Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

Can you just disinherit him?

That's definitely the backup plan. I was extra curious to see if it was something preventable or if something you do enables characters to remove themselves from knight consideration, I don't think I've noticed it happening before but I may have just been lucky with my heirs so far and not had to worry about getting them heroically deleted on the battlefield to ensure best succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

also for some reason hair texture (like which hairstyle your children are assigned) is entirely based on your culture which seems to indicate there's no 'gfx_culture' equivalent. i just took over a good chunk of west africa and converted to their culture for ease of rule (and since my province in italy are getting swarmed by heathens so i think ill move over here permanently) and my 3rd child has afro-textured hair

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Yeah but good luck doing so when all your vassals hate you for being the new guy. It requires a few waves of imprisonments/revocations/tyranny revolts that an heir under seniority succession might not have the capability to deal with.

The easier way is actually to keep a close eye on where your heirs are and try and kill anyone who will gently caress it up.

yeah, when it happened to me Poland broke away and my cousin (the Byzantine Emperor) decided to claim the Empire of Hungary-Bohemia. So when the dust settled I was busted down to nothing but the duchy of Bohemia & Alexandria, 5000 g in the bank and my own native wits to fall back on. But Shia Islam can't be defeated, only delayed, and I'm currently trying to convert everyone between Bremen and Beruit to Byzantine Islam. Just installed my brother-in-law to be the Holy Roman Islamic Emperor, too. But I can't imagine that will last long. Fortunately, everything seems to have defaulted to Byzantine Primo so I don't need to faff about with partition, just revoking titles from Christians and handing them out to my kids.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Anyone have a recommended youtuber or something for a CK3 tutorial that isn't painful to watch? Or if not a tutorial, at least someone who has a campaign that's easy to follow along with and learn from?

I played probably 100 hours of CK2 but I haven't actually touched it in probably 4-5 years so I'm way way out of practice.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyone have a recommended youtuber or something for a CK3 tutorial that isn't painful to watch? Or if not a tutorial, at least someone who has a campaign that's easy to follow along with and learn from?

I played probably 100 hours of CK2 but I haven't actually touched it in probably 4-5 years so I'm way way out of practice.

Shenryyr is a good twitch streamer to watch. He's always playing and he'll stop and explain what he's doing, especially if you ask a question in chat.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

shortspecialbus posted:

Jackie Fish and Praetorian HiJynx both had playthroughs that were pretty good

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Feels like they've nerfed MAA and knights a lot for some reason. The knight buffs in the chivalry tree used to be a reliable way to massively boost your army quality in the early game, now it barely does anything. Mercenary companies are all also two pips apart from the very best ones.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zohar posted:

Feels like they've nerfed MAA and knights a lot for some reason. The knight buffs in the chivalry tree used to be a reliable way to massively boost your army quality in the early game, now it barely does anything. Mercenary companies are all also two pips apart from the very best ones.

They changed how army quality is calculated not nerfed MAA afaik. My horsemen are still annihilating numerically superior forces on the reg.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zohar posted:

They changed how the display for army quality was calculated, but I don't think their actual power changed at all. efb

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

OctaMurk posted:

They changed how army quality is calculated not nerfed MAA afaik. My horsemen are still annihilating numerically superior forces on the reg.

Magil Zeal posted:

They changed how the display for army quality was calculated, but I don't think their actual power changed at all. efb

Thanks, must be whatever the opposite of a placebo effect is then lol

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

redcheval posted:

What determines whether someone is a knight and can be forced into knighthood? My oldest son is not as good of an heir option as my middle son but I can't force him to be a knight and take care of him the old-fashioned way.

If you are at your cap for Knights, and he has crap prowess, you may need to Forbid people until a slot opens up that he can be Forced into?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Zohar posted:

They lowered the attack stat on pikemen, but unless you have a ton of those it shouldn't be noticeable.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
How do I get more prestige as a tribal ruler? I feel like I'm constantly running low.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Problem Sleuth posted:

How do I get more prestige as a tribal ruler? I feel like I'm constantly running low.

Do hunts and feasts, raid, pick the Majesty focus and go down that tree. Try and romance your spouse if you can.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

shortspecialbus posted:

Have you tried just jumping in? I came at it from about the same place, and it's all felt super natural up pick up, Paradox really killed it with the interface.

OctaMurk posted:

What building MAA combo are you doing for cavalry? Camelry and Light Cav?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 30, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

Jackie Fish and Praetorian HiJynx both had playthroughs that were pretty good

Praetorian hijynx has one that seems really good and I don't hate his voice. Thanks!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Have you tried just jumping in? I came at it from about the same place, and it's all felt super natural up pick up, Paradox really killed it with the interface.

I want something to watch before I have time to jump in, put on in the background while working and such.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Do hunts and feasts, raid, pick the Majesty focus and go down that tree. Try and romance your spouse if you can.

Since twitter hasn't been invented yet it pays to be a wife guy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You also get a lot of prestige from fighting and participating in allied wars. So just ally a bunch of dudes and actually help them out when they ask for it.

As a bonus you can also get a bunch of prisoners to ransom or recruit.

Edit: Oh yeah, and creating titles gives you a bunch.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 30, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Recruiting dude is pretty funny honestly

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

All I wanted to do was secure the holy sites, release a few kingdoms with dynasty members as kings and retreat to rule over Britain as a chill pope :sigh:. Maybe one of these days I'll play a Paradox game that doesn't end up with me painting the map, but today is not that day. Might call that a victory and go play a Muslim or pagan game.

e: also 'to succeeded'? Literally unplayable.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Okay cool, I was raiding and hunting but I'll give those other options a shot. How does romancing my wife give me prestige though?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Omar_Comin posted:

If you are at your cap for Knights, and he has crap prowess, you may need to Forbid people until a slot opens up that he can be Forced into?

This didn't work, but there's got to be something that is flagging him as ineligible for being a knight in the first place. Can't find anything about what makes people eligible for knighthood so disinheritance it is!

e: it just occurred to me to check his traits and I see he's got Reclusive, and I wonder if that's doing it

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Problem Sleuth posted:

Okay cool, I was raiding and hunting but I'll give those other options a shot. How does romancing my wife give me prestige though?

She tells her handmaidens about your prowess and word spreads

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Daktar posted:

All I wanted to do was secure the holy sites, release a few kingdoms with dynasty members as kings and retreat to rule over Britain as a chill pope :sigh:. Maybe one of these days I'll play a Paradox game that doesn't end up with me painting the map, but today is not that day. Might call that a victory and go play a Muslim or pagan game.

e: also 'to succeeded'? Literally unplayable.

Capitalists builds a factroy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Capitalists builds a factroy

I'd hoped they'd fixed the tax lien thing, but alas.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man do I love when the ally of my target buys mercs to fight me, that's some real dedication to the cause.

I even checked, he didn't have those mercs before I declared.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

redcheval posted:

This didn't work, but there's got to be something that is flagging him as ineligible for being a knight in the first place. Can't find anything about what makes people eligible for knighthood so disinheritance it is!

e: it just occurred to me to check his traits and I see he's got Reclusive, and I wonder if that's doing it

From the Wiki:

Characters cannot be appointed Knights if they have the Incapable or Blind traits. Is he one of those?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Is prowness supposed to be an abstraction of both combat skill and loving skill?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I have an ambitious neighbour that keeps declaring subjugation wars on me because he thinks he has me outnumbered due to his alliance with... his liege.
That might need a look at.

Edit: I feel like you shouldn't be able to call allies to offensive wars if it bumps you down to negative prestige.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 1, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I just got absolutely hosed by my liege. Playing as king of romagna for the longest time I was blessed with a single son allowing me to go whole hog on expansion, welp ended up getting my former lover now wife pregnant at almost sixty and she gives birth to a son. I have enough that he'll form the kingdom of sardinia on succession, but that's all he'll get. So I set corsica and sardinia up for him and get the rest of the peninsula ready for the actual king. I call on last war in naples and everything goes to poo poo. The kaiser gives me Trent and my ruler dies at nearly the same time. Of course with Trent now I can form the kingdom of Italy. So half my land gets stolen by my one year old half brother and his mom who hates me. Corsica and sardinia are hosed with my attempts to keep them weak so I could steal it back later. And my heir was greedy so I can't even use my thousands of ducats to buy loyalty without going insane.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Is prowness supposed to be an abstraction of both combat skill and loving skill?

Why would it be anything to do with loving skill?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

what's the gently caress stat then

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

what's the gently caress stat then

Fertility

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I dunno if there is an event for being a "poor lover", but aside from fertility and attraction opinion, the game doesn't account for sexual prowess at all as far as I know.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now we just need someone to mod in the sexual tyrannosaurus trait

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I dunno if there is an event for being a "poor lover", but aside from fertility and attraction opinion, the game doesn't account for sexual prowess at all as far as I know.

There is a "Rejected from spouse's bed" modifier that basically makes you unable to have kids with them, but I think that might be related to the pox.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
So I finally completed my count to empire Zunbil reformation game.

Was originally intending to convert everything to Zunist, but I just don't have it in me anymore. Think I have done pretty good anyway.

This is the Empire after giving away 10 empire titles for the dynasty of many crowns achievement. Gotta say not as bordergorey as I was expecting.

After giving away the titles my levies jumped from 100,000 to 500,000. Along the way I had gotten too tired to stay under the vassal limit so my vassals were not giving me anything.

And this is the Emperor with whom I finally conquered the world.

100 learning from holding a whole bunch of universities, diplomacy mainly from embassies. Pretty much all of my councillors have 40+ in their relevant skills so I get 20% of that from Learning on the Job.

Almost all of my dynasty has genius/amazonian/beautiful with fecund being slightly less prevalent and quite a few giants thrown in the mix from the dynasty bonus.

My dynasty comprises of 13,000 living members spread over 600 cadet houses. It took me 2 hours at max speed to go forward by a year just due to my computer chugging hard.

Biggest takeaways:

Bringing back a religion from the dead was by far the hardest part, you really need to plan ahead and I'm not sure you could do it without human sacrifice and starting with an unreformed pagan faith. Even then you are still looking at 60,000+ piety. I chose unreformed Bon but Asatru would work just as well.

Witchcraft is amazing, and even more unbalanced after the patch. On top of the fertility and opinion bonuses the Grand Rite can be performed every 10 years and one of the options is to get a free perk. On top of that, much like feasts your vassals will invite you to their Grand Rites so it is very easy to quickly accumulate free perks when your dynasty is as big as mine was.
Though Witchcraft is currently somewhat bugged. If you have a religion where witchcraft is legal it will give you a trait rather than a secret, with the trait being very nice. However if you reform a religion from illegal witchcraft to legal witchcraft the game will still treat it as being a secret so if you want to make use of the trait you have to expose your childrens secret before you die and there is no way to expose your own.

Need to take over an Empire title? Befriend or seduce a claimant, invite them to your court and then ask them to convert to your religion. Then push their claim. They will gain the Empire title and be independent, but if you are pagan or reformed pagan you will now have a subjugation claim on the Empire. Subjugation can only be used once per ruler, but it works.

Once you get large enough with enough bonusses you will pretty much always have 100 opinion with all vassals, and alot of independent rulers as well. At this time as well your rulers will consistently live until they are 80+. So why not imprison and execute your son and grandson so that you can take over your 16 year old great grandson? The opinion hit hardly makes a difference and sets you up for a nice long reign.

Spread your culture to pick up good cultural techs. War elephants aren't really all that great, but get style points. Plus every so often your ruler will get an event where they are gifted a personal war elephant that gives +10 prowess if they are militarily focussed.

And finally: Take over Baghdad. Baghdad is the perfect capital, landlocked and rich. And most importantly the House of Wisdom special building starts built and gives you +15% monthly lifestyle experience and +2 learning for each level of fame.

Eventually I intend to take this game to the final year, but the game runs so slow I don't think it will be for some time.

e: Also Esotericism is a wonderful religious trait. It equals out to about 5 or 6 free extra learning perks per ruler once they are living long enough, and not mentioned is that whenever you complete a pilgrimage you have chance to add or upgrade your Wise Man ruler trait. I really missed it when I switched to Zun and probably should have reformed it into Zun but didn't feel right having Zun without Unrelenting, Divine Marriage and Sun Worship.

Also in CK2 reformed Zunist is gold rather than red, I trust Paradox will soon correct this egregious oversight.

ElectronicOldMen fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 1, 2020

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Does anybody know how I ensure the game has patched on Xbox Gamepass? The launcher, down in the left, says the game is on version 1.0.3, which I take it was the launch version? Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Can someone explain county development to me? Mine has stalled at 35 and I’m not sure why. I just want to build Cambridge and then ban tories from going there