atmosphere of the ship and kill all the crew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Because the A2s always were a bit twitchy.

Seriously, most of Ash's behavior seems to be summed up as "he's a robot who is very neurotic about being a robot". Evidently the reason they had him try to shove the rolled-up porno magazine down Ripley's throat is because of his anxiety about not having a working robot penis.