Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bleck posted:

yeah I don't really like his art and I especially don't think it's a very good fit for One Piece

I do like his art but I thnk its godawful for one piece. Whitebeard NEEDS a solid stache, no individual hairs should be visible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

There's simply no way he could store a banana in that stache!!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

:siren: Manlet Confirmed :siren:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
No wonder sanji looks so short standing beside shirahoshi

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Identical quadruplets but different heights because :science:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The cigarettes stunted Sanji's growth

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He did starve himself for like a month

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You'd think his diet during that time would give him a leg up.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
It's pretty commonly believed that Oda is still working on drawing even when he's sick, so I hope that he listens to the doctors on this one and gets some rest.

I know a bunch of goobers throw a hissyfit that Oda takes too many breaks. I'm glad it doesn't seem like anyone here ever does that. It's super annoying.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scratchman Apoo posted:

It's pretty commonly believed that Oda is still working on drawing even when he's sick, so I hope that he listens to the doctors on this one and gets some rest.

I know a bunch of goobers throw a hissyfit that Oda takes too many breaks. I'm glad it doesn't seem like anyone here ever does that. It's super annoying.

Really all weekly mangaka deserve more breaks, given the tight work schedules.

Something I had been thinking about, that I would be really curious to see WSJ or another weekly magazine try, would be to double their roster of running series, but rotate them bi-weekly. That way mangaka have a much healthier living schedule, that'll lead to an improvement of art and story, and you'll have more new series (and potential cash cows) running. The only downside would be less chapters of a specific series per year, but I'd personally be fine with it if it meant giving other series a chance to shine.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Julias posted:

Really all weekly mangaka deserve more breaks, given the tight work schedules.

Something I had been thinking about, that I would be really curious to see WSJ or another weekly magazine try, would be to double their roster of running series, but rotate them bi-weekly. That way mangaka have a much healthier living schedule, that'll lead to an improvement of art and story, and you'll have more new series (and potential cash cows) running. The only downside would be less chapters of a specific series per year, but I'd personally be fine with it if it meant giving other series a chance to shine.

Is the monthly schedule as much of a grind? Weekly is 19 pages and Monthly is like 30 to 40, seems like half the work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meme Emulator posted:

Is the monthly schedule as much of a grind? Weekly is 19 pages and Monthly is like 30 to 40, seems like half the work.

I know that Miura basically works throughout his breaks/hiatuses, but his art is pretty drat involved even with assistants.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

Identical quadruplets but different heights because :science:

I am an identical twin and My sibling is taller than i am. its not that uncommon.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Anyone know how many months/years in advance an author plans their storyboard for a weekly series? Feels like 40h/week alone is spent on drawing, let alone planning the plot.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I just don't want Oda to kill himself. The way he's been living this whole time means that anytime he gets sick like this, it's real scary.

No author should be made or allowed to work anywhere near resembling the way he works, the companies involved are basically killing him slowly by letting it happen.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Asuron posted:

I just don't want Oda to kill himself. The way he's been living this whole time means that anytime he gets sick like this, it's real scary.

No author should be made or allowed to work anywhere near resembling the way he works, the companies involved are basically killing him slowly by letting it happen.

To be honest I never thought we’d be living in an era of anime where shonen adaptations started happening seasonally and not just an episode a week, every week with the only breaks being for natural disasters and holidays, so maybe weekly shonen author schedules are next.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest I never thought we’d be living in an era of anime where shonen adaptations started happening seasonally and not just an episode a week, every week with the only breaks being for natural disasters and holidays, so maybe weekly shonen author schedules are next.

That seems to be happening with the Bleach guy's new manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

That seems to be happening with the Bleach guy's new manga.

Hadn’t heard of this. Is it any better than Bleach?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Worth keeping in mind that early Bleach was extremely good shonen, and it wasn't until Hueco Mundo (which started 244 chapters in) that its flaws started to take over.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Larryb posted:

Hadn’t heard of this. Is it any better than Bleach?
It was way too wordy for me, like Kubo was trying to get every single bit of lore dump in the first couple chapters knowing that it might become a regular weekly manga again. Functionally it's Bleach in London but with witches/magic instead of soul reapers/swords and dragons instead of ghosts :shrug:

It does take place in the same universe though, so potentially we COULD see the Bleach cast

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So what's it called? That sounds fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Burn the Witch. It just finished a 4 chapter limited run in Jump, with a "second season" coming soon, and there's a movie that's going to go up on Crunchyroll today at 8pm ET

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Scratchman Apoo posted:

anyone that complains is just completely absurd. its a week off here and there. at this juncture ig its just cuz i have the perspective that i've been reading this poo poo for like 12 years in a row now or something but like, what do i care if the man takes even months off. go live your life oda, i'll be here anxiously awaiting more stories about The Man Who Will Become King Of The Pirates

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sub Harrison posted:

Anyone know how many months/years in advance an author plans their storyboard for a weekly series? Feels like 40h/week alone is spent on drawing, let alone planning the plot.

Going by Bakuman, usually the author is working 2 chapters ahead of what's currently being published that week. The mangaka might have a storyboard and ideas in their head of where the series is going, but they have to be flexible to adjust to the readers tastes. In a more traditional sense, the manga will first create what is called a name, which is a rough draft of the chapter, they will go over it with their editors and assistants to discuss it and any changes to it, and from there start working on the actual chapter proper.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

what everyone was waiting for. did he or didnt he?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8aZ3tSv0M

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
given that oda has recently given us his all time 3 favorite one piece scenes, let's take a somethingawful one piece thread tally of the same question. bonus challenge, no honorable mentions or anything of the sort, you gotta stick with 3 scenes, that's it.

i go with:

1. "i want to live" - robin's def my favorite straw hat, this moment can make me cry re-reading it lol
2. the hour of legend - oden might be my all time favorite character design in the story, and this was truly a great reveal for how they survived
3. fisher tiger refuses the human blood - what a powerful scene and fisher tiger i think continues to top my list of favorite characters in the story as well, so he's got to make the list, another tear jerker

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
mark's bit on how lucky we are to be reading one piece before it ends really rings true at times like this. I like his vids on one piece but I'm a sucker for this poo poo in general (because one piece is my favourite piece of fiction no close second)

my 3 favourite scenes are
1. Blackbeard taking the quake-quake fruit
2. Koala joining the Sun Pirates
3. Luffy vs Usopp

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 2, 2020

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

tbp posted:

given that oda has recently given us his all time 3 favorite one piece scenes, let's take a somethingawful one piece thread tally of the same question. bonus challenge, no honorable mentions or anything of the sort, you gotta stick with 3 scenes, that's it.

1. Going Merry's funeral (just thinking about that is making me cry, lol)
2. Luffy & the Impel Down escapees arriving at Marineford
3. The Strawhats' farewell to Vivi

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tbp posted:

i go with:

1. "i want to live" - robin's def my favorite straw hat, this moment can make me cry re-reading it lol
2. the hour of legend - oden might be my all time favorite character design in the story, and this was truly a great reveal for how they survived
3. fisher tiger refuses the human blood - what a powerful scene and fisher tiger i think continues to top my list of favorite characters in the story as well, so he's got to make the list, another tear jerker

1. I WANT TO LIVE (assuming this counts the group pose)
2. Nami crying for Luffy's help in Fishman Island
3. Luffy v Usopp

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

1) "I've had...a MARVELOUS LIFE!!! THANK YOU, CHOPPER!!!"
2) "Usopp, shoot that flag."
3) "One Piece...it exists!!!"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The moments that resonated with me the most

1.) I want to live. Specifically, before that, when Luffys asking Robin for her answer he says something like "If you still want to die, then do it with us" and I dunno why but I think thats really sweet
2.) Luffy counting up his crew on his fingers after Aces death. That always hit harder for me than Ace dying
3.) The entire sequence when Tonjit invites Luffy in his home and then offers them 10 year old milk. Seriously look at that again, its like a page and a half long and theres 10 gags packed into it. It has to be the densest section of jokes in all of one piece

e: If I want to put Oda going hard on a joke, I might have to replace 3 with the Enel face. Its just so undignified and perfect after 50 chapters of seeing the Most Powerful Man In The World one shot everybody

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 2, 2020

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
1. Nami asking for Luffy's help in the Arlong Saga.
2. Blackbeard's motivational speech on Jaya
3. The Florian Triangle Mystery Creatures

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

1. Nami's cry for help into the march to Arlong Park
2. Farewell to Vivi
3. "I want to live"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
in no particular order

- Farewell to Vivi
- I Want To Live
- Born To Boil

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

-I Want To Live
-Merry's funeral
-Binks' Sake

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

i go with:

Do scenes that I remember because of the anime count? Cause if so, in no order, because gently caress that’s asking a lot:

- the end of Zoro vs Mihawk, it was just very affecting to see this guy who’s regarded as pretty much the strongest guy in East Blue reduced to blubbering like a baby because he shamed his captain, at least on my first watch of the anime, with the anime’s stellar OST playing.

- Luffy vs Crocodile, round 3. The anime padding actually makes this better with the build to Luffy breaking through the ceiling and causing small earthquake in the process, and From The New World playing for not only the climax of the fight but pretty much the entire rest of the episode makes it a singular moment in shonen to me.

- Ace’s death. Seeing Luffy just shut down completely because he’s so emotionally spent is such a brutally shocking thing. I guess it’s not a moment I “enjoy” in the conventional sense, because Luffy’s our boy, but I appreciate it’s existence because even with the buildup of Luffy having to use attacks stronger than he is since Ennies Lobby to keep up with his enemies, after the years of the manga dedicated to save Ace, and Luffy doping himself to hell on vigor hormones, I feel like almost no one thought it could actually happen. I’m not glad it happened but it makes One Piece a much stronger series for not wimping out on something that, in retrospect, Oda had been working to for a very long while. So I guess it’s one of my favorites.

Also it doesn’t count obviously but I really and truly adore the scene where Hancock gives Luffy the “choice” between” saving the petrified amazons and being stranded on Amazon Lily and he just never even stops to consider what a big deal that is with his present situation and just immediately starts groveling.

edit: wow, binging shitass scans of the old arcs has really colored my opinion on goodass OP moments, looking at these other comments

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 2, 2020

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
1) nothing happened
2) a pirates dream will never end!
3) luffy decks bellamy

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

tbp posted:

i go with:

I think for me, and this is for the most part just restated from others, it's:

1. "I want to live"
2. Merry's funeral
3. "If you ever look back on your memories of me...I want you to remember my smile!". The Corazon flashback just genuinely hit me hard as hell at that point and that particular scene has continued to stick with me.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

1)I WANNA LIVE
2)Walk to Arlong Park
3)Remember the Buggy Ball? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I feel like this list could change pretty easily depending on my mood. But right now:

1. Shoot down that flag
2. Luffy smiling at his execution in Loguetown
3. Nothing at all