Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well that's loving great, I ordered these and the company subbed in cheap 16 CHF sensors, which have the wrong colour valve stem, for the OEM ones. But still charged me full price for them. What a loving hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This is weird. Since getting my 993, I haven't lusted after any other sports cars.

Although I have had a stray thought or two about that green 996 Turbo.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Residency Evil posted:

This is weird. Since getting my 993, I haven't lusted after any other sports cars.

Although I have had a stray thought or two about that green 996 Turbo.

The 993 is truly the most gorgeous 911, and with the air-cooled sound to boot. Must be fantastic.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I really love this color but I don't think I can justify the price.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/abingdon-2001-porsche-911-carrera-k/7201278966.html

Holding out for the dream mid-teens priced, well-kept, high-ish mileage 996.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

willroc7 posted:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/abingdon-2001-porsche-911-carrera-k/7201278966.html

That’s a fantastic color combo for a 996. The price of that car reflects that it has low miles and has apparently been well-maintained, and a proper ims fix. If the seller would take a reasonable offer closer to 20k I would say that’s a great price for what you’re getting. Even at that asking price you would be getting your money’s worth. I wish I was done building my house and had this house sold, I’d be really tempted to jump on that one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I saw on another forum a photo of the Taycan frunk without all the panelling. There's a lot of plumbing in there!

That's going to be expensive if you prang it into anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you hit anything with the car such that the structural elements deform it is going to be expensive no matter what.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willroc7 posted:

Might be a *tad* on the high side, but looks legit and I agree that color combo is really nice. Don't insult him, but if I were in the market I'd throw something at him that you could afford, see if he bites.

Waiting for a mid teens 911 is a crapshoot and liable to get you something you'll be spending a lot more on in the short term.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

I saw on another forum a photo of the Taycan frunk without all the panelling. There's a lot of plumbing in there!

It's like that RX-7 diagram, except more likely to kill you.

slidebite posted:

Might be a *tad* on the high side, but looks legit and I agree that color combo is really nice. Don't insult him, but if I were in the market I'd throw something at him that you could afford, see if he bites.

Waiting for a mid teens 911 is a crapshoot and liable to get you something you'll be spending a lot more on in the short term.

Yeah, that looks like a pretty well taken care of car. Touching up the paint/dents wouldn't be too much, right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

knox_harrington posted:

So much for EVs being simpler. What's all that stuff, battery cooling and A/C?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mobby_6kl posted:

So much for EVs being simpler. What's all that stuff, battery cooling and A/C?

Anything orange is 800V, the spaghetti is battery cooling and maybe other cooling / heat pump and presumably air con somewhere in there.

The silver cube at the bottom is where the front motor is and I think that part of it is the controller.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Residency Evil posted:

It's like that RX-7 diagram, except more likely to kill you.

Yeah, that looks like a pretty well taken care of car. Touching up the paint/dents wouldn't be too much, right?

Cheaper than a new M96! :buddy:

A local small dent/scratch place could probably do a decent job for under <$1K

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Imperfections are character. As long as they aren't breaking paint and rusting out or cracking one could just as well leave them alone, because keeping the car perfect while still enjoying it is impossible. I think I've called this the 'Clean Jeep Fallacy'.

I've got some tiny plastic rash on my driver's rear bumper and passenger side skirt. If I get rear ended (Khorne forbid a fifth time) then it'll get fixed, and I'll ask them to touch up the side as well. Incidentally the guy who sold me the car had his 718 rear-ended like three days later; I hope I didn't pass my curse along.

Waited a long time to slap this on something worthy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hit 60k miles on the Boxster so needed a major service. Checked though the paper work it came with just in case and oh previous owner had the 60k service done the month before he traded it in. So thanks for saving me trying to change the plugs on a mod engines car there. Still going to do the oil this weekend.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Even though it's something like $200 I think the plastic splitter on the Cayman is so useful since some of the ramps where are live can get decently steep and it's not hard to scrape the lip.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I have to exit a different way than I come in at home because I bonk the nose without a decent angle. Someone elsewhere was right though, and switching PASM to Sport will keep it from scraping in places I know it has before.

The Cayman lip seems intended to be sacrificial. It slots in sideways and is held by just one screw.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7 posted:

The seller is willing to take 22,5. What do you guys think? Is this close to a definite buy price? Any goons in the Baltimore area?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The seller is willing to take 22,5. What do you guys think? Is this close to a definite buy price? Any goons in the Baltimore area?

I forget if you're that last person that I asked this to in this thread: Can you afford to throw away $25 grand? If so, go buy the car. Chances are very, very high you will not be throwing away $25k, but it's possible.

It looks like it's worth $22.5k based on the listing and whatever would typically be missing/unknown from a listing like that.

Not sure about the color - uncommon, but it's probably a negative on price. It's kinda....specific. So I'd be sure about that first, because if you like a color that most people don't you might be able to get one at a (larger) discount.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Are you gonna drive it forever instead of planning to resell it eventually? If something breaks, are you ready/capable to fix/have it fixed? Do you have secondary vehicle(s)? Does it have enough utility for day-to-day stuff to not be a garage queen?

I had to wrangle with these questions in a hurry on the Cayman. I've said elsewhere that I'm gonna drive it until the wheels fall off, and then put new ones on and drive it some more. It would have to spontaneously appreciate into six figure value for me to sell, because it's exactly what I was looking for for about three years now.

Thing is I also had a long list of dealbreakers. Anything but black or red interior? No. Anything but Black, Red, or Yellow exterior? No. Black on Black? Edge-case no. Soft top? Washington, no. No cruise control? Hell no. Tiptronic? gently caress no. IMS bearing sketchiness? Nah. No number of 'yes' items was gonna outweigh any of these. I cheated a little and took 'electric power steering' off my dealbreaker list if it was ever on there because immediately on my test drive I could tell it was nonsense. You'll also note that price isn't on there, nor technically is Base vs S or Manual vs PDK, because those are considerations instead of dealbreakers.

So ask: Are the cosmetic defects a dealbreaker? Mileage? Age? Mr. Regular BROWN interior? Mismatched tires?

Nobody else knows your dealbreakers. Figure out everything you absolutely don't want under any circumstances (IMS bearing is already solved, for instance), and if it hits none of those, it's probably good to pull the trigger on it based on the 'yes' items like the exterior color.

Unrelated: Found a shop down the hill that can do ECU flashing. Gonna get the stock GTS tune if available, otherwise a nice 91 tune. I hate that 3k slump already.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

Wait a second... are you shopping for 2 cars, or are you honestly debating whether to buy a 2001 996 or buy a 2006 VW Passat Wagon?

:thunk:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Wait a second... are you shopping for 2 cars, or are you honestly debating whether to buy a 2001 996 or buy a 2006 VW Passat Wagon?

:thunk:
Haha yeah I kinda am. I would still look for a fun car in addition to the wagon, if that happens. I currently have 2 cars for the family at the moment, a 2011 Audi A8L with 115k on it (bought at 99k, has been mostly flawless thus far) and a 2006 Saab 9-3 sedan with a 5 speed manual (123k, owned by my wife since 70k). I sold my 2007 Audi S4 manual with 73k on it earlier this summer as I was worried about losing my job due to COVID and wanted to shore up savings, but I really miss the car and it's sent me shopping. If I did lose my job I would need to sell it relatively quickly. The Passat would be a replacement for the Saab, while a 996 would be a replacement for my S4, kinda. I did daily the S4 but I don't plan on doing that with a 996. I live in Northeast Ohio. It feels like I'm a bit on the rebound after a bad breakup with selling the S4. I'm trying not to make a bad decision...

Ranzear posted:

Are you gonna drive it forever instead of planning to resell it eventually? If something breaks, are you ready/capable to fix/have it fixed? Do you have secondary vehicle(s)? Does it have enough utility for day-to-day stuff to not be a garage queen?

I had to wrangle with these questions in a hurry on the Cayman. I've said elsewhere that I'm gonna drive it until the wheels fall off, and then put new ones on and drive it some more. It would have to spontaneously appreciate into six figure value for me to sell, because it's exactly what I was looking for for about three years now.

Thing is I also had a long list of dealbreakers. Anything but black or red interior? No. Anything but Black, Red, or Yellow exterior? No. Black on Black? Edge-case no. Soft top? Washington, no. No cruise control? Hell no. Tiptronic? gently caress no. IMS bearing sketchiness? Nah. No number of 'yes' items was gonna outweigh any of these. I cheated a little and took 'electric power steering' off my dealbreaker list if it was ever on there because immediately on my test drive I could tell it was nonsense. You'll also note that price isn't on there, nor technically is Base vs S or Manual vs PDK, because those are considerations instead of dealbreakers.

So ask: Are the cosmetic defects a dealbreaker? Mileage? Age? Mr. Regular BROWN interior? Mismatched tires?

Nobody else knows your dealbreakers. Figure out everything you absolutely don't want under any circumstances (IMS bearing is already solved, for instance), and if it hits none of those, it's probably good to pull the trigger on it based on the 'yes' items like the exterior color.
I probably would not drive it into the ground unless I fell in love with it. I'd probably sell it in not too long, ideally to break even or make a buck. I had a 1995 Miata I kept for less than a year and sold for a small profit. I answered some of your other questions above. I don't have many dealbreakers besides automatic, but preferably I'm looking for something in the teens, high mileage, well maintained with the IMS done. The green is a big draw for me and I'm a little surprised it's drawing a mixed reaction here so far.

Motronic posted:

I forget if you're that last person that I asked this to in this thread: Can you afford to throw away $25 grand? If so, go buy the car. Chances are very, very high you will not be throwing away $25k, but it's possible.

It looks like it's worth $22.5k based on the listing and whatever would typically be missing/unknown from a listing like that.

Not sure about the color - uncommon, but it's probably a negative on price. It's kinda....specific. So I'd be sure about that first, because if you like a color that most people don't you might be able to get one at a (larger) discount.
I think I am that person. I can't afford to throw away 25 grand, full stop. What would cause that? Engine failure?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Haha yeah I kinda am.............
I think I am that person. I can't afford to throw away 25 grand, full stop. What would cause that? Engine failure?

STOP. You can not afford a cheap porsche.

JUST STOP.

I've owned cheap Porsches for years...decades in fact. With the knowledge, tools and facilities to work on them. But NEVER as my only vehicle. Just. Stop.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Replaced the hood struts on my 993 today. :smug:

Went to replace the air/cabin filters but found out they were just replaced.

I'm a DIY master.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

STOP. You can not afford a cheap porsche.

JUST STOP.

I've owned cheap Porsches for years...decades in fact. With the knowledge, tools and facilities to work on them. But NEVER as my only vehicle. Just. Stop.

But it would be my third vehicle? I understand they are not cheap to own and operate (my last car was a B7 S4, it’s not totally foreign territory), but can you explain how it might turn into a total loss? I’m genuinely confused.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

But it would be my third vehicle? I understand they are not cheap to own and operate (my last car was a B7 S4, it’s not totally foreign territory), but can you explain how it might turn into a total loss? I’m genuinely confused.

First explain how your third vehicle is either a wagon or a cheap sports car. Nothing you are posting in this regards makes any sense.

You either NEED a reliable third vehicle or you are in a position to have a "cheap" fun car that could potentially require a poo poo ton of maintenance. Up to and including maintenance or repairs that exceed the amount you paid for the car.

How is it not clear that an $65,000 car that is now available very much used for purchase at $22k still requires $65k german sports car parts and $65k german sports car labor that very often requires $65k german sports car special tools?

You seem to be playing out of your league here.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 4, 2020

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Hey let us poors enjoy a Porsche as a treat and then go into massive debt when something huge goes wrong.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just write any losses off on your taxes. No wonder you're poor!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Motronic posted:

How is it not clear that an $65,000 car that is now available very much used for purchase at $22k still requires $65k german sports car parts and $65k german sports car labor that very often requires $65k german sports car special tools?
It's not a '90s Ferrari, no? A range closer to $5-10k is probably ok unless he's tracking it or buying a basket case

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah, that's overstating the frequency and cost of repairs a bit, in a way that more evokes Mercedes. Mercedes is much more 'not if but when' on catastrophic repairs and borderline criminal cost of parts.

Porsche parts are relatively reasonable outside of whole engines or PDKs. It's scarcity of parts that drives prices up, not factory cost. Dealer labor is always a scam, especially with how buried stuff gets that they charge about twice as many hours for anything.

Still, if you would balk at $1500 for tires, don't buy a Porsche. If you can't afford to fully and properly maintain it (always premium fuel, Mobil 1 Synthetic topped off between changes, power steering flushes when applicable), don't buy a Porsche. If you want to turn the key and immediately blast full throttle out the driveway and down the lane, definitely don't get a Porsche. These huge capacity dry-sump oil systems and nose-to-tail cooling loops take ages to warm up to a reasonable hooning temperature, and definitely shouldn't be put away still cold.

Ignoring these precautions is what produces the so called "Cheap Porsche".

It's nothing like a boat. No reason to be a money pit. It will still cost a little more in both money and attention than a regular car to maintain though, and trying to short that will cost way more in the end. You can't ignore weird new sounds (except maybe on the direct injection engines, which make new noises daily). You have to respect the car and what it requires and that's indeed a tall order for many people. There is absolutely no reason a Porsche won't scoot around for 200k miles though.

https://jalopnik.com/i-dyno-tested-my-1999-porsche-911-with-243-000-miles-1788130306

Here's a relevant article I read some years back after Chris Harris was did a fantastic job of convincing me to look at these cars.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 4, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ranzear posted:

How much were the 987s you were looking it? The ones I considered earlier were around 25k and that's not really "cheap Porsche" territory, is it? Obviously there's never a guarantee that something won't go wrong but in that range they generally seem new and well maintained enough to not immediately require a ton of work. Only tiptronic and IMS are dealbreakers, really.

E: OMG there has to be something wrong with this one, right? It looks like a fully loaded 981S that they're dumping with 60k km and it's a bit suspicious that the discount is for export only. Could it be stolen or something? The dealership looks legit though but I can't imagine what could possibly be wrong with it to justify this price. And I wasn't planning on buying this year :ohdear:
E2: ok there's a 2 year difference between date of manufacturing and date of first registration. Demo car that sat around?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 4, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

First explain how your third vehicle is either a wagon or a cheap sports car. Nothing you are posting in this regards makes any sense.

You either NEED a reliable third vehicle or you are in a position to have a "cheap" fun car that could potentially require a poo poo ton of maintenance. Up to and including maintenance or repairs that exceed the amount you paid for the car.

You seem to be playing out of your league here.

Gestures at my $96,000 sticker A8L I picked up for $14,000.

I’m aiming to complete my fake rich German garage. :agesilaus:

And again, coming from a B7 S4 I’m no stranger to higher maintenance costs than a normal car or warming it up before getting on it.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 4, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Welp it's gone. This time I didn't overthink it and messaged them immediately about it but they took the ad down before I got a response. It was a 981S with PDK and sport chrono for 19k EUR.

The original ad is down but they replied as if it's still available. Why are you torturing meeee. I'm supposed to go on a trip on Tuesday lol.

quote:

Just arrived in our inventory and it was verified by our mechanics. It's a normal German car with German documents / plates. Car is in super condition, technically in perfect condition and no visual or technical defects, no accidents. Technical inspection valid for 2 years. We sell all vehicles with warranty.
(paraphrased from whatsapp)

I asked for the VIN and to explain the difference between manufacturing date and first registration. Haven't responded to that yet but then they're closed today so eh. It's about 2 hours drive from here so I'm considering checking it out tomorrow morning.

Serious question... what should I pay attention to? Seems as long as it's not stolen and there's at least a 1 year warranty, what could possibly go wrong?

- 2 year difference between manufacture date and first registration
- The offer is export oriented which is fishy. [but to clarify, exactly what I need. Just suspicious that they would a better deal to take it out of the country]
+ There's a warranty
+ Looks like a legit service/dealership with lots of positive feedback
+ The car is sweet as gently caress what the hell :gizz:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 4, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mobby_6kl posted:

+ The car is sweet as gently caress

True.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DevCore posted:

Hey let us poors enjoy a Porsche as a treat and then go into massive debt when something huge goes wrong.

I've owned porsches as a poor for many years. But again, not as a vehicle I counted on, and not using money I needed for things I needed to count on, or eat, or to keep a roof over my head.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep and also too good to be true. While doing some research on the dealer I found their facebook page. This was posted 2 hours ago:

quote:

Dear customers,
Unfortunately our Mobile.de account was hacked yesterday. We can't solve the problem right now. We are trying to fix this asap.
The currently advertised vehicles (also homepage & Facebook Marketplace) are NOT from us! This is fraud.
Please don't contact the given number or make a down payment!
Thank you so much
Your car Andraschko team
:laffo:

I guess it's possible it's the facebook account that got hacked but probably not so they just saved me a ton of nerves trying to work this out.

Actually once accounting for the export discount and VAT it wasn't too crazy (maybe a few grand cheaper) but it was definitely low enough to tingle my spidey fraud senses and perfectly explains why they wanted to get deposits from foreigners.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 4, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I feel like you aren’t entirely reading my posts. I have 2 other cars to rely on. Even if the car was a total loss for reasons that remain unclear to me, I’d still have food on the table and a roof over my head...

I’m not sure why you’re being so hyperbolic. It’s striking me as low key gate keeping, if I’m honest.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

willroc7 posted:

I feel like you aren’t entirely reading my posts. I have 2 other cars to rely on. Even if the car was a total loss for reasons that remain unclear to me, I’d still have food on the table and a roof over my head...

I’m not sure why you’re being so hyperbolic. It’s striking me as low key gate keeping, if I’m honest.

It is almost like the changed the name of this forum from automotive insanity to buy a corolla.com.

BTW a 996's interior is Toyota inspired so really the only reasonable 911 to purchase.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

willroc7 posted:

Then you're good and go for it. Somehow I missed that too, and this all mirrors discussions I have with my brother when we talk about cars. There's cars I want to buy, then there are cars I can actually buy if I'm looking for max reliability. But if you've got dailies none of it matters go hog wild.

The other stuff is just Motronic being Motronic. Your gruff but usually accurate friend from real life filtered through the dehumanizing medium of the internet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

willroc7 posted:

Well it could be a total scam for example...

It took them most of the day but they did provide a valid Cayman S VIN (WP0AB2A84EK191190). But I checked their other ads and there is a Cayman GT4 for 30k and 911 for 45k, less than half of their market values so there's no way any of it is legit.

I don't really need a car to survive (and have a bulletproof Mita anyway) but sending money to scammers is probably a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Because this is the first time you've come out and said such. What you were going back and forth on was what? A cheap Porsche or a practical wagon? Do you understand how that sounds?

Buy whatever piece of poo poo you want. You don't need to heed anyone's cautionary tales.

loving gatekeeping. Yeah, I'm trying to gatekeep the poor house you bell end.