Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

food court bailiff posted:

After ages and ages of not doing any Warhammer stuff since gaming is dead due to all of 2020's crap, I grabbed Underworlds: Dreadfane, and....I kinda really like the rules?

I guess my question is where to go from here - is the current "real" starter set Beastgrave? Is there a new one on the horizon I should hold out for? I was thinking of grabbing that and Mollog's Mob, both because the minis look awesome and I want some universal cards to screw around with.

Also, how is the PC implementation on Steam? Is it a real approximation of the board game, or are there differences?

So the deal with WH:U starters is that WH:U is divided into "seasons", which are marked by 1) a new starter with two warbands, 2) additional individual warbands, and 3) maybe a pack of cards for the various decks.

Only two seasons are in rotation at any given time, but this matters only for tournament play for generic cards (ie cards usable by any warbands) and battle boards only. Warbands and warband-specific cards will always remain legal (although tournament play has a list of cards where you can only play so many cards from the list).

Beastgrave is the most recent starter and you will be able to use the warbands/warband cards forever and the generic cards in the upcoming season (again, if you care about the tournament play rules). The Season 4 starter will be out At Some Point, and will have the new high elves and a mortal Slaanesh warband.

Personally I go by "rule of cool" for warbands and I think you could easily do the same, but Beastgrave would be a good starting point I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ah, nuts - does that mean that the universal cards with Mollog's Mob aren't legal anymore, since they're from Nightvault? I mean, I'm not going to be playing in tournaments any time soon anyway, but I like keeping on top of what's legal anyway just in case the opportunity arises.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ah, nuts - does that mean that the universal cards with Mollog's Mob aren't legal anymore, since they're from Nightvault? I mean, I'm not going to be playing in tournaments any time soon anyway, but I like keeping on top of what's legal anyway just in case the opportunity arises.

They're legal until Direchasm is released.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I mean Mollog is still a pretty solid warband that offers a different play experience from other warbands (except for Hrothgorn maybe), nothing wrong with picking it up and then looking forward to what universals pop up in S4 :shrug:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Right on - I pulled the trigger on Mollog because the minis are just too cool to pass up in my opinion, I'm really hyped to paint them up. I might grab Beastgrave in a while - I think it has the same problem most of the "starters" do for me, where one warband looks super cool and the other one...probably won't see my table often, if at all.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Right on - I pulled the trigger on Mollog because the minis are just too cool to pass up in my opinion, I'm really hyped to paint them up. I might grab Beastgrave in a while - I think it has the same problem most of the "starters" do for me, where one warband looks super cool and the other one...probably won't see my table often, if at all.

Both of the Beastgrave box warbands are a lot of fun to paint and play, and are well balanced against each other for intro games with friends.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

X-posting from the Oath Thread; having finally finished one Reaver (plus magnetised weapons).

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Slaapaav posted:

it will be very interesting to see how the amazon and norse throwers end up.

necromatic are the undisputed best team now with nerfs to all the elf teams?

Uh what. The Necromantic roster is downright awful at TV1000 and they lost 1/3 of their viable ball carriers in the changes. The changes to passing have pretty much ruined their status as "best league flex team".

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Started up a new warband, kind of makes me wish that the Gitmob were still a thing.

Colors on the snarlfang inspired by my beautiful model:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

LazyAngel posted:

X-posting from the Oath Thread; having finally finished one Reaver (plus magnetised weapons).

drat, that's insanely good! Fantastic sense of scale created there, too. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the oil drums etc? I don't think I've seen any tiny ones like that, anywhere

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

drat, that's insanely good! Fantastic sense of scale created there, too. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the oil drums etc? I don't think I've seen any tiny ones like that, anywhere

It's just the GW Manufactorium Imperialis kit; has oil drums, cargo containers, a couple of cranes and assorted pipework. Probably not 100% useful as terrain bar the larger storage towers and the like, but great for base scatter.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
5mm scale war gaming is Z-gauge in train collecting terms, so you can also occasionally find useful terrain or base decoration in the right scale from train hobby sellers.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Started up a new warband, kind of makes me wish that the Gitmob were still a thing.

Colors on the snarlfang inspired by my beautiful model:

This owns so much. I've been on the fence about what team I want to roll with for Underworlds and I think this inspired me.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

They're really great models! One word of avice though, despite being push-fit, some of the goblin heads are extremely spiky and unless you feel like puncturing your thumb, you're probably better off snipping the posts and just gluing them on.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That Gobbo & Snarlfang is fantastic. I have nearly finished my set although got a bit bogged down towards the end. They are such excellent models. I definitely would like there to be more minis like this!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Next AT book info, looks like Legio Ignatum Fire Wasps are go and it's finally time for me to get off my butt and start painting...

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Been playing some practise games of BFH down at the local nerd cave in preparation for the big event this Sunday...

And my Iron Warrior long patrol fleet

Here's the list :shh:

Tempest frigate x5 (40pts each) 200pts
With marine crew (15pts) 15pts

Crusade pattern Strike Cruiser x2 (180pts each) 2 shields 360pts

Cardinal heavy cruiser x2 (200pts each) 400pts
With marine crew x2 (15pts each) 30pts

Hawking class exploration cruiser x3 (170pts each) 510pts
With armoured prows (6+ front) and marine crew x3 (15+15pts each) 90pts

Vindictive pattern Grand cruiser 330pts

Fleet master (Ld 10) 50pts

Ground Laser defence silo 15pts

2k all up.

Bonus round: my new Escher gang

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rippa's Snarlfangs 2/3!

I'm kind of running out of warbands I'm interested in (at least until new ones are out in December), but since I've realized that it's not likely I'll actually play with most of the ones I've already painted (I'm looking at you, Chosen Axes), I might as well get a Warcry warband or Necromunda gang to work on.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 10, 2020

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Rippa's Snarlfangs 2/3!

I'm kind of running out of warbands I'm interested in (at least until new ones are out in December), but since I've realized that it's not likely I'll actually play with most of the ones I've already painted (I'm looking at you, Chosen Axes), I might as well get a Warcry warband or Necromunda gang to work on.

If you've got some friendly necromunda friends, you can use your fantasy gangs to play necromunda as well! There's at least one hive on Necromunda thats low tech and there are plenty of places where Orks goblins and other xenos scum hang out and cause problems. Please consider!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

xutech posted:

If you've got some friendly necromunda friends, you can use your fantasy gangs to play necromunda as well! There's at least one hive on Necromunda thats low tech and there are plenty of places where Orks goblins and other xenos scum hang out and cause problems. Please consider!

that's only oldcromunda, isn't it?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Cease to Hope posted:

that's only oldcromunda, isn't it?

You could do some counts as stuff but there is no ork rules representation in newcromunda no

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tommunist posted:

You could do some counts as stuff but there is no ork rules representation in newcromunda no

There are plague zombies and genestealers, though.

:shrug:

E: Did those fungus fantasy tyranid rumors from like 20 pages ago end up being anything?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I’ve seen people use orcs as counts-as Goliaths.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh i guess there's also venators, where you can just literally anything as long as it's the right scale

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Does anyone play Aeronautical Imperialis? I'm thinking of picking it up, it looks fun to paint and a quicker game then 40k. Worried it might feel repetitive though with the smaller armies and low model diversity.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Goliaths are increasingly appropriate to simply be run as “counts as” Orks tbqh

Some deep hive fungal infestation going through it’s annual Waaagh! phase

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 15, 2020

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

neaden posted:

Does anyone play Aeronautical Imperialis? I'm thinking of picking it up, it looks fun to paint and a quicker game then 40k. Worried it might feel repetitive though with the smaller armies and low model diversity.

This is fully based on the couple of games I've played, so YMMV. The models are cool, if somewhat pricey (GW, am I rite!?) However, I feel that you're severely limited with the board size - of course, there is nothing really stopping you from putting boards together, other than you might not be able to complete some missions on a larger surface. In the games I played, I felt that the Orks were immediately in the imperial grill and there was no way for the imperial player to really prepare, assuming the Ork got first turn.

IMO it might be ok for a beer and pretzels game (though again, really too expensive for that category) but I don't know about long term replayability, especially with GW being really slow with releases for the game.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

neaden posted:

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is fully based on the couple of games I've played, so YMMV. The models are cool, if somewhat pricey (GW, am I rite!?) However, I feel that you're severely limited with the board size - of course, there is nothing really stopping you from putting boards together, other than you might not be able to complete some missions on a larger surface. In the games I played, I felt that the Orks were immediately in the imperial grill and there was no way for the imperial player to really prepare, assuming the Ork got first turn.

IMO it might be ok for a beer and pretzels game (though again, really too expensive for that category) but I don't know about long term replayability, especially with GW being really slow with releases for the game.

AI is very cool, but like many of the GW side games they don't do a lot to make it easy for people to play. I think the starter kits are generally NOT a great place to start. The paper maps they include with are too small for even a basic game and they dont offer a good discount over just buying what you want separately. The Area of Engagement boards that GW sells separately are larger, at 3'x 3'. But even that is the smallest size the rule books recommend playing on. The books actually recommend 4'x4' for average games, but they don't actually sell a board that fits that size??? The game just calls for a standard 2 inch hex grid, so its easy to find other places that make good maps, but its still a baffling business decision from a company of GWs size.

The rulebooks are very different than other GW games. The starter box just has 'basic' rules. To get the full game rules you need either, but not both of the two campaign books. Taros and Rynns World each have the complete game rules in them as well as different squadron lists included, what you might think of as a codex from 40k. Rynns has the squadron lists for Imperial Navy and Orks, Taros has a different Imperial Navy list as well as Imperial Army, for Valks, in addition to Tau. And then each has their own separate campaign rules that play off of terrain features in the corresponding Aera of Engagement boards.

I think Aeronautica and Titanicus are the best lines of minis that GW has ever made, so everything looks great at least. There is already a fair amount of variety among the 3 1/2 squadron lists currently released with Chaos and Eldar still on the horizon. Im planning on getting a full Chaos force to go against my Imps so I have everything needed to play. I dont really expect anyone else I know is going to pick it up.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

xutech posted:

That's actually the inverse of my goal- I want a new project for when my Snarlfangs are all done!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That's actually the inverse of my goal- I want a new project for when my Snarlfangs are all done!

Titanicus!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Schadenboner posted:

There are plague zombies and genestealers, though.

:shrug:

E: Did those fungus fantasy tyranid rumors from like 20 pages ago end up being anything?

You mean the bug men teased in the Beastgrave book? There was this rumor engine from a few days ago https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/13/the-rumour-engine-13th-october-2020/

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

And that's a wrap on the Snarlfangs!

Edit: A little cleaner shot-

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 17, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The Direchasm warbands were revealed today

Myari’s Purifiers

The Dread Pageant

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Myari’s Purifiers

I’ve never seen anyone this bored while doing tai chi yoga on a bonsai hill with their pet owl

That beastman looks pretty dope though

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I’ve never seen anyone this bored while doing tai chi yoga on a bonsai hill with their pet owl

Yeah, not really digging the yoga pose. Looks awkward.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

That sums up a lot of the releases for AoS with the new high elves, pretty much.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

i don't really like their aesthetic overall but their weird stylized posing is a neat departure

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Myari’s Purifiers

That beastman looks pretty dope though

"All this yoga better help my constipation"

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

hooman posted:

"All this yoga better help my constipation"

Gettin' ready to crown a new Comet of Casandora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Scrolling past the elves then realising that yes, all of them have a bonsai tree was pretty good. Also wondering why legolas has three strings for his bow.

The bloodbowl season 2 video is good.

https://youtu.be/49OigWbL8DQ