Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
And I am certainly starting to see why a lot of people have been expressing negative opinions about it. I can't quite put the right words to it yet, but after an hour of playing, I am not happy with what I've seen of the game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

And I am certainly starting to see why a lot of people have been expressing negative opinions about it. I can't quite put the right words to it yet, but after an hour of playing, I am not happy with what I've seen of the game so far.

I like it, but the teleportation fast travel feels like a QoL feature that just doesn’t understand why people like sprawling Freelancer-likes. Skipping the travel time is killing half the game.

E: with how it plays they should have just aped everything from Freelancer, TBH.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the teleportation stuff was really strange to me because I did a few missions and the only actual flying I had to do was during the dogfights once I arrived at the location. It felt to me like the actual game would end up being a lot of loading between zones as you warped back and forth.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's been ages since I, uh, sampled RGO but can't you just not do the fast travel? As I recall it still had the sublight and FTL drives that most space sims have. I agree though, I like the actual flying around in those types of games. That said, Cardio's post did remind me that yeah, the KBAM controls did feel "off" to me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

On the topic of good space games, Star Wars Squadrons is fantastic. It's straight up just the old games, including SCANNING CARGO SHIPS. Only major changes are that TIEs take a lot more punishment and you can pull off sick tricks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
God, I loved TIE Fighter. I played that game long, long before I ever watched the movies and it has affected my views of those rear end in a top hat rebel guys and that nice Vader person who kept giving me medals ever since.

Mordja posted:

It's been ages since I, uh, sampled RGO but can't you just not do the fast travel? As I recall it still had the sublight and FTL drives that most space sims have. I agree though, I like the actual flying around in those types of games. That said, Cardio's post did remind me that yeah, the KBAM controls did feel "off" to me.
You can, but from the distances I've been seeing so far, it's like playing X3 without using SETA - you can, but no sane person would ever want to.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I like it, but the teleportation fast travel feels like a QoL feature that just doesn’t understand why people like sprawling Freelancer-likes. Skipping the travel time is killing half the game.

E: with how it plays they should have just aped everything from Freelancer, TBH.

The difference is that the travelling is instead taken from Privateer and the earlier Wing Commander games, where activating the waypoint led to a the third person shot of your ship flying to the destination. It basically is more privateer than freelancer, especially judging by the cockpit views

As for the controls, I thought it was weird that for a game that is a modern take on a PC space game , the mouse and keyboard controls were bad and gamepad needed some getting used to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if a game has fast travel i will use it every time

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

if a game has fast travel i will use it every time

It definitely varies. Like with RDR2 I barely used it and rode everywhere instead,

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RDR2's fast travel was crippled by the fact that you could use it from your camp to certain places and in no other situation. I think people would have used it more if it had been actually useful. God knows I used mods to emulate the functionality when I played RDR2 on PC.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's like that because Wing Commander did it, and RGO is just WC Privateer with the serials filed off. There's also a RG1 style warp you can use they added because people asked for it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Krazyface posted:

I do not approve of the forums name change

Agreed, what a lame change.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Defense of the Assholes, right guys?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Dude, Ouch, That Anthem.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

It definitely varies. Like with RDR2 I barely used it and rode everywhere instead,
no worries there because I have absolutely zero interest in playing RDR2

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Weirdly enough, thanks to the way the trailer presented the game, I actually expected it to not feature any space combat at all. I thought it would be a Fallen Order style "you are a spacemans crashed on Planet X, find a way off of Planet X" deal. I'm certainly more interested in it now.

wtf lol :psyduck:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the trailer stops right after the crash landing. It seemed the obvious conclusion, having seen nothing else about it. :shrug:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mordja posted:

Man, Control owns, completely. Were people complaining about the combat? I feel like some volks were when it came out, like I think someone or two from giantbomb didn't like it. Absolute psychopaths.

its... not really good? It has been the same with Remedy games forever. Take slomo out of Max Payne and see what happens, that is exacly what you get in all games afterwards.
There are specific things I find really bad, like the shader effect from the enemies which is just eye-straining trying to focus them (totally subjective, but I hate the effect) as well as weapon behaviour and design in general.

Its defo the aspect I enjoyed the least, but the game still remains fantastic in general.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Wasn't TF2 the one that was literally used for money laundering by the Russian mafia or something of that nature?

Somewhere, there’s a Russian mobster who has known of Steam purely as a money laundering device. He is then surprised as hell to learn that some weird Americans use the crime money machine to trade virtual novelty hats.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Wasn't TF2 the one that was literally used for money laundering by the Russian mafia or something of that nature?

CS:GO more than tf2 but yeah there's a lot of money laundering going on

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

CS:GO more than tf2 but yeah there's a lot of money laundering going on

Early on with the steam marketplace people would always ask "hey why did this card that never sold for more then 0.15c suddenly sell for $200?" and the answer was always "money laundering"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wish I could get as much as 15 cents for my lovely internet pretend CCG cards these days. Russian mafia does not know how good they have it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I think Russian money laundering has moved to releasing game like things and selling keys to those game like things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Really weird out of nowhere I dreamed about playing Alpha Protocol in detail, up to remembering that you can pick "neophyte" or whatever skill that gives you less starting attribute points but changes a fair bit of dialogue to reflect that you are considered a rookie agent.

Haven't touched the game in almost a decade but now have an intense urge to play it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

State of Decay 2 continues to be my favorite zombie game and keeps getting better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrHombAhbs

:getin:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

StrixNebulosa posted:

State of Decay 2 continues to be my favorite zombie game and keeps getting better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrHombAhbs

Holy poo poo i just may get what I want by turning everything up and turning Community down to Green. :pray:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have State of Decay 1 but have never even touched it yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OgNar posted:

I have State of Decay 1 but have never even touched it yet.

State of Decay 1 is weird and janky and clearly experimental

State of Decay 2 is my favorite zombie game tied with Project Zomboid

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Defense of the Assholes, right guys?
dumb october thread alterations :smuggo:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oh, my gosh

:kimchi:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What is this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Littlewood is on sale for $11.24

https://store.steampowered.com/app/894940/Littlewood/

Anyone play through it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sininu posted:

What is this?

Ni no Kuni II! It opens with NYC getting nuked while the President is there, then the president of the US evaporates in magic sparkles and wakes up in a castle de-aged to teen years, and is immediately swept up into helping out a catboy escape a coup, then he decides to help out catboy king make a new kingdom while collecting those adorable spirit things. It turns into a kingdom builder/manager RTS thing later too I'm told!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I downloaded Duel Links a few hours ago and I've been thoroughly enjoying it but my god does it love to throw currency and tickets and stuff at you when you are just starting out :psyduck: I've no idea what to even spend all this stuff on.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Is mgs1 the only series entry where they mention snakes butt

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Heeeey, Woody!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ni no Kuni II! It opens with NYC getting nuked while the President is there, then the president of the US evaporates in magic sparkles and wakes up in a castle de-aged to teen years, and is immediately swept up into helping out a catboy escape a coup, then he decides to help out catboy king make a new kingdom while collecting those adorable spirit things. It turns into a kingdom builder/manager RTS thing later too I'm told!

Ni no Kuni 2: Hope you like cookie clicker and fetch quests!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think the new name is misplaced. Much better fit for the retro games forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nobody told me they made anime Redwall.