Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

someone really liked Hans and Franz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AQE
Nov 5, 2011
This is a weird thing to fixate on, but Carville here refers to "future" Executive Order 9066. 9066 was the Executive Order establishing internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II. My first thought was that this was the 90s, so they were trying to be weird and edgy. (See the "Previous High Scores" ad for example) But with it being an alternate timeline, then I thought maybe they used it deliberately to point out that with no historical WWII, there was no internment, and due to time travel we're still in the 9000s for Executive Orders.

I don't know which one they were going for, I'd rather think the second one, but they didn't pick 9066 by chance.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

UnSmith posted:

Gauntlet is thrown down: I will find my copy of Yuri's Revenge, because I never throw ANYTHING away.

I found my discs but no serials

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

ThingOne posted:

The slaves are immune to mind control so if you ever have a lone Yuri causing you trouble you can always send them over to beat him to death with their shovels. I would always try to avoid killing slaves and do my best to get any freed ones back to my base for safekeeping because I felt sorry for them :smith:.

Same. Also, wow that sucks that the unique semi-hero units got patched to just use generic voice lines and even unit names.

Anyway, the game knows its an expansion and doesn't mess around, mission 2 and you have access to almost all of the Allies arsenal already. Its a solid map that is surprisingly large with a good amount to do in it and plenty of ways for both sides to attack, making for a solid brawl, hence the beefy 50 minute par time. Never thought to use Mirage Tanks though, always just had a death ball of like 20 Prism Tanks and slowly rolled across the map melting everything of Yuri's in sight.

As for the Battle Fortress, never really used it that often, mainly cause of the cost. Sure it could be effective, but to young me I always thought why build those when I could build more shiny Prism Tanks instead, so can't speak for their effectiveness one way or the other.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can't even find the files hidden anywhere, so if you have an original version of Yuri's Revenge, you have a theoretical gold mine on your hands.

Got my RA2 and YR disks still in their old jewel case, along side TS/Firestorm and 1 other future game right next to me, serial numbers and all. :toot:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think this may be the densest map in either version of the game - and it's the second level!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Poil posted:

Patching out the voices was such a dick move. :(

Sounds like a legal dispute, sadly.

The grinder is an "anti-repair bay". Since Yuri as a faction is expected to mind-control lots of other units, they serve as a way to turn those units into cash and free up your Yuri Clones again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Guys I'm starting to think this Yuri fella isn't a nice person.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, I don't think Yuri is a very goo- *psionic noises* good bowler. Comrade Yuri is an amazing human that deserves to lead us, all hail Yuri! He benevolently allows us one sport to be better than him in so we don't feel too bad compared to his greatness

All hail, kneel before Yuri!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I read somewhere that Yuri's personal insignia is based on the Hebrew spelling of his name, but if that's true then someone put the letters in reverse order and forgot the last one.

This ROY person is one crafty individual.
:shuckyes:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

battle fortresses own, with guardian GIs they are the premier anti-armor and anti-air defense unit for the Allies, and one of them with snipers/a navy seal loaded will negate an infinite amount of infantry swarms before they can do anything to your base. it's good to sprinkle them into your offensive forces with guardian GIs and a maybe a legionnaire for mobile anti-air and anti-apocalypse tank defense of your prism tanks. They offer all the fun antics of IFVs without blowing up from a mean look, so they're also a lot of fun with tesla troopers if you can get them, but the range and flexibility of guardian GI missiles is hard to beat. Seriously guardian GIs are broken against the AI if you know how to use them, and the battle fortress makes them mobile and immune to anti-infantry weapons.

while in numbers they can wrecking ball and win against prism tank and apocalypse tank groups, at the cost to load them up they're best used as defense and then combat support for whatever your main attack force is missing when you roll out. Just don't mistake their cost as justifying them as a solo operating unit, they get mind controlled the same as anyone else.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

The grinder is an "anti-repair bay". Since Yuri as a faction is expected to mind-control lots of other units, they serve as a way to turn those units into cash and free up your Yuri Clones again.

The whole Yuri army is just so different from the other factions that it really is a shame they didn't get a few missions to be shown off. Jobbo might have to do a skirmish or something to properly show them off.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
You know. Joe Kucan's directorial decision to just film Udo Kier's normal day to day life for the FMVs was inspired.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mokinokaro posted:

The whole Yuri army is just so different from the other factions that it really is a shame they didn't get a few missions to be shown off. Jobbo might have to do a skirmish or something to properly show them off.

Yeah they'll get shown off, there's enough unique stuff, and you don't truly appreciate their style of gameplay without playing as them.

Hank Morgan posted:

You know. Joe Kucan's directorial decision to just film Udo Kier's normal day to day life for the FMVs was inspired.

lol

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The slave miner (I don't think it's a spoiler to give its proper name) is such a neat concept and must've been a coding nightmare on this engine since nothing else really functions the way it does.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mokinokaro posted:

The slave miner (I don't think it's a spoiler to give its proper name) is such a neat concept and must've been a coding nightmare on this engine since nothing else really functions the way it does.

It was. Westwood's devs used to post on their forums back in the day about how hard it was to get working, particularly the slaves being freed by whoever destroyed the miner. It was almost cut.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

So if we traveled back in time does this mean carvel is commanding two sets of commanders, evas, and tanyas?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Dale-Taco posted:

So if we traveled back in time does this mean carvel is commanding two sets of commanders, evas, and tanyas?

Time travel in Red Alert definitely follows the "don't think about it too hard" rule.

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

Dale-Taco posted:

Yes, but one set of commander, Eva, and Tanya is busy doing what they did in the original timeline, fighting the Soviets who are still invading the US at the moment, and can't be freed up from that task for fear of having the Soviets take over the world the old fashioned way.

iwfan53 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 1, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if the two commanders ever meet it will cause the timeline to collapse. this is part of the backstory for charles barkley shut up and jam gaiden which you would know if you were a true gamer™

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bringing back Carville was the second best decision Westwood made in Red Alert 2. Though I could have sworn the last time I installed Red Alert 2 (EA/Origin version) the voice lines for the actors were still in this mission.

This is one of those missions that really teaches you that expansions start with the understanding that you beat the original game and the final mission is the level of understanding you need to go in with. Grand cannons are great but if you get distracted by the big boomy thing too early and try to use them as defense you're going to get overrun.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Re: recording at 800x600: as before, I suggest scaling the video up with nearest neighbor to 1600x1200 before uploading. The surest way to force Youtube maintain video quality - give it an input of 1080p or above!

cuc fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 1, 2020

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Man this map is far more massive than I remember.

Are freed slaves really immune to mind control? I seem to remember using them to clog up mind control units that have limited capacity, so you send one in before the Yuri clone which renders it effectivelty harmless and not targetting your battle fortress of seals.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Is it possible to load a battle fortress with crazy Ivans?

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is it possible to load a battle fortress with crazy Ivans?

If I recall correctly, when you have a Crazy Ivan selected, the interaction cursor becomes "plant a bomb on it" no matter what you're mousing over, even a friendly unit.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

keseph posted:

If I recall correctly, when you have a Crazy Ivan selected, the interaction cursor becomes "plant a bomb on it" no matter what you're mousing over, even a friendly unit.

You can put them in IFVs, at least. Of course, a self-destructing battle fortress wouldn't be all that useful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

You can put them in IFVs, at least. Of course, a self-destructing battle fortress wouldn't be all that useful.
Surely it would be five times as self-destructing and crazy?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Poil posted:

Surely it would be five times as self-destructing and crazy?

That's what I was hoping for.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Can you put an Engineer in the Battle Fortress and have him repair allied vehicles like with an IFV? If possible it could allow a BF to act both as a mobile AA and repair for a group of tank.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can you put a dog in a battle fortress to let it detect spies like you can with an IFV?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'll have to try out these combos at some point and report back, as I'm not 100% sure off-hand.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Battle Fortress's low HP means it needs to kill anything that looks at it, which is why it pairs so well with the Chrono Legionnaire. The big thing it does is give Allied high-damage-low-HP infantry some protection from the game's plethora of new instant-kill units. My go-to was always 4 Chronos and a Navy SEAL. Very expensive but two or three of them mixed in with a tank wave act as a huge force multiplier, especially if you go for big targets like Apocalypse tanks first.

Oh and the Executive Order 9066 thing is just someone being edgy. It's forgotten now but Red Alert 2 had some cringeworthy advertising - the one that sticks in my mind is the website having a "Casualties" counter that constantly went up as you explored it. Yuri's Revenge was actually held back from release by several months after 9/11 while EA apparently made Westwood take out a bunch of stuff; I've always wondered just what they cut.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Looking it up, wow, the Battle Fortress only has 600 HP. For reference the Apoc. Tank, which "only" costs 1750, has 800, while Rhino Tanks have 400hp for 900 credits. It does have armor on par with a Apoc. and Kirov's at least, which by the way have an insane 2000hp! Still, if you do somehow have the time and money to get a bunch of Chrono Legionnaires inside it, yeah, it becomes a lethal center point for your attack force. Kinda wish I thought of that back in the day, as said, always just looked at their price tag, shrugged, and built more bread and butter Prism Tanks instead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah the only cut content info on YR I can find is two units that never passed the concept stage a Yuri jumpjet trooper and a tank with a variation of the chrono legionnaires weapon

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think in the end the Battle Fortress was just too expensive to use, for a faction that already had lots of expensive units. The Guardian GI really fills a gap in the allied roster though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied X03: Operation: Power Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fmtXuWX3o
Operation: Power Play

With one of Yuri's major sources of funds cut off, its time we start rescuing more of the civilian population, starting with the city of Seattle, and essentially the rest of the west coast of the continental United States of America.

Seattle, Washington.

Objective: Destroy Yuri's Nuclear Silo.

Briefing: Now that we've destroyed Yuri's primary source of funds, the madman has decided to take a more direct approach. Yuri has set up a Nuclear Silo in Seattle and is using it to extort money and technical expertise from the MassiveSoft corporation. We must save the city and MassiveSoft from Yuri's nuclear threat.

Author's note: I like the idea behind this mission. The limited arsenal doesn't feel too restrictive (other than not having Mirage Tanks!) and the ebb & flow of the mission works well with the objective.

Name: Lt. Eva
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Name: Bob Bing
Aliases: None
Affiliation: None
Voiced/Played by: Rick Ginn

Owner of Massivesoft, Mr. Bing developed one of the most successful and widely used search engines known to man.

Sniper
RANGE: Extreme
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: AWP
COST: 600

This British infantry unit is equipped with a special long-range rifle useful in taking out enemy infantry units. Much better than regular GIs, the sniper gains tremendous range and power, killing off enemy infantry units with a single shot from well out of their range.

Author's Note: A very useful addition to the regular lineup, the Sniper originally being exclusive to the British faction in the original game. Placed in IFVs, these things can cause chaos against any unprepared infantry commander.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Yuri's plot to blackmail the city of Seattle has been thwarted. Your lightning-fast response prevented heavy losses to the population. Yuri will have to look elsewhere to fund his war effort."

Slower than Par Time: "Though Yuri has been driven from Seattle, the city paid a heavy price for your victory. Much of Seattle now lies in radioactive ruins, and the software market has been thrown into disarray."

*Additional Note*

Changed the final video to 1600x1200 as per suggestion from the thread. Let me know if its better or not.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 7, 2020

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

There isn't any audio from you, just the game. Is that intended?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Inglonias posted:

There isn't any audio from you, just the game. Is that intended?

Strange, I'll reupload it. Thanks for the heads up!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Should now be fixed

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Could've sworn that putting a dog inside an IFV gives it the machine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Huh, weird, garrisoning the Space Needle used to provide full map vision, what a weird thing to patch out. Anyway, short but sweet mission and a nice break from the slog of the last one. Never knew about the AI freaking out if you captured one of its Tech Power Plants though, that would have saved a lot of pain back in the day. One other thing to mention about the Virus unit, those clouds of gas left behind when she kills an infantry are super lethal to infantry, and any infantry killed by a poison cloud spawns a fresh one, so clustered infantry can be wiped out incredibly quickly if you are not careful. Not sure if that makes up for the lower range though, as Gattling Tanks and Towers already are a major deterrent to infantry swarms.

As for the mission, like how it is set up as a super weapon battle, complete with halved timers. Defiantly a mission designed to be wrapped up quick though, from the short par time, and honestly the moment Yuri's power goes down, just rushing his base can end things quick, which is unfortunate, as the map defiantly looks like it was set up to have a bunch of urban set piece battles. Still fun though.