Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sixth and maimed posted:

I can fix most things from my computer and that they needed to give me some idea on how critical/urgent it was.

If they won't do over the phone troubleshooting to maybe get it fixed right now, then it isn't important enough for a deskside visit either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TheParadigm posted:

A tech friend found this a while ago, and uh, well. Relevant I guess?

lol gonna post that to my old CTO's feed. This happened to us a lot.

Some dipshit in Texas digs up fiber and that kills the EMR for 5 hospitals in California at once.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

For the most part I am just venting. And I am lucky that we are healthy and have jobs. For me it is a bit of too much of a good thing. I support technology that lets people work from home for a company whose infrastructure lets millions of people work from home, so if anything I am busier than before.

I’m with you.

My problems are not problems. My family is healthy, we are employed, we all get along, we know how to use technology to do jobs and school, we know how to entertain ourselves without screens.

But privacy is gone, I can’t play my bass at eleven like I can when I’m home alone, we are all sick of home cooking, I’m sick of hone improvement projects every weekend, and I’m resorting to zooming in on various beaches on google maps and daydreaming.

Like I said: my problems are not problems.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

No. The patch is enough. There's a python script available which will test your DCs for the vulnerability.

Ahh, that's some relief, but we're still hosed in February if we don't start patching desktops, yes?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Even more concerning the provider was about 15000 feet off where they thought the splice was located! Was not a fun night for them or me.

It'll happen again next year, and their documentation will not have been updated in the meantime :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We resumed our password expiration policy. It is going as swimmingly as you might imagine.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

We resumed our password expiration policy. It is going as swimmingly as you might imagine.

I distinctly recall the NIST recommending against arbitrary password expirations...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Did you expire everyone's password at the same time?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

I distinctly recall the NIST recommending against arbitrary password expirations...

That was only 2 or 3 years ago though, it takes at least 10 years for updated best practices to percolate into the brain of management.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

If I recall correctly that was only in a draft, and they chickened out in the final version.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Did you expire everyone's password at the same time?

lol no

And the NIST guidelines were for no password expirations, pretty sure that wasn't a draft?

But I'm not management here and my objections only go so far up the ladder.

https://blog.stealthbits.com/nist-password-guidelines/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Expire them all on the same day. Do it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Expire them all at 8pm on Thanksgiving.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Expire them all at 8pm on Thanksgiving after putting in for a vacation from Thanksgiving through Christmas.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the ideal moment is at the beginning of the quarter, so people have the opportunity to update their password suffix to Q42020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

our payroll website requires password changes every six months but it doesn't check to see whether you're reusing an old password. mine has not changed for five years

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

our payroll website requires password changes every six months but it doesn't check to see whether you're reusing an old password. mine has not changed for five years
I think ours requires, like, monthly or bimonthly changes, but also does not check to see whether you're reusing an old password. Mine has also not changed since I was hired.

Our training system is similar.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

lol no

And the NIST guidelines were for no password expirations, pretty sure that wasn't a draft?

But I'm not management here and my objections only go so far up the ladder.

https://blog.stealthbits.com/nist-password-guidelines/

It's not a draft, it's official.

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html#sec5 posted:

Verifiers SHOULD NOT impose other composition rules (e.g., requiring mixtures of different character types or prohibiting consecutively repeated characters) for memorized secrets. Verifiers SHOULD NOT require memorized secrets to be changed arbitrarily (e.g., periodically). However, verifiers SHALL force a change if there is evidence of compromise of the authenticator.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Weedle posted:

https://www.storagetreasures.com a website allowing you to bid, and buy, storage units at auction online has a password policy of not allowing you to use any of the last 5 passwords you've used, and none that you've used in the last 6 months.

a storage unit auction site has a stronger password policy than most banks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IT Director emailed me a PDF file of some schedule.
"Can you put this into Citrix for me?"

:confused:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Stuff pissing me off:

I've been working from home for over 8 years and pretty much had it down. Covid changed all that. First there were the emergency closures and my wife and son being home and trying to finish up the year, which was a poop show but whatever. Now however, wife is working from home full time and son is virtual school full time, which means I have a second job as desktop support for the house. We are doing the best we can but the school setup is thrown together and not planned out well, and I try to help but it is annoying to be interrupted a work multiple times a day. Plus it has been years since I did desktop or (ug) printer support.

I'm so glad we have multiple internets at home so whenever i get a text "The internet isn't working!" I can go "just switch to the backup cable / backup mifi"

Pissing me off: My (fairly old) firewire audio interface isn't supported for Catalina by the manufacturer (MOTU). Whenever the computer goes to sleep, the firewire driver kernel panics my macbook.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Got official word that my title change and raise will not happen until the new year

Waiting with bated breath to hear from the place in interviewed at on Monday

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

IT Director emailed me a PDF file of some schedule.
"Can you put this into Citrix for me?"

:confused:

Sharefile?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

That happened to my bombproof M-Audio Delta-1010.

Obsolescence sucks

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

That range map is inaccurate.
I’ve personally spotted them way farther north.

At what, secret squirrel signals intelligence bunkers?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

luminalflux posted:

I'm so glad we have multiple internets at home so whenever i get a text "The internet isn't working!" I can go "just switch to the backup cable / backup mifi"

Pissing me off: My (fairly old) firewire audio interface isn't supported for Catalina by the manufacturer (MOTU). Whenever the computer goes to sleep, the firewire driver kernel panics my macbook.

Isn't that thing old enough to drink at this point? :v:

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Speaking of password resets gone wrong, I lost an application for 6 hours today because the vendor recently got hit by ransomware and recommended on Friday that customers change their service passwords if the vendor had it on file. So we changed the service passwords on Monday.

Except that this morning they sent another email to not change it for one product because that’ll take down the product. Whoops.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wibla posted:

Isn't that thing old enough to drink at this point? :v:

I got my first one in 2010 I think - lightning took it in Mexico, it’s replacement died some weird hardware death in March and I RMAd it so this is a refurbed unit from who knows when

MOTU won’t support Catalina for it so I have to figure out some weird setup for it

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

maybe not totally IT related, but I failed a SQL technical interview last Friday because I was using table aliases to write my ad-hoc code and the interviewer, who got verbally irritated, said "table aliases aren't performant, you should use self-joins and nested subqueries" and I just kind of froze and didn't know what to say because it was by far the dumbest loving thing i've ever heard

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Knot My President! posted:

maybe not totally IT related, but I failed a SQL technical interview last Friday because I was using table aliases to write my ad-hoc code and the interviewer, who got verbally irritated, said "table aliases aren't performant, you should use self-joins and nested subqueries" and I just kind of froze and didn't know what to say because it was by far the dumbest loving thing i've ever heard

lolwut, that's the dumbest thing i've heard

which engine was this

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

luminalflux posted:

lolwut, that's the dumbest thing i've heard

which engine was this

postgres lol

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So long as that doesn't put you out on the street, you dodged a bullet. You wouldn't have been a fit for the team.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm reasonably sure that's not a thing but i'll go ask my postgres friends because holy poo poo is that weapons grade stupid

edit: yeah they said that's highly unlikely

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 1, 2020

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

mllaneza posted:

So long as that doesn't put you out on the street, you dodged a bullet. You wouldn't have been a fit for the team.

I'm on unemployment since my last company was in adtech for the travel industry, so I'm sitting aight. The worst is I really wanted the job (was for a game streaming service) but the team lead and the tech interview dude didn't play videogames and only used streaming for sports and only after getting hired and it just really rubbed me the wrong way, like wtf

The question one of the interviewers got angry at me for was basically "find the months that streamers had more views than the previous month". So you have month, streamer, views after aggregating. Sometimes streamers don't stream in a month so you have to account for that. The way I'd solve this-- in a coder pad, off the top of my head with two people scrutinizing me-- is to generate a date array, cross join it to all streamers, then left join the month/streamer/views table to this on month and streamer and a CASE to convert nulls (no views that month) to 0. Then I'd use a LAG() function to pull in last month's views. My final query would use WHERE clause where current month views > last month views, which would give you a list of every user's month that had more views than their previous month.

They said they wanted me to solve it using a self join, which a week later I still have no idea what the gently caress they were talking about :psyduck:

I loving hate job hunting

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I guess they want you to solve everything, absolutely everything via self-joins.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A user in a ticket decided that their computer name was "THIS PC". Ok fine, I don't expect users to know how to get the name when the helpdesk didn't explain it to them. The user even said "this doesn't seem right, but it's all I can find"

The helpdesk then escalated it to infrastructure because there is no computer named "THIS PC" anywhere in our systems

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our dhcp server is configured to accept the client's requested host name so I named my laptop hello-there. So anyone going over the logs gets a friendly welcome.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Lum posted:

A user in a ticket decided that their computer name was "THIS PC". Ok fine, I don't expect users to know how to get the name when the helpdesk didn't explain it to them. The user even said "this doesn't seem right, but it's all I can find"

The helpdesk then escalated it to infrastructure because there is no computer named "THIS PC" anywhere in our systems

The Help Desk person didn't realize "This PC" is what Windows uses for all of the local storage when you open up Windows Explorer?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

xzzy posted:

Our dhcp server is configured to accept the client's requested host name so I named my laptop hello-there. So anyone going over the logs gets a friendly welcome.

try eicar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I'm on unemployment since my last company was in adtech for the travel industry, so I'm sitting aight. The worst is I really wanted the job (was for a game streaming service) but the team lead and the tech interview dude didn't play videogames and only used streaming for sports and only after getting hired and it just really rubbed me the wrong way, like wtf

The question one of the interviewers got angry at me for was basically "find the months that streamers had more views than the previous month". So you have month, streamer, views after aggregating. Sometimes streamers don't stream in a month so you have to account for that. The way I'd solve this-- in a coder pad, off the top of my head with two people scrutinizing me-- is to generate a date array, cross join it to all streamers, then left join the month/streamer/views table to this on month and streamer and a CASE to convert nulls (no views that month) to 0. Then I'd use a LAG() function to pull in last month's views. My final query would use WHERE clause where current month views > last month views, which would give you a list of every user's month that had more views than their previous month.

They said they wanted me to solve it using a self join, which a week later I still have no idea what the gently caress they were talking about :psyduck:

I loving hate job hunting

Man, I really LOVE when people who don't have a clue of how to do things right have basically taken over a part of a company. They are basically going to weed out any new candidate that might be competent. Glorious.

And you don't have to hide it, twitch.tv employees aren't very good. It is known. Always name and shame a reject, especially one so comical.