Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

StormDrain posted:

don't do anything until you've talked to a your lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would buy a one foot spite strip from the neighbors old landlord and gently caress both landlords forever but I am not a normal person.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
[Fifteen minutes into my furnace service appointment]

HVAC Guy: You said you've lived here about a year? Did you have an inspection or anything?

gently caress

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

HVAC Guy: You said you've lived here about a year? Did you have an inspection or anything?

gently caress

Well, did you?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress

Big furnace, at it again!!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DoubleT2172 posted:

Well, did you?

I did, but he apparently didn't do a very good job. My induced draft assembly is leaking condensation and starting to corrode the metal panel below it, and if we hadn't caught it now, it probably would have dumped water all over the circuitry within a year.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Big furnace, at it again!!!

When will those fatcats let us catch a break!!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I did, but he apparently didn't do a very good job. My induced draft assembly is leaking condensation and starting to corrode the metal panel below it, and if we hadn't caught it now, it probably would have dumped water all over the circuitry within a year.

When will those fatcats let us catch a break!!

Sounds to me like the HVAC guy did catch a break.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sundae posted:

Sounds to me like the HVAC guy did catch a break.

Yup, Christmas presents are covered this year!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Help I feel like I'm getting roasted here!!

Is "normal condensation and corrosion from a healthy induced draft assembly pitched as a problem" a common hvac scam??

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

“literally everyone” posted:

Get a friggen lawyer
Found a lawyer in town I’m gonna call tomorrow! l’ll skip the freemium work line.

DaveSauce posted:

You could certainly buy the land if the owner is willing to sell it. He clearly thought the land wasn't even his to begin with since he let you build a fence on it, so no big loss (though don't underestimate people's stubbornness over mah propertah :argh:). Could always pitch it to him as lower property taxes since he'll own less land.

Or you might be able to get an easement written up that allows you to pave a driveway that is part-way on his land. Bonus if you can get a fence too, but at that point he may as well just sell the land.

In all cases you'll need a lawyer to help sort out the actual status of the land, and what you can/cannot do about it. Honestly it's probably not even worth contacting the owner before you have a lawyer look at it. No sense in trying to buy land if it's already yours, or if there's already an easement on it.

Whatever happens, keep multiple copies of any paperwork within reach once the dust settles. Someone's going to move in later and see an old deed or survey or something and try to do something stupid like tear down your fence. The quicker you can show them something official-looking, the sooner you can stop them before they wreck poo poo.

edit:

The more I think about it, the more you probably want to fight for at LEAST an easement if one doesn't already exist. If it's narrow enough where it's hard to get a car through, then without an easement there's nothing stopping your neighbor from building a fence. I mean, boundary fences generally require approval of the neighbor, but I dunno how far it needs to be before it no longer requires your approval.

Last thing I want to do is establish any unfavorable precedence. Literally this whole fence and driveway thing came about because when I bought the house, the sellers claimed in the contract that there was an easement on the alley (which was split 50/50 when vacated by the village) for me to access the garage. A few years went by no problem and then the neighbor started parking in it, blocking me from access. So I thought I’d do the polite thing and talk to him and say hey, you’re blocking me in, I kinda need to access my garage. However , the white trash open-carry dog-abusing chud next door said that half of the alley was his, and when I needed it I couldn’t find the actual easement paperwork (went to county map room and everything). I suspect no easement actually exists. So, in an effort to not cause conflict I figured I could excavate the raised garden beds next to the house, widen the alley so I have enough room to use it as a driveway (planning with the original 2013 survey pins), and just not even gently caress around having a single wheel over the line. Told the neighbor what I was planning, he seemed fine with it, and got a letter from the property owner okaying the fence construction within 6” of the property line, and got my permits and variance approval from the village. Sorry for ranting, I’m just really hopped up over this.

Dik Hz posted:

IANAL, but these are pretty worthless for anything other than letter writing. Get recommendations and get your own attorney.

Source: My partner is an attorney who used to be on one of these programs. She hated it because the program way oversold it. The clients of the program routinely thought they were getting a full custody litigation for their $15/month payment to the program. When in reality the program only covered an hour consult. And the clients who thought they were getting everything were understandably miffed when they found out they'd have to put up a 4-5 figure retainer to proceed.

I think a better way to proceed would be to ask any lawyers or lawyer-adjacent people (anyone who works in the courthouse, LEOs, etc.) that you know who they would use to help with a property line dispute. Lawyers spend a lot of time ranking other lawyers.

Your lawyer would be the best person to ask what documentation, notes, and pictures are best. No sense creating unnecessary work for yourself because asking your lawyer.
That is really good to know! I’ve used the program for helping create a will before, I was just hoping to get some initial advice and a recommendation for someone I can get on retainer to help me out. I only know enough about the legal system to know that I could do everything right, and still be turbofucked without the right advocate. I really hate getting this deep into it, but you guys have 110% convinced me that it’s better to do this sooner rather than later.

The surveyor reached out to me again today that they’re trying to figure out why I don’t have an extra couple of feet in the rear of the property from another vacated alley, but that strip is completely meaningless to me (especially with the fence already being installed), and I don’t want to accept any settlement with them outside of fixing the original lines. I don’t even want to talk to them again without consulting a lawyer now, so I just have to make like a dung beetle and get this ball of poo poo rolling.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Every tradesperson that comes into your house is gonna talk some poo poo on the previous tradesperson or the inspector, without fail.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is "normal condensation and corrosion from a healthy induced draft assembly pitched as a problem" a common hvac scam??

They should be able to show you clear and convincing pictures of the corrosion. Rust is not correct.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I generally assume any service person is trying to scam me into paying more than I absolutely need to for their own benefit

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

leftist heap posted:

Every tradesperson that comes into your house is gonna talk some poo poo on the previous tradesperson or the inspector, without fail.

Without fail. Why does this happen?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I forget who posted it, but big thanks to whoever suggested taking a loot at my homeowner's insurance to see if my deductible made any sense.

I upped it from $3k to $6k for quite a bit more coverage at a lower annual premium :hellyeah:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Without fail. Why does this happen?

A couple possible reasons:

- It makes them look more knowledgeable or trustworthy than the last guy. "Oh, this guy knows what he's talking about!"

- If it is something they're working on, it sets the stage for them to charge more (I have to fix that other guy's work) or blame any existing/new problems on the last guy.

- They don't know (yet) what unforeseen obstacles the last guy ran into, or what instructions the homeowner gave him to explicitly cut corners to reduce cost or accommodate some weird request.

- The last guy really was poo poo and did a poo poo job.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I guess it's just me that doesn't have that happen? It might be because I poo poo talk the place before they get the chance - PO and builder were both idiots.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've got a chimney sweep coming over today. Do I need to cover my brand new beige couch with something? It's right by the fireplace and kinda making me nervous.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I forget who posted it, but big thanks to whoever suggested taking a loot at my homeowner's insurance to see if my deductible made any sense.

I upped it from $3k to $6k for quite a bit more coverage at a lower annual premium :hellyeah:

If you don't have one already, I also recommend a really good insurance broker. They can save you tons of money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I've got a chimney sweep coming over today. Do I need to cover my brand new beige couch with something? It's right by the fireplace and kinda making me nervous.

If you don't have one already, I also recommend a really good insurance broker. They can save you tons of money.

I have found that I never regretted having a box of 10'x100' of low mil (1 or 3) plastic on hand for things like this. Don't be a sucker and buy the little individual sheets of it in the painting section.

I would also have a frank talk with them about how they contain the dust they are going to generate. Don't accept handwaives.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Do you have an au pair or nanny? If so, I think couch covering is the least of your concerns. Keep an eye out for penguins and carousel horses.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sundae posted:

Do you have an au pair or nanny? If so, I think couch covering is the least of your concerns. Keep an eye out for penguins and carousel horses.

A Mary Poppins joke? Nice.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Good thing I Love to Laugh

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I am nothing if not 50 years out of date.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I have found that I never regretted having a box of 10'x100' of low mil (1 or 3) plastic on hand for things like this. Don't be a sucker and buy the little individual sheets of it in the painting section.

I would also have a frank talk with them about how they contain the dust they are going to generate. Don't accept handwaives.
I had some big plastic sheets left over from painting the walls, so I covered the couch. Ended up being a moot point, as they used their own sheets and moved my furniture out of the way. The chimney sweepers upsold me to a deep cleaning, because apparently the regular cleaning only covers 5 feet in? That didn't make a lick of sense to me, and I won't be using them again. There was definitely some build up, so I'm glad I got it cleaned. The gas starter definitely need some.. work though.

Sundae posted:

I was genuinely confused for a second, as I've never seen the movie.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

I was genuinely confused for a second, as I've never seen the movie.

:sigh: Kids these days... if I had a lawn, I'd tell you to get off it. :v:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

From Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The missus tried to change a light bulb before I got up this morning and discovered the ceiling lights were installed with... adhesive?

Oh well, it's one of those crappy ceiling titties.

Anyone particularly fond of their bedroom ceiling lights and want to make a recommendation?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The missus tried to change a light bulb before I got up this morning and discovered the ceiling lights were installed with... adhesive?

Oh well, it's one of those crappy ceiling titties.

Anyone particularly fond of their bedroom ceiling lights and want to make a recommendation?

Do you have enough height for a fan? Around my part of town, fans are a necessity for bedrooms. If not, I just got done installing a flush LED fixture in the gaming den that I'm pretty happy with. If it's for your bedroom, you can even get one that connects to blue tooth so you can dim the lights and set custom lights and all that fun stuff.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Malcolm in the Middle is one of my all time favorite shows and this is one of my favorite clips. It speaks to me on a very deep level

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seconding a fan! Fairly simply to DIY - drill a 4” hole in the ceiling, buy a joist bracket, twist it up into the hole and expand it against the joists, and boom, you’ve got a secure mount for a fan, a box for the wiring, and you’re ready to install. Hunter fans are real nice, and around a hundo bucks when I put in five of them in six years ago. Avoid candleabra bulb ones, get the torchiere light type so you’re not buying 4x 50$ Phillips hue bulbs per fan when you wanna automate poo poo

E: have a viddya:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JJLLdyFH0

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 5, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Our bedroom has an 8 lamp chandelier from the 70s, complete with crystals, the guest bedroom has a fan, the office got a Costco flush mount LED light. All depends on what you like.

There are so many options out there, the only bad ones to me are the cheapest ones at the box store. I personally love the fixtures at Lamps Plus, although they can be expensive. As said above be aware of what lamps the fixtures take, I do like the LED fixtures with permanent lamps. Also was impressed by one that can change color temp by fast flicking the switch.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
so i only rent a full house but I need home owner knowledge...

i have what, after some clicking around seems to be a common thing: carpet beetles. my gf was freaked the gently caress out after having some bad bite marks, thought we (somehow) got bed bugs. no loving clue how bed bugs could get in with us going nowhere.

so we flipped the mattress and found 3 total little guys under there on the struts of the frame, killed 2 and caught the other. Seems like they moved pretty slow...im 95 % sure its carpet beetles looking at the one i caught. I'm realllly hoping this is the case, not sure if i'm just wishful thinking. it appears i captured an adult one, then i found a "shedding" of another that all seems to lineup with the beetles. our house is like....zero clutter and vacuumed often.

we are bringing in a local exterminator first thing in the morning to verify. is there anything with treating carpet beetles that would require the exterminator from that point on? if he doesn't see any signs of bed bugs, i definitely don't want the place getting sprayed if it's not needed. and im also aware that the two pests may not be mutually exclusive......this blows to be quarantined in with fuckin maybe bed bugs

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Are you sure it was carpet beetles? They just eat fabric and wouldn't be biting you. I would take a closer look at your mattress. Fold back the seams and see if you can see anything black there, bed bugs like to hide in those areas. Look under your box springs (if you have one).

Unfortunately, bed bugs can live up to a year between feedings, so if this is a rental, they could have already been there even before you moved in. Or if you're in a multi-unit building, they could be coming from someone else's unit. I think you've already done the best thing in this situation, which is calling an exterminator.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Yeah our bedroom and mattress area were spotless except for 4-5 adult beetles and a few larvae and sheds. Exterminator confirmed they can cause a dermatitis with their sharp little hairs, and comparing bite pictures online seems to be the case.

So we're just deep cleaning and monitoring vigilantly the next couple nights. The beetles are quite killable so I guess we will rule them out since I've seen zero evidence of bed bugs.

Of course zero evidence of bed bugs is definitely a bed bug thing...but I'm just not ready to blast the place and displace my cats at this juncture.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Effort post time: my wife and I moved into our house last July, at which time we got a survey:

Missed the important fact that our back fence is nearly 2' into our property. Now the existing fence is around the whole perimeter is decayed and rotten except for the section around lot 18, they have a nice newish pt privacy fence. I'd like to redo my entire fence, so I say hi one day and mention that I'm getting quotes, and I'll be removing the section of fence that's on my property. Cue the confusion, they didn't know that it was on my lot. "Couldn't we just leave it? They don't want their fence to not match the whole way around. It's not worth tearing down their fence over such a small amount of land"

They sent me a picture of their survey, which had "not to scale" on a section I had to crop out:

It agrees with my survey pretty closely. Not really sure how to proceed here, I see 3 options:
1) tell them to suck it, cut down their intruding fence, replace with mine at the appropriate boundary.
2) leave their fence where it is, replace the rest of my perimeter, live with it not matching (my wife's preference)
3) put new fence alongside their fence.

Our city has no ordinance about fence setbacks, and code enforcement doesn't get involved in boundary disputes. No permits needed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm asking not implying anything: if you were to just leave the fence, you'd be acknowledging that they can put a fence on your land effectively making it their yard. Could that one day bring about issues with adverse possession or anything?

Again, don't read into this question. I don't know how this stuff works at all.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

This thread tends towards maximalist responses, but it is <60 landlocked square feet not near your driveway that you didn’t realize was yours. You’d be within your legal rights but you gotta live in your neighborhood.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Can't you offer to let them pay to relocate it onto the boundary and if not you're replacing it with your intended fence?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoubleT2172 posted:

Can't you offer to let them pay to relocate it onto the boundary and if not you're replacing it with your intended fence?
I'd go one step further and offer to pay for it, if it wasn't too much. Get a quote from your fence guys and offer to pay to move it a couple feet. If its less than a couple $hundo, I'd go that route. My experience has been that the big cost is in just getting the guys to show up. Once they're already there, incremental work is pretty cheap.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
I have a hot water toilet!

After replacing my hot water tank with a tankless and moving it from an upstairs closet to the garage I have found that the lazy gently caress who remodeled the downstairs bathroom tapped into the line-in for the hot water tank rather than the cold water pipe RIGHT NEXT TO IT. Now the hot water is coming from upstream of that. So now the toilet fills with a balmy 130 degree water. And to fix it will mean ripping open the bathroom wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Get a bolt on bidet for the toilet seat instead and have yourself a great winter