Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I recently finished 2D Trials with a party of Kevin, Charlotte, and Riesz. For that I went with Warrior Monk (LD) Kevin pretty much so I could just get Leaf Saber so I could keep MP topped off for the party without having to worry about gold statues or inns after the second class change, which was particularly helpful in the Mirage Palace. In general, I have this irrational aversion to consumables since you have to go out of your way to buy them and while I can do that with things like claws and coins, my issues with oils and walnuts is that you never really know how many of those you're going to end up needing before another opportunity to hit up the market.

I'm starting 3D Trials now with an opposite party of Duran, Angela, and Hawkeye. My first thought here is to go with Edelfrei (DL) Duran so I have Leaf (and Moon) Saber to keep MP topped off the same as before, but I'm not sure if that's a great idea given the rest of the party is magic focused (will enough melee attacks happen to actually recover?) and I go through most of the game relying on poto oil for healing. Alternatively I could go Liege (LD) to tank and have access to healing, but I'm not sure what to do for MP recovery. I'm generally aware that there's more MP recovery options in the remake than Leaf Saber, but I haven't been able to figure out which are available to this party. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

September 30th 1995 was when SD3 was originally released, so there have been a few things announced in a burst of tweets from PR accounts because of the 25th anniversary.

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/1311141419927498753

First they're adding a new harder difficulty to the remake via a patch on 10/14, called No Future, and if you beat the game on that difficulty you get Rabite slippers. Seems like it'll go on sale at that time, too.

https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/1311141297739018240

A selection of 27 music tracks decided by Hiroki Kikuta has been added to Spotify and a few other music services.

https://twitter.com/SQEX_MD_GOODS/status/1311140724247654402

High quality Bring Arts figures of all six main characters whose preorders start today.

They're also holding a character popularity poll and the winner will get a new illustration by HACCAN. And lastly and probably leastly, they're giving away some little backgrounds for Zoom meetings.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Does Angela have a button you can push to make her say "E!"?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Edelfrei is absolutely busted and generally considered Duran's best class and makes exploiting elemental weaknesses (Angela and Dark!Hawkeye both have elemental spells/skills) very easy. It's very offensively tilted, but you can tank with it if you want.

Liege is a more defensive/support class; gets passive buffs (atk/def/mag), can heal, and is pretty tanky.

Personally, I'd go for the former and rely on items (or passive abilities) for healing/MP. I am also someone who values offense over defense, and generally build teams to that end, ymmv.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Further details from Gematsu. I guess there's two difficulties coming.

quote:

New difficulty setting “No Future” added.
An extremely difficult to clear difficulty in which enemies are stronger, especially bosses.
It can only be selected for “New Game+” and returns the player to Level 1.
Some abilities cannot be equipped.
Up to three items can be used in battle.
Boss battles have a time limit.
The display of enemy attack range has been shortened for some boss battles.
Rainbow item seeds may produce high performance equipment of the same name.
Two Chain Abilities added:
“Guidance of the Sacred Sword” – Party members not in your control that become unable to fight will have 1 HP remaining.
“Guidance of the Sacred Sword II” – When you win a battle, all party members’ HP will recover 100 percent.

Other New Feature Additions
New difficulty setting “Very Hard” added. It can only be selected for “New Game+.”
You can now skip class change cutscenes and the end credits.
Fix: Costumes that have been class changed once can now be carried over after a class reset and in “New Game+.” (This only applies to costumes that have been class changed after this update. Costumes can be changed after the first class change.)
When selecting “New Game+,” you can choose to return to Level 1.
New Goddess Statues added to the map.
Other Bug Fixes

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
this game made me so happy, both the original (thru an emulator) and the remake. maybe its the music, but I just love the whole thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

quote:

yesss

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Wow, I was not expecting the game to get any further updates, especially this major. Must've sold really well indeed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh poo poo I’m gonna wait for that patch so I can do Very Hard. Then I’ll try No Future on my final playthrough.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
To be honest, a time limit for bosses sounds kind of like a pain.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Erpy posted:

To be honest, a time limit for bosses sounds kind of like a pain.

Sounds great to me, having difficulty levels just be “enemies have more hp/defense and do more damage” is boring. Gotta strategize.

They are assuming the people doing that difficulty level are already experts on the game and will have an efficient team that can quickly dispose of bosses.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The time limit is basically whatever.

3 items only is savage and means you'll have to carefully plan your party composition.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SKULL.GIF posted:

3 items only is savage and means you'll have to carefully plan your party composition.

Actually having an AOE healer will matter this time around!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I will carefully plan around using Angela to carry the team, yes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The low difficulty is what was keeping me from replaying more so I am very glad they are taking a concerted effort to make it more difficult.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hard mode sounds like it basically forces you to have a dedicated healer and overlevel a bit to compensate for not being able to use elemental items. Don't see that really making a huge difference otherwise

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
So glad they're still supporting this game with new content!

With that superhard mode announcement, it's probably gonna be a good idea to learn this trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7TC0guNpQ

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm legitimately hyped for No Future mode. For a long time I've been saying not enough games with New Game+ also rightfully scale the difficulty of enemies so that the game is a fair challenge even at super high levels or what have you. This game is very well-designed so I don't think it'll be as bullshit as Legend of Mana. They seem to be encouraging a different kind of playstyle with those new chain abilities, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it ends up in practice.

The only playthrough I hadn't done yet is the Dark Prince run, so I guess I'll have to use Hawkeye and Riesz. I did Light Hawkeye on a previous playthrough so maybe Ninja Bullshit is the way to go this time? Who would be a good third I wonder, I'm leaning Charlotte for reliable heals and other potential support like Sabers (if I'm not misremembering?)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Light Charlotte gets sabers, Dark Charlotte gets summons, so yeah.

I took Warrior Monk Kevin as my third, but that was partially because it was my first run and I assumed he'd be as bullshit broken as in the original.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alxprit posted:

I'm legitimately hyped for No Future mode. For a long time I've been saying not enough games with New Game+ also rightfully scale the difficulty of enemies so that the game is a fair challenge even at super high levels or what have you. This game is very well-designed so I don't think it'll be as bullshit as Legend of Mana. They seem to be encouraging a different kind of playstyle with those new chain abilities, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it ends up in practice.

The only playthrough I hadn't done yet is the Dark Prince run, so I guess I'll have to use Hawkeye and Riesz. I did Light Hawkeye on a previous playthrough so maybe Ninja Bullshit is the way to go this time? Who would be a good third I wonder, I'm leaning Charlotte for reliable heals and other potential support like Sabers (if I'm not misremembering?)

If you do DL Hawkeye you get multi-target debugging ninja skills, he pairs well with LD Riesz who gets multi-target party buffs. I was going to go with Dark Angela for that run, which will also be my third, but I’m not totally decided yet

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

pull out your wallet, the bring arts are sold in 3 separate pairs for $209.99 a piece (on sale for 188!)

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/614432/trials-of-mana-bring-arts-action-figure-hawkeye-riesz

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Phantasium posted:

pull out your wallet, the bring arts are sold in 3 separate pairs for $209.99 a piece (on sale for 188!)

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/614432/trials-of-mana-bring-arts-action-figure-hawkeye-riesz

oh no they are articulated

:shepspends:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Overpriced poo poo like this is the only thing keeping the anime industry afloat. Don't be surprised.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/1311141297739018240

A selection of 27 music tracks decided by Hiroki Kikuta has been added to Spotify and a few other music services.

Just so others don't drive themselves crazy like I did the past 15 minutes, this is just a playlist from the original Super Famicom version of the game chosen by the original composer (Hiroki Kikuta). The entire Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka 2D Trials of Mana) soundtrack was already on Spotify, and this is just a curation of 27 of those tracks, presumably the ones the composer liked the best. It is not versions of the songs from the 3D version as I was hoping. :smith:

I guess it is kinda cool to hear the tracks that the composer liked best but, yeah. Nothing new here, sonically speaking.

Looking forward to those difficulty updates though! I think the limited enemy telegraphing is the best way to make the game harder in a way that isn't just increasing enemy HP. Not thrilled about boss time limits but we'll see what happens.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I wouldn't worry about the time limits. Based on the videos I took of fighting the bosses without being hit, most of them are a few minutes of a fight at the most. And the longer ones were ones where I wasn't being as aggressive because of the fear of being hit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I never thought this game would see a western release, I never thought it would get a full remake, I never thought the remake would be this good, and I never thought it would get post-release support like this. SE is full of surprises these days.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

I never thought this game would see a western release, I never thought it would get a full remake, I never thought the remake would be this good, and I never thought it would get post-release support like this. SE is full of surprises these days.

It only took them 25 years!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
and they just announced a patch that adds stuff, namely harder difficulties

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/10320-trials-of-mana-version-1-10-to-release-on-october-14-adds-no-future-difficulty-option-and-other-fixes

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So happy they realised how dumb forcing you to begin at level 99 on NG+ was.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wondering what the difference between Very Hard and No Future is going to be.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rand Brittain posted:

Wondering what the difference between Very Hard and No Future is going to be.

Someone posted this earlier on this page but I’ll copy it here, No Future has a lot more added difficulty beyond just stronger enemies:

quote:

New difficulty setting “No Future” added.
An extremely difficult to clear difficulty in which enemies are stronger, especially bosses.
It can only be selected for “New Game+” and returns the player to Level 1.
Some abilities cannot be equipped.
Up to three items can be used in battle.
Boss battles have a time limit.
The display of enemy attack range has been shortened for some boss battles.
Rainbow item seeds may produce high performance equipment of the same name.
Two Chain Abilities added:
“Guidance of the Sacred Sword” – Party members not in your control that become unable to fight will have 1 HP remaining.
“Guidance of the Sacred Sword II” – When you win a battle, all party members’ HP will recover 100 percent.

Other New Feature Additions
New difficulty setting “Very Hard” added. It can only be selected for “New Game+.”
Fix: Costumes that have been class changed once can now be carried over after a class reset and in “New Game+.” (This only applies to costumes that have been class changed after this update. Costumes can be changed after the first class change.)
New Goddess Statues added to the map.
Other Bug Fixes

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

quote:

Huge

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Trials Remake: If the item seed rolls within the consumable item/gear/serum classes occur when you acquire the seeds, what does the level of the pot actually do? Does it just make it more likely to get gear vs. consumable?

Alternatively, if I'm trying to maximize chances for getting class 3 gear I assume I should pick up three ??? seeds from chests ASAP after reaching the holy land without getting any item seeds after that point, and then go back and get as many item seeds as needed to flesh out the gear?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Leveling the pot improves your chances of finding higher level seeds. It’s possible that leveling it improves the items you get from the seeds (when you pick them up, I guess?)

Edit: for the ??? Seeds as far as I know if you pick up the six from chests before getting any more random ones you always get one of each class change item, at least that’s what happened for me and several other people. You can’t get gear seeds until way later iirc

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you are on PC I would advise you to just install the mod that lets you buy ??? seeds at vendors. I did that after my 3rd or so playthrough.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I hope you all consider giving Genshin Impact a try. It gets compared to BotW a lot, but the satisfying action combat, elemental themes, and charming anime world give me Mana vibes through and through. Plus, it's F2P and offers a ton of content up front.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I've tried it but sadly it does the Nintendo thing where A is cancel and B is confirm on an Xbox controller and that's not something I am willing to put up with.

Shame cause it looks to be pretty fun otherwise.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What the crap kind of game doesn't let you remap buttons

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

local F2P game that you can totally get tons of enjoyment out of without ever spending a dime mysteriously makes 100 million dollars in two weeks! scientists are mystified!

(I tried it for a few hours, it was boring and nakedly cynical like all gacha games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Augus posted:

nakedly cynical

What does that even mean