Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

thetan_guy42 posted:

this game was built for save-scumming, matter of fact next game im save scumming every 3% impossible check for all the bullshit i had to deal with the first time around

smhing my drat head over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I keep trying to start a game with a 1155 build and I keep finding new ways to die instantly to excuses existential despair. Eventually I'll learn to save the drat game after I leave my room.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

thetan_guy42 posted:

this game was built for save-scumming, matter of fact next game im save scumming every 3% impossible check for all the bullshit i had to deal with the first time around

Hahahahahahahahahaha

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished it. Definitely liked it. Not nearly as much as a lot of people seem to, but I have a lot of love for the world they built and the overall uniqueness of the game. Lot of stuff about traversal, pacing and gameplay I think could have been better though. But the writing, art direction and tone were great.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thetan_guy42 posted:

first time round this is a terrible, dreadful idea. second time round? sure, do what you want to get all the content you missed, makes sense

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

At the beginning you even get a message about a quick flash of light that I think is him having you in his scope

Oh yeah, I picked one example but there's constant hints in the text if you read closely.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Elaborate please? I know some of that but every?

I think the most significant is the main menu screen being Martinaise from the Deserters perspective

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

staplegun posted:

Ah, yes, the ability to not make a complete fool of yourself when someone casually throws you an item.

Most disappointing moment in the game: when you pull off an amazing catch and KIM ISN’T EVEN LOOKING

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

thetan_guy42 posted:

Staring at this post like how Kim stares at Harry when he fucks up.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
I finished the game and enjoyed it, but some of the 80% checks I failed were incredibly pointless and locked me out of some cool side quest stuff

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Somebody asked me if I could make them a sandwich.

I stared toward the ocean. "No. No one can."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

I stared toward the ocean. "No. No one can."

A Harry will never be a dad joke.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

Finished it. Definitely liked it. Not nearly as much as a lot of people seem to, but I have a lot of love for the world they built and the overall uniqueness of the game. Lot of stuff about traversal, pacing and gameplay I think could have been better though. But the writing, art direction and tone were great.

Pretty much my take, too. The gameplay wasn't especially fun, but as something to do between conversations I guess it did what it needed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's kind of interesting to think about because a lot of people have said that the running around is dead time and a bit repetitive and that is true, but I also feel like if all you did was just teleport between conversations it would probably be a bit much? Like the pacing of the game is that you have a conversation, run around a bit, have another conversation, and so on. It needs the dead time and I feel like it wouldn't have worked as well if it was just a pure visual novel thing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I failed an 80%+ chance to smear coal on my face. My authority is too weak against Kim's :smith:

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Wandering around western Martinaise in a daze in the rain after Kim had gone to bed and I had finally managed to both shave and get rid of the expression (dunno if that's even a spoiler) is genuinely one of my sharpest and favourite memories of the game. It just captured the tone of Harry being a very confused and lonely man fumbling around in the cold and dark so well, and if you got rid of the traversal and made the game a straight VN it would have lost those moments.

That said, would have loved to be able to decentre the camera. Just let me click on my final destination please.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beardless, expressionless Harry is the most cursed poo poo.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

In almost any other game I’d be annoyed by the amount of walking and poking around needed but the atmosphere and music in DE made every minute enjoyable for me. I used to really like adventure games so I may be biased toward this style of play.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My favorite way of progressing and getting what I want is simply roaring as loudly as humanly possible.

Except against Kim.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's kind of interesting to think about because a lot of people have said that the running around is dead time and a bit repetitive and that is true, but I also feel like if all you did was just teleport between conversations it would probably be a bit much? Like the pacing of the game is that you have a conversation, run around a bit, have another conversation, and so on. It needs the dead time and I feel like it wouldn't have worked as well if it was just a pure visual novel thing.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of walking around Martinaise is good, and works for what it does (teleporting would take away a lot of what makes DE such an effective piece of self-reflection), I just found the approach to it the weakest part of a game that excelled in every other area.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

We should've been able to unlock rollerskates.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Heelys DLC. If you have the alcohol/drug modifier you crash and take damage.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

thinking about modding in a slower run speed

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

What's with all the *running*? You run a lot. Is that a standard Precinct 41 practice?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Fister Roboto posted:

Beardless, expressionless Harry is the most cursed poo poo.

I'm playing as him right now but it fits. All the sad music, wandering this destroyed landscape, in a country where dictatorship of the proletariat was tried for real, for once, and was crushed instantly, this landscape made up of failure, it's just so good. It should suck. It all sucks. I've been making the most responsible choices I can but if this game ends in anything other than abject tragedy I'll be shocked

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Better not run too much, you might hurt your limping leg.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Kaysette posted:

What's with all the *running*? You run a lot. Is that a standard Precinct 41 practice?

don't forget searching nearby containers for no apparent reason!

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
it would be cool to drive the kineema but the game is way too small and structured for that. maybe some kind of euro scooter? i dont mind the running

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

thetan_guy42 posted:

it would be cool to drive the kineema but the game is way too small and structured for that. maybe some kind of euro scooter? i dont mind the running

Grand Theft Auto: Revachol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The Hot Coffee controversy but with your necktie

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Grand Theft Auto: Revachol

Jacob Irw DLC when???

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

World War Mammories posted:

hum, interesting. what are the checks here again? I think there are two? electrochemistry to approach and inland empire to have the conversation? I've never not taken the pheromones so I'm not sure of the alternatives to how that scene plays out

I think it's just the first one that matters. Failing it is how I first experienced the end of the game, and it really leaves off the most significant tonal moment of the whole ending sequence (along with the scene when you nap on the island). I think it was a little bit of a mistake to gate such important content in that way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The hoped for sequel must contain one or both of the following: a fistfight while falling from a building, and an epic car chase sequence.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

I really want anyone saying this game isn't well-written to provide an example of a better-written game, because this is easily the best-written game I've ever played, to the point where it's on par with actual literature, which makes sense because the writer is a novelist, and nothing else comes remotely close

e: nothing else i've played. I am totally open to hearing about games better-written than this.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 2, 2020

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

anime tupac posted:

I really want anyone saying this game isn't well-written to provide an example of a better-written game, because this is easily the best-written game I've ever played, to the point where it's on par with actual literature, which makes sense because the writer is a novelist, and nothing else comes remotely close

The devs took some influence from Kentucky Route Zero, which is outstanding in its best moments.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

FPyat posted:

The devs took some influence from Kentucky Route Zero, which is outstanding in its best moments.

i should really revisit that. i bounced off it at a weird moment in my life and didn't give it a fair shot.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
KRZ is so much worse than Disco Elysium holy poo poo

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

EorayMel posted:

Better not run too much, you might hurt your limping leg.

Is this actually a thing? I walked everywhere after the tribunal. and in the church too. just in case

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I tried to not run at all in the first day to see if Kim still comments on all the running but I think he still does. Might have hosed up and run a little bit though, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

anime tupac posted:

e: nothing else i've played. I am totally open to hearing about games better-written than this.

I do think DE is well written, but other than KRZ which has been mentioned, check out Pathologic 2. It's an (intended) nightmare to play, but you can tweak the difficulty to be more way less stressful than the devs designed it to be.