Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

hello, i am the exception to your straw man: i was immediately stunned by how bad oblivion was when it came out and never played past kvatch. i saw friends play further (common room xbox in college) and saw absolutely nothing to tempt me further. much the opposite! the only fun i had in it was doing the dupe glitch to make fountains of melons and cheese wheels.

now, your move is to say that i didn't give it a chance, that my mind was made up before i played it, and that i have no basis to say whether it's bad. fine, sure, but then you don't get to dismiss the people who played it more and also say it's bad.

Nah if you didn't like it right away that's fine. My 'strawman' is a specific type of TES fan that will spend hundreds of hours in the game and say it's garbage. A type of fan mind you that there is plenty of.

I do think Bethsoft having essentially infinate money makes it hard to excuse parts of their games. At the same time they make a specific type of game that is very expensive, time consuming, and difficult to make. There is a reason EA and Ubisoft aren't pumping out similar games every other year. I wish Bethsoft had decent competition. It would increase the quality of their games and give us more of them to play. But they don't so sometimes I feel like a kid complaining that their parents bought them the wrong color car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Pre-Morrowind chat: Are Arena or Battlespire worth playing?

I plan to give Daggerfall Unity a shot at some point as it looks pretty neat, and my first ever Elder Scrolls game was Redguard so I know the answer to that one already.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Morrowind hamfists all of Daggerfall's endings together: :downs:

Tiber Septim sneezes over Cyrodiil: :tizzy:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mode 7 posted:

Pre-Morrowind chat: Are Arena or Battlespire worth playing?

That really depends on what kind of games you're into.

Arena is a barebones dungeon crawler, just with an infinite world full of randomly-generated dungeons to bring it some novelty. (Main quest dungeons are not random, though.) If you're into roguelikes, maybe you'll like that aspect? Gameplay is pretty basic, very AD&D2-inspired (down to having inverted armor classes: the lower the number, the better, if you can get into the negatives you're doing great). There are eight attributes (the same that were kept in Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion), which are randomly rolled at the start so don't hesitate to reroll until you get something good, you choose one class from a list (they've also kept the classes in the next three games) but here only some of the classes can cast spells so if you play a knight for example you're not gonna have magic besides magic items. Speaking of magic items, when you find one, you don't necessarily know what it is. So you may have to bring them to a mages guild first to have them identified.

You can't join factions or buy a house or stuff like that. You can only travel through fast travel -- if you walk out of a town's gates, you get into infinite randomly-generated land, and it's not possible to walk to another town -- nor, if you walk far enough, to return to the town you were in -- except by invoking the fast travel screen to get out of infinite randomly-generated land. You can find small dungeons in the wilderness when doing that. You can also find random fast-travel dungeons by going to taverns and asking the bartender for random quests.

Several unique artifacts are in the game and doing these random quests is how you can get a chance to have them. All quests are basically "click the new dungeon on your map, then explore it until you find object" with some but not all also having a "then return to questgiver" part.

If you play a magic class you can totally cheese most of the dungeons by stocking up on passwall and destroy floor spells. With the spellmaker you can make yourself a tunneling spell that has three passwall effects each destroying 10 cubes of walls, so you can the spell and you can destroy up to 30 walls. Random dungeon levels always have their entry point and destination point (either the quest item or the stairs to the next floor) aligned, so you can walk on a straight line from one to the other by tunneling through walls.

Main quest dungeons have indestructible walls (you can tell the difference if the wall is only partial height, you can't destroy it), but that means you can destroy floors instead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also features the most anti-climactic boss fight whose solution was copied and used again in Oblivion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Mattress posted:

That really depends on what kind of games you're into.

Arena is a barebones dungeon crawler, just with an infinite world full of randomly-generated dungeons to bring it some novelty. (Main quest dungeons are not random, though.) If you're into roguelikes, maybe you'll like that aspect? Gameplay is pretty basic, very AD&D2-inspired (down to having inverted armor classes: the lower the number, the better, if you can get into the negatives you're doing great). There are eight attributes (the same that were kept in Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion), which are randomly rolled at the start so don't hesitate to reroll until you get something good, you choose one class from a list (they've also kept the classes in the next three games) but here only some of the classes can cast spells so if you play a knight for example you're not gonna have magic besides magic items. Speaking of magic items, when you find one, you don't necessarily know what it is. So you may have to bring them to a mages guild first to have them identified.

You can't join factions or buy a house or stuff like that. You can only travel through fast travel -- if you walk out of a town's gates, you get into infinite randomly-generated land, and it's not possible to walk to another town -- nor, if you walk far enough, to return to the town you were in -- except by invoking the fast travel screen to get out of infinite randomly-generated land. You can find small dungeons in the wilderness when doing that. You can also find random fast-travel dungeons by going to taverns and asking the bartender for random quests.

Several unique artifacts are in the game and doing these random quests is how you can get a chance to have them. All quests are basically "click the new dungeon on your map, then explore it until you find object" with some but not all also having a "then return to questgiver" part.

If you play a magic class you can totally cheese most of the dungeons by stocking up on passwall and destroy floor spells. With the spellmaker you can make yourself a tunneling spell that has three passwall effects each destroying 10 cubes of walls, so you can the spell and you can destroy up to 30 walls. Random dungeon levels always have their entry point and destination point (either the quest item or the stairs to the next floor) aligned, so you can walk on a straight line from one to the other by tunneling through walls.

Main quest dungeons have indestructible walls (you can tell the difference if the wall is only partial height, you can't destroy it), but that means you can destroy floors instead.

Also Battlespire kind of sucks!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Jazerus posted:

yeah but morrowind was made by people who gave a poo poo

even the quest writing in oblivion, for all that it is often fun and good, was not done by people who cared about consistency and world-building. "hey, remember that mannimarco guy? he's back! wait what do you mean he became the moon at the end of daggerfall? no, he's just a guy in a cave, have fun!"

almost all the same people that worked on morrowind worked on oblivion

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hrm, I like the dumb narrative/lore poo poo in Elder Scrolls so if it's too barebones I might bounce off it, but I do like roguelikes and THAC0 stuff doesn't scare me. Sounds like I'll probably give it a punt but with a hefty dose of guide/walkthrough reading so that I can dodge some of the inevitable trap options in chargen.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

if youre looking for lore arena is really not the greatest place to go

modern TES lore basically starts with redguard when they revamped a ton of the lore away from TES1/2 more homebrew dnd roots

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I suppose something I'm curious about with the Microsoft acquisition of Bethesda is, what other studios now have access to the Elder Scrolls IP to make spinoff games?

Like, it's been kind of a dream of mine for a while to have a Total War style TES strategy game. I know Creative Assembly is under SEGA and therefore not yet a sister studio, but what other strategy studios are there? Who else exists? What other studios could have fun making games in Tamriel (so long as they RESPECT. THE. LORE.)

Berke Negri posted:

if youre looking for lore arena is really not the greatest place to go

modern TES lore basically starts with redguard when they revamped a ton of the lore away from TES1/2 more homebrew dnd roots

Modern TES lore starts becoming recognizable with Daggerfall (a good chunk of books are from that game, the Eight Divines are known as well as all 16 Daedra, etc.) but yeah it only really congeals into its final form with Redguard/Morrowind (which were to some degree developed at the same time), and Battlespire to some degree for Daedra and such.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 26, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tamriel Flight Simulator

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mode 7 posted:

Hrm, I like the dumb narrative/lore poo poo in Elder Scrolls so if it's too barebones I might bounce off it, but I do like roguelikes and THAC0 stuff doesn't scare me. Sounds like I'll probably give it a punt but with a hefty dose of guide/walkthrough reading so that I can dodge some of the inevitable trap options in chargen.

There's no trap option. My first playthroughs back in the day were with magic classes (battlemage or spellsword or something like that) but I remember finishing it with a non-casting class without problem. Even made a challenge run with the class that seemed the weakest and least useful to me back then (the healer) and it was possible.

It's not a difficult game. I'd say the only real challenge is getting over how old it is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sky Shadowing posted:

I suppose something I'm curious about with the Microsoft acquisition of Bethesda is, what other studios now have access to the Elder Scrolls IP to make spinoff games?

Like, it's been kind of a dream of mine for a while to have a Total War style TES strategy game. I know Creative Assembly is under SEGA and therefore not yet a sister studio, but what other strategy studios are there? Who else exists? What other studios could have fun making games in Tamriel (so long as they RESPECT. THE. LORE.)

Modern TES lore starts becoming recognizable with Daggerfall (a good chunk of books are from that game, the Eight Divines are known as well as all 16 Daedra, etc.) but yeah it only really congeals into its final form with Redguard/Morrowind (which were to some degree developed at the same time), and Battlespire to some degree for Daedra and such.

Did you ever play the CK2 Elder Kings mod? That was pretty neat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tamriel Flight Simulator

Tamriel Fight Simulator.

Otherwise known as TES3 and before.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sky Shadowing posted:

iirc how Kirkbride told it, him and someone else (maaaaaybe want to say Ken Rolston?) basically came up with this dune/moebius setting they were excited about and showed it to Howard who basically was like that's cool, you know we got to make another TES game maybe you can fit this all in and that's basically how there's such a huge tonal shift from Daggerfall to Redguard

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

iirc how Kirkbride told it, him and someone else (maaaaaybe want to say Ken Rolston?) basically came up with this dune/moebius setting they were excited about and showed it to Howard who basically was like that's cool, you know we got to make another TES game maybe you can fit this all in and that's basically how there's such a huge tonal shift from Daggerfall to Redguard

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm rereading the oral history and Michael Kirkbride names Kurt Kuhlmann as the other guy who helped spark the ideas that became Morrowind

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

morrowind is established as a weird place in that Cyrus comic, which came with Redguard

Redguard had bizarrely good writing at points, and i say that as a tes maniac

e: Read it if you haven't yet, do not skip the q&a at the end

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 26, 2020

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

morrowind is established as a weird place in that Cyrus comic, which came with Redguard

Redguard had bizarrely good writing at points, and i say that as a tes maniac

e: Read it if you haven't yet, do not skip the q&a at the end

There is no q&a at the end.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The Skyblivion devs uploaded a video talking about the development process

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

MrTargetPractice posted:

Nah if you didn't like it right away that's fine. My 'strawman' is a specific type of TES fan that will spend hundreds of hours in the game and say it's garbage. A type of fan mind you that there is plenty of.

I do think Bethsoft having essentially infinate money makes it hard to excuse parts of their games. At the same time they make a specific type of game that is very expensive, time consuming, and difficult to make. There is a reason EA and Ubisoft aren't pumping out similar games every other year. I wish Bethsoft had decent competition. It would increase the quality of their games and give us more of them to play. But they don't so sometimes I feel like a kid complaining that their parents bought them the wrong color car.

I'm hoping Avowed is going to be that competition, its all hilariously up in the air and all we've gotten is a trailer with about a quarter second of gameplay, but I'd love to see an obsidian ES style rpg.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

There's no trap option.

The trap option in Arena is anything that can't cast spells. The armour spell never goes away so you can just cast a crazy one that uses all your magicka before going to sleep every night, and if you use a good spell absorb spell you are invincible and constantly refreshing your spell points against most monsters, especially once you're a few dungeons in to the game.

(Also bear in mind that Arena is not a fun game. The dungeons are made of blocks, like Wolfenstein, and the only really interesting stuff in the game is looking at the place names in High Rock and Skyrim and going "huh, they kept those names in the future games." Otherwise it's like playing D&D with a very, very stupid DM who loves combat, labyrinths, riddles and nothing else.)

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm hoping Avowed is going to be that competition, its all hilariously up in the air and all we've gotten is a trailer with about a quarter second of gameplay, but I'd love to see an obsidian ES style rpg.

We'll have to see. The Outer Worlds was okay but it really felt like it was missing something that I can't quite put my finger one.

Every area was a square which isn't necessarily an issue. I guess it sort of felt like they were could at writting but not good at making a game? It sort of felt like a Telltale game with extra stuff tacked on.

How did everyone else feel about it?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ott_ posted:

There is no q&a at the end.

aw, goldurnit

okay

quote:

Hey,

When are you guys finally going to get into that 'dark secret' that Cyrus refuses to talk about? And what does it have to do with Iszara, who we've only seen in cryptic flashbacks? Now that the Duadeen story arc seems to be wrapping up, it's high time we learned about it!

Billy Fresno, PA

P.S. Why does Duadeen refer to Tiber Septim as the Cyrodiil? He's a Nord, if I remember correctly.

"Or a Breton, if you believe those jokers in Alcaire. Traditionally, anyone strong enough to take the Imperial Throne is known as the 'Cyrodiil,' no matter the province kingdom of their birth. It's a complicated the-king-is-the-land kind of thing that reaches back to the time when the Elves ruled the area before it was taken from them by the First Empire of the Nords. "Cyrodiil" is a pretty blanket term for every element of the Imperial Province: its common provincial name is Cyrodiil, the capital city is named Cyrodiil, the people are the Cyrodiils, and the Emperor is "The Cyrodiil." A lot of people still think it comes from the surname of Reman Cyrodiil, who built the region into the Second Empire of Men, but, really, he just took its ancient Elven name and stuck it onto his own (sorta like somebody in our world calling themselves "Jonny America"). And, while we're still on the subject, no, Tiber Septim isn't a Nord, he's an Atmoran.

"As far as Cyrus' dark secret (and its relation to Iszara), I think you pretty much have the whole of it now, don't you?"

Dear TEAdventures,

I picked up the BATTLESPIRE one-shot last week—any chance of it becoming a full-fledged series?

Tally Isham, CO

"Afraid not, Tally. Those guys are hard at work on the Morrowind mini-series that we've been promising for two years now. And since it looks like we're still going to have to wait a while, we decided to devote a few pages of the current issue of TEA: Redguard to those wacky Dark Elves! Hope you liked it!"

Guys,

In issue #20, Cyrus mentions the Eye of Argonia, an artifact that sounded important. What gives? I was stationed overseas during the early days of TEA: Redguard, so maybe I missed it, huh?

Alan Sundry, D.C.

"Don't fret, Alan, you didn't miss a thing about the Eye of Argonia in those issues (though you missed plenty of other stuff—better get down to the comic store!). Cyrus has been searching for the Eye all over Tamriel. All we can say is that it's a priceless gem that also serves as a key to the Lost City of Black Marsh. Stay tuned!"

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Doc Hawkins posted:

quote:

And, while we're still on the subject, no, Tiber Septim isn't a Nord, he's an Atmoran.

"Atmoran" is a weird way to pronounce "Breton"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

"Atmoran" is a weird way to pronounce "Breton"

joker in Alcaire spotted

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

Really Tiber Septim being a Breton is the best outcome because it's the maximum comedy option that clowns on no less than 3 races mythologies (Altmer, Nord, and Imperial)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tiber septim was a khajiit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I somehow hosed up my Skyrim installation and got pissed and deleted the install.

I'mma do something I haven't done for two decades and one friend's xbox ago and play regular vanilla Morrowind.

Also photos of a laptop screen incoming cuz yeah, I'm that lazy

start: this guy, obviously you roll a dunmer in Morrowind

I answered his questions as close as possible to my real personality

oh wait gently caress i'm a cop

gently caress it i'm an outlander cop

here i come legion

e: i guess before i was azura's chosen, i got a little too nasty with her unchosen, and now here i am

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 27, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i still think pelinal whitestrake did nothing wrong

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Oh my loving god I had no idea lots of Khajit were actual literal housecats

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

do you think the housecats in eso are khajiits

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Ott_ posted:

tbh every cat could be an Aldmeri spy now

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ott_ posted:

some of them are, I've seen the 'shots

how can you tell the difference for certain?

jobasha does not answer this question.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

some of them are, I've seen the 'shots

how can you tell the difference for certain?

jobasha does not answer this question.

Put one in a cat carrier and say you're going to the vet to get it spayed and neutered.

If you hear the sound of a recall or intervention spell and the carrier is suddenly empty, it was a khajiit.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Put one in a cat carrier and say you're going to the vet to get it spayed and neutered.

If you hear the sound of a recall or intervention spell and the carrier is suddenly empty, it was a khajiit.

"No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. There is no escape."

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do Khajit keep regular cats as pets?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

whydirt posted:

Well humans keep monkeys as pets.
Argonians probably keep lizards as pets.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

whydirt posted:

In ESO there's a khajiit raised by orcs who has a pet cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Overemotional Robot posted:

In ESO there's a khajiit raised by orcs who has a pet cat.

In ESO there are two cases I can think of of Elsweyr raised khajiits keeping housecats as pets.

There's also a quest where an Alfiq (one of the housecat like khajiit) disguises itself as a lost housecat so you put it into your bag to return it, and while it's in there it tries to steal your poo poo.