Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The gently caress happened in the netherlands in the mid 2000s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1311581356095418368?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is this just more boring nonsense or is this the bit where we find out there are worse things than NDB

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Another episode of 'Why do anglos?'

Wrongdoers must get beatings, op

beatings most harsh :mad:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently Jezza went to a dinner party with 7 other people :(
I did a reverse image search hoping to prove it was fake but it doesn't seem to be.
Now my right wing "chums" are gleefully sharing it on FB, going on about Diane Abbott doing the counting, and how Jezza should get a huge fine.
F*kn hell.
I'm pretending I haven't seen their posts (which fortunately with FB is quite possible).

Here's an article in the Indie about it: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-rule-six-dinner-party-coronavirus-labour-boris-johnson-b735766.html

The pic of everyone round the table they're all sharing is in The Sun. So I'm not sharing that.

Nah gently caress that, Corbyn hosed up and deserves to be told as much. Yeah it's dissappointing, but you should definitely join your tory "chums" and say he should be fined, might break their brain a little bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1311376237873582083

Not sure whether the great british channel weather control device or the great british pontoon bridge of caligula is the stupider option.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure whether the great british channel weather control device or the great british pontoon bridge of caligula is the stupider option.

Watch them try for both and tip over their own boats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Nah gently caress that, Corbyn hosed up and deserves to be told as much. Yeah it's dissappointing, but you should definitely join your tory "chums" and say he should be fined, might break their brain a little bit.

OTOH it's a stupid rule and lol @ the idea of playing fair with tories.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is this just more boring nonsense or is this the bit where we find out there are worse things than NDB

No loving idea I just think it's funny

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Total Meatlove posted:

Isle of Wight is close enough that people on the mainland (“real people”) would hear the screams and see the flags waving.

I mean it happens now and people ignore it, but that’s just islanders.

While on the subject of building new "detention centres" here's a report released today about how there was a systemic plan of torture in the H-Block prisons under successive UK Government's.

So something to bear in mind for any new builds.

H-Block prisoners subjected to 'systemic inhuman and degrading treatment' during the Troubles, report finds https://jrnl.ie/5219315

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The line should always be that, as an island, maybe we should have put some of that wave machine migrant repelling boat money into actual disease monitoring at the ports and activating the Environmental Public Health Tracking teams back in February, making this whole thing avoidable.

The stupid rules are a direct result of two things: Tories dropping the ball repeatedly early on and saying that we should take it on the chin and wash our hands to happy birthday, causing a disastrous lockdown, and stupid fucks that think that masks stop Q drops delivering rootkits for Bill Gates' 5G microchips, and without either of those we wouldn't even need the Party of 5 or whatever.

The Question IRL posted:

So something to bear in mind for any new builds.
Oh I'm sure they will.

:(

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Why bother supplying an answer at all? Nobody's gonna be asking the question who they think matters.

But if anyone does, the answer is probably "there's not enough spaaaaaaace".

I'm shocked that in hellworld no one has suggested just enslaving indenturing hiring asylum seekers for menial labour and paying them in company scrip.

Or does that go against the jobless scrounger narrative.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

OTOH it's a stupid rule and lol @ the idea of playing fair with tories.

It definitely is a stupid rule, but you can't pivot to that because Corbyn broke it as my point. If you were loudly yelling about how it's stupid in the first place then fair enough, and you're not allowed to get upset when tories throw garden parties either.

Stanley Johnson is a loving muppet though and everyone should wear masks, if for no other reason than they look much cooler than people's face.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1311589435151089665?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

It definitely is a stupid rule, but you can't pivot to that because Corbyn broke it as my point. If you were loudly yelling about how it's stupid in the first place then fair enough, and you're not allowed to get upset when tories throw garden parties either.

Stanley Johnson is a loving muppet though and everyone should wear masks, if for no other reason than they look much cooler than people's face.

I get annoyed at tories for existing, I think they should be fined until they stop. And if it annoys tories I'm quite happy to have a go at them for breaking their stupid loving rules while being entirely contrary when it's someone who isn't a tory.

I guess I don't really think that consistency matters any more? Or that it ever did? Like there's people I like and people I don't and everything is just an excuse to stick up for the people I like and persecute the people I don't, and my complaint is that the persecution is less effective than I would like.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

I'm shocked that in hellworld no one has suggested just enslaving indenturing hiring asylum seekers for menial labour and paying them in company scrip.

Tonty Blair banned them from having a job.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the old bitch is still leader of my heart

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Z the IVth posted:

loving LMBO at the idea that they haven't tried that.

Judge rules £1/hr wages for immigration detainees are lawful

Guardian posted:

A high court judge has found that wages of £1 an hour paid in immigration detention centres are lawful.

Five former immigration detainees challenged the rates of pay. The men’s case was dismissed by Mr Justice Murray on Wednesday, although he said he sympathised with them. They are seeking permission to appeal against the ruling.

The pay rate is less than one-seventh of the legal minimum wage and was described by detainees as “slave labour wages”.

Guavanaut posted:

Tonty Blair banned them from having a job.

That does not apply to the ones locked in the detention centres.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

What if we do away with computers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They were too good for us

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1311595573837991936?s=19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean it's technically voluntary, but then there's this lovely quote from a manager:

Graun posted:

“When it comes to asking a detainee to put his hand down a toilet to clean or ask[ing them] to clean the body fat buildup in the showers for £1 an hour, then we are often met with the response that you can stuff your job, which is why we have a high turnover for shower cleaners and room cleaners.”

They also do some shop work making manual handicraft poo poo and whatnot even though that's not mentioned in that particular legal challenge.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress happened in the netherlands in the mid 2000s?
Was it Netherlands or Belgium that had several sex crime scandales at that time?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

presumably we're meant to think that they were concerned that the risk of capsizing boats was too high, but it seems much more probable that they thought it was unacceptably low and we should just sink them directly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if I can get funding for "a very long stick" to stand on the top of the cliffs at dover and push the boats back to france.

Possibly a plan to build a series of large fans in the channel to blow them back, then just build a wind farm and tell the gammons it's a coastal defence system.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1311597416718757894?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

he quite literally was too anti-racist for the country, as a racist country we react to anti-racism with extreme prejudice

that and he tried to run a democratic campaign in an oligarchal monarchy against the press lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if I can get funding for "a very long stick" to stand on the top of the cliffs at dover and push the boats back to france.
Don't trust that Archimedes and his foreign ideas like baths.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly a plan to build a series of large fans in the channel to blow them back, then just build a wind farm and tell the gammons it's a coastal defence system.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Z the IVth posted:

Don't be silly you don't tell people you're doing that you just slap 'MADE IN THE UK' on the product and crow about home grown businesses without mentioning that you're using slaves to make the products, not paying workers.

Evidence: this is exactly what the US prison system is for.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Known racist Corbyn sure spent a lot of time and effort over a very long time building his cover!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I get annoyed at tories for existing, I think they should be fined until they stop. And if it annoys tories I'm quite happy to have a go at them for breaking their stupid loving rules while being entirely contrary when it's someone who isn't a tory.

I guess I don't really think that consistency matters any more? Or that it ever did? Like there's people I like and people I don't and everything is just an excuse to stick up for the people I like and persecute the people I don't, and my complaint is that the persecution is less effective than I would like.

I can sympathize with trying to rub the tories' face in whatever you can, but I think consistency matters when you're trying to work out a moral code, even if it's just your own. I suppose 'me good them bad' is consistent, but it also works with the nazi code so I think it's poo poo. Your reasons for picking who you like and who you don't are different, but unless you're universalising those reasons, then your code of conduct sucks. And if you are universalising the reasons and not 'me good them bad' then it's a different code.

Sorry I could have probably phrased this better but to be honest with you I cba digging out philosophical terms for this stuff atm.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

More proof the home office is irredeemable

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Communist Thoughts posted:

Well, it's definitely happening:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/01/brexit-eu-launches-legal-action-against-uk-for-breaching-withdrawal-agreement

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Sorry I could have probably phrased this better but to be honest with you I cba digging out philosophical terms for this stuff atm.
*very John Rawls voice* Rights and moral codes should be constructed as if you could have been born as anyone. But imagine you'd been born a Tory. What a poo poo oval office you'd be then. Therefore, universal moral codes should be constructed as if some people are just poo poo cunts.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

OwlFancier posted:

The weird thing is that, like, jersey exists if you want an island to build your death camps on?

Or the isle of wight, which would hopefully at least spare SMGT some grief.

I'm currently not in the field, so what goes on the Isle Of Shite can stay on the Isle Of Shite

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Death camps still need printers.

This is true, the DWP has many in Job Centres

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Thread:

https://twitter.com/HeftyLeftie/status/1311397353249792001

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-r-rate-drops-11-22772432

This seems both unlikely and too soon.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

*very John Rawls voice* Rights and moral codes should be constructed as if you could have been born as anyone. But imagine you'd been born a Tory. What a poo poo oval office you'd be then. Therefore, universal moral codes should be constructed as if some people are just poo poo cunts.

The main reason Rawls' poo poo doesn't work is because if tories could imagine themselves being someone else we wouldn't need it in the first place.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Even if the R was dropping, how could they possibly map it on to the rule of six and not anything else, like say, people panicking because the R is going up really fast again? I hate this bullshit 'reporting what the officials say without asking questions or looking into it' bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Miftan posted:

everyone should wear masks, if for no other reason than they look much cooler than people's face.

Just back from the shops, had to collect a prescription, it was pissing down, and I looked how I looked like a modern day computer game ninja jedi baddy with my hoodie and black face mask.