Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LifeSunDeath posted:

in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, I clicked this one button on my ride and it forced everyone to exit at once, and they all got stacked in this monstrosity:

KILL US!

unpaused and it explodes into a ton of people:

This is what happens when you don't put limits on who's included in a family pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The red-haired one in the middle seems to be screaming in agony and existential horror. I appreciate the small touches like that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cardiovorax posted:

The red-haired one in the middle seems to be screaming in agony and existential horror. I appreciate the small touches like that.

The ride they just got off of is just long stretches of chain lifts that accelerate at the cheat limit of 2300mph, for 100 loops (it's the rapid version of Mr. Bones' wild ride). So they're all pretty freaked out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The first CK3 patch notes are out. Many many good fixes including:

quote:

The Pope can no longer publicly accept cannibalism

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-42-1-1-patch-notes.1428193/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Transubstantiation is canceled

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zero One posted:

The first CK3 patch notes are out. Many many good fixes including:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-42-1-1-patch-notes.1428193/

"- Restricted the Intrigue(Scheming) event "Confused Heritage" to players only, as the AI was going a bit wild with it and turning everyone into bastards unnecessarily"

well that explains the apparent rampant cuckoldry

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

quote:

- You will now be told why you can't debate people 24/7

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

You will no longer think less or more of yourself depending on how good you are at romancing someone else

If only, Paradox.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*ben shapiro ragequits*

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

- The AI trying to ransom itself from your prison will no longer be called "Ransom Yourself"
- Children who reincarnate as an ancestor with sinful traits now acknowledge that isn't actually a good thing
- Fix war participant tooltip not listing the number of knights but just repeating the word knight.
- A faction will no longer courteously greet you before calling you a tyrant
- An imprisoned vassal will no longer scream about rebellion

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
GOTY

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Elizabethan Error posted:

- Fix war participant tooltip not listing the number of knights but just repeating the word knight.
/banging knife and fork on table

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/banging knife and fork on table

- Made it clear in the Knight game concept that Knights represent both the character *and* their retinue of troops; a Knight isn't single-handedly causing 30 casualties

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

quote:

- Outnumbering the enemy now further increases the survivability of your knights

Welsh longbowmen discovered one weird trick for fighting wars. French knights hate it!

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
- Children can no longer start a literalist debate
- Devouring people will now have a clearer impact on your stress level
- Historical characters will no longer be their own parent
- People will no longer judge you harshly for breaking a betrothal to an Eunuch
- Physicians are no longer in two places at once when sick
- Barons married to other landed characters will no longer be naked
- Spymasters will no longer try to dig up dirt on themselves
- You are no longer malnourished and obese for life

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Carnival of Shrews posted:

- You are no longer malnourished and obese for life
They removed Americans from the game?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Some of that seems like a step down

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pouring out a 40 for Roger a Muirbe

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

- Historical characters will no longer be their own parent

- Spymasters will no longer try to dig up dirt on themselves

From what little I know about CK games I would've guessed these were inherent aspects of the franchise.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They are and we are all very sad to lose them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

haveblue posted:

Pouring out a 40 for Roger a Muirbe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOhnrjdYOc

(it's spelled Muirebe)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

that had to be at least the second-most famous ck2 bug of all time, how the gently caress did it happen again in ck3? next you'll tell me that the horse trait is heritable.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SilverPleasantKinglet-mobile.mp4

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1311707473439588353?s=20

Kennel has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Oct 1, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Skilled players can land in the plane hole but I don't think anyone has made it out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Release the helicopters, Microsoft :argh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Flight Simulator doesn't have any planes with a TWR over 1?

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Doc Hawkins posted:

that had to be at least the second-most famous ck2 bug of all time, how the gently caress did it happen again in ck3? next you'll tell me that the horse trait is heritable.

Thanks to a tendency for absolutely everyone to be having illicit affairs, the 'dirt' tended to be more along these lines:

https://twitter.com/DeathBySmiley/status/1300951256245166082

More CK3 spy shenanigans here, including someone whose spymaster volunteered to try out a debilitating [Edit: and very likely lethal] poison on...herself? That seems like it should be incorporated into the game somehow, giving you a Mad Scientist Spymaster.

RandomFerret posted:

Some Most of that seems like a step down

Scriptural literalism would come on leaps and bounds (at least as a spectator sport) if high-profile adherents had to debate a 6-year-old child once a year, and in public.

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Oct 1, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

that stare, wow.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Thanks to a tendency for absolutely everyone to be having illicit affairs, the 'dirt' tended to be more along these lines:

https://twitter.com/DeathBySmiley/status/1300951256245166082

More CK3 spy shenanigans here, including someone whose spymaster volunteered to try out a debilitating [Edit: and very likely lethal] poison on...herself? That seems like it should be incorporated into the game somehow, giving you a Mad Scientist Spymaster.

Scriptural literalism would come on leaps and bounds (at least as a spectator sport) if high-profile adherents had to debate a 6-year-old child once a year, and in public.

https://twitter.com/rowan_lion/status/1301169555415404548?s=21

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I love CK. Most of the game just consists of plain text files, including comments.

Like, common/defines/00_defines.txt:

code:
        #Skill levels and descriptions for every level
        #Skill levels in loc are defined in 00_basic_values.txt, due to current script limitations. DO NOT UPDATE THESE WITHOUT CHANGING THOSE, and vice versa.
        SKILL_LEVELS_VALUES = {
                4 #poor
                8 #avg
                12 #good
                16 #exc
                70 #nice
                71 #exc
        }
        SKILL_LEVELS_TEXTS = {
                "SKILL_TERRIBLE"
                "SKILL_POOR"
                "SKILL_AVERAGE"
                "SKILL_GOOD"
                "SKILL_EXCELLENT"
                "SKILL_NICE"
                "SKILL_EXCELLENT"
        }
I honestly wonder why they still do that on Windows. This actually impacts load times there because Windows I/O is utter dogshit.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Antigravitas posted:

I honestly wonder why they still do that on Windows. This actually impacts load times there because Windows I/O is utter dogshit.

Probably to make modding the game easier.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

since when is 70 nice

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

This actually impacts load times there because Windows I/O is utter dogshit.
Off topic, but can you elaborate on that? I keep seeing this, and every time I wonder why is it so terrible.
Is it because the underlying systems were designed for spinning disks, and changing it could break loads of programs?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Doc Hawkins posted:

since when is 70 nice

It's off by one. Everything in programming is. It displays correctly ingame though. :eng101:

BadMedic posted:

Off topic, but can you elaborate on that? I keep seeing this, and every time I wonder why is it so terrible.
Is it because the underlying systems were designed for spinning disks, and changing it could break loads of programs?

It has nothing to do with the medium the files are on. Accessing a file, or even just checking for the modification date of a file, carries a ton of overhead on Windows. It could be in a ramdisk and will still be slower by a factor of 10 to 50 (!!!).

I think it is because the security model of Windows is a lot more, let's say, involved. Each time you try to access a file it does an entire song and dance routine involving security tokens, parsing complicated ACL with inheritance and whatnot, and so on. Conceptually, checking whether you are allowed to access a file (even with ACL) is comparatively easy on other platforms. And on other system you don't have a bit of software trying to scan every single file for signatures, upload it to somewhere in russia for "analysis", or call a web service to see if other people think it's bad.

Also, in the *NIX ecosystem you have a lot of nerds who are used to using lots of little files (see maildir email format, every large C codebase) and they get extremely huffy if something takes too long, so the use case of "check last modification time on this file" has been tuned to absurdity.

In the end, it means Linux can copy hundreds of thousands of small files in seconds while Explorer.exe will take hours to first enumerate them all, then start copying at 3kB/s

Anyway, that's why you see games stuff all their data into large files. They usually implement a file system like structure on top because I/O (at least reading) is okay once you've got the file open.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
More info/context at this Sora News article.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtSGhMshHBg

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Still a less humiliating fate than in ROTJ

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

The other night I had a bizarre glitch happen in Smash Ultimate, first one for me.

Joined as Ganon and was replaced by a CPU Mario with a lower GSP, no pic, and an unknown quantity of lives. After the match ended on my screen and I wanted to rematch, my character switched to Cloud until I quit out of the lobby.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... En... enderman???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Zereth posted:

... En... enderman???

Minecraft Steve is in smash now, enderman is an alternate skin.