Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Holy poo poo Lower Decks is the best Star Trek TV series and the best Star Trek movie now too!

That was really good. I'm going to be sad when this is over and there is a long wait for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the engineering scene with rutherford and billups was a fun technobabble and character building moment also

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
If I had any doubts about this series, consider them all GONE. Wow, that was exceptional.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Jake Sisko should’ve been the journalist for the hostile interview a the beginning of PIC. There would’ve been more to work with Jake’s experience of hostile automatons. That would’ve had more tension, civility, and sympathy for both characters not the ST:TMZ reporter character they used.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Crusader posted:

the engineering scene with rutherford and billups was a fun technobabble and character building moment also

"Oh it's a movie, you can teleport whatever.. you can do some crazy teleport things in a movie"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, Mariner and Freeman doing therapy would've been great for them with a decent therapist.

Oh my god the credits music.

Oh my god the dramatic ship shots music.

How did they make the music sound so much like the original without actually being it?

Oh god the ship shots aren't ever stopping.

Ahahah ridiculous new different warp effects every movie.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's glorious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeez, they really blew the FX budget this week.

Haha. "You can do all sorts of beaming stuff in a movie!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Two things stood out to me about this episode (which was otherwise probably the best of the season, although that's really not saying much):

1. Bringing up the idea that the prime directive might be bad actually and then doing nothing with it: it's been brought up before, both within and outside of Star Trek itself, so just throwing it out there like as though you're making a clever observation is lazy as gently caress.

2. No one knows Mariner is the captain's daughter? Isn't it in her personnel file? How did the captain keep it from the other high-ranking officers? If they'd said that Boimler didn't know I'd buy that; he seems pretty unobservant and generally clueless. But no one knows? What?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was so good :lol:

So good I'll have to re-watch it just to get my comments in. Enjoyed it way too much.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The JJ bridge lens flare was spot on.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god the dramatic ship shots music.

How did they make the music sound so much like the original without actually being it?

Oh god the ship shots aren't ever stopping.

You are going to sit there and ADMIRE that starship until we feel you have sufficiently admired it. Less talk. More gazing in wonder.

This episode was fantastic. Here's hoping they can hit this bar in season two.

Speaking of bars, I am amused by the logo on the wall in the Cerritos crew lounge...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I knew I knew that rat species from somewhere! It's from an early TNG episode where the enterprise has to try to broker peace between them and their neighbours, another race of lizard people they like to eat.

The episode comedically ends with the rat-dude diplomat eating one of the lizard people diplomats while the enterprise crew was distracted. :shrug:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

J33uk posted:

Goodness me this weeks Lower Decks is exceptional.

Oh it was fantastic.

Really glad that Tendi got sick of Mariner’s psycho fantasy. Interested to see where they go next.

But they really need to tweak Bradford’s character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL the reason they always avoided exploring Mariner's character motivations was because they were saving it for a big set piece at the end of the season. I fuckin' called it back in August:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They lampshaded another issue in the latest episode when Ransom flat out asks Captain Freeman why she doesn't just kick Mariner off the ship and she just raises her eyebrow and doesn't answer.

Maybe they're saving all the foundational characterization for a big reveal and plot advancement later in the season?

Weird decision. Episode was still great fun regardless.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Great episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL the reason they always avoided exploring Mariner's character motivations was because they were saving it for a big set piece at the end of the season. I fuckin' called it back in August:

Weird decision. Episode was still great fun regardless.

It's all stuff that was pretty much shown in the preceding episodes, they just took the opportunity here to spell it out directly. (maybe to make sure everyone had gotten it before they move on it next week?)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

hoping for more increasingly ridiculous iterations of [ACTIVITY] with [HISTORICAL FIGURE] on the holodeck

slalom with Sarek

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, just from the next week preview:

Picard: AI peoples will be oppressed and have to fight for their rights and recognition!

Lower Decks: Exocomps can join Starfleet and they paint the uniform on and it's adorable!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

It's all stuff that was pretty much shown in the preceding episodes, they just took the opportunity here to spell it out directly. (maybe to make sure everyone had gotten it before they move on it next week?)

Yeah. It was a good episode by Lower Decks standards but it was just spelling out the thing we all knew. Mariner hates rules but cares about the people around her, which is... yes? Tendi and Rutherford still don't actually have personalities yet, and it's a little distressing that Boimler seems to be regressing as a character into a 'is spineless and useless' lazy joke button.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: when ya get to hell, tell the Pah-wraiths that SHAXS SENT YA

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Drone posted:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: when ya get to hell, tell the Pah-wraiths that SHAXS SENT YA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crusader posted:

hoping for more increasingly ridiculous iterations of [ACTIVITY] with [HISTORICAL FIGURE] on the holodeck

slalom with Sarek

Dabo with Damar.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tongo with Tuvok

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Transporting with Tuvix

Too soon?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Transporting with Sonak

More informative

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

MikeJF posted:

Also, just from the next week preview:

Picard: AI peoples will be oppressed and have to fight for their rights and recognition!

Lower Decks: Exocomps can join Starfleet and they paint the uniform on and it's adorable!

lol

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The episode had me with the long Cerritos flyby.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
This was the best episode so far, by a lot. Agreed with Tiggum that's not saying a lot, but I also want to point out that it's funny the most "Star Trek" thing so far is a parody of the movies we've talked about not being "Star Trek" enough.

The Holodeck movie felt a lot like Galaxy Quest, really.

This episode also has some factors I'll decide if they're good after next episode if the characters have any growth.

Oh, and the mother-daughter thing isn't interesting in the slightest as a secret.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

That was fun. And I really hope the showrunners release a soundtrack. I want a clean copy of the TWOK-lite score.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I propose we extend Lower Decks to an hour, and cut Discovery to 25 min each ep.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

Oh, and the mother-daughter thing isn't interesting in the slightest as a secret.

Tiggum posted:

Two things stood out to me about this episode (which was otherwise probably the best of the season, although that's really not saying much):

1. Bringing up the idea that the prime directive might be bad actually and then doing nothing with it: it's been brought up before, both within and outside of Star Trek itself, so just throwing it out there like as though you're making a clever observation is lazy as gently caress.

2. No one knows Mariner is the captain's daughter? Isn't it in her personnel file? How did the captain keep it from the other high-ranking officers? If they'd said that Boimler didn't know I'd buy that; he seems pretty unobservant and generally clueless. But no one knows? What?

The only way this works if you think about it is if nobody on the show has bothered at any point to establish each other's surnames.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Alchenar posted:

The only way this works if you think about it is if nobody on the show has bothered at any point to establish each other's surnames.

Well Mariner's surname is Beckett and the Captain's surname is Freeman.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Well Mariner's surname is Beckett and the Captain's surname is Freeman.

I just checked imdb and apparently her surname in Mariner and her firstname is Beckett.

Which does answer that question but raises yet more. And it's not like there hasn't been time to explore this stuff, there's been an entire episode where Mariner and Freeman were alone together.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think everyone is being referred to by last name.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mariner is starting to chill out a bit, which is nice, but Boimler is just taking a nosedive and it kind of sucks. I think my issue is that it feels like punching down, the dude's just an ensign so he's already at the bottom so him continuing to be the butt of jokes or continuously poo poo on by the plot and cast isn't funny, it's mean. It also doesn't help that any wins he gets are immediately taken away by things like "oh it was a parasite, I guess no one actually loves him" or "oh look, Mariner set up the Ferengi thing, she's always hypercompetent" or the whole entire plot of going to the planet for medical anomalies.

I guess my problem is I don't like characters as punching bags when they don't really deserve it, he's not Jerry from Rick & Morty, he seems more like a less competent Barkley.

About the episode I would bet money that in-universe Mariner has been working on that holodeck movie for quite a while, she just now has a group of friends that will fill out the cast

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I propose we extend Lower Decks to an hour, and cut Discovery to 25 min each ep.

How about we extend Lower Decks by 13 episodes and just cut Discovery?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Zaroff posted:

How about we extend Lower Decks by 13 episodes and just cut Discovery?

Tough but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What if we memory hole Enterprise and extend Lower Decks by however long that ran?