Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I did manage to order a new Chromecast for $37 because I had a credit and birthday promo at Best Buy. This thing looks pretty nice, but with YoutubeTV having dropped Fox Sports regional networks again, I'm not sure I'll be keeping the YoutubeTV sub for long if someone doesn't cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Predictably, there's the same number of people complaining about the hole punch camera that complained about the forehead last year. There's no pleasing some people.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bandire posted:

I did manage to order a new Chromecast for $37 because I had a credit and birthday promo at Best Buy. This thing looks pretty nice, but with YoutubeTV having dropped Fox Sports regional networks again, I'm not sure I'll be keeping the YoutubeTV sub for long if someone doesn't cave.

Oh poo poo. I had a birthday thing too but I don't know why, my birthday was in July. Thank you for this!

Also for some reason, when I looked on the Google Store, it auto ordered one for me....luckily cancelled it before the preauth was a full charge and got it from BBY for $10 cheaper.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drat product launch, I want my jazz piano back :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the storage USF 3?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No idea, but I've seen my 4a outclass a certain $1300 Samsung flagship on an I/O heavy task before so....*SHRUG*.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I feel like the better camera might be the only thing worth upgrading from the 3 for. Is there a turbo nerd on the internet who does side by side photos?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

smoobles posted:

I feel like the better camera might be the only thing worth upgrading from the 3 for. Is there a turbo nerd on the internet who does side by side photos?

I don't have a 5 obviously but the battery is surely a major upgrade from the 3?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

codo27 posted:

Shield better get this update as its been the only worthwhile Android TV device this whole time

Yeah will be great to get it then see no difference because the app makers can't be bothered to update their apps to use the new APIs.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't have a 5 obviously but the battery is surely a major upgrade from the 3?

In theory that would be a good upgrade if I ever left my house

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nailed it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/30/how-did-google-get-the-pixel-5-to-charge-wirelessly-through-metal/

quote:

Google tells us that the metal body of the Pixel 5 has a window carved into it its backside, something like that alternate-dimension Pixel 5 that leaked a week or so ago. The charging coil is embedded into that window (which we assume is plastic, though it could be something else) and coated in with what Google tells us is a "biocoat resin." The whole carved-out kit and caboodle is then pained over to match, and from the back, it all looks like one continuous piece.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

smoobles posted:

In theory that would be a good upgrade if I ever left my house

If that's COVID-related, things should be back to normal by Easter 2020.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

codo27 posted:

Shield better get this update as its been the only worthwhile Android TV device this whole time
I've been thinking about getting a shield tv for years, we've used appletv, built in roku on a TCL TV, PlayStations.

I've never owned a chromecast, would it upscale content for me or is that just something that shield does?

I've been rewatching Babylon 5 on plex and it sounds like maybe shield could make the picture crisper.

I suppose I could just optimize the each series and/or re-encode it, but I thought shields did some sort of Nvidia ai stuff..

I know there are other threads for this question, but they haven't talked about shields much lately.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The AI upscaling on the ShieldTV is no joke, but it really works best upscaling 1080p to 4k.

There's not a lot that's going to make SD TV content look good on a modern TV.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If that's COVID-related, things should be back to normal by Easter 2020.

Is this a typo of 2030?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Is this a typo of 2030?

Paraphrasing Trump.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What's with Google releasing midrange phones for inflated prices lol

I'll probably still get one, but I'll at least hold out for reviews and maybe a sale. It's literally double the cost of the 4a - it has better specs but not THAT much better. My pixel 2 still works fine so I'm not rushed :shrug:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Considering trading in my 3xl for the 5. When the Google store asks "does your screen with properly and is free of cracks?" does that mean a single dead pixel will tank the estimated value? I've never traded a phone in to Google before so I don't know how picky they are.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

What's with Google releasing midrange phones for inflated prices lol

I'll probably still get one, but I'll at least hold out for reviews and maybe a sale. It's literally double the cost of the 4a - it has better specs but not THAT much better. My pixel 2 still works fine so I'm not rushed :shrug:

It's not double, and it's quite a bit different: https://store.google.com/magazine/compare_pixel

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, it is actually double the 4a in the US.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I think it looks really good but I wouldn't pay the premium over the 4a.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tremors posted:

Considering trading in my 3xl for the 5. When the Google store asks "does your screen with properly and is free of cracks?" does that mean a single dead pixel will tank the estimated value? I've never traded a phone in to Google before so I don't know how picky they are.
Generous in my experience, think my mom got like $95 for her bricked 5X even after answering the question about whether it turns on honestly, but I bet it just depends on whoever happens to evaluate it and I doubt they give a poo poo beyond making the mandated speed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Well, it is actually double the 4a in the US.

What are the US prices?

Also, unrelated, but this looks awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2upV6corA

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does Google want the cable and stuff for the trade-in or can I keep those?

Also no Neural Core for the P5. Looks like they're using software to emulate the Neural Core from the P4.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/30/it-sure-looks-like-the-pixel-5-wont-have-the-pixel-neural-core/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

What are the US prices?

Also, unrelated, but this looks awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2upV6corA

$349 for the Pixel 4a and $699 for the Pixel 5.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Pixel 4a 5G looks like a nice deal, but after getting burned on both the Pixel 3 and Pixel 4 launches I'm going to wait for a teardown to see if they cheapened out on the battery connector again.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
https://store.google.com/magazine/compare_pixel

Am I reading it right when it says that the 4a comes with free photo storage on Google Photos, but that the 5 and 4a5G don't? Eh?

The free photo storage was my favourite feature of the pixel 1, I wasn't expecting to see that back at all, but now I'm just confused.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

$349 for the Pixel 4a and $699 for the Pixel 5.

Weird how it's so different.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Pixel 5 has mmWave and sub6 5G because of Verizon so it's $699 instead of a possible $599.

Also there is a Verizon specific 4a 5G that's $599 while the Unlocked possibly doesn't have it so it's cheaper at $499.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

NZAmoeba posted:

https://store.google.com/magazine/compare_pixel

Am I reading it right when it says that the 4a comes with free photo storage on Google Photos, but that the 5 and 4a5G don't? Eh?

The free photo storage was my favourite feature of the pixel 1, I wasn't expecting to see that back at all, but now I'm just confused.

Free "high quality" storage is available to any android phone so it's weird that it's not shown there.

Unlimited original quality went away after the Pixel 3 across the board (and even that was limited time.)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
100 bucks more expensive than the s20 FE, rough

maybe they'll throw some stuff in there to entice people, i think samsung is giving out 70 bucks worth of accessory credit on top of the 10% off msrp

UFS 3.1 vs 2.1, expandable storage, 120hz vs 90hz

weird to think 700 buck range is "midrange +" level now

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJiLjeMAeW0

Pixel 5 unboxing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

6g vs 8g of ram though
plastic vs metal construction on the back
better low light photography, and I think the HDR+ exposure bracketing is going to be another game changer

The SD765G is going to be more power efficient than the SD865 with the external modem.

I agree samsung is kinda breaking the market by dumping SD865 processors on it at this pricepoint and from a pure spec perspective it's hard to argue. I can't wait for the first S20 FE teardown because I suspect they are filled with unsold S20 guts and Samsung needs to offload their S865 inventory commitment that they couldn't hit with the S20 earlier in the year.

Still though, the average person isn't going to notice a difference between the SD765G and the SD865, so the overall experience needs to be looked at.

Then you start taking a look at 6 month old phones on sale and the market gets even more muddled. Just buy what brings you joy and don't obsess over the spec to value ratio.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And there's wrong information in the video.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

And there's wrong information in the video.

Haven't had a chance to watch all the way through. I just stopped it from autoplaying music at least, didn't know there was text. lol

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/30/here-are-the-5g-networks-your-pixel-5-or-pixel-4a-5g-can-use/

Yeah, it looks like the reason why the P5 is $100 more than originally thought is because the P5 supports sub6 AND mmWave as the carriers most likely pressured Google into including it.

The P4a5G does not support mmWave unless you buy the $100 more expensive Verizon version.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Haven't had a chance to watch all the way through. I just stopped it from autoplaying music at least, didn't know there was text. lol

Yeah, the text says it's a glass back when it is not.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Just buy what brings you joy and don't obsess over the spec to value ratio.

Unfortunately obsessing over specs is what brings some people joy

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I've been assisting a bit about the pixel 5 due to my pixel 2xl battery hitting the point where it is no longer good for a full day with moderate usage even at home on WiFi with full signal all day. Then I saw the headphone offer for the UK and 0% financing and I'm definitely pre ordering.

Even if it turns out the build quality is for poo poo I'll have a really nice new set of headphones for work.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://techfans.co.uk/with-the-pixel-5-google-finally-prices-its-phones-properly/

Wow. The only good article I've seen about the P5's price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Been waiting so long for pixel 5s to come out. Any reason to wait to pull the trigger on a preorder? Upgrading from an OG pixel.