Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That was the best episode. All the music cues and everything was great. Plus it felt earned because we’d got to know the characters by now, so the show felt free to play around with them a little. Like a fine gumbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I knew I knew that rat species from somewhere! It's from an early TNG episode where the enterprise has to try to broker peace between them and their neighbours, another race of lizard people they like to eat.

The episode comedically ends with the rat-dude diplomat eating one of the lizard people diplomats while the enterprise crew was distracted. :shrug:

Which episode was this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Visual references, like the ship cheesecake shots, or how everything is lit differently, or random crew people cussing all of a sudden, are much better than the overt name dropping they've been using as a crutch too much. (Though I did think the one ref I recall - If this was real it would be the Enterprise -, I thought worked well and made sense). When you're doing parody like this, you have to trust that your audience gets it, and hopefully this episode shows that the writers room is starting to be more confident and trust us to get the joke more even if it's not directly winked at or highlighted. We won’t really know until next season.

But yeah I loved this episode, absolutely tone perfect parody of movie Trek, specifically the TNG movies, while also being a good holodeck episode!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“Not-a today! Not-a on da Vinci’s watch!”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That long rear end flying around the ship while weeping scene was incredible.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The film grain complete with hairs and spots was fantastic, too. It instantly gave the episode a sense of nostalgia for those old TOS movies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I just checked imdb and apparently her surname in Mariner and her firstname is Beckett.

Which does answer that question but raises yet more. And it's not like there hasn't been time to explore this stuff, there's been an entire episode where Mariner and Freeman were alone together.

I'm assuming that her father's last name is also Mariner. I'm guessing Freeman didn't take her husband's last name when they married, a practice that is quite common in African American families.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That was the best Lower Decks yet. The show has evolved and found its footing staggeringly fast - considering how manic and loud and sub-Family-Guy-"hey, remember this?"-reference-y the first episode was, it's almost a different show.

And holy poo poo, serial storytelling out of nowhere - wait, only one more episode left? Dammit!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And the week after next, we’re back to the Amazing Adventures of Michael Burnham!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

HD DAD posted:

And the week after next, we’re back to the Amazing Adventures of Michael Burnham!

At least there is a cat this season.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

At least there is a cat this season.

HER NAME IS DR. T'ANA!

_____________________________/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm assuming that her father's last name is also Mariner. I'm guessing Freeman didn't take her husband's last name when they married, a practice that is quite common in African American families.

Oh yeah there's any number of plausible reasons it could be. Freeman kept her name (it's increasingly common across all families) and Mariner at some point changed to her Father's name as a dig at her mother. Maybe. But the show literally hasn't touched on Mariner's direct relationship with her father, despite us seeing him on screen. We know he's a senior Starfleet officer and without knowing if they're still together he seems to have a functioning relationship with Freeman.

My complaint isn't that there isn't a good explanation and plausible narrative for these characters and their family dynamic, my complaint is that the show has set up and then completely passed on the opportunity to explore them. It's why I'm watching and frustrated - it feel like the show is perpetually on the cusp of genuine greatness and then flubs it by being lazy.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I just started watching, but did they program film grain into the holodeck??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

I just started watching, but did they program film grain into the holodeck??

They programmed an aspect ratio into it

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

This is amazing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

How did they make the music sound so much like the original without actually being it?

My thoughts exactly.

I loved the hell out of this episode. :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
On occasion, I feel like Mariner knows she’s in a Trek show in the same way Deadpool knows he exists in a comic. She namechecked Xon from Phase 2 in the most recent episode, and that’s a hella deep cut.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

On occasion, I feel like Mariner knows she’s in a Trek show in the same way Deadpool knows he exists in a comic. She namechecked Xon from The Motion Picture in the most recent episode, and that’s a hella deep cut.

Fixed that for you. I know what you're saying, but he's the science officer who gets transport accidented before McCoy beams up, so he is canon.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Fixed that for you. I know what you're saying, but he's the science officer who gets transport accidented before McCoy beams up, so he is canon.

You have received 1 Trekkie demerit for confusing Xon with Sonak.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Sonak

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only ONLY ONLY thing I will nitpick is that they’re not really imaginative with the Trek species lately. Like.. you’ve so many interesting alien species to work with and you’re giving us a bird doctor, rat and lizard people, and .. mosquito boimler last week?

Rat and lizard people worked for the cannibalism joke I /guess/, but the psych is just a straight up bird? C’mon give us more weirdos.

Plus the lizards were kind of cute and delicious:3:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

A.o.D. posted:

Which episode was this?

Lonely Among Us. The one where Picard gets possessed by an electricity monster.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

You have received 1 Trekkie demerit for confusing Xon with Sonak.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Sonak

I swore they moved Xon over from Phase 2 to TMP just like Decker and Iila.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

How did they make the music sound so much like the original without actually being it?

The Orville did it, like, every single week. James Horner has a really distinctive, easily replicable style.

Hint, hint: it’s literally his name!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, I'm unsure whether Rutherford has a hero-worship man-crush, or an actual crush expressed through the medium of engineering nerdery. I kinda hope the latter.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Aces High posted:

Mariner is starting to chill out a bit, which is nice, but Boimler is just taking a nosedive and it kind of sucks. I think my issue is that it feels like punching down, the dude's just an ensign so he's already at the bottom so him continuing to be the butt of jokes or continuously poo poo on by the plot and cast isn't funny, it's mean. It also doesn't help that any wins he gets are immediately taken away by things like "oh it was a parasite, I guess no one actually loves him" or "oh look, Mariner set up the Ferengi thing, she's always hypercompetent" or the whole entire plot of going to the planet for medical anomalies.

I guess my problem is I don't like characters as punching bags when they don't really deserve it, he's not Jerry from Rick & Morty, he seems more like a less competent Barkley.

About the episode I would bet money that in-universe Mariner has been working on that holodeck movie for quite a while, she just now has a group of friends that will fill out the cast

Agreed, 100%. The poor guy just wants to do a good job and be a good guy and every episode is making GBS threads on him.

Also, I clocked that Paul F Tompkins cameo as soon as he appeared, good to see.

edit: and the resolution to that Tendi arc for the ep was pretty weird. Mariner realized that maybe you shouldn't cast the Orion person as a stereotype, but Tendi realizes that yeah actually stereotypes are sometimes true? Tendi should have just accepted the apology and forgave. I'm not sure what they were going for by having her meet her in the middle.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 2, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So Dr. T'ana's line, "Godspeed you crazy f_____"

uhm

Was that censored word the word I think it is? Kind of a surprise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They've had a few censored fucks on the show so far.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Some Orions haven't been pirates for almost FIVE YEARS!

Best line from the best episode of the best nuTrek

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Humerus posted:

Some Orions haven't been pirates for almost FIVE YEARS!

Best line from the best episode of the best nuTrek

Oh no, it was definitely Shaxs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

They've had a few censored fucks on the show so far.

That's not what I thought it was... Fucker's what I'm hoping it was though.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I propose we extend Lower Decks to an hour, and cut Discovery to 25 min each ep.

To hell with Discovery, just give Lower Decks all of their budget and make each episode an hour so that every episode will have movie production quality and better writing.

edit-- oh wait, reading is hard

Zaroff posted:

How about we extend Lower Decks by 13 episodes and just cut Discovery?
:hmmyes:

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 2, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

That's not what I thought it was... Fucker's what I'm hoping it was though.

What else would it possibly be except fucks/fuckers?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

In the context of the two of them talking about running away together, it almost seemed like a homophobic slur starting with "F". Idk, I was shocked and stopped it and listened a few times because I was sort of taken aback, and really can't hear it very well, so I asked.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Some people thought it was a different f-word used rutherford and billings being gaily romantic, which absolutely wasn't intended but was a pretty unfortunate possibility given the context of the beep.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, that. I really don't want that word anywhere near Trek, even in a raunchy comedy, so... :ohdear:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Might be time to log off for a bit if that ever crossed your mind as a possibility, tbh.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Because I misheard/misinterpreted a bleeped swear?

Edit: Okay I can see on review how it's incredibly unlikely, but at first blush it seemed like they were trying to be "cutesy" by bleeping it out and putting it in the mouth of the "crass, no-nonsense" doctor.

I'm obviously sensitive to it due to my past, and was jumping the gun.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 2, 2020

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Marnier is better Khan then Benedict Cumberbatch

I said it and I mean it.

In your face J J Abrams.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
This was definitely my favorite episode of the season. Weirdly, the visual gag that had me laughing the most was just the stupid amount of lens flare that suddenly existed while they were flying around the ship, but especially the fist scene on the bridge after they dock. That and Tendi's line about many Orions having not been pirates for over 5 years.

What a weird world we are in when the Star Trek show I actually look forward to is a cartoon. Think I agree with the others they should move Discovery's budget to Lower Decks. Also should also give it the budget from Picard and Section 31 (sigh that this is even going to exist). I will remain hopeful for Strange New Worlds, even if I should probably know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Because I misheard/misinterpreted a bleeped swear?

Edit: Okay I can see on review how it's incredibly unlikely, but at first blush it seemed like they were trying to be "cutesy" by bleeping it out and putting it in the mouth of the "crass, no-nonsense" doctor.

I'm obviously sensitive to it due to my past, and was jumping the gun.

It's cool, I was being kind of a dick about it in retrospect, sorry.