Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

yikes! posted:

I wish I could gamerule this crap out tbh

counterpoint, this is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

GoodluckJonathan posted:

The pope in my game is unlanded and there are barely any Catholics left but he still calls a crusade against me every 5 years or so. The crusade lasts for 15 years because he has no armies or anything for me to fight to increase the war score. Go away pope!!!!!

yeah sometimes it doesnt happen mysteriously. i think only specific Religions have the decision to do it so if you take it over as bon or whatever you might not be able to. but then the catholic AI can just recreate it whenever they want as well if they have a holy site (i think)

strong bird
May 12, 2009

also has anyone found a mod that makes clan governments not dog poo poo

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

strong bird posted:

also has anyone found a mod that makes clan governments not dog poo poo

Someone upthread said that the solution is a diplomacy education

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The abduct -> demand confession thing was stupidly overpowered, but is there any way to spread your religion at all now, other than conquering everything and having your priest convert them one county at a time?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

also if you ever look at the abbasids and wonder why their capital never seems to be Baghdad, one of the strongest counties in the game, its because baghdad is in the persian empire de jure and so they wont make it their capital. you might be thinking surely theyll prioritize having damascus or aleppo then right?? wrong idiot.. capital of one of the greatest powers of the age is in some random snake province in the middle of a desert

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
What QoL mods are people currently using? I don't want to change the gameplay, just stuff like making menuing more efficient and showing information clearer.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

Someone upthread said that the solution is a diplomacy education

im not playing them, i just want to see some more movement out of north africa especially. theyve been taken over by france/byzantine empire in every single one of my games, even the one where i went in and cheated tunisia to be a regional powerhouse with free buildings. they just crumble internally and then cant compete with even the 3000 levies of any feudal power

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Magil Zeal posted:

Also I feel like there's something wonky with the code for equal succession law, I'm able to select it for my realm law even though my faith is female-dominated. I only have two mods installed and neither touches that. I looked at it and there's a trigger_else in the code that I don't think is used correctly (based on my limited experience with modding), there's some kind of special exception for culture:hausa in there but I can't figure out exactly what it's supposed to do (it's the only reference to culture:hausa I can find in the entire common folder).
I'm assuming that's for Daurama (who is Hausa) to allow her to go Female Preference even though there's no normal ability at that stage?

I'm not sure if there's a related bug though - reforming a religion while playing her dynasty, if you keep Equal rights in the religion (which allows Female Preference), will revert succession law back to Equal with no way to change it back as you need High Crown authority, and of course you are still in the 900s tribal stage. Perhaps it's not a bug, but it would have been nice to basically keep it the way it started. Luckily I caught it before the ironman autosave triggered so I could go back and set it to Female Dominated religion. Otherwise my carefully laid plans with a single daughter and 8 sons was going to go to poo poo.

Oh well, looks like my religion now hates men! That's the only problem I have with Ironman (I know I said gently caress Ironman, but eh, it seems there's no big issues with local saves, only cloud). A bug or otherwise obtuse or unintended feature can cause issues.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

France Is The New Sweden. Destroy France

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PancakeTransmission posted:

I'm assuming that's for Daurama (who is Hausa) to allow her to go Female Preference even though there's no normal ability at that stage?

I'm not sure if there's a related bug though - reforming a religion while playing her dynasty, if you keep Equal rights in the religion (which allows Female Preference), will revert succession law back to Equal with no way to change it back as you need High Crown authority, and of course you are still in the 900s tribal stage. Perhaps it's not a bug, but it would have been nice to basically keep it the way it started. Luckily I caught it before the ironman autosave triggered so I could go back and set it to Female Dominated religion. Otherwise my carefully laid plans with a single daughter and 8 sons was going to go to poo poo.

Oh well, looks like my religion now hates men! That's the only problem I have with Ironman (I know I said gently caress Ironman, but eh, it seems there's no big issues with local saves, only cloud). A bug or otherwise obtuse or unintended feature can cause issues.

I thought she just got a special event/decision to force realm succession to female preference rather than setting it manually? I haven't played her so I'm not 100% on that.

And yeah I play in Ironman as well but it is annoying when you hit an undocumented behaviour that seriously fucks you over. Once I made my strong/genius/beautiful heir into my realm priest because she had incredibly high learning, and did not realize this would remove her from inheritance since I wasn't actually giving her a temple holding, just a council position.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
For anyone interested in a unique start in 1066:

In Pereyaslavl, Prince Vsevolod of Ruthenia is an independent ruler of a dukedom (well, grand principality) with four brothers and three sisters who are all royalty dividing up Russia. Two of your brothers are dead at ~30yo, you have 4 rivals (two are your other brothers), and your sisters are queen mother of France, Hungary, and actual queen of Norway. You start with 41 claims and a 13yo male heir who has the genius trait.

You can create a cadet branch on day 1 and start with a pretty good 5.3 income and decent opinions throughout your court. You have 4 nephews who are immediately available for alliances... even if their lieges are your rivals.

My version rolled high intrigue and most of the seducer tree, which seems perfect for how I'm planning to play this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I thought she just got a special event/decision to force realm succession to female preference rather than setting it manually? I haven't played her so I'm not 100% on that.

Yes, it's an event that fires soon after you start. What the other poster is describing is that, if you later reform the religion and leave its gender doctrine at equal, the female-preference succession you got from the event is immediately and silently replaced by equal succession, and then there's no way to put it back because doing so requires high authority, not to mention a bunch of other requirements. If you want it to stay female-preference, you have to change the religion to be female-dominated.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Holy poo poo the Plague just wiped out 4 rulers in less than a year and ended my game. Gnarly

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone messed around with holy orders since the patch?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Broken Cog posted:

Characters with multiple genetic traits are extremely rare in the wild, though a handful of (premade?) courtiers seem to spawn with it sometimes on a fresh start. If you want to catch them all, you might want to consider hooking up either some family members or some vassals with spouses with the right traits, and give it a generation or two.

Edit: Hot tip: If you start as a norse character in 867, there seems to be a certain woman called "Gyda" that always spawns with Beautiful and Quick. Great wife if you're starting with a ruler that already has Quick, like Haraldr Fairhair.

That's really good to know, thanks! Working my way up the good bloodline dynasty legacy tech should help too, although I'm only two in.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really wish there was a way to get bethrothed characters out of another rulers jail. Just go "Hey, this courtier is unimportant to you, and they're betrothed to my brother, here's 50 bucks for you to hand them over". At the moment the only way seems to gift the jailed some money and hope the jailer lets them pay their own ransom.

Edit: I'm even a friend of the jailer.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 2, 2020

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you happen to get a character with exactly 70-1 in any skill, hover over it for a good description after the latest patch

Looks like they still didn't fix the very simple bug where positive Chancellor events will never fire for actually good Chancellors. Literally the check is for "diplomacy < high_skill_rating", as in LESS THAN a high skill. In all the other councillor files the checks are properly like "stewardship > mediocre_skill_rating"

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone messed around with holy orders since the patch?

Yeah, there is now an option to send your kids to a Holy Order essentially removing them from succession.

Don't know if it has to do with religious traits or doctrine though. I was playing as a Zunist and just suddenly started getting the option.

The main benefits are that Holy Orders are great for a realm that has just reformed its faith or converted to a dead religion. Since only you and your vassals are part of the religion it makes it easier for your vassals to attack or defend against everyone else. You will probably never get to use them considering how quickly the AI likes to hire them.

Also don't make the Holy Order in your capital, make it in territory you just took over. That way when you hand the land out to your vassal you will get the option to make another Holy Order. One Holy Order can be quite weak, but when your religion has access to ten of them it greatly improves your vassals chances.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Is there a title history page somewhere?

Also, I take it your liege can do religious/cultural conversions on his vassals?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also that’s misleading as the Makedon dynasty had two different emperors become puppets to non dynastic members

Sure, but Romanos Lekapenos and John Tzimzes didn't establish dynasties of their own (although both proved the power of the seduce scheme, yowza)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so one of my vassals is an intelligent guy married to a beautiful woman, I got the guy as a random champion, set him up with the wife, and granted him some land.
Now, 25 years later, all my sons are landed and married, mostly to his daughters since they have good traits, as a result he has a bunch of alliances, and he has decided the best use of this is to repeatedly attack my neighbour which stomps him every time. As a result he's repeatedly dragging all my sons in and getting them wounded, maimed, jailed or killed.

I should have seen it coming, but it was still hilarious when I finally figured out what was going on.

They really should make it so you cannot call allies to offensive wars if you have negative prestige.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sullat posted:

Sure, but Romanos Lekapenos and John Tzimzes didn't establish dynasties of their own (although both proved the power of the seduce scheme, yowza)

Well yeah but that shows how weak even strong dynasties can be

Sadly puppet rulers arent a thing but it would be cool

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yeah but that shows how weak even strong dynasties can be

Sadly puppet rulers arent a thing but it would be cool

Well there is room for that with the hook system, although yeah you can't currently do so much with them that you are effectively running the realm as a vassal. I hope that regencies get brought back at some point - I know that people mostly just found them to be a pain in the rear end in CK2 but they are the kind of thing that has a lot of potential to be interesting.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Synnr posted:

Is there a title history page somewhere?

Also, I take it your liege can do religious/cultural conversions on his vassals?
Title history is a little book icon on the top of the title dialog.

I haven't seen culture, but I've had lieges convert my counties.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

vassals will occasionally convert to their liege/spouse/local culture and toplevel liege can convert any county in hsi realm to his own culture

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They could do a whole expansion around regencies, puppet rulers, councils seizing the reins, etc. Regencies were sort of boring in CK2, but mostly because there wasn’t a lot to do during them; there should lots of events and ways to fight for control as you grow up (or fade into insanity, whatever). Making education deeper and more interactive would help a lot as well, so you can spend your regency years learning intrigue and making childhood friends so you can have your regent thrown in a volcano the day you turn 16.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man the Commission Epic decision is just bad. 75 renown is basically nothing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Making regrncy either a chance to expand your power or just steal the throne would make becoming a regent worth it and a game in itself

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PittTheElder posted:

It's a ton of prestige (If you manage to make it excellent, you get +5 prestige/month for 10 years), and you can get other events during it that give you an additional 75 renown. 150 renown every 10 years is extremely valuable in the earlygame.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I think central Africa may be ready to feudalize but I'm scared. I'm going for the Mother of Us All achievement so I really don't want to deal with any lost ground. What sort of prep work can I do here?

Alima II here just finished her once in a lifetime kingdom conquest on Egypt, since they were busy with being a crusade target. I didn't think I'd get all the titles myself but I'm thinking of moving my capital up to Cairo since it seems long term better than the capital I've held since Daurama I. I would lose my holy site though, I don't know if that's important.

Maghreb collapsed somehow and Mali got split between a dozen kids when the king met an unfortunate end. Akan down south has been my biggest threat since they've always had way more troops than their size would suggest, they'll have more manpower than me after the switch.

Also I'm 71 years old and daughter is a murderer just like her mom. When she inherits the whole thing is going to go to poo poo and I don't know if feudalism would make it any more unstable. It's supposed to be an expensive transition and my money is going to get divvied up between a lot of kids.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Don't use it for renown, Commission Epic is to generate prestige or piety through the event chain as they give you several decent bump, and then the epic itself is a nice prestige boost for a couple of years. the values for renown are indeed pathetic

e: should've read the rest of the thread, already answered by Broken Cog with a good point about the early game. My bad.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 2, 2020

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

eleven extra elephants posted:

Holy poo poo the Plague just wiped out 4 rulers in less than a year and ended my game. Gnarly

The plague is absolutely not loving around in this game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Operant posted:

The plague is absolutely not loving around in this game

It's weird, because sometimes it does. I've had a few games where the black plague hits me, infects like three people, and it fizzles out and none of them even die from it. Other times it basically annihilates everyone in my court. I kind of miss the disease systems from Reaper's Due - I understand why they were cut from CK3 since they are a bit of a "nice to have" rather than a core feature, but it was always a fun moment to see the plague creeping across the continent and just seeing everywhere it touched go from like, flourishing/booming to maximum depopulation.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Some things in this game are just :psyduck:

the twist is...that's Mafalda

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

It's a ton of prestige (If you manage to make it excellent, you get +5 prestige/month for 10 years), and you can get other events during it that give you an additional 75 renown. 150 renown every 10 years is extremely valuable in the earlygame.

The events can also give you like 500 exp in a random lifestyle. If you do it often enough you might luck into a free perk or two. And yeah, the prestige is actually crazy, especially as a smaller tribal realm.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

binge crotching posted:

Some things in this game are just :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure this is just badly written text - the secret is that Mafalda had a lovechild with Gauthier, and a second with Hildoen. Not that she is her own parent. I know because I have 4 secret bastards with my spymaster lover and that same text shows up 4 times on both myself and my spymaster.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's weird, because sometimes it does. I've had a few games where the black plague hits me, infects like three people, and it fizzles out and none of them even die from it. Other times it basically annihilates everyone in my court. I kind of miss the disease systems from Reaper's Due - I understand why they were cut from CK3 since they are a bit of a "nice to have" rather than a core feature, but it was always a fun moment to see the plague creeping across the continent and just seeing everywhere it touched go from like, flourishing/booming to maximum depopulation.

I just started getting events where my dickhead vassals fling smallpox ridden bodies into my castles. And yet in the tyrant for trying to imprison them after they kill my courtiers and me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trevor Hale posted:

I just started getting events where my dickhead vassals fling smallpox ridden bodies into my castles. And yet in the tyrant for trying to imprison them after they kill my courtiers and me.

Look, it'll be centuries before the Geneva convention. A bit of biological warfare was just harmless fun back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I really hate that claimants have zero interest in having their claims pressed. As far as I can tell nobody will ever accept an invitation to court, even if they lack a good reason not to.