Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That was a postgame passenger? Huh, then I guess it makes sense that she was a bit more bare bones.

And yeah, I made that mistake. Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I basically ended up giving fruit all the time, and the passengers that didn't want it got popcorn, plain rice or fruity pies. It's a good thing I didn't care about 100%ing Spiritfarer from the get-go.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Sep 29, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

That was a postgame passenger? Huh, then I guess it makes sense that she was a bit more bare bones.

And yeah, I made that mistake. Twice.

Yeah, there is a post game passenger and a post-game ability that improves fishing and mining which is so laughable as a post game ability it feels like a sick joke.

I also annoyingly didn't get the optional dnd nerd until the end game and screwed myself up for progression something fierce. Its also a little annoying how to retrigger his minigame is different from everyone else and isn't explained.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shadow of War: In the final mission you have who have a boss who alters between an attack you must counter, and an attack you must dodge. The thing is after a certain point he'll just spam the second attack over and over again with no way to hit him. I have no clue if the game has soft-locked because I can't progress at all, even after reloading on death.

It's also a terrible idea to mix the above traditional boss on the same field as a battle of randomly-generated orcs. There's too much poo poo going on to properly concentrate and there's little opportunity to dodge the spears and arrows thrown your way.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I was enjoying ReCore till (what I assume is) the final mission. You work your way through different ‘Floors’, each with several arena battles. Each of these battles can be tediously long and you start right back at the beginning of the battle if you die.

I spent a couple of evenings fighting my way to about half way through Floor 3. I looked up how close to the end I was (never a good sign), discovered there were another two floors after this one and stopped. It’s just a grind by this point.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shadow of War: Originally once you beat the campaign you'd have to grind though 20 sieges just to see the three-minute ending-cinematic. They later patched this to five sieges and added a punch of features and polish to this section. I'd rather they just have a skip-ahead button because after 30 hours you've beaten all the campaigns content and everything else is randomly-generated post-game fluff.

Imagine if you couldn't watch the last five minutes of FFX unless you sat through six hours of Blitzball after beating Sin.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Imagine if you couldn't watch the last five minutes of FFX unless you sat through six hours of Blitzball after beating Sin.

Or going around the world engaging in meaningless cutscenes and other missable stuff just to get 100% to see a couple minutes of cutscene at the end haha that'd be nuts right.

Though, yeah, it feels like they added that at the end because they (or, more likely, the publisher) realized they could sell some lootboxes if they added extra padding to use them on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Shadow of War: Originally once you beat the campaign you'd have to grind though 20 sieges just to see the three-minute ending-cinematic. They later patched this to five sieges and added a punch of features and polish to this section. I'd rather they just have a skip-ahead button because after 30 hours you've beaten all the campaigns content and everything else is randomly-generated post-game fluff.

The worst example of this I've seen in recent years is Octopath Traveler. All eight of the party members have four chapters that go through their own personal story, but have a couple of plot threads that connect to other party story's plot threads, which are all finally resolved in the finale chapter.

The finale chapter is roughly estimated as having an average level requirement about twenty levels higher than the party member finales, and is designed around the assumption that you're using the advanced secret jobs that you need to complete SEPARATE bonus dungeons to unlock.

And you have to do it to learn what the hell's 'really' going on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

The worst example of this I've seen in recent years is Octopath Traveler. All eight of the party members have four chapters that go through their own personal story, but have a couple of plot threads that connect to other party story's plot threads, which are all finally resolved in the finale chapter.

The finale chapter is roughly estimated as having an average level requirement about twenty levels higher than the party member finales, and is designed around the assumption that you're using the advanced secret jobs that you need to complete SEPARATE bonus dungeons to unlock.

And you have to do it to learn what the hell's 'really' going on.

I really enjoyed Octopath traveler... for like two hours. Then all the stupid “way too separated” issues started popping up and it lost me pretty quick.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I 'beat' Arkham Knight but I sure as poo poo didn't bother pick up every riddler trophy to see the credits. Why does Batman need to pick them up this time? He's got a lot more pressing poo poo to wrap up at the moment.

A game ought to have three kinds of endings regarding completion. The bad ending if you take a shortcut or give-up, the normal ending for beating the campaign that resolves the story and ties every loose end, and the extra ending scene as a reward for collecting all the enchanted ding-dongs.

There's a reason Super Mario 64 only requires 70/120 stars to beat the game. If nothing is optional then everything is an obligation.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Sep 30, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can see why aimless grinding isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the missions are all bad to terrible so the postgame kind of feels like just more of the good parts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A game ought to have three kinds of endings regarding completion. The bad ending if you take a shortcut or give-up, the normal ending for beating the campaign that resolves the story and ties every loose end, and the extra ending scene as a reward for collecting all the enchanted ding-dongs.

Make it an UFO ending a la the Silent Hill games. Irrelevant to the plot and silly, and hey, you worked really hard so you deserve something extra. Your friends will just look it up on Youtube, but not you, you will treasure those two minutes of quickly drawn sketches!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Though, yeah, it feels like they added that at the end because they (or, more likely, the publisher) realized they could sell some lootboxes if they added extra padding to use them on.

I think it's probably because after the first one there were hundreds of people saying "Man, I'd like a game that's just 40 hours of messing around with the nemesis system". Careful what you wish for!

The game is just kind of too much in general. The goofy orcs from the first were fun but now every third orc is a goofy orc and it's just annoying. On a related note the orcs in general slid a bit too far to the right on the menacing monster<--->cockney goofball continuum to the point where they don't really work as bad guys for me anymore. The skill tree is about 3 times as big as it needed to be. The player and orcs and gear all having exp levels is totally unnecessary and is clearly in service of the now defunct "get the player to buy exp boosters and orcs from us" business model. There's something like 8 orc tribes, including 2 that are paid dlc, with various different attributes but they all blend together so the only difference you pay attention to is the set bonus on the gear they drop. Too many little doodads on the map you have to run to and press RB on and if you get all 50 you unlock a skill...

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Speaking of fantasy stuff, I'm always trying to get into more RPGs, but there seems to be this rule that when there is voice-overs in RPGs, that every line has to be delivered incredible slowly and deliberately to give a sense of epic grandeur, even down to the most throwaway lines. I bet most of these games would shave about ten hours off of playtime if people delivered lines like a normal person would.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hollow Knight does this really well, IMO. It provides several endings depending on how much of a completionist you are. Even the weakest one is reasonably satisfying. I didn't even get to the second one because I apparently suck too much at platforming and could never defeat those mantis bosses in the Queen's Garden.

(Spoiler alert on the link below)
https://hollowknight.fandom.com/wiki/Endings_(Hollow_Knight)

- Beat the game by following all the leads straight to the final boss, picking up what weapons and powerups you chance upon on your way. When you beat the big chained-up boss, you get a pretty dramatic reveal as a payoff: it turns out the boss was once YOU (or rather, a previous incarnation of you), who was sacrificed to take the infection into his body to contain it. You are chained up in his place and infected, and soon adventurers will come to challenge you in an attempt to cleanse the world of your corruption Credits roll.

- Explore more of the world, find an unexpected ally in a remote part of the map. Acquire a special weapon. You get help during the final boss fight, and if you play your cards right, you get to a tougher boss fight, which ends with actually purging the evil infection from the world.

- In addition to the above, play through a bonus area full of super tough boss fights. Re-beat every boss you encountered in the game again in a powered-up version, followed by new ultra-hard top bosses. Then you get to fight the SECRET final boss, who caused the infection to begin with.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Oct 1, 2020

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think it's probably because after the first one there were hundreds of people saying "Man, I'd like a game that's just 40 hours of messing around with the nemesis system". Careful what you wish for!

The game is just kind of too much in general. The goofy orcs from the first were fun but now every third orc is a goofy orc and it's just annoying. On a related note the orcs in general slid a bit too far to the right on the menacing monster<--->cockney goofball continuum to the point where they don't really work as bad guys for me anymore. The skill tree is about 3 times as big as it needed to be. The player and orcs and gear all having exp levels is totally unnecessary and is clearly in service of the now defunct "get the player to buy exp boosters and orcs from us" business model. There's something like 8 orc tribes, including 2 that are paid dlc, with various different attributes but they all blend together so the only difference you pay attention to is the set bonus on the gear they drop. Too many little doodads on the map you have to run to and press RB on and if you get all 50 you unlock a skill...

there were so many times I'd be fighting like three guys who had just introduced themselves only to be interrupted by a fourth, fifth, and sixth guy shouting OI GRAVEWALKAH BETCHA THOUGHT OL BOOTSLUT WERE DEAD so yeah, too much is about right

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Dimwit!

(I do love that that was Nolan North)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Karma Tornado posted:

there were so many times I'd be fighting like three guys who had just introduced themselves only to be interrupted by a fourth, fifth, and sixth guy shouting OI GRAVEWALKAH BETCHA THOUGHT OL BOOTSLUT WERE DEAD so yeah, too much is about right

Mods, change my name to Ol' Bootslut.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Oct 1, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In Cadence of Hyrule, one of the many random equippable items you find is the good ol' Iron Boots, which weigh you down so you're no longer affected by wind affects and such. All good, except I just put on a pair, then found a secret area that required me to float up on some air currents to get into it...looks like I'm SOL because there doesn't seem to be a way to unequip the boots. Extra annoying because you can do that for at least one other type in the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Are you sure they were Iron Boots and not Cement Shoes? :P

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

Dimwit!

(I do love that that was Nolan North)

I think Shadow of War has an insane gathering of male voice actors voicing nemesis orcs, and because they each do several variations its very likely that one of those will remind you of a different role they did.

Also, Kumail Nanjiani sounding like Kumail Nanjiani.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txvKrTplOVs&t=235s

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Oct 1, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The mordor games both had massive file-sizes for their eras (40gb in 2014, 100gb in 2017). Since none of the maps where especially full of detail I'm going to assume most of the space is eaten up by orc-taunts.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the best and worst stop-gap side-games? This is when to fill the gap between two major installments of a franchise a smaller side-game is made, usually by another studio under the same publisher, and it repurposes the same engine and a number of assets. Sometimes it's intended to release on last-gen hardware.

Positive: Borderlands TPS, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas

Haven't Played: Resident Evil 3 (1999), all those later Mega Man titles on the NES, Persona 4 was made in just a year out of recycled parts and spawned a franchise. GTA: Vice City and San Andreas.

Tepid: Far Cry Primal. This game has no reason to exist when you can just play Horizon Zero Dawn instead. Final Fantasy X-2, this game has merit but it's incredibly embarrassing to be seen playing.

loving Sucks: Arkham Origins. No question about it. I played it for the first time in 2018 and it still blew. The unfixed bugs, the boring map, the wasted storyline, the missable challenges.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

San Andreas is the best GTA game, no contest.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What are the best and worst stop-gap side-games? This is when to fill the gap between two major installments of a franchise a smaller side-game is made, usually by another studio under the same publisher, and it repurposes the same engine and a number of assets. Sometimes it's intended to release on last-gen hardware.

Does that Wolfenstein game that came out last year count? I typically enjoy shooters, but I straight up noped out of that one after a few attempts. EVERYTHING was bullet spongey, and there was none of the fun and campy violence of the first one. Such a downer.

In the same vein as Primal, but Blood Dragon was pretty boring outside of the admittedly humorous tutorial opener. I never played the Martian/space game from 5 but I imagine it was "not good."

Does DLC count? FO:NV had that grimdark Treasure of Sierra Madre thing with some supremely awful mechanics for a good chunk of it. Clouds of gas that would kill you making navigating the word even MORE annoying, obnoxious new enemy type, and more stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vice City and San Andreas are side games? I know they're in between 3 and 4 but that doesn't seem right. Maybe VC but if a side game is smaller, SA is considerably bigger in many aspects than GTA 3.

Edit: ah, I see those are in the "Haven't Played" group so that would explain it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Vice City and San Andreas were built fairly quickly by today's standards, since it was effectively GTA3 with a load of new crap bolted on. GTA4 was ground zero with a new engine, which inevitably disappointed people since it lacked all the cool features from SA and instead offered the world's brownest color-palette.

I played SA only up to the train level, like a lot of people.

The same thing was with Baldur's Gate. The sequel is twice as big as the original with none of the dreadful filler, as it was built on the slightly engine of the first game which allowed for a faster production-pipeline. The immediate next game by Bioware was Neverwinter Nights, made on a new 3D engine. I've only played it for ten minutes but I do know that nobody is nostalgic for Neverwinter Nights.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Oct 1, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vice city was created in something like eight months after GT3 became a smash success.

The stories games originally for PSP are also good side games, vcs especially had a ton of cool features that should've been brought forward, instead they barely got played

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Stalker: Clear Sky was pretty bad, with mostly the same locations as ShoC, possibly the worst first level in an FPS as regards the rest of the game, and you got robbed quite often, for someone who has some fairly large guns.

The swamp was a horrible level, with lovely inaccurate guns, huge amounts of radioactivity everywhere and boars that just loved to ambush you and eat your face off. To even leave the place you needed to run a gauntlet of miniguns, and then fend off laser accurate grenades for the rest of the game.

But, on the plus side, I now know how to express my dominance in Russian and call someone a donkey at the same time, which is nice.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Positive: Borderlands TPS, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas

Haven't Played: Resident Evil 3 (1999), all those later Mega Man titles on the NES, Persona 4 was made in just a year out of recycled parts and spawned a franchise. GTA: Vice City and San Andreas.

Tepid: Far Cry Primal. This game has no reason to exist when you can just play Horizon Zero Dawn instead. Final Fantasy X-2, this game has merit but it's incredibly embarrassing to be seen playing.

loving Sucks: Arkham Origins. No question about it. I played it for the first time in 2018 and it still blew. The unfixed bugs, the boring map, the wasted storyline, the missable challenges.

I beat HZD twice and then moved on to Far Cry Primal. I really liked the language aspect of it - it seemed pretty ballsy. But yeah, its a poor man's HZD.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The mordor games both had massive file-sizes for their eras (40gb in 2014, 100gb in 2017). Since none of the maps where especially full of detail I'm going to assume most of the space is eaten up by orc-taunts.

They're all so long too! I tried to replay SoW recently and I backstabbed an orc general and fought him for a second, then he finally activated and did his little faceoff - so he stepped back and delivered like 3 sentences of whatever bullshit, as my character stood passively to the side just letting this half-dead orc taunt him before I was finally given control again. I uninstalled shortly after.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They really should have had some in-game work-around for the orc encounters. If you can turn off looting-animations in games about looting, then you should be able to skip the foreplay in a game about loving (things up).

I do think Shadow of War is a better game all around than Mordor. Ninety-percent of Mordor's content has nothing to do with the Nemesis system, and the Nemesis system itself only has to be engaged with twice: Kill all the warchiefs in the first zone, brand all the warchiefs in the second zone. War's world is larger and more visually-appealing, there are no tedious rescue-missions, herb-picking and animal-hunting is gone, and all the little systems feed into one another. The game's controversial launch overshadows it's actual, better state since 2018. While it's dumb that the short ending-scene is locked behind grinding, the ending itself is satisfying and conclusive despite how eye-rolling the rest of the story is.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I don't care how fun Saints Row: Gat out of Hell might hypothetically be to play, but the fact that it doesn't have any sort of radio is decidedly un-boss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Assassin's Creed:Rogue and Brotherhood are two of the best entries in the series and fit this description.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Majora's Mask is one of the better Zelda games and did a lot with mostly recycled assets. Made in under a year too, I'm pretty sure.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They really should have had some in-game work-around for the orc encounters. If you can turn off looting-animations in games about looting, then you should be able to skip the foreplay in a game about loving (things up).

Speaking of that, in Shadow of War when an enemy drops loot you have to walk up to and press R1 to do a 2 second or so animation where you suck it into your glowing hammer. Since killing a captain will almost inevitably leave a mob of 10 more fodder orcs milling around you almost always end up taking a bunch of hits picking the drat loot up (unless you want to waste time pointlessly killing random nameless orcs, I guess). You eventually unlock an upgrade where you automatically pick up loot by walking over it. Just make it work like that without the upgrade!

Similarly you can almost always fast travel when you're not on a quest, except sometimes you can't! I don't know why! You just have to run around for awhile until whatever was aggroing you stops aggroing you, or something. Talion can escape from any situation more or less effortlessly so just let me fast travel all the time!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The same thing was with Baldur's Gate. The sequel is twice as big as the original with none of the dreadful filler, as it was built on the slightly engine of the first game which allowed for a faster production-pipeline. The immediate next game by Bioware was Neverwinter Nights, made on a new 3D engine. I've only played it for ten minutes but I do know that nobody is nostalgic for Neverwinter Nights.

Neverwinter Nights was a single-player campaign, multiplayer functionality and a toolset to make your own modules. Any fondness will come from the combination of the latter two.

The original campaign was dreadful and probably felt like a huge step back to everybody who played Baldur’s Gate. You only could have one companion for example. The first expansion was still rather meh, but ended up being a fine prologue to the second expansion since you could export your character between the two.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arkham Origins was the best one. :colbert:

Best boss fights, best story, the only time in the series ”the joker was behind it all!” made sense, fun gadgets and combat that was often actually challenging.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Regardless of how you rate the other Arkham games Blackgate is the worst by a wide margin. It's not even conceptually a bad idea (2D Arkham metroidvania) it's just terribly executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Remasters that either vastly improve and polish the core game and meshes new content like an organ transplant, or haphazardly adds in new crap and unbalances the experience.

REsident Evil HD: Effectively makes the original obsolete. Timeless graphics, more professional but still hilarious, voice-acting multiple control-schemes, seamlessly adds in the Lisa Trevor subplot, and makes the game more challenging with the Crimson Heads and a broken doorknob. Chris still sucks compared to Jill though.

Majora's Mask 3D: A more convenient journal that tracks every single quest and heart-piece. A conventional save-system. Runs at 30fps and doesn't require you to be a three-handed alien to control the thing. Twinmold is kind of bullshit hard.

Baldur's Gate EE: QOL features appreciated but every attempt to add to the canon makes my teeth clench. They force onto you these companions Beamdog really wants you to find agreeable, when original characters like Edwin didn't give a poo poo if you liked him or not. Went ahead and made a 20-hour fanfiction expansion nobody asked for. Thank god Larian is making Baldur's Gate III instead of Beamdog.