Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This is a game that does seem worth the 12$, on the condition that you know at least three other people to play it with. I would not want to play this game with pubbies, ever.

And yeah, VR seems like it would add a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its definitely designed for VR first. You can place your flashlight and your EMF reader on your belt while they're still on, non VR users can't do that. That still leaves you with two hands to bring other stuff while you explore, which is an extra item desktop users won't have.

It's a solid experience and luckily you get past the "no equipment hump" really quick if you have friends to play it with. And they finally made the thermometer not a level 6 item, thank gently caress.

We've actually gotten into the habit of just using the in game voice + radio. It's really immersive if you do that. I had three people sat in the truck looking at total activity + cameras I had set up because the ghost only wanted to react to people who were alone, then when it started hunting me it was pretty much like watching a horror film. It's good poo poo.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 30, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Are there any must-know tips on getting started in Phasmophobia? I watched a couple of streams and while it's always hard to tell when you're not the one playing, it does seem like it's hard to figure out how the hell you're supposed to find the ghost in early rounds. Do you just kind of have to muddle through and get whatever objectives you can, until you get more tools? I'm going to play with three friends later this week, and while they all know what they're getting into, I think the smoother the early rounds go, the more likely these three are to keep playing the game. Also, does the game do a decent job of explaining how your tools work, or is there a good source online for that sort of thing? The streams I watched were for earlier versions and it sounds like the dev is fixing a lot of stuff pretty rapidly, but in particular there seemed to be some confusion about how the salt and crucifix work, and I guess some groups aren't super clear on exactly how to use the spirit box (or whether or not to use the spirit's name, or when).

I suppose I could ask in the Before I Play thread too, but this seems like enough of a niche game that I'd be more likely to get a good answer here.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
- First of all, again, use the in-game voice chats for the best experience.

- Your first few rounds, the EMF reader is your best friend. Simply walk around the house with it active immediately and if you get ANY signs, then the ghost will be there most of the time. Grab the video camera and set it up to check for ghost orbs. Grab the book and spirit box and place them nearby. Granted, sometimes the ghost might simply be so passive it won't give any results for awhile, so sometimes it might still be a crapshoot, and you might just need to rely on moving the camera around and hope someone in the van sees ghost orbs. Once you're able to, buy the thermometer immediately and finding the ghost gets much easier.

- Lights flicker whenever the ghost moves through them. This can be handy for tracking its movements by turning on hallway lights. Don't turn on too many though, or the breaker will flip. Or the ghost might just be a dick and flip the breaker itself.

- Lights need to be off to see spirit orbs, using the live feed camera in the van. They look like little fireflies and can be a little hard to see sometimes. Early on, one thing you can do is have someone hold the video camera (always make sure its one with right click, the light on the back will be green), and move room to room, and have someone in the van watch and check for ghost orbs.

- When it comes to talking to the ghost, whether by getting its attention normally, using the ouija board you'll find on the maps, or using the spirit box, there is a set of phrases you'll want to use. This list is decently sized, and I imagine more will be added over time. Don't use the ghost's name when asking any sort of question, as saying the name will simply piss it off and won't register the question asked. When using the spirit box, turn off all lights, though candle light will still work to get a response, and work to keep your sanity up. If the whiteboard says the ghost only likes it when people are alone, this simply means one person needs to be in the room, the rest can wait outside and nearby.

- You don't need to hold your flashlight out at all times. Hit T(I believe is the default) with another item out.

- Sanity reduces over time, draining quickly in the dark after the five minute mark once you begin the mission proper. As it gets lower, the ghost will get more aggressive. Also now, low sanity will cause all lights to flicker, with ONLY the insane player able to see it.

- The camera is your big money maker to start. There's a bone in every map(I believe, I might be wrong). Take a picture of it, then pick it up for more money at the end. Take photos of EMF readings. Take photos of fingerprints if they appear. The ghost visible? Take a picture if you are able to! Also turn on every sink you come across by clicking on the faucet, let it fill. When the ghost is active it might turn the water brown, which you take a picture of for more money. Also, one camera gets five pictures, so it might be worth someone bringing an extra camera for more photos.

- On the subject of fingerprints. Whenever something spooky happens, like a door opening/closing on its own, the ghost briefly appearing in windows, or the lights turning on/off on their own, use the UV light on the doors/windows/switches and check for green. They won't always appear though.

- The crucifix only works while it's either in the hands of who has it, or on the floor, and will only work if the ghost is within a specific distance when it starts its hunt. Basically, if you know where the ghost is (as it spends most its time haunting one room but will occasionally wander), place the crucifix on the center of the room. It will prevent the hunt twice (this could change).

- For lighting candles/smudge sticks, hold it as your main item and hit F while you have the lighter as another item. I believe if you have a lighter as your main item and lit, you hit the same key to light someone else's candle/smudge stick.

- In the truck you have an activity chart. 0 means the ghost ain't doing poo poo, 10 means it will be in Hunt Mode and the walkie-talkie comms will be disabled, with the varying numbers between serving to show how active it is at any moment. At lower numbers the ghost might simply throw stuff, walk around audibly, where high levels it will more directly mess with the players, become visible briefly, make spooky noises.

- On the subject of the ghost entering Hunt Mode, if you know where the ghost is at the moment it enters it (you'll know as all lights, including your flashlight, begin flickering hard), you'll have a eight seconds to break line of sight and go hide before it starts to gun for someone's rear end, though smudge sticks will increase this time. It will hear you if you talk, so stay quiet and pray. Closets and bathrooms make good hiding spots. Also, all doors to the outside lock, so no escaping during the hunt.

- In the end, figuring out what the ghost actually is, is only worth $10 atm. If you got other forms of evidence, such as photos, no harm in simply making an educated guess based off what you could gather and leaving. Better to lose $10 than have someone die, since when you die, you lose all extra equipment you bring along, getting refunded half the total cost as insurance.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 3, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Called a ghost a bitch, then it slammed shut all the doors and snapped my neck. My bud left me to die. 7/10 pretty alright.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hey Zeratanis, if you could crosspost your hints to the BeforeIPlay thread it would be very appreciated, we are always happy to see that kind of stuff there. Or I can do it for you (with attribution, of course) if you're fine with that.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Done. :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Much obliged! There's sure to be a wiki page about that game sooner rather than later now.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This is fantastic, thank you! Can you clarify one thing: Do you need to have local chat active when using the spirit box? It seems like you don't, I get the "NOTHING DETECTED" message even without chat enabled, but I've seen conflicting reports. Though I've seen conflicting reports about whether the spirit box ever works at all, in a way that feels like people just aren't patient or thorough when they use it, so who knows.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

When it comes to the spirit box in my experience, "nothing detected!" means the ghost most definitely isn't near by. Once we know where the ghost is exactly, we'll bring the spirit box in and start asking questions from the list I linked above, and if there's no response in a minute(either a voice that sounds like it came from it, or it will do one of the commands listed such as throwing something, appearing, or turning off a light)), we call it a bust and move on. I'm not sure how the voice recognition works exactly, but the ghost will definitely hear you using both local and the radio chat. Now, maybe it will listen in 100% of the time if you have a default mic set and unmuted in windows and its in listening range, but I'm not sure exactly so we always queue one of the two chats.

Here's an extra bonus tip in that regard: If you're all near each other like in the van, use the loving local chat. :argh: Gets annoying when you got one guy who wants to use the walkie-talkie always since it adds that static to your voice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's really a shame that this game is so heavily multiplayer. I would play the hell out of this if it came as a more single-player focused experience with maybe some kind of randomized campaign of steadily more violent and dangerous ghosts. There is real potential in that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cardiovorax posted:

It's really a shame that this game is so heavily multiplayer. I would play the hell out of this if it came as a more single-player focused experience with maybe some kind of randomized campaign of steadily more violent and dangerous ghosts. There is real potential in that.

:same:

This sounds perfect for me, but multiplayer isn’t my jam.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can play single player, it just takes longer. I found a demon last time i played. I even hid from it and left.

How do you get a picture of a ghost without it killing you?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, you can, the game is just visibly not built around it even just looking at streams of people playing it. I was thinking of a game that was more well-suited to being alone and that offers some sort of real framework to the experience instead of being as much of a pick-up game as Phasmophobia currently is.

Kind of like Ghost Master but backwards, I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've gone from having never heard of this game before to desperately needing to round up some friends and play it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hate horror games that reminds me that I have no friends. Too real.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’m glad my group of four played the first round just jumping in with no tutorial because after bumbling around like assholes for like ten minutes, getting a picture of some dirty water and a handprint I went out to the truck to try to figure out what to do. I went to radio to them that their sanity was low but all I got was static before hearing “[friend] is dead I’m out of here!” And then “why is the front door locked?” Which I had just gone out of and left open maybe a minute ago. I hurry to let the other teammates out before they get got. We escaped to collect that sweet sweet 30 bux which will not go towards burying our dear friend.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I do love the idea of coming out of a house, chased by a ghost that wants to murder you, a hacked-up associate still inside, sanity low, equipment missing, and the organization you're working for just sort of reaching into their pocket and pulling out 3 old 10-dollar bills for payment. Don't spend it all in one place!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I like to pretend that these are the advertising dollars you got for posting your ghost videos on Spooktube.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

I've gone from having never heard of this game before to desperately needing to round up some friends and play it

Same - All my friends who play games are not fans of horror and play poo poo like ARC.

I'd be open to some goon teams.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I would be, as well. Can VR folks play with non-VR?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

I would be, as well. Can VR folks play with non-VR?
According to the store page, it is fully cross-platform, so you can mix groups as you wish.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If there’s interest I can get a matchmaking role set up on the co-op goons server.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My group is 2 VR 2 Desktop, it works fine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Discendo Vox posted:

If there’s interest I can get a matchmaking role set up on the co-op goons server.

What server is this?

Also I’d be down for spooky co-op goon action. I bought this game for two of my friends yesterday and one flaked and the other is having technical difficulties so now I have no one to play with.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I can play tonight. I was just getting set up in VR and running through the tutorial when a delivery person knocked on my apartment door. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decided to try actually finishing Forbidden Siren which I first played back on release in 2004

Going well so far

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is the quintessential Siren experience. FWIW, I know that game backwards and forwards. You have problems with any specific mission, standard or optional solution, feel free to ask.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cheers, I'll keep it in mind

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Siren is so many cool ideas dragged down by an inscrutable mission structure and I can't recommend playing it blind.

With 13 Sentinels having a similar jumping timeline (although far more extreme) I'd love to see a return to Siren's weird set up but maybe make it so you don't have weird timing windows and perform an esoteric series of actions that carry over from one character to the next.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Siren is so many cool ideas dragged down by an inscrutable mission structure and I can't recommend playing it blind.
I... yeah, honestly? I love that game to bits. I think it is one of the best horror games that its generation of consoles ever released. There is nothing else quite like it, it makes you feel both for the protagonists and for the monsters they fight in way I have never seen another game do. Not even the sequels manage to measure up, which is why they are rightly forgotten.

Is it a goddamn loving bitch to solve many of those per-mission riddles, though, even if you read the included hint section in the manual? It absolutely is. It's why I'm offering. I love this game and I want to help another person love it, too. Feel free to hit me up anytime, I'll be glad to help. This game is a pain if you have to figure out all of that on your own. It is straight-up unfair sometimes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cardiovorax posted:

This is the quintessential Siren experience. FWIW, I know that game backwards and forwards. You have problems with any specific mission, standard or optional solution, feel free to ask.

Aren't you the guy that did lots of video LPs of Siren? I remember watching them nearly a decade ago.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Aren't you the guy that did lots of video LPs of Siren? I remember watching them nearly a decade ago.
Sorry, but I'm afraid you're really misremembering. I have never done any Siren videos, or much of any videos really.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

Siren 2 is pretty much the first game but with enough information to actually progress without insane trial and error, it goes kinda uh nuts though lol

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

dogstile posted:

You can play single player, it just takes longer. I found a demon last time i played. I even hid from it and left.

Good question! Take a picture of it chasing another player and hope that player breaks line of sight before getting killed, is my guess. They are occasionally visible even if they aren't hunting, I think. Seems like it's mostly luck.

Morpheus posted:

I do love the idea of coming out of a house, chased by a ghost that wants to murder you, a hacked-up associate still inside, sanity low, equipment missing, and the organization you're working for just sort of reaching into their pocket and pulling out 3 old 10-dollar bills for payment. Don't spend it all in one place!

Genuinely one of the funniest aspects of this game is the amount of the rewards and cost of equipment. Sure, your dear friend got murdered by a ghost, but now you have a crisp fifty dollar bill! You could buy a pretty nice digital camera with that fifty dollar bill! ... oh, no, wait, one of your teammates just bought a $30 flashlight instead, oh well.

I get that it's all in service of making the progression of what equipment you have feel steady but not overwhelming, but it does make for a very funny sort of mini-narrative when you're playing with a group. "Dave died. We got his life insurance settlement though! They say they'll pay for half the cost of the candle and salt he had on him, so at least we get $15."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Plot twist: Phasmophobia is secretly a FNAF game and takes place in the same world where you get paid less than minimum for fatal work.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Look forwards to my article on how Forbidden Siren is the Dark Souls of survival horror

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

Sometimes they visibly manifest but aren't actually murderous. Out of the three rounds I played last night, one time the ghost just showed up to stand near us while we looked around its room and the other time the ghost came at me but I guess I either outran it or it just wanted to be spooky.

Kind of incentivizes always having a camera on you I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

al-azad posted:

Plot twist: Phasmophobia is secretly a FNAF game and takes place in the same world where you get paid less than minimum for fatal work.

"here is real photographic proof of the paranormal all of my friends died getting this out of the house"

"eeehhhhhh twenty bucks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I can play some Phasmophobia any time after 8 CST tonight. What's the best way to coordinate something? It's been a while since I've played with goons.