Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I mostly stopped watching because 4 episodes in I still hadn't figured out what the show was supposed to be about. "10 hours of padding" makes me think that wasn't' actually answered at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

also the biggest thing thats annoyed me this entire season isn't any of the inexplicable behavior, its that the non-Mithraic have to be ATHEISTS!!!!!! instead of just, you know, not believing in the Mithraic religion.

I also hate it but it helps to think about it in terms of the Mithraic worldview, and in that way I think it's pretty good for worldbuilding, except they never bothered to explain it.

Of course a world-dominating religion which employs super weapons would have a single word for non-believers and lump 'everyone else' all in together linguistically. The writers just chose a word with strange real-world connotations that crosses the uncanny valley and never bothered to explain why the audience should view it differently than that, which, to be honest is a strength or a weakness of this show depending on your perspective.

E: There is a scene in EP 1 when the Mithriac cleric approaches mother and Campion for the first time and he says 'what is your faith', and her response is 'we are not believers', which I think means atheist is a branded term and not a self-identification. It's the Mithraic n-word.

Sally Sprodgkin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 1, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Idk about that the show seems to have gone out of its way to make people identified as Atheists talk like mid-2000s New Atheists.

"Mithraic n-word" is a good username though.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Sheriff Falc posted:

I also hate it but it helps to think about it in terms of the Mithraic worldview, and in that way I think it's pretty good for worldbuilding, except they never bothered to explain it.

Of course a world-dominating religion which employs super weapons would have a single word for non-believers and lump 'everyone else' all in together linguistically. The writers just chose a word with strange real-world connotations that crosses the uncanny valley and never bothered to explain why the audience should view it differently than that, which, to be honest is a strength or a weakness of this show depending on your perspective.

E: There is a scene in EP 1 when the Mithriac cleric approaches mother and Campion for the first time and he says 'what is your faith', and her response is 'we are not believers', which I think means atheist is a branded term and not a self-identification. It's the Mithraic n-word.

in the first episode mother tells the children that they're explicitly atheists (the "atheists sent us here") and says "belief in the unreal can comfort the human mind, but also weakens it. the civilization you're seeding here will be built on humanity's belief in itself, not an imagined deity." she also tells campion "only science can help you - you are atheists, peaceful, technocratic." I know the comparison has been made before, but it really did feel like that awful South Park episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Father is jealous

Space Ragnar tripping balls on Necromancer eye juice is :discourse:

"They're devolving" :laffo:

Gonz posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

The whole final 15 mins :staredog:

badjohny posted:

I got the impression that the 2nd ark was from a different religion. It had a different symbol on the bottom of it. I thought the Followers of Sol only had enough resources for one ark, but that does not mean other religions didn't also have arks.

Ya this was my read on it too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This show has interesting aesthetics but it's way too predictable. The last episode just felt like knocking over dominoes we already saw set up. Nothing much new there. Like, it was pretty clear from episode 5 or whatever that Mother was going to give birth to a flying snake creature which isn't even the same species as the skeletons of the other snake creatures we've seen, then she and Father were going to take the lander straight through the planet core into the tropical zone and then jump out, and meanwhile there are de-evolving humans and also an android and also a new ark and also Ragner got superpowers from eating an eyeball but now he's also tripping balls. Like, if you've seen even half the series you already know what that spoiler is going to say.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

in the first episode mother tells the children that they're explicitly atheists (the "atheists sent us here") and says "belief in the unreal can comfort the human mind, but also weakens it. the civilization you're seeding here will be built on humanity's belief in itself, not an imagined deity." she also tells campion "only science can help you - you are atheists, peaceful, technocratic." I know the comparison has been made before, but it really did feel like that awful South Park episode.

True. The only answer I have is that after some time it would follow a course of reason for the 'atheists' to self-identify with their branding and use it. Perhaps they have been persecuted to the point of losing their own linguistic ques. This is not uncommon in history and seems to fit with the guerrilla atheists we're shown in the show, who don't seem to have a cohesive power structure.

I think we've now thought about this more than the show-runners did though. There might not be a satisfying answer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

When Mother? Father? said "They're devolving." I knew exactly what kind of finale and show it was going to be. Now I am here for all the stupid.

Also the s2 thread title should be :lost: in Space.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also mother literally howls like a wolf in the first episode - thats just one they threw in for the careful watchers, though. a little easter egg so to speak.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Also wait aren't neanderthals smarter than humans? Or at least have bigger brains or something? Homo sapiens just outbred them so we won through numbers.

Devolving doesn't even fit in that context. :negative:

I will fully admit to being wrong on this nitpick so feel free to correct me.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also wait aren't neanderthals smarter than humans? Or at least have bigger brains or something? Homo sapiens just outbred them so we won through numbers.

fun fact: you can't actually devolve, you just evolve into something new. its very troubling that the ATHEISTS who LOVE SCIENCE don't know this.

quote:

From a biological perspective, there is no such thing as devolution. All changes in the gene frequencies of populations--and quite often in the traits those genes influence--are by definition evolutionary changes. The notion that humans might regress or "devolve" presumes that there is a preferred hierarchy of structure and function--say, that legs with feet are better than legs with hooves or that breathing with lungs is better than breathing with gills. But for the organisms possessing those structures, each is a useful adaptation.

(For real this show is kind of bad but also has good visuals but yes if you think too hard about the plot or the dialogue your head starts to hurt)

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

lol yeah saying "they're devolving!!!" had me laughing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fun fact: you can't actually devolve, you just evolve into something new. its very troubling that the ATHEISTS who LOVE SCIENCE don't know this.

(For real this show is kind of bad but also has good visuals but yes if you think too hard about the plot or the dialogue your head starts to hurt)

Right.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-evolution-brought-flightless-bird-back-extinction-180972166/

quote:

Around 136,000 years ago, the Aldabra atoll in the Indian Ocean was inundated by a major flood that wiped out all the terrestrial animals that lived there—among them a species of flightless bird called the Aldabra rail. Tens of thousands of years later, sea levels fell back, once again making life possible on the atoll. And, according to a new study, the once-extinct Aldabra rail came back.

At some point in the distant past, rails landed on Aldabra. There were no predators on the atoll, rendering the birds’ ability to fly unnecessary—so they lost it. And in the wake of the inundation event, the process happened again: Rails arrived on Aldabra and, faced with a lack of predation, once again lost their flight.

This article is what I was reminded of. Birds just evolved back into a species that had gone extinct earlier because nature be like that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 1, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Right.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-evolution-brought-flightless-bird-back-extinction-180972166/

This article is what I was reminded of. Birds just evolved back into a species that had gone extinct earlier because nature be like that.

Right - except (small nitpick) you don't evolve "back" - because back connotes a hierarchy of traits - you just evolve.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Neanderthals had larger brain cases and more brawn, which required more calories to keep running.
Homo sapiens are lighter, leaner, and can be fueled by total garbage for endless generations, so we edged them out.
Our propensity for loving literally anything helped preserve some Neanderthal traits which wore down to lil genes over time.
So in a way fragments of them get to witness the collapse of the civilizations of the shrieking, less-smart, trasher eaters which out competed them.

:sun::unsmith:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHA man that ending. HAHA. eh

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DrPop posted:

Idk about that the show seems to have gone out of its way to make people identified as Atheists talk like mid-2000s New Atheists.

Yeah, it's super weird and feels a little bit like the writers wanted to embed some late 90s/early 2000s internet flame wars into the show for... no reason?

I get the sense that it's the same reason that we've got weirdo Mithraics instead of Christians or whatever, though. They really wanted a show with religious wars that goes out of its way to not paint the religious people as the bad guys.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder why "Sol" told Paul that they have to stay on "this side of the planet" and not go to the tropical zone because it's not safe for the baby. Did "Sol" know what the baby actually is? It seemed to be just fine in the final scene.

Maybe the tropical zone is the atheist paradise and Space Ragnar walked really far really fast and found them.

What I'm saying is strap in boys, space snake is in charge now.

https://i.imgur.com/oXLJkMa.mp4

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

^^ I'm sure it will all be explain-ahahahahahahah

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's super weird and feels a little bit like the writers wanted to embed some late 90s/early 2000s internet flame wars into the show for... no reason?

I get the sense that it's the same reason that we've got weirdo Mithraics instead of Christians or whatever, though. They really wanted a show with religious wars that goes out of its way to not paint the religious people as the bad guys.

Agreed.

The show really suffers because of this, though. I said this earlier in the thread but the Mithraic religion as shown in the show seems pretty milquetoast and inoffensive. They could build it up with some kind of religious syncretic background but haven't really done that; the only indicator of such is the medical droid in episode two singing Good King Wenceslas as he works on Mary and Caleb. And that's probably just an oversight/meaningless like MarySue saying "Jesus Christ."

So far the biggest knock against the Mithraics seems to be that they made Necromancers.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Should have been the series finale. Don't know where else they could go with this

e: also, lmao every single theory was wrong. Nobody itt predicted mother givjng birth to a flying baby snake and then travelling through the planet core

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 1, 2020

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I thought about it, I just didn't want to ruin the surprise :colbert:

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Gotta wait for my dealer to drop off lunch before I can find proper inspiration to write up about the clerarly kabbalistic themes of this show :lsd:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DrPop posted:

Lol, and furthermore, lmao

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everyone on this show is a complete smooth brain but the androids are the worst "We need to kill this alien snake baby" "Let's throw it down a hole" "No it can fly" "Then the only possible remaining option, literally the only conceivable tactic, is to put it inside an aircraft and fly it into the hole and ram into the core of the planet"

Just exquisite. I don't mean that as an insult, it's incredible screenwriting. An absolute commitment to transcending the banal nerd constraints of 'logic'.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ridley Scott is doing an ama right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/j3dq5n

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

General Battuta posted:

Everyone on this show is a complete smooth brain but the androids are the worst "We need to kill this alien snake baby" "Let's throw it down a hole" "No it can fly" "Then the only possible remaining option, literally the only conceivable tactic, is to put it inside an aircraft and fly it into the hole and ram into the core of the planet"

Just exquisite. I don't mean that as an insult, it's incredible screenwriting. An absolute commitment to transcending the banal nerd constraints of 'logic'.

It was amazing since it came like one scene after the scene where someone got shot with a gun.

Edit: the only non-pointless answer so far from the AMA

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 1, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I've contributed my articulate and necessary thoughts, wasting no one's time at all.

quote:

I just watched the Raised by Wolves season finale and what? What? What is...what?

Love your imagery and commitment to the absolutely horrific and surreal and strange, I really hope you get to do a third David movie.

But to circle back to Raised by Wolves: what the gently caress?

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

General Battuta posted:

An absolute commitment to transcending the banal nerd constraints of 'logic'.

Thread title?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ok folks, now that the first shock has worn off its time to get the brain trust together and solve this thing

- We know neanderthals evolved on earth and very likely never went into space, so there are some ancient aliens involved who brought them over

- caves paintings usually do not predicted the future so there is some time travellin' going on

- the snakes are definitely the baddies in this thing

- the weird dodecahedron with the disk jockey helmet is a birthing chamber for flying snakes and it had a dead necromancer in it who probably have birth to some snake

- sol is a snake/former snake

- pepe silvia???

What can we do with this? Anyone has a good theory? Questions that are still open:

- why did all the weird poo poo only start after the ark appeared? what triggered sol to appear?

- are white guys neanderthal descendents?

- if the snakes are mammals, do they have tits?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
The AMA includes this beauty:

HBOMax on behalf of Ridley Scott posted:

The trick of what I do for a living is to avoid repetition and, at all costs, try to search for originality and freshness.
Thank you so much for your comments, it makes me feel great!

I guess you couldn't say you'd ever seen space snakes being born from an android's mouth before.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s not a snake.

It’s a lamprey.

A space lamprey.

Him a big boy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Gonz posted:

It’s not a snake.

It’s a lamprey.

A space lamprey.

Him a big boy.

It's actually Satan and they have landed in the tropical zone which is Eden.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GABA ghoul posted:

Ok folks, now that the first shock has worn off its time to get the brain trust together and solve this thing

- We know neanderthals evolved on earth and very likely never went into space, so there are some ancient aliens involved who brought them over

- are white guys neanderthal descendents?

In the context of the completely idiotic “they’re devolving” line I think the story is that homo sapiens either came from or arrived to Kepler 22b and then somehow “devolved” into homo neanderthalensis.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Someone mentioned a comic book that explained some things. If you google for it official HBO material says the 1st issue is free and you can apparently download it in a comic book app or Kindle or something. But if you don’t have those then search for “raised by wolves #1 download” and find a link there.

E: I had an actual link but I realized that it might be a gray area cause there are other comic books to read on that site that probably aren’t free so just to be safe.

E2: Just wanna be clear official HBO material says the first episode is available for free so I don’t see an issue with finding jpegs of it online to read instead of downloading a comic book app that you’re going to use once.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 1, 2020

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:psypop:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Someone mentioned a comic book that explained some things. If you google for it it says the 1st issue is free.

https://readcomicsonline.ru/comic/hbo-maxraised-by-wolves-2020/1/1

You can read it there instead of downloading some comic book app. Or if that link does work just search “raised by wolves #1”.

No

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yes i realize my mistake so could you edit that link out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Here's a link from a legit comics site (and it is legitimately free)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
so here's a thought, since the "carbos" were radioactive, and only grew around the bones of the snakes

couldn't one possible reason for that be that they absorbed radioactivity(?)/radioactive properties from the android milkblood in their evolution, and whatever mineral present in the cores of the carbos absorbed that, when growing around snakebones? probably thunking too hard about this?

that aside...

my theory is that there are now three distinct timelines/time periods in the show: the kids are in the "primeline", the androids and snakebaby are in the past, and spacegar somehow warped to a variant of the future, given they "know his ark crashed" and there's a giant one above him.

going to lol when spacegar finds out that in future kepler22b the same athiest-mithraic conflict still exists given the children's beliefs, assuming that's a future timeline where they survives. initially I thought he shot the grown versions of the kids, which would have been a pretty hilarious and horrifying moment.

I'm in for s2, but yeah no loving idea where they go from here.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Oh my god, I was wrong, it was Earth all along, you've finally made a monkey snake out of me

Edit: This does not take place in the Aliens universe