Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So I went on sort of a binge and bought Yakuza 0-5 because they look like games I’d enjoy even though I don’t really know a whole lot going in.

I just finished chapter 1 of Yakuza 0 and holy poo poo that whole final section of chapter 1 was a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dreffen posted:

So I went on sort of a binge and bought Yakuza 0-5 because they look like games I’d enjoy even though I don’t really know a whole lot going in.

I just finished chapter 1 of Yakuza 0 and holy poo poo that whole final section of chapter 1 was a blast.
I won't say that every chapter of Y0 (or any Yakuza) game ends with something completely awesome. They generally have a lull somewhere in the middle where like seven chapters can go by before you even realize it. But still, across all of those games there's a shitload of exciting endings like that.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm not sure I would have been so completely sucked into Yakuza if it weren't for Kuze.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fix posted:

I'm not sure I would have been so completely sucked into Yakuza if it weren't for Kuze.
Yeah an awesome character with awesome music and a face that is a deadly weapon, to paraphrase how I've heard him talked about in Japanese.

That actor has the main role in this direct video movie series that's like 35 movies long now. I started watching it it was pretty interesting at first but it really started running together.

Edit: jeez 41 of them now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwrlHz86994

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 1, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah an awesome character with awesome music and a face that is a deadly weapon, to paraphrase how I've heard him talked about in Japanese.

That actor has the main role in this direct video movie series that's like 35 movies long now. I started watching it it was pretty interesting at first but it really started running together.

Edit: jeez 41 of them now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwrlHz86994

Yoooooooo, is that Tachibana?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe? Almost all the actors in the Yakuza series are from direct to video movies like these.

Edit: V-Cinema, it's called.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Am I right that PS4 Pro enhancements will automatically carry over to the PS5, but that any further performance increases have to be written/patched into the game?

I ask because there's a couple of games in the current sale that I definitely want but that have significant performance issues on the vanilla PS4 compared to the PC versions. If the PS5 closes that gap and I'm not missing out on too much eye candy, I'd pull the trigger on buying them.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, Tachibana is cuter, this makes me want to replay 0 so bad, I sort of forgot about some of these characters https://youtu.be/e5DPwbmdLaI

I replayed like half of DMCV last night and forgot how dreadful the load times are, that alone makes the ps5 version tempting. What else is new in the deluxe version or whatever the PS5 edition is called, Virgil is playable or something?

imhotep fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 1, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Am I right that PS4 Pro enhancements will automatically carry over to the PS5, but that any further performance increases have to be written/patched into the game?

I ask because there's a couple of games in the current sale that I definitely want but that have significant performance issues on the vanilla PS4 compared to the PC versions. If the PS5 closes that gap and I'm not missing out on too much eye candy, I'd pull the trigger on buying them.

There will probably be another boost mode but Sony haven't really gone into it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yeah.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe? Almost all the actors in the Yakuza series are from direct to video movies like these.

Edit: V-Cinema, it's called.

Right on. Deadly Outlaw Rekka is a great one, with that cool guy Riki Takeuchi (Yakuza 0). That one probably did grace a movie theater, but still.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mcbexx posted:

TLOU1 will be in the PS+ Collection next month.
It's very thoughtful of them to exclude all those 18 titles from the sale.

Imagine the tears.

TLOU1 was a ps+ game a year ago.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm into Season 2 now of this Midnight Diner show someone recommended and it's only now occurred to me that this show is just Cheers.

Chill Cheers.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh hey it's October, what are the free games going to be this month?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

A Need for Speed game is one of them at least. I've been kind of wanting a racing game but without paying for one for a bit, so that suits me well.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

^^ yeah, I don't think I actually have one atm, that will be nice ^^

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TLOU1 was a ps+ game a year ago.

It was an emotional rollercoaster going through my library, seeing I had never purchased it, then discovering it in a separate section of the library I've never gone to called "PS Plus." It looks like all the games that have been released while I've been a member or whatever, even if I didn't claim them at the time. I thought if you missed it that was it, this is pretty groovy if I'm understanding correctly.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Inspector Hound posted:

Vampyr and Need for Speed Payback

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

^^ yeah, I don't think I actually have one atm, that will be nice ^^

It was an emotional rollercoaster going through my library, seeing I had never purchased it, then discovering it in a separate section of the library I've never gone to called "PS Plus." It looks like all the games that have been released while I've been a member or whatever, even if I didn't claim them at the time. I thought if you missed it that was it, this is pretty groovy if I'm understanding correctly.
No those are just ones you claimed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I do not have much to add at this time other than Yakuza 0 is one of the greatest games of all time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

I do not have much to add at this time other than Yakuza 0 is one of the greatest games of all time.

confirmed

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe someday they'll make Yakuza -1 starring Kazama or someone back in the 70s. There's a million 60s-70s era Yakuza movies to draw from.

Edit: thinking about it, I don't think that any of the existing older characters would be nearly wacky enough to start in their own game in the '70s. All the ones I can remember are either honorable old men or absolute murdering bastards. Maybe I'm forgetting somebody though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 1, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm really keen to get on board the new generation Yakuza. I know it's been discussed but Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a loving cool title.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

owl_pellet posted:

PS-Timetracker says it took me like 46 hours to beat.

Ugh I only just found out about this bot from your post. Why doesn't Sony just show this in your console or on their site and save this guy all the hard work? They are surely tracking all times played somewhere.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JBP posted:

I'm really keen to get on board the new generation Yakuza. I know it's been discussed but Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a loving cool title.

After this and Resident Evil: Biohazard, they need to make:

Streets of Rage: Bare Knuckle
Drakengard: Drag-on Dragoon
Boom Street: Fortune Street: Itadaki Street

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just watched the Spider-man remastered clips. While I do like the original model, the new one looks great in motion.

Can't wait to replay it after Morales.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe someday they'll make Yakuza -1 starring Kazama or someone back in the 70s. There's a million 60s-70s era Yakuza movies to draw from.

Edit: thinking about it, I don't think that any of the existing older characters would be nearly wacky enough to start in their own game in the '70s. All the ones I can remember are either honorable old men or absolute murdering bastards. Maybe I'm forgetting somebody though.

New protagonist who is a friend of Kazamas.

Also, Battles Without Honor or Humanity would be the perfect film series to wholesale steal from.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

VideoGames posted:

I wish I could get into Yakuza. I played 0 for about 5 to 10 hours because of this thread and just was bored the whole time.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

VideoGames posted:

That's a funny way of spelling Bloodborne

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I really wanna see what VonZuben does with the remaster and Miles.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

That's a funny way of spelling Bloodborne

It is the Japanese spelling.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My Japanese friends like to say “BroodBolne” very dramatically even though they are all young and polylingusitc and can say it the right way without issue so this is how I pronounce it. They also really love calling it “DAHK SOULS”.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seedge posted:

I really wanna see what VonZuben does with the remaster and Miles.

I appreciate it, thanks!
It's admittedly weird to be hotly anticipating a new favourite game while also feeling a bit of anxiety about being good at it right away and finishing it quickly.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rad Valtar posted:

I wish I could get into Yakuza. I played 0 for about 5 to 10 hours because of this thread and just was bored the whole time.

I understand this, the combat is stylish looking but plays very simplistically and the amount of cutscenes is a hard sell for some people.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Larissa from 90 Day Fiancé loves Bloodborne

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've hardly seen any of this, but I saw this episode and audibly yelled

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've hardly seen any of this, but I saw this episode and audibly yelled

I’m heavily invested in that stupid show and I couldn’t believe it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

👸🏻 Kween

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A hunter is a hunter even in a trashy reality show

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Larissa pwn them all