Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat they're getting scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Huh so all of Harris county will have a single drop-off location, probably nowhere easy to get to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

The justification is to reduce urban turnout.

I know what it’s for, but he's saying it's for “election security “.

The first thing the Dems have to do if they get a trifecta is kill the filibuster and pass massive voting rights reform.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

I know what it’s for, but he's saying it's for “election security “.

To secure elections for Republicans. There's absolutely no other reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine this will be stayed by a federal court within the day. The Fifth Cir. already ruled it's too close to the election to start loving with stuff

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

Huh so all of Harris county will have a single drop-off location, probably nowhere easy to get to.

Nowhere in Harris country is easy to get to except the exact part of it that you live in. Everywhere else is extremely inconvenient.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There were already only 12 in the whole loving county, which is already too low. Harris county has more population than several states

https://twitter.com/AshLopezRadio/status/1311727437223546880

Also if Travis has 4, but three are downtown, then really it has 2

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Nowhere in Harris country is easy to get to except the exact part of it that you live in. Everywhere else is extremely inconvenient.

That depends, you got an hour to spare for one way?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I heard that the designated ballot dropoff location for Bexar County is now in the basement of the Alamo. In Travis County, it's going to be at Franklin's BBQ but you have to wait through the food order line first.

Kidding aside, this is such a naked attempt at voter suppression. Claiming "security" isn't even a fig leaf. How is one overcrowded, chaotic location going to be "more secure" than several?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
jesus christ gently caress greg and if i saw him irl i'd tumble him out of his wheelchair, call him a cripple, piss on his face, and feel no shame

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He has a security detail

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

Even here in Denton County it takes 45 minutes to get to the election office.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The word is classism.

I know that racism is heavily intertwined with American classim because of systematic biases and oppression that can't be solved just by increasing income mobility and reducing the income gap and toppling the rich, and so needs a lot of special attention, but at the end of the day, there's still a lot of classism independent of race.

People seem generally less aware of classism as a problem, which is why they sometimes don't know to use dog whistles or euphemisms, but then since people don't decry classism so often, they don't really need to.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
What's ridiculous is that election security arguments completely stick for Republican voters. Like, they genuinely believe voting should be as difficult as possible, and that not being able to vote because of these barriers means you just didn't want to vote hard enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1311709292827901952

Man they really wanted Bernie

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In Austin this lady would just say she’s trying to prevent gentrification

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I loving wish this was the case

Should actually show health insurance, pharma and credit card executives on the train

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I said it here, but I basically knew that regardless of who won the primaries, the Republicans would be making the exact same allegations as to how radical the Democrats are. It's not like the Republicans ever needed true facts or information in their campaign advertising before. It's like how they successfully portrayed themselves as being more financially responsible by decreasing taxes and increasing spending.

The only difference is that instead of justifying the things that need to be done, the Biden campaign is stuck in an awkward version of that "When did you stop beating your wife" gag.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

They really don't know which narrative to stick with for Biden - either he's controlled by Antifa or he's betraying them.

I loved Chris Hooks' response. I didn't even notice it.

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1311732766774566913

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have a bet with a friend that abbott is beaten to death by an angry mob before nov 4th. lookin' good!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

What's ridiculous is that election security arguments completely stick for Republican voters. Like, they genuinely believe voting should be as difficult as possible, and that not being able to vote because of these barriers means you just didn't want to vote hard enough.

It sticks because they're fully aware the reason is to keep them from voting. Conservative politicians and, to a slightly lesser extent voters, don't give a poo poo about these debate nerd rear end arguments because they innately understand that politics is about the acquisition and use of power. And if telling some press dork "oh well uhh we did it for security and uhh... corona yeah. The corona." works to make people gently caress off when they ask you why you closed down shitload of polling locations they're going to do it.

It's been like this for probably everyone ITT's entire life, except back in the day we'd be smug and post about the ignorant rethuglicans and watch Jon Stewart about it where now we're being smug and watching twitter about it :v:

fakeedit: this account rules so far https://twitter.com/DubyaEraLeft/status/1304917709143015424?s=20

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This sort of freaks me out since I got my job working for HC because of the 2018 midterms democratic sweep. Now they killed straight-ticket voting last year(?) and the Republicans of HC have been fired up cause of blue judge decisions makes me think I'll get canned in '21 :ohdear:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Look, I'm just saying maybe that tree should have finished the job

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Chieves posted:

Look, I'm just saying maybe that tree should have finished the job

I've been saying this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stop being so blood thirsty jesus

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Last time I did an irony joke like that in here I caught a sixer, just heads up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I'd rather have my enemies alive and see everything bad they ever worked hard to accomplish be destroyed and prosecute them for whatever crimes they did.

Maybe in some ways we're possibly headed towards widespread targeted political violence, but we're not there yet.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So how bad is this Abbott order going to gently caress over the chances of democrats potentially flipping the state? I had a bunch we wouldn't be able to do it but now feel this may have cemented it. TBH if we can't flip the state when the most toxic candidate (hopefully) in the history of our nation is giving us free layups then we may never be able to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who knows. Depends on how hosed the USPS is, since these are mail-in dropoff boxes. And since the vast majority of mail voters, and indeed one of the few groups allowed to vote-by-mail for any reason, are 65+ seniors, who can say.

It'd be a lot bigger deal if we were a universal mail vote state, and if it turns out usps is sabotaged enough. But I saw a gallup poll today that showed a decline in intent to vote by mail from high 50s in mid summer to high 30s. You look nationally at early voting totals, ballot applications and returns, it seems like people get the GOP is trying to steal the election and are doing everything they can to make sure their vote counts.

Also, I'd be more worried about this

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1311821700263276544

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Well, what sucks in addition to these just being barriers - having fewer places to submit ballots and fewer days for voting, is that all voter outreach and education - including hundreds of thousands of pieces of outreach materials from both parties and non-partisan groups - includes the 3-week early voting dates. Counties have already hired folks for early voting poll workers and election judges. It means folks might still go out during the original dates or expect to drop off a ballot at a dropbox that now isn't there - and may become too discouraged to try again later. And with all of the uncertainty on this, it's even more difficult to confidently educate voters. It doesn't just impact the voters - it intentionally fucks up the entire GOTV and county election infrastructure.

You'd think it'd hurt the Republicans themselves, but typically the formula is that if almost no one votes, the people left who will are Republicans with more polling site access in their neighborhoods.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Who knows. Depends on how hosed the USPS is, since these are mail-in dropoff boxes. And since the vast majority of mail voters, and indeed one of the few groups allowed to vote-by-mail for any reason, are 65+ seniors, who can say.

It'd be a lot bigger deal if we were a universal mail vote state, and if it turns out usps is sabotaged enough. But I saw a gallup poll today that showed a decline in intent to vote by mail from high 50s in mid summer to high 30s. You look nationally at early voting totals, ballot applications and returns, it seems like people get the GOP is trying to steal the election and are doing everything they can to make sure their vote counts.

Also, I'd be more worried about this

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1311821700263276544

wasn't he the one who expanded it in the first place?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

wasn't he the one who expanded it in the first place?

Yes. He’s also the one who was in charge when the boxes went up.

He’s also the one who closed hair salons.

He’s a full of poo poo grifter and he always has been.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Christ I really hope that doesn't come true, was gunning to vote that first week cause I know things are going to be a shitstorm with waiting times.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
You and everyone else. Early voting is when being a centrist helps. Just show up at some random time in the middle of it, not right at the start or end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

He’s a full of poo poo grifter and he always has been.

I think he's just way in over his head. He's a replacement-level GOP suit guy and he's trying to do the populism Trumpy thing but he doesn't know how so he's constantly whipping between the two extremes in his own party

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I have terrible news for anyone who wanted their Amarillo dining experience to feature someone arguing that no its not racist, and actually perhaps it is You that is the racist for saying it's racist

https://twitter.com/TacoTrail/status/1312020985017782279

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only places I eat in Amarillo are garish multi-story steakhouses with eat-a-giant-porterhouse-in-the-time-limit-and-it's-free gimmicks, thanks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Just so I'm clear, mail in ballots can go in any mailbox and not just the drop off spot, right?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

i say swears online posted:

Just so I'm clear, mail in ballots can go in any mailbox and not just the drop off spot, right?

Yes, you can mail in your mail-in ballots. The drop off spot is just so you don't have to worry about the USPS losing it/delaying it/etc. It goes in with the in-person ballots when you drop it off at the specified locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's just weird, I've got D-leaning friends saying this isn't a big deal because the USPS is the most trusted american institution

It's like there was an internet glitch and I'm getting texts from 2018