Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

punishedkissinger posted:

this is kinda cool and i don't even care that it only half works

Sure, it was very cool in 2012 when EQ2 did it.

But nothing SC does is new or impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

It’s been fun to watch them walk back all of their promises of “physicalized” everything. The cargo decks were originally supposed to be these fully functioning industrial areas, where all of your cargo was unloaded off of your ship and NPCs and players would be handling complex machinery. Now it’s just more pointless/functionless space, where I guess you can pick up cargo missions, which you could previously do anywhere.

right, because it's obviously an insane and endless rabbit hole. no level of physicalized anything will be good enough because there's always some constituent component that needs to be in place before you can build the next thing.

like, okay, whose the guy that fills the big ben's noodle cup dispenser back up? who is his supplier? where is his ship and warehouse?
where do the ships get stored when you store them? What happens to that cargo you dropped off 9 hours ago?
where are the kegs for the space beer, obviously full of liquid? where do they get all of the hair to make a hairy roberts?

for those following along at home, the answers are obviously:
doesnt exist, doesnt exist, doesnt exist
doesnt exist, doesnt exist,
doesnt exist, chris roberts' backside.

do the elevators actually move from point A to point B, or does the box you're standing in just teleport? if it's the former, then why is it good enough for that to be "real" but the rest so fake?
if it's the latter, isn't that the same smoke and mirrors literally every game uses? the cognitive dissonance is bewildering.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

punishedkissinger posted:

this is kinda cool and i don't even care that it only half works

Robbaz did the best vid on it imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-c78SURpI

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

What's that? Uh sure umm I guess uh it's like ok to put the mansion in a trust in your uhh name.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CrazyArtisticGodwit-mobile.mp4

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

This is the poo poo

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Montoya is the only clownshoe in this whole fiasco that I actually dislike, I have a soft spot for pretty much everyone else but something creeps me out about that dude

Have the same sentiment, It is probably the fact he knows well he is full of poo poo and yet he has absolutely no remorse when applying all his disingenuous crap into those videos. I mean at least Bored Gamer and the others believe their own hype for the most part.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
talk about a cargo cult

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

\o/ yay!

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

Why does it simply "appear"? Shouldn't it be drawn from storage through a real elevator from the ship storage area? And all of the ships are loaded by RSI super tugs into the storage module where you can work as a warehouse worker to load and unload ships and cargo all day to earn enough credits to become captain of your own ship?

I thought this was supposed to be physicalized inventory!!

I thought SC wasn't fake?

Got a point. :golfclap:

I'm actually pretty pissed that clicking the spawn button doesn't create an order in the massive economy system which creates jobs for NPCs and people to go none for raw material, and then a factory to build that, a ship to deliver it, and then I see it arrive for real.

This "spawn" bullshit is real kids game level poo poo that shouldn't be in SC.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beexoffel posted:

Thanks for this info! So there are other ways than motion capture to capture motion. I had been blinded by SC marketing and forget to consider other options.
I could have known after watching Keep your hands off Eizouken...

There's tons of ways.

I have personally done stuff with blender where you can put some video reference on a plane or something and keyframe an animation based off of the video. It looks totally fine and didn't cost me millions of dollars or months cleaning up motion capture data and key framing minute details anyhow.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
FOIP is another great thing CIG integrated because it was not their creation. It was a plug-in another company made for them that they could put into their ever growing list of random things to add to their smorgasbord of content.

Probably the big issue with FOIP is that their systems are already struggling to get their network load in order, and instead of working on improving it they add in FOIP that is counter to the goal of a good gameplay experience.

But as noted, it looks cool. This is kind of the only requirement SC actually has to getting something built vs delayed indefinitely.

Does it look cool? Will it possibly help to sell more items? Will it help to look like we made progress?

So you have a mostly broken game, sprinkled with a bunch of interesting features.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 1, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

FOIP is another great thing CIG integrated because it was not their creation. It was a plug-in another company made for them that they could put into their ever growing list of random things to add to their smorgasbord of content.

Probably the big issue with FOIP is that their systems are already struggling to get their network load in order, and instead of working on improving it they add in FOIP that is counter to the goal of a good gameplay experience.

But as noted, it looks cool. This is kind of the only requirement SC actually has to getting something built vs delayed indefinitely.

Does it look cool? Will it possibly help to sell more items? Will it help to look like we made progress?

So you have a mostly broken game, sprinkled with a bunch of interesting features.

Anything they can smash in to give the illusion of progress.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Montoya is the only clownshoe in this whole fiasco that I actually dislike, I have a soft spot for pretty much everyone else but something creeps me out about that dude

bbchops posted:

I could live without the massively misogynistic and racist Norwegian guy.

I don't know if you guys are talking about Indigo Montoya or just making GBS threads on citizens. If it's Indigo Montoya, then you have tp understand that he has dedicated his entire life to the sword. He has trained drunk, trained left handed, trained while starving, etc. He trained with the sword in every possible condition and with every possible swordmaster, just so he can kill the cocksucker that took his dad out. That's why Montoya seems "weird."

But if you guys are just dunking on unlikeable citizens then please throw that creep WTFasaurus on the List. I really don't like him. He always seemed like a weirdo but when he tried to rage gently caress that lady streamer on halloween or whatever I instantly began to hate him.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

HexiDave posted:

This nightmare scenario is entirely their fault, and it's exactly what's going to happen forever if the game were to release.

I mean the PvP thing (who was the spectrum citizen who was like... psychotically afraid of pvp?) always will bring that out. Even without that hilarity, though, this thing they think will change the world would be the most boring poo poo to engage with.

Their legendary bounty hunter, fresh from taking out a high value target... has to land, pay the docking fee manually by talking to an NPC, carry the body to the train station, wait for ten minutes, catch a fifteen minute train ride to the city, hail a spacetaxi, load the body into the trunk, get in the taxi, wait through traffic for 20 minutes, get out, pay the fare, remove the body, wait in line for the processing NPC, record his details on form 287-A, drop the body off, wait for verification and payment, find somewhere to eat, use the bathroom, trek all the way back to his ship, mix a cold Hairy Roberts, sit down at his spacedesk to manually pay his spacebills, hand-reload ordnance into the ship... and nine hours of real time play later he's ready to sleep for the day in his hilariously designed bedroom.

This sounds like an indie project game focusing on these specific interactions to show how much tedium gets abstracted away in real games.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mailer posted:

I mean the PvP thing (who was the spectrum citizen who was like... psychotically afraid of pvp?) always will bring that out. Even without that hilarity, though, this thing they think will change the world would be the most boring poo poo to engage with.

Their legendary bounty hunter, fresh from taking out a high value target... has to land, pay the docking fee manually by talking to an NPC, carry the body to the train station, wait for ten minutes, catch a fifteen minute train ride to the city, hail a spacetaxi, load the body into the trunk, get in the taxi, wait through traffic for 20 minutes, get out, pay the fare, remove the body, wait in line for the processing NPC, record his details on form 287-A, drop the body off, wait for verification and payment, find somewhere to eat, use the bathroom, trek all the way back to his ship, mix a cold Hairy Roberts, sit down at his spacedesk to manually pay his spacebills, hand-reload ordnance into the ship... and nine hours of real time play later he's ready to sleep for the day in his hilariously designed bedroom.

This sounds like an indie project game focusing on these specific interactions to show how much tedium gets abstracted away in real games.

Even the real-life equivalents of this kind of minutiae are bearable due to a million factors that can't be in a game. While waiting for a taxi you might smell coffee from a nearby cafe, or hear a song you haven't heard in years that makes you think of what was happening the last time you did hear it, you might overhear a goofy conversation, etc. In real life all those things matter because they're part of the tapestry of reality. Even things that appear to have nothing to do with you could be linked in some way, now or in the future. In Chris Roberts's mental defecation, nothing ever means anything or will mean anything except here's something he saw in a movie once and is reproducing wrong and badly.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I was thinking,
Even if SC comes out today with all the things they want working fine it will still just be a spaceship game with a limited audience. All this extra stuff they are spending on really doesn't have much appeal outside of handful of people and half will probably just want it removed after realizing walking around buying fake food and doing dumb jobs is boring, they could have just made a normal space ship game.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Mailer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F4OduqrtQ

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The CitCon is cancelled for this year, due to the COVID-19 impact which, at least for the developers of this nightmarish project must have been a great relief.

At least they won't have to crunch for weeks, dropping everything to make special builds on whatever pipe dream Crobbler had with sandworms and space wormholes. Especially since this year, with all the fierce competition from Squadrons, No Man's Sky update(s), ED: Odyssey previews, Starfield potential leaks, they'd have to go bonkers to output a comparatively impressive fake demo (and then rehearse the scripting and fake gameplay of it).

Not to mention having to explain again what happened to all the stuff they showed last year as coming soon, that they did not complete and are nowhere near finished or at a decent level of development.

However:

quote:

Despite these unfortunate and unforeseeable circumstances, we plan to celebrate our community with events in the ‘verse throughout the year. And we still plan to celebrate Star Citizen’s birthday on October 10, but doing so digitally. This will not be a virtual CitizenCon, but it will be an online celebration with our community. So, stay tuned for updates on that in the near future.

Have they celebrated the community this year at all?
And also, considering the upcoming birthday, what is the accepted "age" of Star Citizen these days?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thoatse posted:

What's that? Uh sure umm I guess uh it's like ok to put the mansion in a trust in your uhh name.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CrazyArtisticGodwit-mobile.mp4

Didn't know you could get a catte in perverted geezer model.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

AbstractNapper posted:

Have they celebrated the community this year at all?
Well, there were ship sales and I guess there will be some new ship sales. I mean that's what this community and game is about. Buying ships and getting new titles to show how much you've spent on ships. You're not part of a community unless, as Montoya says, you can say 'yes' to his question "Who else here is an adult with disposable income that can buy spaceships when ever they want?"

The Titanic posted:

It's Potemkin village of a game. It's shiny on surface, but everything underneath is rotten and broken.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Mailer posted:

It shows that you're just a FUDspreading hater. You'll obviously pay some cheap idiot who didn't buy a ship with LTI to drag your corpses through the city. You'll just go to sauna to enjoy your Hairy Roberts with other concierge, while your corpse dragging slave mops your ship and carry the corpse in a train

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

shrach posted:

It has been a few months but it is time for CLOUD IMPERIUM UK LTD to once again gently caress about with its share capital.
The info hasn't been processed by Companies House yet but on the face of it, I think they have reduced the nominal share capital from 1.1million shares with a par value of nothing, to fewer, I don't know 100,000 shares maybe also with a par value of nothing.

There will be a statement about how they are good for all their debts and such to accompany this move. On the face of it this is another pointless move so maybe there is some point to it. The total share capital remains £117.158 apparently but perhaps some shares have changed hands.

Looking foward to another hazy glimps into world of financial engineering !

I'm surppised they dont have to write down the book value of the shares, im pretty sure here in Oz you have add up all your current assets less debts and report the book value of the shares. This info is not reported publicly though.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

peter gabriel posted:

I agree.

Not only is he extremly corn crobbled, he is also an aggresive meat head.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty great watching him try to spin everything negative they say, he's struggling though

Lol "even if they say it won't be out until 2025 i'm still buying ships because I have a certain gaming budget"

Just admitting he's a complete rube.

I gritted my teeth and watched that through.

What chris robberts really meant was!

Obviously it is just the rest of the world takeing it out of context!

Lots of money goning in = not a scam !

His zelous defence of SC really highlights the gaping wholes in logic you need to cover up to be happy with CIG.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MedicineHut posted:

Have the same sentiment, It is probably the fact he knows well he is full of poo poo and yet he has absolutely no remorse when applying all his disingenuous crap into those videos.

I bet good money that Montoya is some sort of sales person in real life. He gives me sleazy salesperson vibes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Recent news finally convinced me to buy that Chris Roberts Squadron-game as it now supports VR

seems like it's pre-loading already

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

DigitalPenny posted:

Looking foward to another hazy glimps into world of financial engineering !

I'm surppised they dont have to write down the book value of the shares, im pretty sure here in Oz you have add up all your current assets less debts and report the book value of the shares. This info is not reported publicly though.

They do have to show the price paid when shares are purchased from the company itself. So in their 2018 accounts they showed £111 of share capital with a share premium account of £16.7m. The first £100 of shares contributed £198k to that premium account. This is the difference between what is paid to the company for the shares and their par value.

When shares change hands between shareholders, the only thing that changes to the company itself is who owns the shares. There's no additional share premium etc because that's all unrelated to the company.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Look ma no legs

Just needs a co-pilot seat

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That looks like some bad photoshop.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What exactly is that supposed to be? Some kind of "speederbike"? A spaceship? A Mad Catz mouse?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

tuo posted:

What exactly is that supposed to be? Some kind of "speederbike"? A spaceship? A Mad Catz mouse?
Looks like torture device, more angular iron maiden. Stimpire is real.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:allears:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

That's not going to last long

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Should be moved to concern, imo

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

For a second I thought that the ending emoji was :huh:

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Another one from the crusading FUDsters

:argh:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Now that is a weird take for a Y-wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Star wars squadrons coming out tomorrow, reddit is going to be a warzone :allears: